Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

errlloyd wrote: »
    Anyone know where to buy 5 or 6 off-brand retroish Leinster jerseys.

Group of lads going to the Bennetton game and we're fans of a bit of an old costume. So we were thinking of doing classic rugby players. Tape, shorts, socks, and classic jerseys.

I've a costume for you, guess who:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmhhxqCUsQa8KU41nXNmIk-jyIw9dKmHXgS1tvCCIqQPdeW-TF&s

51ylHDegmzL._SY355_.jpg

becky-the-beginner-life-size-inflatable-blow-up-sex-love-doll-pipedream-peaches-and-screams_987_2000x.jpg?v=1567104591

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I heard a rumour from somebody in Leinster that they will be making a big signing this year (presumably for next season) now I take things like this with a pinch of salt but if there was a big signing, what position do people think we need a quality signing in.

salmocab wrote: »
    I heard a rumour from somebody in Leinster that they will be making a big signing this year (presumably for next season) now I take things like this with a pinch of salt but if there was a big signing, what position do people think we need a quality signing in.

10 or maybe hooker. Beauden Barrett for two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The return of Isa Nacewa Part 2: Electric Boogaloo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Couldn't see it being THP, backrow or anywhere in the backline at all.

Maybe hooker, maybe second row, or left field maybe LHP with Healy in his 30s and due to be rested a lot and a bit drop in quality behind him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wing, surely.

Larmour, Lowe and a portly Fijian speedster would be a fairly unstoppable trio.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Ten would never be sanctioned. Can’t see it being a forward given leinsters strength and prospects already struggling for game time, hooker might make sense but probably won’t want any blocks for kelleher, with Cronin Tracy etc enough there surely.

Will be a back three player as Lowe qualifying for Ireland I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

salmocab wrote: »

Second row, potentially. Fardy likely to be gone. Ryan with Ireland. Toner will be 34 and possibly with Ireland. We've a glut of young locks but they could need some time to develop.

I'd say a utility back is a very strong possibility though. Tomane may not be retained. Ringrose, Henshaw, Lowe and Larmour will all probably be with Ireland more than likely. RK's contract is up. McFadden could be gone. We could become very reliant on the young players with no older head among them.

Perhaps not this year but next season, I can see us examining our loosehead options. One of Dooley or Ed Byrne will need to fully establish themselves as the heir apparent to a 34 year old Healy.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i love that mix of youth and experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Really like the make up of the pack. It's a bit of a mix and match selection, but they're all good players. Lots of first teams and youth prospects strewn throughout the 23.

Excited to see that half back pairing and centre partnership. Don't think wither are ones we've seen too often. They could thrive with quick ball from the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jordan Larmour (43)
    14. Fergus McFadden (181)
    13. Garry Ringrose (69)
    12. Joe Tomane (18)
    11. Dave Kearney (143)
    10. Ciarán Frawley (19)
    9. Luke McGrath (118)
    1. Peter Dooley (70)
    2. Seán Cronin (175)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (105)
    4. Ross Molony (90)
    5. James Ryan (35)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (166) CAPTAIN
    7. Will Connors (12)
    8. Max Deegan (57)

16. Bryan Byrne (46)
    17. Ed Byrne (51)
    18. Roman Salanoa (1)
    19. Ryan Baird (3)
    20. Caelan Doris (26)
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park (82)
    22. Harry Byrne (5)
    23. Cian Kelleher (11)

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Wing, surely.

Larmour, Lowe and a portly Fijian speedster would be a fairly unstoppable trio.

Could be Nadolo. 31 now so not as big a price tag, has played Leinster a few times and would have a connection through Tomane.

If Fardy is leaving it could well be second row. I'd almost rather keep Fardy to be honest, he adds an awful lot to the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

That team should fairly do a job on Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Connacht Matchday Squad V Leinster (Sat 5:30pm)

(15-9): Stephen Fitzgerald
    Niyi Adeolokun
    Kyle Godwin
    Tom Daly
    John Porch
    Conor Fitzgerald
    Caolin Blade (Capt)

(1-8):
    Denis Buckley
    Shane Delahunt
    Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    Niall Murray
    Gavin Thornbury
    Eoghan Masterson
    Paul Boyle
    Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Tom McCartney, Paddy McAllister, Conor Kenny, Joe Maksymiw, Sean Masterson, Stephen Kerins, David Horwitz, Tiernan O’Halloran

Can see Leinster putting 40 on Connacht if they're in the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leinster to hit 50 methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

A loose head prop maybe for when Healy is away. Byrne and Dooley are good but not at the level we had before, with McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Leinster 27 point favourites since teams named

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I've a costume for you, guess who:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmhhxqCUsQa8KU41nXNmIk-jyIw9dKmHXgS1tvCCIqQPdeW-TF&s

51ylHDegmzL._SY355_.jpg

becky-the-beginner-life-size-inflatable-blow-up-sex-love-doll-pipedream-peaches-and-screams_987_2000x.jpg?v=1567104591

When's the wedding?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think it would be a lock. Fardy may not get an extension!
    Withou the international players and Fardy., we are inexperienced with Dowling, Baird and Dunne alongside Molony.
    Dowling may get a contract this year. But he has very little match time. He had been impressive during his cameo's. Baird looks to be a great prospect but he is also very inexperienced.
    Molony needs to be retained. I think he's vital for the team. He's been very good this season and is a good leader too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I think it would be a lock. Fardy may not get an extension!
    Withou the international players and Fardy., we are inexperienced with Dowling, Baird and Dunne alongside Molony.
    Dowling may get a contract this year. But he has very little match time. He had been impressive during his cameo's. Baird looks to be a great prospect but he is also very inexperienced.
    Molony needs to be retained. I think he's vital for the team. He's been very good this season and is a good leader too.

Could be right. I believe Retallick is now on his sabbatical from NZ rugby.

Speaking of All Blacks on sabbatical, Beauden Barrett might be interested in returning to Meath.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Leinster are now 3/1 to win every Pro14 game this season. Decent odds but a late season loss in a dead rubber is always possible.

5/1 if you include knock out games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Leinster are now 3/1 to win every Pro14 game this season. Decent odds but a late season loss in a dead rubber is always possible.

I suppose the difference between this year and a few of the last few is that the squad is blowing people away so even at dead rubber time it’s likely that some quality are looking for places in more important squads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The jump from 3/1 to 5/1 including knock-outs seems too big a jump to be honest, think finishing the regular season undefeated will be harder/less likely than winning the playoffs again (famous last words and all that...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Crazy odds......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The jump from 3/1 to 5/1 including knock-outs seems too big a jump to be honest, think finishing the regular season undefeated will be harder/less likely than winning the playoffs again (famous last words and all that...)

Yeah this. I wouldn’t back either, could see a b/c team losing away somewhere, they had a pretty poor run in last year when top was locked up, so much that munster were first Irish seed for conference reformat but fives much better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Particularly with cards so prevalent in rugby these days, high tackles, no arms etc any game can go wrong. Would be a crazy bet for me. Leinster a class apart in the pro 14 but including Europe.... too many games to be played and too many players to give to the national team to go unbeaten for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Can't make match tonight. 4 free tickets for Grandstand if any fans want them. PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Seems most people seem to rate Doris as a better 8 and more likely to start for Ireland but after seeing deegan the last night surely he’s right up there too. I don’t get to see every minute of Leinster but was just wondering if there is a clear first choice between the two ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Seems most people seem to rate Doris as a better 8 and more likely to start for Ireland but after seeing deegan the last night surely he’s right up there too. I don’t get to see every minute of Leinster but was just wondering if there is a clear first choice between the two ?

Doris is definitely ahead of Deegan right now. Theres a bit of daylight between the two right now but its seemed to give Deegan a kick to push on a bit. Doris has started 3 of the 4 HEC games so far and stood out against Northampton. Deegan can be guilty of switching off a bit and making the odd silly error. If this competition for the jersey can focus him a bit though he could overtake Doris again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement