Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Ed Byrnes injured.

Not sure Jack Aungier is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ed Byrnes injured.

Not sure Jack Aungier is.

Byrne just cant buy a run of fitness can he!?

I'd have thought Aungier was ahead of Salanoa. He certainly was earlier in the season. Salanoa only got game time due to Aungier being ill. Could just be rotation I suppose, but I got the impression Salanoa wasnt fully trusted yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Is this one of the older squads we've out out this year.

Players on pay roll deserve a run, I'm not complaining. Just funny to see during the 6n

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's a ridiculously strong squad for a mid Six Nations game. Not sure we've ever had a better one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

molloyjh wrote: »
    Good to see Bent back. We'll need him with Furlong and Porter with Ireland plus Abdaladze and Aungier injured. Odd not to see either Byrne in there though. Are they injured?

Will be interesting to see how we rotate during the 6Ns. Guys like Tracy, Dowling, Murphy, Conor O'Brien, Adam Byrne and Keenan will need to get mins. And unlike the start of the season there isnt much to be had at this point.

You can't pick COB. Sending out the kids week-in, week-out to get beaten will not develop them. Tomane is needed for his experience. His presence is going to allow the younger guys like the Kearneys and McFadden to develop and learn from playing alongside him.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You can't pick COB. Sending out the kids week-in, week-out to get beaten will not develop them. Tomane is needed for his experience. His presence is going to allow the younger guys like the Kearneys and McFadden to develop and learn from playing alongside him.

giphy.gif

Can see a lot of players in that team moving on at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What happened to Dunne?. He seems to have disappeared!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Serbian wrote: »
    This was on The Left Wing rather than off the ball.

He doesn’t specifically talk about what Farrell said to him, but he said that he feels like he wasn’t winning collisions in either defence or attack and said that when he’s playing better he carries closer to the ground.

He also had an interesting take on his defence — he basically said that he has a tendency to not trust the system and to try and cover more than one attacker, meaning that he wasn’t committing 100% to his tackles.

I took that to mean that maybe he was missing tackles but checked his stats and he’s made 35 successful tackles in a row over his last three games so who knows.

That's interesting. I would've thought it might have been more related to his ground game, trying to effect more turnovers and such. I wonder if that was influenced by him failing to stop Vunipola from scoring in the HEC final last year.

I don't usually associate him with losing the physical battle, there was sequence in the game against Japan I think, where he nailed 3 tackles one after the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

That's interesting. I would've thought it might have been more related to his ground game, trying to effect more turnovers and such. I wonder if that was influenced by him failing to stop Vunipola from scoring in the HEC final last year.

I don't usually associate him with losing the physical battle, there was sequence in the game against Japan I think, where he nailed 3 tackles one after the other.

I think his goal is to make more dominant/effective tackles and carries rather than just a high number of decent but not game influencing tackles/carries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

I always thought Jordie was more likely to unload with a big hit than Ruddock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Sangre wrote: »
    I think his goal is to make more dominant/effective tackles and carries rather than just a high number of decent but not game influencing tackles/carries.

I think the only thing missing from Ruddock’s game is a little bit dynamism. He’s a great player but you just don’t tend to see that massive hit, big turnover or huge carry that often from him. Otherwise I think he would have collected more caps after SOB and Heaslip finished up with Ireland. Injuries obviously haven’t helped him. Great player to have in a an arm wrestle though.

He was some size at U-20 . No wonder Kidney called him up on the tour to Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

clsmooth wrote: »
    I think the only thing missing from Ruddock’s game is a little bit dynamism. He’s a great player but you just don’t tend to see that massive hit, big turnover or huge carry that often from him. Otherwise I think he would have collected more caps after SOB and Heaslip finished up with Ireland. Injuries obviously haven’t helped him. Great player to have in a an arm wrestle though.

He could get more involved carrying out in wider channels. He has good footwork and hands, there was that break last season in a match that was top class.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    What happened to Dunne?. He seems to have disappeared!

He was injured. Just returned to training

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Fair play to anyone who turned up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

degsie wrote: »

Had a blast. Best craic on the terrace in a while. Got f-ing soaked too but it was worth it. Great performance, particularly from the pack. Thought Frawley did really well too. Great return given the atrocious conditions. Just about to sit down and watch it again because at times it was very hard to tell what was happening through the rain. But we all expected a dire 3-0 type affair. Credit to the lads for not letting it descend into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

degsie wrote: »

It was pretty awful. But there was a weird camaraderie around the ground as we all tried to stay sorta dry.

It felt like the an put of body experience at times and was strangely hard to keep up with the game. The wind and rain was so distracting.

Fairplay to the guys, such a professional performance in those conditions.

This is a terrible interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

This is a terrible interview.

The Kelleher question and the response were hilarious, you could tell he wasn't too pleased being put on the same level as young lads coming out of the academy

The Kelleher question and the response were hilarious, you could tell he wasn't too pleased being put on the same level as young lads coming out of the academy

The interviewer was a complete amateur. Didn't know what he wanted to ask and as you say embarrassed Murphy with some of his questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Jack Conan back training.

INPHO_01683744.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Jack Conan back training.

INPHO_01683744.jpg

Great news we’re a bit short of quality 8s we were down to only 2 there for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Conan probably looking to start for the HC Qtr....

The question is would you start him, Deegan or Doris?

If he gets two Pro14 games I would put Conan in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Conan probably looking to start for the HC Qtr....

The question is would you start him, Deegan or Doris?

If he gets two Pro14 games I would put Conan in
    Same. He's been out for a while though and his injury would have curtailed his fitness. Really depends on when he starts getting some game time.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Same. He's been out for a while though and his injury would have curtailed his fitness. Really depends on when he starts getting some game time.

At the end of 6 nations I think they mentioned on OTB instead of 1 game before the Qtr this season it will be two games. That would give him a chance to get a run out. I think the original plan was to have him back playing by end of 6 nations.....

If Billy still out and Conan back in with a Doris/Deegan on the bench that would help us nicely

Large assumption that Conan would get the nod to start at 8 based off of one or two games back from a long term injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Doris is in pole position to start against Saracens. Conan has the experience but no form to speak of.

Deegan should get the bench spot ahead of Conan as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Clegg wrote: »
    Doris is in pole position to start against Saracens. Conan has the experience but no form to speak of.

Agree entirely.

Clegg wrote: »

If Conan gets two games and shows form I think Conan to start with Doris to hammer them in the last 20 mins.....

Im not saying drop Conan into the game if he has no form or starts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Bryan Byrne has gone on loan to Bristol apparently?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement