Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

15. Rob Kearney (214)
    14. Fergus McFadden (180)
    13. Tommy O’Brien (0)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (41)
    11. Cian Kelleher (10)
    10. Harry Byrne (4)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (81)
    1. Peter Dooley (68)
    2. Seán Cronin (173)
    3. Andrew Porter (58)
    4. Scott Fardy (52) CAPTAIN
    5. Josh Murphy (28)
    6. Will Connors (10)
    7. Scott Penny (9)
    8. Max Deegan (56)

16. Bryan Byrne (45)
    17. Cian Healy (213)
    18. Jack Aungier (2)
    19. Oisín Dowling (5)
    20. Josh van der Flier (77)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (18)
    22. Ciarán Frawley (17)
    23. Conor O’Brien (20)

Interesting team. Some of the big guns being kept for Munster it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Its strange looking at players like Mcfadden and Kearney starting and actually thinking it might hurt our attack, theres just so much talent coming through

Love O'brien at 13 hes a talent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

A much better team than expected. 5 flankers there really. No real out and out 8, 4, or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Faugheen wrote: »
    15. Rob Kearney (214)
    14. Fergus McFadden (180)
    13. Tommy O’Brien (0)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (41)
    11. Cian Kelleher (10)
    10. Harry Byrne (4)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (81)
    1. Peter Dooley (68)
    2. Seán Cronin (173)
    3. Andrew Porter (58)
    4. Scott Fardy (52) CAPTAIN
    5. Josh Murphy (28)
    6. Will Connors (10)
    7. Scott Penny (9)
    8. Max Deegan (56)

16. Bryan Byrne (45)
    17. Cian Healy (213)
    18. Jack Aungier (2)
    19. Oisín Dowling (5)
    20. Josh van der Flier (77)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (18)
    22. Ciarán Frawley (17)
    23. Conor O’Brien (20)

Interesting team. Some of the big guns being kept for Munster it seems

The 2 weeks off are consecutive so guys none of the RWC squad will be available next week. Most will come back in vs Connacht. Should end up fielding a strong team there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yay. Another Ulster A team sent to the RDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Great mix of youth and experience in all areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ulster : (15-9) Rob Lyttle, Craig Gilroy, Matt Faddes, Angus Curtis, Angus Kernohan, Bill Johnston, David Shanahan.

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Adam McBurney, Tom O’Toole, David O’Connor, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Matthew Rea, Nick Timoney, Greg Jones.

It's a weak Ulster side, but McFarland has worked wonders with the starting XV. They're proper hard bastards to play against now. I expect that to trickle down into the younger lad and subs. It won't be an easy game tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That Ulster team is a bit disappointing. Whatever about it being an interpro, I've given up all hope on expecting anything from an interpro but it's an inter-conference game that will seal us getting top spot in the group more than likely, and they've put out a fairly weak side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Clegg wrote: »
    Ulster : (15-9) Rob Lyttle, Craig Gilroy, Matt Faddes, Angus Curtis, Angus Kernohan, Bill Johnston, David Shanahan.

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, Adam McBurney, Tom O’Toole, David O’Connor, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Matthew Rea, Nick Timoney, Greg Jones.

It's a weak Ulster side, but McFarland has worked wonders with the starting XV. They're proper hard bastards to play against now. I expect that to trickle down into the younger lad and subs. It won't be an easy game tomorrow.

McBurney had some awful lineout throws last week. Could be an area to target for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I can't go tomorrow and I'm pretty OK with that.

This is the huge problem the Pro14 has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's piss-all value in this game. The Leinster youngsters get an armchair ride. The Ulster youngsters get a hockeying.

The reverse fixture will be the same as Leinster will have nothing to play for by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

There's piss-all value in this game. The Leinster youngsters get an armchair ride. The Ulster youngsters get a hockeying.

The reverse fixture will be the same as Leinster will have nothing to play for by then.

41 euro for tickets in the Northstand. Unreserved. Outsiide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Very surprised by the selection,tbh. I thought that the international lads were mandated a rest. However. it's a decent mix. T.O.B gets a start! I think he is a really good prospect. Not enthused with Murphy in the 2nd row, would have preferred Dowling. Connors at blindside is interesting. Cian Kelleher on the wing, I would like to see him at fb? Anyway, not what I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Very surprised by the selection,tbh. I thought that the international lads were mandated a rest.

They are mandated a 2 week rest, any who play this week will get the next two off. As alluded to already it is the Connacht game that those not featured this weekend will be back for, i.e. 2 weeks off, Ulster and Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I don't think the game will be as straightforward as some are suggesting. Ulster are in a much better place than they were 12 months ago when they came to the RDS and got hockeyed. I still think Leinster will win, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

errlloyd wrote: »
    A much better team than expected. 5 flankers there really. No real out and out 8, 4, or 5.

Surely Deegan is pretty much an out and out 8?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Clegg wrote: »
    I don't think the game will be as straightforward as some are suggesting. Ulster are in a much better place than they were 12 months ago when they came to the RDS and got hockeyed. I still think Leinster will win, mind.

I'm not sure tbh, it's a much stronger Leinster than may have been expected. McFarland seems to be doing a really good job, but the bookies have Leinster as 26 points favourites.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

aloooof wrote: »
    I'm not sure tbh, it's a much stronger Leinster than may have been expected. McFarland seems to be doing a really good job, but the bookies have Leinster as 26 points favourites.

Leinster will win this comfortably.

No harm to anyone trying to make it sound like it's going to be competitive, but the Ulster team is very weak compared to Leinster, and Leinster will probably bag the bonus point in the first half.

And I am entirely serious.

awec wrote: »

a2cb8c0dd481ed906e67f4042975b2fdc92e785a1fc625f2ee2e7853aa0bf47f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

You not being there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

awec wrote: »
    Leinster will win this comfortably.

No harm to anyone trying to make it sound like it's going to be competitive, but the Ulster team is very weak compared to Leinster, and Leinster will probably bag the bonus point in the first half.

I don't think it will be a washout. Ulster have some good players out there! The Ulster back row looks really good. Plus. McBurney is starting! Love watching him, he's going to be an international soon enough, imo.
    Leinster don't have much speed in the backs! It probably will be Leinster by 6 to 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

You not being there?

yeah, everyone will be talking about. in between all the tries, that constant murmur that'll you hear from the crowd will be all talk about FormerFormer not being there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

He did have a few years with a serious drop-off in form though.

Sexton probably the one who was most consistently brilliant over the decade.

McGrath was playing great stuff, his drop in form and he still was on bench for club and country.

Like Furlong now, he had played an incredible amount of rugby more or less on stop since a young age. Sometimes I think these players just need a rest. He had an injury as well which was affecting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The fact the interpos are so **** is a disgrace tbh. Consistently some of the top teams in the league playing Mickey mouse teams shouldn't happen.

The fact the interpos are so **** is a disgrace tbh. Consistently some of the top teams in the league playing Mickey mouse teams shouldn't happen.

The league are provinces are to provide players to Ireland

The current setup means unless the provinces meet each other in the champions cup you won’t have a full blooded affair. Even the semi last year Leinster rested players

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Would be better if we got rid of the extra games for Inter pros and freed up some rest time for the players. The teams and fans will survive without seeing Leinster b V munster b.

gggggggg
    guapos wrote: »
    Would be better if we got rid of the extra games for Inter pros and freed up some rest time for the players. The teams and fans will survive without seeing Leinster b V munster b.

What about the lost revenue? A 3/4 full Aviva and a full Thomond for both games brings in a considerable wedge of cash

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

guapos wrote: »

Thomond is a sell out.

No team is going to forego that revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I may be in a group of one, but I'm absolutely looking forward to this game from a Leinster perspective. The talent coming through is unbelievable at the moment and I am excited by the team. I would love it if Ulster played out of their skins and it was a test of the various combinations etc.- the spread suggests otherwise, but I will enjoy seeing the young lads progress anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The league are provinces are to provide players to Ireland

The current setup means unless the provinces meet each other in the champions cup you won’t have a full blooded affair. Even the semi last year Leinster rested players

Everyone knows this.

It in no way ameliorates the fact that its complete ****.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement