Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Well worth a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPXdGGwI7AQ

Don't think there's a single try from the MOC era in it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I love that last one. Fully epitomises leinster rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That Bath try was excellent. BOD picked his line when he was still 20 metres behind the play and just slalomed his way through the Bath defence. He actually scored a similar try against Toulouse when he caught a Contepomi offload. But he'd been tracking the pass from a long way back. Surprised they didn't include that in the highlights package

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This is one of my favourite BOD tries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4MJceJQd4I

I think Leinster were really struggling in the game too and he might have won it with that score. Close your eyes at about 20s, you'll be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone want to take a stab at Saturdays team?

Porter, Kearney, Cronin, Henshaw, VdF and Healy are unavailable under the international players two week mandatory break. I'd say we'll see the rest of the internationals roll back in though ahead of Lyon. The likes of Fardy might get rested due to starting three games in a row over the Christmas period.

1. Ed Byrne
    2. Tracy
    3. Furlong
    4. Toner
    5. Ryan
    6. Ruddock
    7. Connors
    8. Doris
    9. JGP
    10. Frawley
    11. Lowe
    12. COB
    13. Ringrose
    14. Dave Kearney
    15. Larmour

16. Brian Byrne
    17. Dooley
    18. Aungier
    19. Murphy
    20. Deegan
    21. McGrath
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Keenan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Anyone want to take a stab at Saturdays team?

Porter, Kearney, Cronin, Henshaw, VdF and Healy are unavailable under the international players two week mandatory break. I'd say we'll see the rest of the internationals roll back in though ahead of Lyon. The likes of Fardy might get rested due to starting three games in a row over the Christmas period.

1. Ed Byrne
    2. Tracy
    3. Furlong
    4. Toner
    5. Ryan
    6. Ruddock
    7. Connors
    8. Doris
    9. JGP
    10. Frawley
    11. Lowe
    12. COB
    13. Ringrose
    14. Dave Kearney
    15. Larmour

16. Brian Byrne
    17. Dooley
    18. Aungier
    19. Murphy
    20. Deegan
    21. McGrath
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Keenan

I'd say Luke McGrath will storsh, considering he didn't feature against Ulster. Doris and Toner might get a rest. They've played quite a lot of rugby. It might be a good time to introduce Dan Sheehan. And Tomane will be straight back in ahead of COB if he's good to go. The report said he was "reintegrating" to training, so dunno if he'll actually be ready.

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Sean Cronin
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. James Ryan
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Scott Peni
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Ciaran Frawley
    11. Cian Kelleher
    12. Joe Tomane
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. David Kearney
    15. Jordan Larmour

16. Dan Sheehan
    17. Edward Byrne
    18. Jack Aungier
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Josh Murphy
    21. Rowan Osborne
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Jimmy O'Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Think we’ll see Penney at 7 this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Surely it's in everyone's interests to start Cronin

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Surely it's in everyone's interests to start Cronin

IRFU won't allow it under the player welfare, anyone who flew to Japan has to get two weeks continuous rest. He started against Ulster and benched against Munster. Can't see them bending the rules for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

IRFU won't allow it under the player welfare, anyone who flew to Japan has to get two weeks continuous rest. He started against Ulster and benched against Munster. Can't see them bending the rules for it.

...which obviously means he's exempt. How could he play the middle interpro and get two consecutive weeks off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Porter played last week so he isn’t getting it either

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Clegg wrote: »
    That Bath try was excellent. BOD picked his line when he was still 20 metres behind the play and just slalomed his way through the Bath defence. He actually scored a similar try against Toulouse when he caught a Contepomi offload. But he'd been tracking the pass from a long way back. Surprised they didn't include that in the highlights package

You're welcome.

Another 2 that stood out as missing:

But Cronin had nearly three months between his last RWC game and the Ulster match. (And he isn't in Andy Farrell's plans, by the looks of it.)

Other than sticking to the 'rule', which he's already broken, you'd wonder who it's serving to stop him playing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm divided.

I think JL will be the next Isa, and hopefully GR will be the next BOD.
    RB is nearly there, he just needs Johnnies OCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

Steve wrote: »
    I think JL will be the next Isa, and hopefully GR will be the next BOD.
    RB is nearly there, he just needs Johnnies OCD.

I disagree with all the above.
    The 3 current team members are great players but I would not put JL in the same class as Isa, nor GR in the same class a BOD, nor RB in that of JS. And in any case it's probably unfair to label current players with those of the past.

I think RB has shown how capable (but not exceptional) he is but the next generation (HB and Frawley) are beginning to show their abilities.
    The next couple of seasons will be very interesting in confirming the longer term pecking order for the Nr 10 shirt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I wouldn't put them in the same class either yet, I didn't say that, nor can they compare right now, but I'm hoping they can grow into it and really think they have the potential to do it.

Heard rumours that Penny is looking to leave to get more consistent gametime

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Can't be true, he's about 9 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It could well be true. But I'm certain there isn't a province that would have played him as much this season as Leinster have.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Given he has only turned 20 this season, it would be extremely rash for him to head off elsewhere. Ulster would be the obvious destination. There isn't really a spot for him in Munster with TOD, Cloete and POM/JOD all playing at openside. Connacht have Fa'ainga and Butler playing there with neither involved with Ireland so pitch time would be scant there too.

Ulster have a solid back row but Reidy turns 31 this season and Penny could potentially pass him out in the next 18 months on merit if he gets the necessary game time.

At Leinster, it's hard to see exactly where all the game time will go. VDF, Leavy, Conners and Penny with someone like Deegan also having played there in recent times. It's a similar situation to a couple of years ago when Murphy was struggling for game time and departed. He at least had the benefit of versatility to his game which Penny doesn't; he's openside or nowhere and that limits him as a bench option also.

But he should be backing himself given his age to see if he can push ahead of the likes of Conners again and develop before considering his future. I've mentioned it before and I do believe that his size will always be an issue for him. He'll need to be a serious talent to make up for the lack of bulk he has compared to the other options available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

In fairness, Penny would get plenty of game time at Connacht. Faingaas contract is u in the summer and he still hasn’t been tied down. I’d expect big interest in him from France/England too. Butler is probably best at and first choice 8. I think with faingaas injuries this season it’s been very obvious Connacht are lacking in natural 7s. Penny would comfortably be second choice 7 if faingaa stays snd first choice if faingaa leaves

You really should have posted this to the Munster thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

"They've got some rubbish fullbacks, haven't they... Leinster"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Fardy and Lowe doing the Q&A before the game on Saturday so they wont be playing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Based on some training photos posted there we may see Furlong, Cronin, ruddock, ringrose, james Ryan , Tomane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

durkadurka wrote: »
    Based on some training photos posted there we may see Furlong, Cronin, ruddock, ringrose, james Ryan , Tomane.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't. They haven't featured this holiday period and they need a run ahead of the European games.

Cronin is the exception but he has had a lengthy break already due to injury so another 40 minutes under his belt would be no harm. Plus he's not in the Irish squad so is potentially looking at a lengthy rest after the European fixtures given we don't play again until February 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone know where to buy 5 or 6 off-brand retroish Leinster jerseys.

Group of lads going to the Bennetton game and we're fans of a bit of an old costume. So we were thinking of doing classic rugby players. Tape, shorts, socks, and classic jerseys.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

errlloyd wrote: »

Group of lads going to the Bennetton game and we're fans of a bit of an old costume. So we were thinking of doing classic rugby players. Tape, shorts, socks, and classic jerseys.

I've got a good few but none are for sale :)

Adverts.ie, done deal and ebay are probably your best bet.

There's a retro jersey page on facebook that do sales in pubs etc but they don't operate all of the time AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

errlloyd wrote: »

http://www.sumosam.com/leinster-retro-rugby-shirt/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement