Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Hines was better for Leinster than Thorne.

Yup, would agree.

We can even ignore the number of games played - I don't have an issue with Elsom for example. But Elsom was truly exceptional for his period at Leinster and I'm not entirely convinced Thorn was that during his tenure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Thorn only played in 8 games for Leinster :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Thorn only played in 8 games for Leinster :confused:

Was only here for 3 months as injury cover for Leo Cullen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah I remember but it's still only 8 games, he didn't even start all of them!

but you have to take into account it's best ever team for leinster. Thorn was great but played 8 games for leinster.
    He is better than the others overall but it's best team for leinster and I would consider what Cullen, toner, Ryan ahead of him

I guess we're answering two different questions.

It's either:

Who achieved the most for Leinster in each position

Who achieved the highest ceiling in each position and had a Leinster cap

They are two very different questions but it's the latter interpretation I'm working off.

2005 Lote Tuquiri says hello by the way :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Honestly, I don't really look back on Thorn's period here as anything special. In terms of contribution to Leinster, I'd have him behind Hines and Fardy and not on the same planet as MOK and Cullen.

Sure, he's the best player out of all of them, but by that measure you'd be picking Christian Cullen in the Munster XV and Muliana for Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I guess we're answering two different questions.

It's either:

Who achieved the most for Leinster in each position

Who achieved the highest ceiling in each position and had a Leinster cap

They are two very different questions but it's the latter interpretation I'm working off.

2005 Lote Tuquiri says hello by the way :D
    it is two very different questions but it's the best leinster team of the era not the best players to have played for leinster.
    I think if what they did for leinster then thorn wouldnt even make a 23. I would have 4 second rows ahead of him for what they have done in the jersey.

it is two very different questions but it's the best leinster team of the era not the best players to have played for leinster.
    I think if what they did for leinster then thorn wouldnt even make a 23. I would have 4 second rows ahead of him for what they have done in the jersey.

Fair enough. If I was putting together a team of players, based on their best performances for Leinster who I felt would be the hardest team to beat:

Healy
    Cronin
    Furlong
    Mal
    Ryan
    Elsom
    SOB
    Heaslip
    McGrath
    Sexton
    Lowe
    BOD
    Ringrose
    Isa
    Kearney

Fitz, Horgan and Larmour nipping at a few sets of heels there. Elsom v Fardy a conversation. Mal v Thorn a conversation and honestly I feel bad leaving Toner and Cullen out but I always think of their contributions as adding up incrementally to best in class over a season, as opposed to changing a specific game on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Fair enough. If I was putting together a team of players, based on their best performances for Leinster who I felt would be the hardest team to beat:

Healy
    Cronin
    Furlong
    Mal
    Ryan
    Elsom
    SOB
    Heaslip
    McGrath
    Sexton
    Lowe
    BOD
    Ringrose
    Isa
    Kearney

Fitz, Horgan and Larmour nipping at a few sets of heels there. Elsom v Fardy a conversation. Mal v Thorn a conversation and honestly I feel bad leaving Toner and Cullen out but I always think of their contributions as adding up incrementally to best in class over a season, as opposed to changing a specific game on the day.

I know there’s an element of fitting people in but darcy at 12 over Ringrose at 13 any day of the week if your looking for a team that would be hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's a very good side, Venjur. I'd have Fardy in for Mal tho. Mal was an excellent footballer, but sometimes I felt he could have done more around pitch. Fardy is his equal skills wise and is just a pest everywhere on and off the ball.

Would have Reddan in instead of Luke too. Think Luke is the better all rounder, but Reddan's speed to the ruck and quality of pass is miles better. O agree on the other 13 players tho.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hardly a secret but Rob K must be announcing his retirement shortly- his book is out in October just in time for the Christmas market...

Even at that I would consider that it has to be based on their performances for Leinster. To me, Thorn was great, but didn't do anything that Hines or Fardy hasn't managed at times in a Leinster jersey. His performances in an AB jersey are irrelevant to the discussion. Elsom was hands down much better in a Leinster jersey than Thorn ever was and that is why he deserves his place,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Do Leinster win in Bordeaux against Clermont in 2012 without Thorn? Doubtful, in my opinion. For that alone he's important in Leinster's legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Hardly a secret but Rob K must be announcing his retirement shortly- his book is out in October just in time for the Christmas market...

Yeah would generally indicate he's retiring considering most players wait to retire before publishing any sort of autobiography (Best, O'Connell, BOD all released theirs right after they retired, Heaslip and Ross the year after).

The only exception I can think of would be Johnny's in 2013.

He mentioned in an interview with Thornley last month he'd been looking at options outside of Ireland but everything was off the table once the seasons were postponed/cancelled.

Do Leinster win in Bordeaux against Clermont in 2012 without Thorn? Doubtful, in my opinion. For that alone he's important in Leinster's legacy.

Like...maybe? Devin Toner is not exactly a **** player as his 70 Ireland caps attest to. He was far from the most important player in that victory.

If Fofana had skipped arm day a couple times we would have lost. Should we put a statue to his gym work ethic up in the RDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Te’o walked out of Leinster and straight into the England squad for the Australia tour which they won, not sure how much he played in that end of season but for someone so awful it was amazing how quick he jumped nearly every Centre in England to walk into the squad :-)

England used him almost exclusively as an impact sub if memory serves - a role he was well suited to. It's not as if he doesn't have his strengths. He's got useful pace for a big guy, and surprisingly good footwork. He's very dynamic and obviously has that offloading ability. Taking all that into consideration, does Gatland dropping him when he always preferred a big, powerful 12 not suggest that there were some serious deficiencies in other parts of his game?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Voted by the fans. Clicks nothing to do with it.

They didn't have anyone listed in two positions, so you had this odd situation in which either Nacewa or Kearney had to miss out, but James Lowe made it into the RTE team.

Contepomi was shortlisted at 12 and 10 so he could and should have been an option for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

So these were the options for the RTE voting. Unsure why Isa isn't an option on the wing given that Contepomi was in two categories. Only two options for 13.

15: RK, Isa or Larmour
    14/11: Shane Horgan, Denis Hickie, Luke Fitzgerald, Fergus McFadden, Dave Kearney and James Lowe
    13: BOD, Ringrose
    12: Contepomi, D'arcy, Henshaw
    10 Sexton, Contepomi, Madigan
    9 Boss, Reddan, Whitaker

8/7/6: Jamie Heaslip, Victor Costello, Sean O’Brien, Shane Jennings, Rocky Elsom, Rhys Ruddock, Trevor Brennan, Dan Leavy, Josh van der Flier
    5/4: Leo Cullen, Brad Thorne, Nathan Hines, Devin Toner, James Ryan, Malcolm O'Kelly
    3 Tadhg Furlong Mike Ross Stan Wright
    2 Sean Cronin, Richardt Strauss, Shane Byrne
    1 Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, Reggie Corrigan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

England used him almost exclusively as an impact sub if memory serves - a role he was well suited to. It's not as if he doesn't have his strengths. He's got useful pace for a big guy, and surprisingly good footwork. He's very dynamic and obviously has that offloading ability. Taking all that into consideration, does Gatland dropping him when he always preferred a big, powerful 12 not suggest that there were some serious deficiencies in other parts of his game?

Gatland dropped him from the Lions. You don't get there if you have "no understanding of running lines or how to time passes as an inside centre".

Gatland also dropped Drico. Would you suggest there were serious deficiencies in other parts of his game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

aloooof wrote: »
    Gatland dropped him from the Lions. You don't get there if you have "no understanding of running lines or how to time passes as an inside centre".

Gatland also dropped Drico. Would you suggest there were serious deficiencies in other parts of his game?

T'eo and then Tomane got picked out for special attention by that poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

clsmooth wrote: »
    How about Luke Fitz? Won a GS, 3 HK and started a Lions test. Decent argument for him IMO. He still managed quite a lot considering his extensive injury history.

Luke Fitz is one of the most over rated players of Leinster's pro error. Lowe already has nearly as many tries as him in 100 less appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Luke Fitz at his peak was an excellent player, will never know how good he could have been due to his injury problems.

But he was on track to be a leinster great in 2009.

Haven't had a young wing that talented come through the system since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Luke Fitz is one of the most over rated players of Leinster's pro error. Lowe already has nearly as many tries as him in 100 less appearances.

Luke Fitz was an incredible player. Problem was he couldn't stay fit. If he was fit all the time he would have been up with the Leinster greats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'd say if you were counting try assists, he'd rank very high. He was often the guy who made the break and got the team into a scoring position. Lowe comes off his wing a lot more and so gets a lot more ball than Luke would have done as a more 'traditional' winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Peak Fitzgerald was excellent and had more natural talent than Lowe. He played in a weaker team who didn't play such an attacking style but still made an impression. He was the best defender Leinster have had on the wing bar none. His peak years (2006-10) were played in a fairly defensive Leinster team which used their wingers completely differently. But he did show glimpses of his natural talent. Larmour is the only player who had a step in the same class. He was also far more rounded. He had a very decent left boot and was able to start at 12 against NZ just after his 21st birthday and look completely at home which Lowe simply couldn't do.

Lowe is far more powerful and effective at scoring tries. He also has licence to play off the cuff rugby along with those around him which really suits him. He's a big fan favourite and deservedly but I'd say he also has a fairly high error count which goes hand in hand with his style.

I still wouldn't have either in the best Leinster side of the pro era though. Nacewa and Horgan for me, I'd say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Do they win without the drop kick at goal?

Would we have won in Clermont without Thorn? If we'd replaced him with Fardy, Ryan or Hines, I think so.

Cullen was just as good as him that day too. He was immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Cullen outplayed Thorn for me on that day. Thorn was very good in his 8 games. That's it, for me. He probably wasn't quite at the level he was 9 months previously but was still an excellent player.

8 games of being consistently very good does not get him into the best side of the era. Elsom has a case because he was exceptional for a full season i.e. MOTM in about a dozen games.

In those closing minutes under our own posts in Bordeaux, Cullen's performance was more important than Thorn, for me. He was sensational in that spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Toner - 244 appearances
    Cullen - 219 appearances
    MOK - 184 appearances
    Fardy - 58 appearances
    Hines - 46 appearances
    Ryan - 37 appearances
    Thorne - 8 appearances

Toner & Hines underrated?
    Thorne overrated?

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    In those closing minutes under our own posts in Bordeaux, Cullen's performance was more important than Thorn, for me. He was sensational in that spell.

I'll never forget Julien Bardy headbutting Cullen, disguising it as rucking and trying to draw a penalty, Cullen just wouldn't react when most lads would have lashed out.

Edit; 8.35 in this clip
    https://youtu.be/qjxFow0FLRQ?t=517

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement