Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

awec wrote: »
    Enjoy the highlights while you can, in a few years his youtube videos will just be him hitting rucks and looking angry in between hitting rucks.

Hey, if it works for POM ...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Relax with the hype.

More observation than hype I would say.. The most freakish specimen in Irish rugby since Ferris would be hype worth relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

He's a second row primarily, right?

Enjoy the highlights while you can, in a few years his youtube videos will just be him hitting rucks and looking angry in between hitting rucks.

I didn't realise he was related to POM.....apart from the hitting the rucks thing.:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

THFC198 wrote: »
    Healy out of 6N and presumably the sarries game aswell could leave us in a big hole, I’d be worried if we start to get beaten up at scrum time. Very rare, if ever, do you see a team lose the scrum battle and win the game
    Buer wrote: »
    Dooley has been playing some really good stuff of late which is promising but obviously there's a drop there if Healy doesn't make it. I'd imagine we would go with Bent covering loosehead if Ed Byrne isn't available.

There's 3 weeks between the last 6N game and the Saracens game though so he's not necessarily out of it yet.

If Healy was out, there's the option of moving Porter back to LH to starting with Bent/Dooley on the bench.

I still think that Porter is a better LH than TH when I've seen him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    If Healy was out, there's the option of moving Porter back to LH to starting with Bent/Dooley on the bench.

I still think that Porter is a better LH than TH when I've seen him play.

Risky enough strategy against the sarries scrum. The two lads they’ve got there are phenomenal scrummagers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

He's a second row primarily, right?

That's a valid criticism of how the game has evolved rather than of how Leinster or Ireland play rugby. Since professionalism, defence has become more and more the focus of teams and law changes have tended to make this worse. The discussion on the match thread of Ireland being in either a 13-2 or 14-1 alignment in defence epitomises this. Perhaps the new 50:22 law (if it's adopted) will help change this; time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

At Michael knocked out of school cup is a bit of a shock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Hugo Keenan (13)
    14. Dave Kearney (147)
    13. Jimmy O’Brien (16)
    12. Joe Tomane (20)
    11. James Lowe (42)
    10. Harry Byrne (8)
    9. Luke McGrath (122)
    1. Peter Dooley (75)
    2. Seán Cronin (180)
    3. Michael Bent (134)
    4. Ryan Baird (6)
    5. Scott Fardy (57) CAPTAIN
    6. Josh Murphy (31)
    7. Will Connors (14)
    8. Max Deegan (61)

16. James Tracy (107)
    17. Michael Milne (7)
    18. Jack Aungier (4)
    19. Jack Dunne (6)
    20. Rhys Ruddock (171)
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park (87)
    22. Ciarán Frawley (24)
    23. Fergus McFadden (183)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Baird is gonna get a hat trick and then get called up to start against Italy which he managed to make go ahead by himself

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

GLASGOW WARRIORS
    Glenn Bryce, Tommy Seymour, Huw Jones, Nick Grigg, Kyle Steyn, Pete Horne, George Horne, Aki Seiuli, George Turner, D'arcy Rae, Rob Harley, Tim Swinson, Ryan Wilson, Tom Gordon, Matt Fagerson.
    Replacements:
    Mesulame Dolokoto, Alex Allan, Ewan McQuillin, Andrew Davidson, Callum Gibbins, Jamie Dobie, Ruaridh Jackson, Nikola Matawalu,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's a very strong Leinster pack. Numbers 4 - 8 is exceptionally strong for this time of the season.

I like the blend of youth and experience going through the forwards and backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Baird to cure coronavirus, choo choo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

That's a good team. Having DK, Deegan, Connors and McGrath back is a nice bonus. With next week's game cancelled you'd have thought Ross Byrne might have been released too but excited to see what Harry can do against a very decent Glasgow team.

Looking forward to Baird confirming his messiah status too, obvs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

When was Fardys extension announced last year? It’s getting on now would like to see him get one more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

salmocab wrote: »
    When was Fardys extension announced last year? It’s getting on now would like to see him get one more.

This week last year....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

kmart6 wrote: »

Cheers my senses must have been tingling.
    He’s the bit of grunt that I feel we would miss, funnily I think he’s the sort of player Ireland could do with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

He was on the Baz and Andrew live show. Think he sort of loves it here.

errlloyd wrote: »
    He was on the Baz and Andrew live show. Think he sort of loves it here.

Seems happy in Ireland for sure but is completely bought into the Leinster environment. He's really personalised it and the jersey obviously means quite a lot to him which is a great indictment of the club but also shows what a genuine person Fardy is.

Going to have to start chanting 'one more year' anytime he is subbed from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's great to see the likes of Keenan and J.O.B being selected. Leo is fantastic with developing young players and giving then opportunities. Deegan already has 60 Leinster appearances! Phenomenal!
    This will be a tough outing. But a great chance to gauge H.Byrne, Aungier and Milne. I think we may see a NIQ loose head come in for next season. I think our depth is not really great here. Healy is getting on and both Dooley and Byrne are not great quality. Milne has an opportunity now to lay down a marker. I hope he does well and can force his way into the reckoning.
    Still, it's a pretty good selection for this time of year. With a trip to S. A coming soon, I reckon it will be the time for the youngsters to get opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Fardy has shown on multiple occasions just how valuable he is to Leinster.

His handling skills are so much better than any of the other forwards - that's not a slight on our guys who I think are very good passers of the ball.

Fardys just got such a good knack for the right pass at the right time.

Tommy O'Briens try last week was made by an unbelievable no look catch-pass by Fardy. Going full tilt without breaking stride the ball just glides through. Keeping his hips and shoulders so square

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

salmocab wrote: »

You wouldn't know it wasn't his own hair........:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

Strong sides named by both teams. Glasgow still out at +12 though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Interesting how big a player Fardy has been and why, when you reflect on ireland and how we got beasted against England. We don't seem to produce this type of player too often. SOB was one example of a player others geared. But the edge in the Leinster pack, and perhaps missing in Ireland, has often come from outside. Hines, Thorn, Elsom. We dont seem to produce that type of player.

Healy, SOB, Furlong all have plenty of edge.

Ryan is developing that edge going by last weekend.

Heaslip might not have had 'edge' but he was plenty tough enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Healy, SOB, Furlong all have plenty of edge.

Point of order: they all have edge, but not plenty of it. Compare Hines, Itoje, Quinlan, Brennan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Quinlan and Brennan were scumbags. I'd rather our players dont follow their example. Hines and Itoje are an example of playing on the edge of the game without descending into thuggery.

Trojan wrote: »
    Point of order: they all have edge, but not plenty of it. Compare Hines, Itoje, Quinlan, Brennan.

Bonkers to say Healy, SOB and Furlong don't play with plenty of edge when they are fit and firing.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

"Quinlan and Brennan are were scumbags."???

Very harsh. Hard, often illegal, players ON THE PITCH but lovely blokes off it and certainly don't deserve to be called scumbags IMO.

They played in a different era and coming up through the club game then you had to be tough and rough to survive. Handshakes and pints with most opponents post-match, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    "Quinlan and Brennan are were scumbags."???

Very harsh. Hard, often illegal, players ON THE PITCH but lovely blokes off it and certainly don't deserve to be called scumbags IMO.

They played in a different era and coming up through the club game then you had to be tough and rough to survive. Handshakes and pints with most opponents post-match, no doubt.

Do the stands count as on the pitch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Do the stands count as on the pitch?

Maybe I should have written "within the 80 mins"!:o

I see post quoted was edited so "are" was obviously a typo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement