Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »
    Bryan Byrne has gone on loan to Bristol apparently?

Great move for him if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

errlloyd wrote: »
    Bryan Byrne has gone on loan to Bristol apparently?

Decent move he’s too good to be a 4th choice anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

salmocab wrote: »
    Decent move he’s too good to be a 4th choice anywhere

If true he'd have a lot more caps for leinster than he does.

Not sure what you mean by this. He’s 4th choice for Leinster was never really higher than third choice but I do think he’s too good a player to be a 4th choice hooker. If he had a lot more caps for Leinster he’d have been higher up the pecking order to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

I think ScottmacTom is in for a rude awakening when the young players he lauds end up being 3rd and 4th choice at Leinster for a decade. It’s the arrogance that smacks of a lack of understanding on what is required to be a consummate pro and long standing fixture at Leinster that gets to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That literally makes no sense.

Granny15 wrote: »
    I think ScottmacTom is in for a rude awakening when the young players he lauds end up being 3rd and 4th choice at Leinster for a decade. It’s the arrogance that smacks of a lack of understanding on what is required to be a consummate pro and long standing fixture at Leinster that gets to me.

Kelleher seems to be struggling alright. Loon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Kelleher seems to be struggling alright. Loon.

There’s more than Kelleher that you’ve promoted on here! Picking one that looks like he’s going to make it is Cherrypicking. Let’s see about Hernan and Smith!

Oh and that’s right I’m a loon when it comes to my rugby. Sorry I can’t be blasé about it like you. It means I’m passionate!

That literally makes no sense.

Strap in it’s going to go on for a while I think

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

salmocab wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by this. He’s 4th choice for Leinster was never really higher than third choice but I do think he’s too good a player to be a 4th choice hooker. If he had a lot more caps for Leinster he’d have been higher up the pecking order to get them.

Is this the definition of a circular argument?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Byrne is a decent player but Kelleher has been so good and Tracey is playing his best rugby in years too, a loan isn't a bad idea. Cronin may well be gone next year so things may shake up a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Team to face Ospreys.

15. Hugo Keenan (12)
    14. Cian Kelleher (13)
    13. Jimmy O’Brien (15)
    12. Conor O’Brien (22)
    11. James Lowe (41)
    10. Ciarán Frawley (23)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (86)
    1. Peter Dooley (74)
    2. James Tracy (106)
    3. Michael Bent (133)
    4. Ross Molony (94)
    5. Scott Fardy (56) CAPTAIN
    6. Josh Murphy (30)
    7. Scott Penny (12)
    8. Rhys Ruddock (170)

16. Seán Cronin (179)
    17. Michael Milne (6)
    18. Jack Aungier (3)
    19. Jack Dunne (5)
    20. Ryan Baird (5)
    21. Rowan Osborne (3)
    22. Harry Byrne (7)
    23. Tommy O’Brien (2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Good to see the O'Briens and Penny lining out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Never thought I'd say it buy we're looking very thin on back row cover when we have to move Ruddock to 8 and Baird is our back row cover (presumably it's actually Fardy)

Conditions for this is likely dire and I suspect the quality of the pitch isn't much better.

Having said all that, I expect a win here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Tomane must be injured again. With Ringrose and O'Loughlin injured too, the number of hamstring pulls he's getting would have to be a concern ahead of the Saracens match. Realistically, Conor O'Brien hasn't been getting the exposure to be an option for that match.
    Never thought I'd say it buy we're looking very thin on back row cover when we have to move Ruddock to 8 and Baird is our back row cover (presumably it's actually Fardy)

Conditions for this is likely dire and I suspect the quality of the pitch isn't much better.

Having said all that, I expect a win here

Dowling and Martin Maloney at blindside, David Aspil and Ronan Watters at openside and Tony Ryan and Ronan Foley at no. 8 still in reserve. I think we've seen that Lancaster's training methods would prepare those sort of level players to step in seamlessly.

Tomane must be injured again. With Ringrose and O'Loughlin injured too, the number of hamstring pulls he's getting would have to be a concern ahead of the Saracens match. Realistically, Conor O'Brien hasn't been getting the exposure to be an option for that match.

Dowling and Martin Maloney at blindside, David Aspil and Ronan Watters at openside and Tony Ryan and Ronan Foley at no. 8 still in reserve. I think we've seen that Lancaster's training methods would allow those sort of level players step in seamlessly.

Moloney and Watters are injured. Apsil, Foley and Ryan no longer training with Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

And I don't think Dowling will be retained after this year.

We're still in unbelievable health with back rows.

Dowling would be better off going elsewhere he is well down the depth chart at lock and 6.

Moloney and Watters are injured. Apsil, Foley and Ryan no longer training with Leinster.

Thanks. Good info. They could call them up easily enough if they were needed, though, couldn't they? - like they've done with Conor Maguire. They know the systems.

Dowling would be better off going elsewhere he is well down the depth chart at lock and 6.

He played well against Glasgow, but it's not a good sign if he's not making either of two rotated XXIIIs while the internationals are away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

What's the story with Vakh ? Is he injured or just behind the other lads in terms of preference ?

Injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

And I don't think Dowling will be retained after this year.

We're still in unbelievable health with back rows.

I wonder would he be one that Connacht would take a look at. Good player but we have a lot of second row talent coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Baird will probably move to a senior contract next season. Fardy may move on, Dowling could also get a contract! Of course, a NIQ may be signed.
    If Dowling is not offered a promotion, a move to Ulster or Connacht may be his best option. Regan and Dalton are not cutting it in Ulster. Connacht need another lock!
    Great to see Dunne back!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Baird will probably move to a senior contract next season. Fardy may move on, Dowling could also get a contract! Of course, a NIQ may be signed.
    If Dowling is not offered a promotion, a move to Ulster or Connacht may be his best option. Regan and Dalton are not cutting it in Ulster. Connacht need another lock!
    Great to see Dunne back!

Interesting that both Baird and Dunne are on the bench.. More likely Fardy will shift back when/if they are both on but would love to see Baird at 6 nonetheless.. He was sensational there in the JWC.. Could be our very own Pieter Steph Du Toit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What station game on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What station game on?

Tg4

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Are Leinster playing into the wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Are Leinster playing into the wind?

Yep.