Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

antietam1 wrote: »
    Connacht even with all their injuries still pose a threat.

Not at all unfortunately. They got hockeyed by Ulster, and lost to the Munster B's with nearly their strongest squad they could put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'd rate Patterson extremely highly, diminutive but really quick and plays the game at a great pace. He'll pass out HOS soon I'd say along with Osborne.

Patterson won't be a Leinster player next year I don't think.

While he himself is quick his pass is the slowest of all the Leinster scrumhalves.

He travelled to Dubai with the sevens development team recently too. Could be good news sometimes but I think this is more a Jack Kelly/ Terry Kennedy scenario than a JOB or Keenan scenario

I don't think Patterson has ever been in Leo or Stuarts plans - why would they sign a 5th scrumhalf?

Decent player. Might get a contract at Connacht or Ulster but Osbornes performance yesterday I think was curtains for Patterson's Leinster career

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Patterson won't be a Leinster player next year I don't think.

While he himself is quick his pass is the slowest of all the Leinster scrumhalves.

He travelled to Dubai with the sevens development team recently too. Could be good news sometimes but I think this is more a Jack Kelly/ Terry Kennedy scenario than a JOB or Keenan scenario

I don't think Patterson has ever been in Leo or Stuarts plans - why would they sign a 5th scrumhalf?

Decent player. Might get a contract at Connacht or Ulster but Osbornes performance yesterday I think was curtains for Patterson's Leinster career

Harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

What's happened to Ryan Baird, has'nt made an appearance in a month or so?

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Harsh

Yes it is. It's professional sport though. Harsh is part and parcel.

• Advertisement

typhoony wrote: »
    What's happened to Ryan Baird, has'nt made an appearance in a month or so?

Wouldn't say anythings happened, just part of the rotation with the number of second rows we have at the moment. The CC games have been primarily a combo of Dev/Fardy/Ryan, and then for the pro14 there's been a pretty regular rotation of Dowling, Molony, Baird and even Murphy plus the likes of Fardy and Dev. Jack Dunne hasn't made an appearance either this season despite looking like a decent prospect last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Wouldn't say anythings happened, just part of the rotation with the number of second rows we have at the moment. The CC games have been primarily a combo of Dev/Fardy/Ryan, and then for the pro14 there's been a pretty regular rotation of Dowling, Molony, Baird and even Murphy plus the likes of Fardy and Dev. Jack Dunne hasn't made an appearance either this season despite looking like a decent prospect last year.

Baird is only 20, just being managed through I'm sure.

Baird is apparently injured. Not sure when due back.

Would be good to see him involved this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would imagine we'll see a good number of senior players involved this weekend given they've had their two weeks off now and will want some minutes before Europe. I would expect Ryan to be one of them and, if Leinster have any intention of hanging onto Ross Molony, he needs to be involved given he has only started 3 matches this season. I'd like to see Baird get a good run out once or twice during the spring though as opportunities arise.

Larmour, Furlong, Ruddock, Ryan, Tomane (back in full training this week) JGP, Ringrose, DK all likely to play some part in this weekend. I'd like to see us keep it smart and give Frawley or HB a crack at 10 for this one. We need RB available for Europe and Connacht are hanging on by their fingernails at the moment due to injuries so we should be able to give some game time to developing players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Of all those second rows you list I'd say only Baird has a good chance of making it at Leinster. Murphy is a 6 and the others weren't standouts IMO and possibly don't have the either the raw materials or intensity to make the step up to fully professional rugby. Baird might even struggle in the height department. Be interesting to see if/when Charlie Ryan is given a go and I'm surprised Soroka has only been selected as sub for Ireland U20's both of whom I would have touted as players to make an impact in the pro game.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leinster already -25 with the bookies.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Leinster already -25 with the bookies.

Not surprised. As Buer mentioned, and going off the few photos I've seen from training down in Donnybrook today it looks like all the internationals are back training.

Connacht are really struggling with injuries, Bealham, Roux, Marmion, Butler and Fa'ainga are all starting players who are ruled out, and then you add the likes of McAllister and Robb who are out too and it really starts to sound like a barebones side they'll be able to put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Granny15 wrote: »
    Of all those second rows you list I'd say only Baird has a good chance of making it at Leinster. Murphy is a 6 and the others weren't standouts IMO and possibly don't have the either the raw materials or intensity to make the step up to fully professional rugby. Baird might even struggle in the height department. Be interesting to see if/when Charlie Ryan is given a go and I'm surprised Soroka has only been selected as sub for Ireland U20's both of whom I would have touted as players to make an impact in the pro game.

I'd Imagine Mcnamara has a good idea of his strongest team already and is using these games to give a chance to a couple other players to make the team, Soroka I'd imagine will be starting come 6 nations

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Harsh I'd say.. Soroka has another year at 20s I think.. And it looks like a very competitive squad as it is.. I think Baird's best position might be 6 where he's freed up in the loose at bit more.. He was sensational there in the JWC.. I thought Dunne was a tad underwhelming myself at 20s but looked really strong last year.. Has proper size to him too.. Surprised he hasn't featured this season.. Charlie Ryan is a good solid player but I think he might lack the dynamism required for test level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

hype101 wrote: »
    Harsh I'd say.. Soroka has another year at 20s I think.. And it looks like a very competitive squad as it is.. I think Baird's best position might be 6 where he's freed up in the loose at bit more.. He was sensational there in the JWC.. I thought Dunne was a tad underwhelming myself at 20s but looked really strong last year.. Has proper size to him too.. Surprised he hasn't featured this season.. Charlie Ryan is a good solid player but I think he might lack the dynamism required for test level.

The exact same could be said of Dunne. Size isn't everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I rate Dunne. He is a big lad and I think he's going to develop nicely! Same with Charlie Ryan. They have great potential and upside!
    I reckon Dowling will be offered a contract this coming year, he's in his 3rd year and looks like he's developing.
    The biggest problem with cutting these lads, is if they go to another province, we may see them turn out to be like A.O.C at Ulster. That's if we do cut them.
    Baird appears to be more dynamic and ready for the pro game. I think Ryan and Dunne are superior l/o operators. It's also good to remember that we cut Thornbury, Beirne and didn't offer A.O.C an academy spot.
    I think we give the lads the time to develop! We have the Kings coming in soon and a trip to SA. Plenty of opportunities to feature these lads. There's nothing more aggravating to me than watching the ones who slipped through the net doing so well elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Not surprised. As Buer mentioned, and going off the few photos I've seen from training down in Donnybrook today it looks like all the internationals are back training.

Connacht are really struggling with injuries, Bealham, Roux, Marmion, Butler and Fa'ainga are all starting players who are ruled out, and then you add the likes of McAllister and Robb who are out too and it really starts to sound like a barebones side they'll be able to put out.

Former Leinster guy Tom Farrell out?

antietam1 wrote: »
    Former Leinster guy Tom Farrell out?

Was injured towards the end of last month and they'd said 6 weeks, so doubt he'll be available for selection.

from the few positive quotes I've heard from coach and players that seems more likely than him being held back or rotated.

Baird is very athletic though so will probably be one of those rare players that can play 2nd row or back-row equally effectively ala Fardy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Leinster are currently 9 for 9 and 4 for 4 so far this season.

In Europe we've Lyon at home and then Treviso away so not unreasonable to think we'll beat both and get a top 2 seeding for the QFs.

In the Pro12 we've Connacht at home this weekend and then don't come back to the league until during the 6Ns.

During the 6Ns we've Cheetahs (h), Ospreys (a), and Glasgow (h) and then immediately after it we've the mini tour to SA.

There's a good chance if, and I mean if, we get through Connacht this weekend that we might not lose a game until May!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Leinster are currently 9 for 9 and 4 for 4 so far this season.

In Europe we've Lyon at home and then Treviso away so not unreasonable to think we'll beat both and get a top 2 seeding for the QFs.

In the Pro12 we've Connacht at home this weekend and then don't come back to the league until during the 6Ns.

During the 6Ns we've Cheetahs (h), Ospreys (a), and Glasgow (h) and then immediately after it we've the mini tour to SA.

There's a good chance if, and I mean if, we get through Connacht this weekend that we might not lose a game until May!

I can see us losing away to Cheetahs, Scarlets and Ulster this season so doubt we'll get as far as May unbeaten. But it's a real possibility at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

molloyjh wrote: »
    I can see us losing away to Cheetahs, Scarlets and Ulster this season so doubt we'll get as far as May unbeaten. But it's a real possibility at this stage.

If Ulster lose to Munster and Leinster beat Connacht then the conference could be pretty much wrapped up by the time the squad go to SA. It will be a weakened squad too as European QF is on the horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If Leinster have the pool wrapped up early and are still in euro contention there will definitely be games lost. Remember shipping 40+ points to Connacht in a meaningless game the other season?

We're already seeing lax defence anyway, see the Ulster game.

There's nothing between now and the trip to SA that we should lose but I can see us dropping points at the Cheetahs. We sent a fairly strong side down there 2 years ago (probably stronger than what we'll be sending this time) and lost. Conan, VDF, Jordi Murphy, Healy, JGP and Nacewa all started.

The Cheetahs have played Glasgow, Munster and Ulster at home so far and put up over 150 points. Winning down there with a weakened team would be at least on par with the weakened side winning in Glasgow.

On a side note, ROL looks like he's gone for the foreseeable future after undergoing surgery. Tomane's return to full fitness has come at a good time. The two O'Briens will see a decent amount of game time from here, I imagine. Also Bent is out for a period after hurting his calf. With Porter and Furlong fairly nailed on for the Irish 23, we're going to see Abdaladze and Aungier get an opportunity to stake their claims for the future too.

Buer wrote: »
    There's nothing between now and the trip to SA that we should lose but I can see us dropping points at the Cheetahs. We sent a fairly strong side down there 2 years ago (probably stronger than what we'll be sending this time) and lost. Conan, VDF, Jordi Murphy, Healy, JGP and Nacewa all started.

The Cheetahs have played Glasgow, Munster and Ulster at home so far and put up over 150 points. Winning down there with a weakened team would be at least on par with the weakened side winning in Glasgow.

On a side note, ROL looks like he's gone for the foreseeable future after undergoing surgery. Tomane's return to full fitness has come at a good time. The two O'Briens will see a decent amount of game time from here, I imagine. Also Bent is out for a period after hurting his calf. With Porter and Furlong fairly nailed on for the Irish 23, we're going to see Abdaladze and Aungier get an opportunity to stake their claims for the future too.

Any word on how long Abdaladze is out for? Hes one of the guys on the no updates list so I'm assuming hes out for a while.

Any word on how long Abdaladze is out for? Hes one of the guys on the no updates list so I'm assuming hes out for a while.

Sorry, forgot he was out for a spell too. No word at all on him. He's on the "no injury update" list which generally means he's a long way off a return (Kelleher, Conan, Daly and Leavy also feature).

After the European fixtures, we've nothing from January 18th until mid-February but have games on the 15th, 21st and 28th then. There should be a good opportunity for Aungier there but I'd expect Bent to be back.

Just looking at the fixture list and I realise that we have our trip to SA in advance of any European quarter final. I reckon we'll see a lot of kids on that trip so. No way we're going to be sending anything close to a first choice side there. They might even have guys play the first game and a few lads then fly home before the Kings game.

I'd expect not only the first team players to stay behind but also someone like Lancaster to head back to Dublin after the first match (Cheetahs) to begin preparations or possibly not even travel at all.

Sorry, forgot he was out for a spell too. No word at all on him. He's on the "no injury update" list which generally means he's a long way off a return (Kelleher, Conan, Daly and Leavy also feature).

After the European fixtures, we've nothing from January 18th until mid-February but have games on the 15th, 21st and 28th then. There should be a good opportunity for Aungier there but I'd expect Bent to be back.

Just looking at the fixture list and I realise that we have our trip to SA in advance of any European quarter final. I reckon we'll see a lot of kids on that trip so. No way we're going to be sending anything close to a first choice side there. They might even have guys play the first game and a few lads then fly home before the Kings game.

I'd expect not only the first team players to stay behind but also someone like Lancaster to head back to Dublin after the first match (Cheetahs) to begin preparations or possibly not even travel at all.

The internationals will all be rested for the Cheetahs game I'd imagine as its the week after the last 6Ns game, which they usually get off. I dont see them being in any way involved in the trip to SA. So I'd imagine you're right. Some of the coaching set up will return home after the Cheetahs game to prep the internationals for the Euro QF. It's not ideal that they wont have a game under their belts for Leinster before that. Let's hope it isnt Saracens that we face in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The squads you see going out to South Africa tend to be very fixed in number because pro14 are footing the bill. I think I can only semi recall one occasion of a team sending a larger squad (Munster maybe?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So is anybody else going over for the Treviso game? What’s the story with tickets, the site was in Italian, so I might have ordered pizzas. Got all the confirmation emails, again in Italian. Just no tickets or download links that I can make out. Did anyone else get theirs?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement