Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Leo fairly clear they are looking at Baird at lock in the short to medium term not 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    "Quinlan and Brennan are were scumbags."???

Very harsh. Hard, often illegal, players ON THE PITCH but lovely blokes off it and certainly don't deserve to be called scumbags IMO.

They played in a different era and coming up through the club game then you had to be tough and rough to survive. Handshakes and pints with most opponents post-match, no doubt.

You mustn't be aware of Brennan's various 'off' field activities never mind his various on-field adventures into unacceptable violence. Brennan could have been a template for the term 'thug'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    "Quinlan and Brennan are were scumbags."???

Very harsh. Hard, often illegal, players ON THE PITCH but lovely blokes off it and certainly don't deserve to be called scumbags IMO.

They played in a different era and coming up through the club game then you had to be tough and rough to survive. Handshakes and pints with most opponents post-match, no doubt.

How someone is off the pitch counts for absolutely nothing in how they benefit their team on it.

Quinny is a reasonably nice fella from the dealings I and others have had with hin.

On the pitch, which is the "edge" that we're discussing, he was not a player that I would like to see others eminating.

He served a ban for gouging. A fellow Irishman for that matter. He also served bans for stamping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's interesting to see that Rob Kearney is omitted again this week. Keenan has been doing great so RK may find himself more and more on the outside as he winds down.

Looks like Adam Byrne's career is in real trouble. He hasn't featured since the Munster game despite being fully fit (afaik).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It's interesting to see that Rob Kearney is omitted again this week. Keenan has been doing great so RK may find himself more and more on the outside as he winds down.

Looks like Adam Byrne's career is in real trouble. He hasn't featured since the Munster game despite being fully fit (afaik).

Adam Byrne has had the oddest career, he has looked excellent on occasion, not sure I can ever really remember him being bad but he just seems to not be fancied for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

How someone is off the pitch counts for absolutely nothing in how they benefit their team on it.

Quinny is a reasonably nice fella from the dealings I and others have had with hin.

On the pitch, which is the "edge" that we're discussing, he was not a player that I would like to see others eminating.

He served a ban for gouging. A fellow Irishman for that matter. He also served bans for stamping.

All fair points. I took exception to a typo that has since been edited: "are".

My dealings with both have been grand. Anyone that has played sport at any level knows there are plenty of off-pitch angels and on-pitch devils. Thankfully, the game has changed.

* I really dislike Itoje's goading and triumphalism.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

salmocab wrote: »
    Adam Byrne has had the oddest career, he has looked excellent on occasion, not sure I can ever really remember him being bad but he just seems to not be fancied for whatever reason.

I remember a few dodgy games alright.

Wasn't Barry Daly being selected ahead of him at times? Not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

awec wrote: »

Barry Daly's a good player, would definitely be in or around the team if he didn't have injury issues.

Barry Daly fully fit and firing is a brilliant sight to behold though. Very quick and a very good finisher

Rumours on LF that Byrne is off to a premiership club.

Probably a good move for him.

If that is the case I imagine Leo has him on the back burner similar to how McCarthy and McGrath were last year. If we're not getting his services next year it makes more sense to give guys who will be the minutes they need.

It's very harsh and unsentimental but that is pro sport.

I can imagine it's a similar situation with Kearney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That's as much about Barry Daly being savagely underrated by some. Just had no luck whatsoever with injuries including some major ones. He was deservedly in Ireland's 6N wider squad the season they won the slam.

In 2017-2018 he was worth a spot in the 23 alongside guys like Nacewa, RK and Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Rumours on LF that Byrne is off to a premiership club.

Probably a good move for him.

Heard it from a very good source that he's off. Didn't get where...

I'll guess Bristol, London Irish, Leicester, or Northampton! :)

My point wasn't that Barry Daly is not a good player, it was that Daly only got his full time professional contract late and immediately leapfrogged Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

I remember a few years ago he pulled out of a tackle against Nandolo (so would I) but luke McGrath came sweeping across and made the tackle. Completely highlighted the difference in attitude and confidence between a young player who will cut it, and one, who despite all his talent, just won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I remember a few years ago he pulled out of a tackle against Nandolo (so would I) but luke McGrath came sweeping across and made the tackle. Completely highlighted the difference in attitude and confidence between a young player who will cut it, and one, who despite all his talent, just won't.

I was about to say something similar about the time he started in a European QF, he did the hard part in getting in position to tackle (Willie le Roux I think) and just completely bottled it.

He was just never able to put in the nuts and bolts of pro rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I was about to say something similar about the time he started in a European QF, he did the hard part in getting in position to tackle (Willie le Roux I think) and just completely bottled it.

He was just never able to put in the nuts and bolts of pro rugby.

Stockdale's defending recently reminds me of this, regardless of decision making neither of them seem to relish absolutely smashing somebody. Their hesitance only makes their decision making look even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Daly is a burner! Great pace and a good finisher. Byrne struggles with defense. A few years back some pundit was calling for him to make the B&I Lions! Similar to Ward calling for Dardis to jump right into the Ireland squad. Both Dardis and Byrne have issues with the basics of defending.
    Keenan is good value from what I've seen so far. He's still learning and finding his way but he seems to be doing very well.
    I would start using R.O.L more as a wing! He is a very good center, but when he played wing a few years back , he was really good. J.O.B is playing very well and he's also versatile, he has played fb. With T.O.B soon coming in with a contract, we look well stocked in the backfield.
    I can see A.Byrne going to Leicester! They have picked up Noel Reid and Jordan Coughlan and Geordan Murphy is the director there. R.K may retire, I can't see anyone giving him a big contract. I think they'd be nuts to pay premium price for a 34 year old fb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Sorry folks.... absolute boll**x that Adam Byrne is a bad defender. Watched him loads and just disagree with that completely. He is just in a great team with lots of options. He is a first class finisher and attacker. Must be great to have never missed a tackle, especially in top level pro rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Sorry folks.... absolute boll**x that Adam Byrne is a bad defender. Watched him loads and just disagree with that completely. He is just in a great team with lots of options. He is a first class finisher and attacker. Must be great to have never missed a tackle, especially in top level pro rugby.

But.....he's a bad defender..so therefore he goes behind the better options than him that can attack and defend. He's seriously clever off the pitch, but the fella is playing AIL for UCD at the moment. He is not as good as you think he is, otherwise he'd be playing some sort of part for Leinster in the 6N while everyone is away.

Byrne is a mediocre defender at best. He's demonstrated that multiple times. When he's on form, he's one of the most natural attackers in the land but if he was a first class finisher, attacker and a solid defender, he'd be in the Leinster 23 every week.

It's not so much that he misses tackles (although he does on occasion), it's that he gets caught drifting out of position or struggling to assess what's in front of him. I could pick several poor reads/errors off the top of my head that led directly to tries by him; Montpellier, Munster in the Aviva, Wasps and Scarlets in the Pro14 semi final all featured him making errors that led directly to tries.

He has rarely managed a full season of rugby to really develop. Hopefully a move elsewhere allows him that consistent game time which will help him progress.

• Advertisement

RobbieRuns wrote: »

Given his obvious prowess in the air and going forward, why doesn't he start week in week out?

I think his defensive frailties are overstated. But they're obviously there. Why else hasn't he been able to force his way in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Another year for Fardy please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Can you buy Eir sports as an online account only?

Another year for Fardy please...

Rumoured that's been signed off.

Sure with yer man Baird any notion of keeping Fardy must be laughed out of the room.

Sure with yer man Baird any notion of keeping Fardy must be laughed out of the room.

I'm a massive Fardy fan but I wouldn't approve him staying if I was the IRFU. We've a glut of second row options and Toner will surely be done with Ireland after this season giving us another option during test windows.

On a side note, Molony has mumps according to Cullen. That could rule him out of the trip to SA meaning he's unlikely to get too much more game time this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

It'd be like having an NIQ Saffer playing at scrum-half for a team for seven years!

Baird will be starting for Ireland next season so won't be available much to Leinster.

Baird will be starting for Ireland next season so won't be available much to Leinster.

Toner will be available every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Toner will be available every week.

So in a hypothetical where Leinster are contributing two young talented second rows to the Irish team, they haven't done enough development-wise to justify retaining an NIQ in the position?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement