Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Oh I know, but it would be nice for H Byrne....it is Christmas after all.

I am maybe a small but over confident with this game :P

I’m sure it will be nice for Frawley as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Oh I know, but it would be nice for H Byrne....it is Christmas after all.

I am maybe a small but over confident with this game :P

Northampton well able to spring a surprise but honestly I can't see this one being close...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

I'll be interested to see how the 10,12,13 axis operates in this game with the 6 Nations in mind.

Byrne really needs to put down a marker.

Hopefully we can see a bit of go forward wide ball created.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'll be interested to see how the 10,12,13 axis operates in this game with the 6 Nations in mind.

Byrne really needs to put down a marker.

Hopefully we can see a bit of go forward wide ball created.

He always puts down a marker. I don’t think there’s ever been a game in Europe where we missed Sexton. Have full faith he’ll do the same tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I would have started JGP rather than McGrath, but happy with the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

All three of Porter, Toner and JGP can feel very hard done by to be dropped/rotated after their performances last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Faugheen wrote: »
    He always puts down a marker. I don’t think there’s ever been a game in Europe where we missed Sexton. Have full faith he’ll do the same tomorrow.

I had exactly the same reaction initially, but I suspect the poster meant to put down a marker in the mind of the Irish coaches who have had less faith in him than the Leinster coaches.

With Sexton injured, Carbery only slowly recovering, and Carty having lost form - Byrne could well establish himself as starting 10 in the Six Nations ahead of a Carbery trying to get back to fitness.

All three of Porter, Toner and JGP can feel very hard done by to be dropped/rotated after their performances last week.

It’s pure squad rotation as far as I can see. Horses for courses etc.

It’s not a bad complaint to have. McGrath, JGP, Toner, Fardy, Porter and Furlong are all getting plenty of minutes and we don’t look any weaker no matter who is in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Has Byrne ever actually lost a European match he's started in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Faugheen wrote: »
    It’s pure squad rotation as far as I can see. Horses for courses etc.

Absolutely, but I doubt that's any consolation to the lads being benched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

I don't think so. But tainted sample cos Sexton starts the "hard" games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Not unexpected. Hopefully a good performance. Surprised to see Ryan, thought he was concussed?
    Big rotation next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

I had a quick look there and couldn't find any.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

I would like to see some first phase backline moves called with different strike runners hitting the line at different points. Pro14 upwards its hard to penetrate an opposition backline with first phase moves but i believe thats where Byrne can make an impact. Bring his play calling to another level to test defences. If he resorts to simply putting it through the hands i will lose confidence in his reading ability.

He doesn't have the speed to pose a threat so reading opposition defences and calling different strike plays to test them at different points would be a start. It's his only chance of distinguishing himself from the Carty threat. Pinning teams back with grubbers and crossfield kicks isn't enough of a game to be atop level 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

crisco10 wrote: »
    I don't think so. But tainted sample cos Sexton starts the "hard" games.

Not really. Sexton starts the games he's fit for.

Ross has had some very memorable wins in Europe including the Ulster game and the Exeter game which he didn't start but came on at 3 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Not really. Sexton starts the games he's fit for.

Ross has had some very memorable wins in Europe including the Ulster game and the Exeter game which he didn't start but came on at 3 mins

Maybe I didn't phrase that right, but fundamentally Sexton has started when he is fit, or even close to fit, if the result is in doubt in some way, and he has a good habit of being fit at the business end of the season. So the matches Sexton has lost in the past three years are Sarries, Montpellier, Clermont (not sure if there's any more). Byrne probably would have lost these as well, so to some extent the stat is a bit disingenuous - although still very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

vienne86 wrote: »
    I would have started JGP rather than McGrath, but happy with the team.

Guess work now but

With McGrath traveling to WC will he not get majority of Christmas off?

JGP will have to play a lot of games over this period and if he got an injury in this game it would leave Leinster light

crisco10 wrote: »
    Maybe I didn't phrase that right, but fundamentally Sexton has started when he is fit, or even close to fit, if the result is in doubt in some way, and he has a good habit of being fit at the business end of the season. So the matches Sexton has lost in the past three years are Sarries, Montpellier, Clermont (not sure if there's any more). Byrne probably would have lost these as well, so to some extent the stat is a bit disingenuous - although still very interesting.

Byrne went on to beat Montpellier home and away the following season..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Obviously his runs were the eye catching bit but Larmour's passing was excellent yesterday. Nice to have that option from 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

In the last three seasons we've only lost 3 games right?

Montpellier away, Clermont away, Sarries final. He didn't start any of them did he?

• Advertisement

I said it last season and will say it again, Byrne is Leinster starting 10. Sexton is a marquee player

Byrne plays the majority of games across the season. Plays the most minutes in the Pro 14 and will probably play more minutes now in the group stages in Europe. Potentially also a qtr final start again

He has started both semis in Pro 14 and Leinster won

The question is can Byrne raise his game not just to start a qtr but also a semi final in Europe this season

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

errlloyd wrote: »
    In the last three seasons we've only lost 3 games right?

Montpellier away, Clermont away, Sarries final. He didn't start any of them did he?

Lost the away game against Toulouse last season too but he didn’t start that one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Midi Olympique are reporting that Sexton has been approached by Lyon who are looking to buy out the last year of his contract.

troyzer wrote: »
    Midi Olympique are reporting that Sexton has been approached by Lyon who are looking to buy out the last year of his contract.

I doubt he would move.....he has made numerous comments about them moving to France when they had no kids. It was harder then when they had kids and no grand parents etc.....one of the reasons the move home made sense

From an IRFU and Leinster point of view, just from financial point of view a large lump of cash might not be the worst thing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

troyzer wrote: »

Ha! Good luck Lyon. He ain't going anywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Any word on RB?

Didn't look the best hobbling off last night. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Steve wrote: »
    Any word on RB?

Didn't look the best hobbling off last night. :(

Dead leg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Kevski wrote: »
    Lost the away game against Toulouse last season too but he didn’t start that one either.

I was there, and I still forgot it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

Obviously his runs were the eye catching bit but Larmour's passing was excellent yesterday. Nice to have that option from 15.

Was super impressed with his distribution yesterday. He's really taken massive strides in developing other areas of his game... His fielding of high balls yesterday was terrific too.

• Advertisement

fitz wrote: »
    Was super impressed with his distribution yesterday. He's really taken massive strides in developing other areas of his game... His fielding of high balls yesterday was terrific too.

I’m not sure why everyone is so surprised at Larmour quality

He had a dodgy game v Toulouse last season in terms of positioning but Tomane was new to system and got hammered in air v Argentina when none of the wings gave him a hand

Apart from that he has always played decent, chopping position from one week to next was never going to help....some people saying he wasn’t a 15

He is a class act , always has been

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement