Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

So you don't think Fardy contributes a lot?
    where did I say that? He has contributed a lot but hes 36 at end of season. Toner isnt likely to be in Irish set up much now. If you need an experienced 2nd row to help younger guys then he can fill that role.
    He doesnt need to stay. Bit like pienaar and any other number of players. Hes done excellent job but time to look to the guys wholl be there long term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

where did I say that? He has contributed a lot but hes 36 at end of season. Toner isnt likely to be in Irish set up much now. If you need an experienced 2nd row to help younger guys then he can fill that role.
    He doesnt need to stay. Bit like pienaar and any other number of players. Hes done excellent job but time to look to the guys wholl be there long term

Well he has signed a year extension so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Leinster need a 9.

McGrath, JGP, Osborne, HOS and Patterson dont really fill you with hope for future. Not much coming through in ways of 9's either and thats a fact, we may have to dip into market.

With both Munster and Ulster having impressive u20 9s in around the squad I think they should share. Casey is getting very little to no game time in Munster and they wanted to sign a niq 9 to block him so that one option

Current u20 9 who is ripping it up is now blocked at Ulster from a niq next season so he need a way to first team

Personally I think Casey should be allowed to move

:-) share the wealth lads and ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Leinster are blessed in the 2nd row! It's disgusting!
    Ryan. Best lock in Ireland.
    Fardy. Australia missed a trick not giving him more caps.
    Toner. Near the end, but playing well.
    Molony. Solid performer.
    Baird. The next prodigy.
    Charlie Ryan. Big unit. Lots of potential.
    Dunne. Looks like a really good lock.
    Deeny. Been very impressive for the u20's.
    This could be a murderer's row of locks.

Assuming it goes ahead what sort of 28 man squad do you send given the need to integrate the irish players back into setup and Saracens game so close?

Prop
    Ed Byrne - if healthy
    Michael Milne
    Jack Aungier
    Roman Salanoa
    Conor Maguire - covers both prop positions and hooker.

Hooker
    James Tracy
    Dan Sheehan

Lock
    Ryan Baird
    Jack Dunne
    Charlie Ryan
    Oisin Dowling

Backrow
    Jack Conan
    Josh Murphy
    Scott Penny
    Martin Moloney

Scrumhalf
    Rowan Osborne
    Hugh O'Sullivan
    Paddy Patterson

Outhalf
    Ciaran Frawley
    Harry Byrne

Outside Backs
    Rory O'Loughlin
    Jimmy O'Brien
    Conor O'Brien - if healthy
    Tommy O'Brien
    Hugo Keenan
    Cian Kelleher
    Barry Daly
    Adam Byrne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would be very surprised if we didn't send a little more experience to SA like Cronin or RK. Molony would have been the ideal captain but if he's not available, I can see Ruddock going as captain.

There's also the option of some players flying home after the Cheetahs game to join the first 15 and others staying on for the easier game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I can’t see anyway that Bent doesn’t travel, that’s way too green a front row selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I think Ulster need to keep quiet, signing over the hill NZ 9's :P

I don't think Ulster have said anything about Fardy....He should be kept on though. Baird was awesome last night. Fardy was even better but in a different way. He battered Glasgow from Start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    With both Munster and Ulster having impressive u20 9s in around the squad I think they should share. Casey is getting very little to no game time in Munster and they wanted to sign a niq 9 to block him so that one option

Current u20 9 who is ripping it up is now blocked at Ulster from a niq next season so he need a way to first team

Personally I think Casey should be allowed to move

:-) share the wealth lads and ladies

Finlay looks good but Doak is often viewed as even better and a more complete 9 who can also genuinely play 10. He's a very talented all round player...like his dad but better. Also, Rhys O'Donnell is a better 9 than Stewart and Shanahan...go figure. Apparently he fell out with the 'director' of the academy and was excluded. I'm not a fan of either type of behaviour but a kid should be given a free pass when they exhibit immature decisions.

stephen_n wrote: »
    I can’t see anyway that Bent doesn’t travel, that’s way too green a front row selection.

Given healys injury they may be looking at bent on the bench at LH. They will want the team to face Saracens training together and therefore not in south Africa.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if we didn't send a little more experience to SA like Cronin or RK. Molony would have been the ideal captain but if he's not available, I can see Ruddock going as captain.

There's also the option of some players flying home after the Cheetahs game to join the first 15 and others staying on for the easier game.

How important is the SA tour?! Not important whatsoever. Sarries on the otherhand..well that's basically the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Buer wrote: »

I'd say Ferg, Bent, Cronin and Rob will all travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Cheetah’s would eat that front row alive, he could come back after the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

How important is the SA tour?! Not important whatsoever. Sarries on the otherhand..well that's basically the season.

Grand. They're still not sending a development squad down there. The first team along with several of the bench will stay behind most likely. Possibly Lancaster too. All other fit players will probably travel and be supported by academy players.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tomane had another strong game last night. I think he's done enough to warrant another contract. Hope so anyway.

Clegg wrote: »
    Tomane had another strong game last night. I think he's done enough to warrant another contract. Hope so anyway.

Seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Anywhere to watch the game in full online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Clegg wrote: »

He's playing very well this season and I've no problem with keeping him but the money might be better spent on a LH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

jack01986 wrote: »
    Anywhere to watch the game in full online?

Rugbylist

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

LostArt wrote: »
    He's playing very well this season and I've no problem with keeping him but the money might be better spent on a LH.

Why did we give away a Lions LH only to find ourselves needing to sign a NIE one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

McGrath wanted to leave iirc. Lost his starting place to Healy and wasn't playing well enough to regain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

This Corona virus may have a big say on who goes to SA (assuming that does go ahead). For example of the game in Paris were to be called off then none of our internationals would have played in 5 weeks. We cant go into the QF with a scenario like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

molloyjh wrote: »
    This Corona virus may have a big say on who goes to SA (assuming that does go ahead). For example of the game in Paris were to be called off then none of our internationals would have played in 5 weeks. We cant go into the QF with a scenario like that.

France has banned gatherings of more then 5000 ppl

Got to assume the game will be postponed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Saints two tries in 6 minutes v Saracens

Saracens players look a bit disinterested. Very passive so far

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Can someone give me a quick overview of the various O'Briens? I'm a bit lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The one in donnybrook is handy for cans for matches in the RDS. I actually checked it last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The one on Clonsilla road used to run a wine club

• Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bravo bravissimo, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Toner and Fardy are completely different players. Different skillets and mentalities. A young lock could learn a lot from both and become a much better player for it.

• Advertisement

Is it O'Brien's dating advice your after?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement