Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Gutted for Kelleher if that's the case, he'll likely miss out on Irish camps after Christmas (if he was to be called up) if it's more than 4 weeks for recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Gutted for Kelleher if that's the case, he'll likely miss out on Irish camps after Christmas (if he was to be called up) if it's more than 4 weeks for recovery.

Now I could be and probably 100% wrong but is the Christmas camp all that much training?

I thought it was more of a chance to get together, review the previous season and then confirm works on's going forward.

As I said I could be wrong?

I think Tracey has been playing well and I think Kelleher had a mixed game on Saturday so no harm if he has broken his hand.

Cronin might be a bit raw to start immediately in Europe but hopefully fit enough to be an option off the bench.

Kelleher had a mixed game? I thought he played well.....quick look and 7.5 out of 10 on websites. Also 9 carries and 8 metre's made.

What was the mixed bag?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Kelleher had a mixed game? I thought he played well.....quick look and 7.5 out of 10 on websites. Also 9 carries and 8 metre's made.

What was the mixed bag?

Mixed bag were a few missed lineout throws - some overthrown some did not hit the man, some stolen - don't know how many it was but it was enough to for me to notice it.

He also went off his feet in a ruck down the wing and a few more penalties given away. It wasn't significant in the outcome of the match but it was enough to for me to say he wasn't playing to the high standards he set for himself in the first half of the season.

Mixed bag were a few missed lineout throws - some overthrown some did not hit the man, some stolen - don't know how many it was but it was enough to for me to notice it.

He also went off his feet in a ruck down the wing and a few more penalties given away. It wasn't significant in the outcome of the match but it was enough to for me to say he wasn't playing to the high standards he set for himself in the first half of the season.

You need to make allowances for young players. It is still the first half of season and he is still learning. He won't make the same mistakes again.

To be honest he is doing a hell of a lot more good than bad.

Listen to Sexton with Larmour when he broke through, it was semi v Scarlets
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9QrePed0p8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Leinster lost one lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

What are you talking about.....Leinster lost one lineout and he gave away one penalty....I was at the game he played great not sure what you were watching mate

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah Kelleher was pretty good. 1 lost line out, although there was another overthrow that we gathered so wouldnt have counted as lost. But overall Kelleher was good I thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

Leinster lost one lineout.

More than one dodgy throw - we may have gathered them all but more than one dodgy throw. The overthrown was regathered but it still a missed throw.

Don't know where some people are getting that he conceded one penalty - he was certainly borderline on a few breakdowns where he went off his feet mightn't have gotten pinged for it though.

I rate Kelleher a lot I think he had a good game and didn't get outmanned by the physicality of European rugby. I think he would be in with shout come February.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

More than one dodgy throw - we may have gathered them all but more than one dodgy throw. The overthrown was regathered but it still a missed throw.

Don't know where some people are getting that he conceded one penalty - he was certainly borderline on a few breakdowns where he went off his feet mightn't have gotten pinged for it though.

I rate Kelleher a lot I think he had a good game and didn't get outmanned by the physicality of European rugby. I think he would be in with shout come February.

Criticising players for being illegal but not getting pinged at the breakdown is completely backwards.

The breakdown is such a mess of contradictory rules that someone who can act illegally and not get penalised should be rewarded.

Richie McCaw literally made a career of it

We're definitely in agreement that Kelleher is the real deal and has more to offer but your basing it on one lost throw and one overthrow don't really hold water when you consider Tracy and Cronin as the alternatives. Both are better throwers than their reputations among some suggest. But losing a lineout is an occupational hazard with these lads also.

.... as for the bolded point. I imagine some people are getting that he only conceded one penalty by the fact that he gave away one penalty :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Team for next weekend?

Think I'd like to see:

1. Cian Healy
    2. James Tracy
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Devin Toner
    5. Scott Fardy
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. James Lowe
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. David Kearney
    15. Jordan Larmour

16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Edward Byrne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Max Deegan
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Ciaran Frawley
    23. Conor O'Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Team for next weekend?

Think I'd like to see:

1. Cian Healy
    2. James Tracy
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Devin Toner
    5. Scott Fardy
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. James Lowe
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. David Kearney
    15. Jordan Larmour

16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Edward Byrne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Max Deegan
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Ciaran Frawley
    23. Conor O'Brien

Not far off. I think Porter and Furlong should rotate and I think Cronin will be well able for the last 30

Probably more interesting is the games after this. Ulster are up next, they will have to go full team in the Quins match so I would expect them to rest players against Leinster in RDS. So might be worthwhile going full strength (bar injury) because the main team will be off for a few weeks anyway.

For the Ulster match I would expect the team that played against Glasgow to start it.

Bringing the senior team to Munster last season didn't really work so will they do it again this season? or hold them back and put them out against Connacht at home before the Lyon match?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Here's a video of Isa reviewing last weekends game. Also an interview with James Lowe.

https://youtu.be/OTc9cIvOobY

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Is the seriousness of Sexton's knee injury known?

On Off The Ball rugby chat this evening on Newstalk, Keith Wood was talking as if it wasn't a cruciate injury but he was still going to be out for a few months..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

ongarite wrote: »
    Is the seriousness of Sexton's knee injury known?

On Off The Ball rugby chat this evening on Newstalk, Keith Wood was talking as if it wasn't a cruciate injury but he was still going to be out for a few months..

Not cruciate , but probably medial ligament damage

Watching the footage of the incident , it was the inside of the knee that got stretched when he fell

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Clegg wrote: »
    Here's a video of Isa reviewing last weekends game. Also an interview with James Lowe.

https://youtu.be/OTc9cIvOobY

Really good watch, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Amazing the young lads always have to set these incredible standards. He's been immense this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

So, Byrne 2 or Frawley?
    I'd like Byrne but I think Ciaran might cover a few more places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Not cruciate , but probably medial ligament damage

Watching the footage of the incident , it was the inside of the knee that got stretched when he fell

IT saying Johnny back for the 6N.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/johnny-sexton-to-be-fit-for-opening-six-nations-match-1.4111273?mode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Going to the Leinster vs Northampton game on Saturday. Are they expecting a big crowd at the stadium??

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Going to the Leinster vs Northampton game on Saturday. Are they expecting a big crowd at the stadium??

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yes

I suspect it has not sold as well as recent years. Blame the world cup.

Leinster tweeted last week they'd sold over 35k, less than previous years. I don't beleive the top of the South Stand is genuinely sold out, so I presume they haven't even opened it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

As ever, the tickets are too expensive. The whole point of having this match in Lansdowne is to bring in people who wouldn't regularly attend games. The upper East/West stands are 50 euro each, it just is too much for someone to spend on a whim imo. This happens at every bloody club game in Lansdowne. I think they'd be far better served by having it cheaper, a full stadium, a better atmosphere etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

To be fair, I think they had the standard 10k, 10e tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

40,000+ tickets for the visit of Northampton isn't bad, they're not a team that the more casual fan would sit up and take notice of.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there was 38.5K there the last time saints came to Lansdowne in 2016

i can see there being 10K more this saturday

Loads of clubs are making it their christmas day out with with the "One Province initiative" so there will be thousands of minis and youths at it.

As ever, the tickets are too expensive. The whole point of having this match in Lansdowne is to bring in people who wouldn't regularly attend games. The upper East/West stands are 50 euro each, it just is too much for someone to spend on a whim imo. This happens at every bloody club game in Lansdowne. I think they'd be far better served by having it cheaper, a full stadium, a better atmosphere etc.

The european games, which are usually a sell out bring in close to 1 mil according to reports.

I would expect this match will bring in 700k+.

Which other stadium in Ireland could cater for the crowd, or bring in that revenue? Plus the IRFU own it so they don't have to pay any rental fee's which they would if going to another stadium

40,000+ tickets for the visit of Northampton isn't bad, they're not a team that the more casual fan would sit up and take notice of.

As this is the group stages 40k plus is a huge number of fans.

You will not get a sell out in group stages unless you have a Toulouse/Clermont/Saracens etc showing up.

Northampton as you mentioned wouldn't have the same pull to a standard fan as some of the bigger English/French teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

They have a presale tbf for those who want to pay less. Otherwise I'd agree that the regular prices are a tad high, particularly with Ticketm*ster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement