Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firing Pin replacment after how many Rds???

Options
  • 08-05-2019 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

After how many rounds should I be looking to replace the firing pin?

I have had a couple of light strikes using my cci Std Velocity .22 rounds. I'm not sure if its a bad batch of ammo or is my Firing Pin worn, causing the light strikes (the round will fire if i reinsert it into the breech and it strikes in a different place)
    I've also noticed that the cci seems very dirty - lot more than previous batches...I reckon).

The FA is about 3 or 4 years old - few thousand rds through it - never a bad strike before this.

I have noticed where the hammer hits the back of the firing pin seems pinned (is that the correct term? looks like it was hit with...well a hammer :-) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

What type of gun?
    2] Have you cleaned it? I mean breaking down the bolt and mechanism and surgically cleaning it to a white glove inspection standard? .22 ammo is nortiously dirty,and some designs are more tempermental to dirtthan others from .22 ammo.
    Try that first, then check the FP for wear&tear,which would be unusual.As they are usually hardned steel.Much harder than .22 brass. Then check/replace if possible the firing pin spring they could be getting worn?

"peened," I think is what it is called as in ball peen hammer. Shouldnt really make a difference,as that is supposed to be hardned steel hitting the firing pin,so unless you got a gun with a sloppy case hardening hammer job.Which could account for the problem too?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

So if everything was correct the firing pin would not need replacement?

The Peened part is the part that the Hammer strikes - I can see definite peening or mushrooming of the end. The firing end doesn't look too bad, but I reckon that if the hammer end is a bit worn it reduces the overall length of the FP. Resulting the the firing pin not striking as deep into the .22 rim = light strike...

Anyway, I have a spare FP here and might as well fit it - small cost and see what happens...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As Grizz said first port of call should always be to strip and thoroughly clean. That means stripping the bolt down too and cleaning everything.

Avoid dry firing. Continuous dry firing, and i mean continuously doing it rather than a single repetitive string of dry fires, will damage the FP.

Try other ammo to make sure it's not an ammo issue. Poor ammo, improper storage or rough handling can cause issues.

Once you eliminate each possible cause it can only lead to one culprit.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

There's a lot of sh1te CCI ammo out there. Their quality control certainly isn't as good as it was about five or six years ago.

Advertisement