Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Think I'd like to see a team versus the Cheetahs something along the lines of:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Ryan Baird
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Will Connors
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Ciaran Frawley
    11. James Lowe
    12. Conor O'Brien
    13. Jimmy O'Brien
    14. Barry Daly
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. James Tracy
    17. Michael Milne
    18. Jack Aungier
    19. Josh Murphy
    20. Scott Penny
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Tommy O'Brien

It's probably more likely that a few more of the old guard like Robert Kearney and Fergus McFadden will feature. And it's not really in the script for Conor O'Brien to get a game when Tomane is fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Ryan Baird
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Will Connors
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Ciaran Frawley
    11. James Lowe
    12. Conor O'Brien
    13. Jimmy O'Brien
    14. Barry Daly
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. James Tracy
    17. Michael Milne
    18. Jack Aungier
    19. Josh Murphy
    20. Scott Penny
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Tommy O'Brien

It's probably more likely that a few more of the old guard like Robert Kearney and Fergus McFadden will feature. And it's not really in the script for Conor O'Brien to get a game when Tomane is fit.

Rob Kearney will play, he is still really only an injury away from maybe getting into the Ireland squad

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Rob Kearney will play, he is still really only an injury away from maybe getting into the Ireland squad

He'll probably play alright. I suppose Leinster have to keep him ticking over so he's up to speed if he's needed for the knock outs later on. But it't be good to see young guys full of running like Keenan get shots as well.

Would they pick him for Ireland? Addison would be in first if he was fit. That is a big 'if' admittedly. Then wasn't Haley in the get together at Christmas ahead of him? I think a return to the national squad is unlikely, tbh. They could switch one of Conway and Stockdale and bring in Earls, with DK being bumped one up the ladder as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

3. Michael Bent

18. Jack Aungier

Is this the last year of Bents contract?
    Aungier a good prospect?
    Clarkson looks good for U-20s. Dont know much about Charlie Ward

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Serbian wrote: »
    Yeah, that's fair. He's clearly going to be very disappointed with not being involved because he is good enough, but the parts we just don't know are why he's not involved, if he's satisfied that his exclusion is just and whether he feels that he could potentially be included in the future if whatever's missing is worked on and improves.

Even just looking at the last two games, I don't think Ruddock would have had the impact in the line-out or the breakdown that O'Mahony has brought at 6 — maybe that's why he's not in? We just don't know.

I haven't listened to that segment on OTB, does he go into specifics about what he was told to improve? Poaching or carrying and such?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Aungier is decent prospect but Clarkson is much better..

Is this the last year of Bents contract?
    Aungier a good prospect?
    Clarkson looks good for U-20s. Dont know much about Charlie Ward

Aungier looks reasonable. See how he comes along, I suppose.

Bent's last contract announcement was May 2018, so I'd imagine he's out of contract at the end of the season.

He'll probably play alright. I suppose Leinster have to keep him ticking over so he's up to speed if he's needed for the knock outs later on. But it't be good to see young guys full of running like Keenan get shots as well.

Would they pick him for Ireland? Addison would be in first if he was fit. That is a big 'if' admittedly. Then wasn't Haley in the get together at Christmas ahead of him? I think a return to the national squad is unlikely, tbh. They could switch one of Conway and Stockdale and bring in Earls, with DK being bumped one up the ladder as well.

Just so a few of the Irish fans would lose the plot I would love to see Kearney brought into the squad!! :P:P:P

P.S. Just for a laugh, I dont think it is the right thing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Just a random thought that popped into my head. He'll never get the recognition he deserves, but Michael Bent is one of Leinsters best ever signings. Not an absolute top level player, but always filled in well at Pro 14 level and did a decent job in European competition when called upon. Yes, there are better players. Furlong and Porter have long since outstripped him ability wise. But Bent has always played well whenever called upon. I'll miss him when he calls it a day.

Clegg wrote: »
    Just a random thought that popped into my head. He'll never get the recognition he deserves, but Michael Bent is one of Leinsters best ever signings. Not an absolute top level player, but always filled in well at Pro 14 level and did a decent job in European competition when called upon. Yes, there are better players. Furlong and Porter have long since outstripped him ability wise. But Bent has always played well whenever called upon. I'll miss him when he calls it a day.

He got a bad rap at the start because he was taken off the flight and into the Ireland team.

Apart from that he has been a complete pro for Leinster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’ve long since been a big fan, one of our top overseas signings for different reasons to the like of Isa and Lowe. A solid performer who you’d never worry about if he was in the team. I think he suffered bad press early on being parachuted into the Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I hope rob kearney gets the recognition he deserves when he hangs up his boots. He has kind of fizzled out the last while with larmour becoming first choice after mixing raw attacking talent with the basics of solidity and positioning.
    Kearney was incredible for so long and had so many 'feck you, I've still got it moments/games'.

accensi0n wrote: »
    I hope rob kearney gets the recognition he deserves when he hangs up his boots. He has kind of fizzled out the last while with larmour becoming first choice after mixing raw attacking talent with the basics of solidity and positioning.
    Kearney was incredible for so long and had so many 'feck you, I've still got it moments/games'.

He has done a D’Arcy on it and stayed on 1 year too long

He should of either retired or went to France at end of last season, well at end of WC

Leinster and Ireland has to move on, even if WC was a success

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He has done a D’Arcy on it and stayed on 1 year too long

He should of either retired or went to France at end of last season, well at end of WC

Leinster and Ireland has to move on, even if WC was a success

France get mentioned a lot on boards as somewhere people go at the end of their careers but there’s not many Irish lads do from any of the provinces. Most top players play out their time in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Kearney is nowhere near the level D'Arcy was at when he retired. Kearney was probably one of Ireland's better performers in the RWC and justified his selection in the squad. We're bringing through a number of young back three players and a single season working with RK every day will be great for them. If he was called on to start a big game for Leinster tomorrow, I wouldn't be losing too much sleep.

Gordon D'Arcy was an absolute shadow of the player he once was in a RWC warm up game against Scotland. He was quietly pushed off into retirement without anyone raising an eyebrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I haven't listened to that segment on OTB, does he go into specifics about what he was told to improve? Poaching or carrying and such?

This was on The Left Wing rather than off the ball.

He doesn’t specifically talk about what Farrell said to him, but he said that he feels like he wasn’t winning collisions in either defence or attack and said that when he’s playing better he carries closer to the ground.

He also had an interesting take on his defence — he basically said that he has a tendency to not trust the system and to try and cover more than one attacker, meaning that he wasn’t committing 100% to his tackles.

I took that to mean that maybe he was missing tackles but checked his stats and he’s made 35 successful tackles in a row over his last three games so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Any word on when Conan will be back?

clsmooth wrote: »
    Any word on when Conan will be back?

Latest update was no update, hopefully soon. He must be unbelievably frustrated given the competition which has surfaced around him.

South Africa trip possibly

Ringrose might miss the rest of the Six Nations. It's only three weeks between the end of that tournament and the Saracens game. Things might be touch and go for that too.

https://www.the42.ie/garry-ringrose-injury-ireland-six-nations-5006890-Feb2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ringrose might miss the rest of the Six Nations. It's only three weeks between the end of that tournament and the Saracens game. Things might be touch and go for that too.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I think Tomane/Henshaw could be a good enough pairing to get through, if Tomane can play like he did earlier in the season before his injury, when he was excellent. Henshaw is going to be the 13 for the rest of the 6N. If Henshaw gets injured now it doesn't bear thinking about.

Tomane at 12 versus Sarries. Ehhhh.. Ideally not

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Buer wrote: »
    Gordon D'Arcy was an absolute shadow of the player he once was in a RWC warm up game against Scotland. He was quietly pushed off into retirement without anyone raising an eyebrow.

Even D'Arcy has acknowledged this. I read an article where he said he was almost embarrassed Schmidt felt the need to call him and say "stay fit because you might yet be needed" when he knew he hadn't performed anywhere near well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Honestly, given the state of Saracens, I'm not as concerned about them as I was a month ago. Of course they could turn in a big performance and win in Dublin. They've the players to do it but it's very hard for a team/club to completely turn around their culture and atmosphere quickly. They're in freefall and that seems to have filtered into some of England's test performances too.

They should win against Sale very comfortably tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if they can arrest their slide.

If Tomane is fit and playing as well as he has done already this season, it won't be a problem. I'd still expect Ringrose on the field, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

And can't be overstated how big a loss Billy V is for them.

15. Rob Kearney (217)
    14. Fergus McFadden (182)
    13. Jimmy O’Brien (14)
    12. Joe Tomane (19)
    11. Dave Kearney (146)
    10. Ciarán Frawley (22)
    9. Luke McGrath (121)
    1. Peter Dooley (73)
    2. Rónan Kelleher (10)
    3. Michael Bent (132)
    4. Ross Molony (93)
    5. Scott Fardy (55) CAPTAIN
    6. Rhys Ruddock (169)
    7. Will Connors (13)
    8. Max Deegan (60)

16. Seán Cronin (178)
    17. Michael Milne (5)
    18. Roman Salanoa (2)
    19. Ryan Baird (4)
    20. Scott Penny (11)
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park (85)
    22. Harry Byrne (6)
    23. Cian Kelleher (12)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And can't be overstated how big a loss Billy V is for them.

Absolutely - You can see the same with England , they are not the same team without him.

Billy V was the difference in the Final last May - Take him off the Saracens team that day and Leinster win that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Strong side. Hoping Milne and Salanoa both get 20+ minutes.

* Did I see a stat that Salanoa hasn't touched the ball in his two caps to date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

15. Rob Kearney (217)
    14. Fergus McFadden (182)
    13. Jimmy O’Brien (14)
    12. Joe Tomane (19)
    11. Dave Kearney (146)
    10. Ciarán Frawley (22)
    9. Luke McGrath (121)
    1. Peter Dooley (73)
    2. Rónan Kelleher (10)
    3. Michael Bent (132)
    4. Ross Molony (93)
    5. Scott Fardy (55) CAPTAIN
    6. Rhys Ruddock (169)
    7. Will Connors (13)
    8. Max Deegan (60)

16. Seán Cronin (178)
    17. Michael Milne (5)
    18. Roman Salanoa (2)
    19. Ryan Baird (4)
    20. Scott Penny (11)
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park (85)
    22. Harry Byrne (6)
    23. Cian Kelleher (12)

Good to see Bent back. We'll need him with Furlong and Porter with Ireland plus Abdaladze and Aungier injured. Odd not to see either Byrne in there though. Are they injured?

Will be interesting to see how we rotate during the 6Ns. Guys like Tracy, Dowling, Murphy, Conor O'Brien, Adam Byrne and Keenan will need to get mins. And unlike the start of the season there isnt much to be had at this point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement