Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I would happily not have Leinster play Saracens. But I also think they will beat a lot of teams and I would rather play them in a QF in Lansdowne then in a final in Marseille.

Good point, also I don't believe that all this debacle will motivate them, it has to have affected them mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

typhoony wrote: »
    Good point, also I don't believe that all this debacle will motivate them, it has to have affected them mentally.

We’ll find out in a few hours.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

On yesterday, I thought Luke McGrath had one of his best performances in a while for us. The responsibility of captain seems to suit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

So it's probably Saracens for the QF. We've played some incredible rugby this season and blown away most sides we've played. But this will be our biggest test by far. Both sides will be only rebuilding after the Six Nations so it's hard to guess the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Clegg wrote: »
    So it's probably Saracens for the QF. We've played some incredible rugby this season and blown away most sides we've played. But this will be our biggest test by far. Both sides will be only rebuilding after the Six Nations so it's hard to guess the outcome.

And if it is Saracens, they'll certainly have a last stand mentality about them. I'd be confident for Leinster but will certainly be some test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

The same happened a few years when Leinster got Sarries at home having been number 1 seeds.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Brewster wrote: »
    The same happened a few years when Leinster got Sarries at home having been number 1 seeds.....

Different circumstances though. That Saracens squad was knackered having come off the Lions tour and we're in poor form all season. They were destroyed by Clermont away in the group stages and limped into the knockouts as the bottom seed. This season they're bottom seed only because they've rested players following the points deduction. That was when they still thought they had Premiership survival to think of. I can see them going balls to the walls to win the Champions Cup this year.

Different circumstances though. That Saracens squad was knackered having come off the Lions tour and we're in poor form all season. They were destroyed by Clermont away in the group stages and limped into the knockouts as the bottom seed. This season they're bottom seed only because they've rested players following the points deduction. That was when they still thought they had Premiership survival to think of. I can see them going balls to the walls to win the Champions Cup this year.

It’s the worst possible draw for Leinster, absolutely no doubt about this. Saracens, mightily riled, are probably the only team that could win in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Gloucester ahead in Toulouse so far...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Brewster wrote: »
    It’s the worst possible draw for Leinster, absolutely no doubt about this. Saracens, mightily riled, are probably the only team that could win in Dublin.

If Saracens were going to qualify for the quarters it is a good draw for Leinster. Better this than the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I just don't want them in the competition full stop.

If Saracens were going to qualify for the quarters it is a good draw for Leinster. Better this than the final.

Fair point. No doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭A-Train

I know to be the best you got to beat the best. Sarries are the only team I would fear coming to Dublin. Hopefully all the lads get through the 6 Nations, as we will need everyone fit and firing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Very true. Better in Dublin than in Marseille.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Munster pushed the Sarries team all the way. Leinster will be Easily able to Get over the line.

Munster pushed the Sarries team all the way. Leinster will be Easily able to Get over the line.

Entirely different circumstances.

I expect it to be a game played at full test intensity with Sarries entire season riding on it. Leinster will need to play their best rugby of the last two years to win.

McCall is going to be prepping for that game starting today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

This season they're bottom seed only because they've rested players following the points deduction. That was when they still thought they had Premiership survival to think of. I can see them going balls to the walls to win the Champions Cup this year.

They are still basically the best team in Europe. And a EC win, unlike their now tainted Premierships, will still be a genuine win. So they will go for it like no tomorrow. Last hurrah before the scattering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Would Vunipola be back for broken arm in time for QF?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

ongarite wrote: »
    Would Vunipola be back for broken arm in time for QF?

He had surgery last time and was out for 3 months. So depends. He's broken the same arm before, so potentially could be a long rehab if they want to make sure it's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Entirely different circumstances.

I expect it to be a game played at full test intensity with Sarries entire season riding on it. Leinster will need to play their best rugby of the last two years to win.

McCall is going to be prepping for that game starting today.

Home advantage, a packed aviva and Sarries probably without Billy V. Leinster should win by 10 easily.

• Advertisement

Leinster should win by 10 easily.

I appreciate your confidence but I don't think there is anything to separate the two teams at all. If Sarries are further destabilised before the quarter final then things might change but at the moment I'd have it fairly evens.

I appreciate your confidence but I don't think there is anything to separate the two teams at all. If Sarries are further destabilised before the quarter final then things might change but at the moment I'd have it fairly evens.

They are even teams. At home Leinster will be 3-5 point favourites I Would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Delighted with the draw personally. All set up for another epic run similar to our last win. Beating the best teams. Hoping we get Toulouse at home, if we get to the semi. They're playing some cracking rugby, and it would be perfect to beat them on the way to being the first team to get a fifth star.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

At home and with Billy probably out I think we'll beat them as long as we play to our capabilities.
    I would bin off that SA tour and send the u20s though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Personally looking forward to seeing Leinster play the last eight, four and then the final. Will be shouting for them. The Pro 14 is actually poor fare in all honesty for a team of Leinsters ability. This is the stage and level for them. Proper test against top english and french sides is what they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The QFs are about 10 weeks away I think so surely Billy will be back by then, a broken arm shouldn't take that long to heal if it's a clean enough break.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The QFs are about 10 weeks away I think so surely Billy will be back by then, a broken arm shouldn't take that long to heal if it's a clean enough break.
    The big problem for Billy is that this is now his fourth break in about two and a half years. He's done one arm twice and the other once. Depends on which one he's broken this time, because a third on the same arm could be a protracted recovery. Afaik, he's got plates in both of them, so it's probably surgery as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

pretty sure he has plates in both arms so it's not completely straightforward

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Saracens would IMO beat Leinster in a final, so getting the chance to knock them out in a home QF is good.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Saracens would IMO beat Leinster in a final, so getting the chance to knock them out in a home QF is good.

I reject the specific premise - I think a final would be 50/50. But I think a home QF will be 70/30 so I'll take it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement