Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I want to keep Fardy because he's awesome, but the "he'll bring the young lads along" is a stretch. I'd say Baird would rather have the extra game time he'd have by virtue of Fardy departing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I want to keep Fardy because he's awesome, but the "he'll bring the young lads along" is a stretch. I'd say Baird would rather have the extra game time he'd have by virtue of Fardy departing tbh.

Definitely agreed there. Baird would be better off playing the higher standard of rugby but he’s not as good as Fardy yet. He’s got lots of time to get there and get high level game time.

Given the current circumstances Id sign Fardy if he wants a deal. If he wants to head home I’d leave him off. He has a young kid and not a huge number of years left and he’s been a great servant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Leinster are going to lose players every year now I reckon to the other provinces. There is a combination of Leinster having one of the best academies in the world, the other provinces seeming fairly stagnant, and the IRFU wanting greater player mobility. It's disappointing losing such young guys really, especially in positions like prop where they peak much much later in their careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

no problem with players leaving thats inevitable.

my issue is that Aungier likely wouldn't have left if he was aware Salanoa was, but due to IRFU interference leinster are now left light. 2 players from the same position is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Leinster are going to lose players every year now I reckon to the other provinces. There is a combination of Leinster having one of the best academies in the world, the other provinces seeming fairly stagnant, and the IRFU wanting greater player mobility. It's disappointing losing such young guys really, especially in positions like prop where they peak much much later in their careers.

I’ve no real issue with it, so long as we can hang onto the best which I don’t think should be an issue really.

• Advertisement

Next man up for Leinster Academy at TH Prop?

U21
    Charlie Ward(Tullow/Clontarf)
    INPHO_01692849.jpg

U20
    Sam Illo(Wesley/Old Wesley)
    1779152.jpg
    Ben Griffin(Coolmine RFC-Castleknock)
    1882400.jpg
    Shane Connolly(Roscrea)
    INPHO_01675848.jpg
    Aaron Rowan(Athy RFC-Blackrock)
    INPHO_01490610.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

salmocab wrote: »
    I’ve no real issue with it, so long as we can hang onto the best which I don’t think should be an issue really.

There's already precedent for this with Carbery. I wonder if one of Doris, Deegan or Conan will end up leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There's already precedent for this with Carbery. I wonder if one of Doris, Deegan or Conan will end up leaving.

The Carbery one was odd in so far as external factors were pulling him, I think ultimately people are going to look at him, Jordi and Mc Grath and think the grass isn’t always greener, Leinster currently offers the best setup in probably the NH and is the most likely place to win silverware. It’s possible one of those lads might move on but ultimately Leinster will still have 2 international 8s with god knows who coming up the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ah sure we kept the better outhalf. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Wrong thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Mad how even a conversation about tighthead props can somehow get a mention of Tomane.

Just proves how awesome Tomane is. Everything in Leinster revolves around Tomane. I predict that when we are talking about the Ireland squad for the 2027 RWC, Tomane's name will come up because his influence is that great.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

U21
    INPHO_01692849.jpg

U20
    1779152.jpg
    1882400.jpg
    Shane Connolly(Roscrea)
    INPHO_01675848.jpg
    INPHO_01490610.jpg

I'm confused about the slimming effects of hoops.
    Also, Charlie Ward looks 45.

Also, Charlie Ward looks 45.

Apparently Finlay Bealham and Peter Clohessy had a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

U21
    INPHO_01692849.jpg

U20
    1779152.jpg
    1882400.jpg
    Shane Connolly(Roscrea)
    INPHO_01675848.jpg
    INPHO_01490610.jpg

If Sam Illo sorts out his work ethic, he'd be quality.

Is that Rowan who played 8 for Rock this past year at SCT? Didn't know he was a tighthead, very unlike Rock to not play an out and out 8 in the team.

If Sam Illo sorts out his work ethic, he'd be quality.

Is that Rowan who played 8 for Rock this past year at SCT? Didn't know he was a tighthead, very unlike Rock to not play an out and out 8 in the team.

Yeah he played LH prop last season, I believe the preferred out and out 8 was injured for the cup.

So they moved Rowan to 8. He may settle at loose or tight, wait and see.

Doubt Illo will sort that out, but I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Jack Aungier and Oisín Dowling confirmed by Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Disappointing that we're losing these lads, but they were well down in the depth chart I suppose. Big opportunity for younger academy players to stake a place.

Munster have confirmed the signing of Salonoa btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,233 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Clegg wrote: »
    Disappointing that we're losing these lads, but they were well down in the depth chart I suppose. Big opportunity for younger academy players to stake a place.

Yeah but they were real prospects.

I wonder if leinster can start loaning these player on long term deals. So they could have an o option to negotiate with them in 3/4 years and if they can agree terms then they could come back.

In principle I'd be much more in favour of them going and committing fully to the new team, but I really think leinster is being diddled and the rate of diddling is increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I wonder if leinster can start loaning these player on long term deals. So they could have an o option to negotiate with them in 3/4 years and if they can agree terms then they could come back.

In principle I'd be much more in favour of them going and committing fully to the new team, but I really think leinster is being diddled and the rate of diddling is increasing.

Leinster is being diddled because they don't have spots for everyone. They can always attempt to re-sign once the players are out of contract.
    Dowling was behind three other academy locks from what I hear and had to be either promoted or let walk.

• Advertisement

A lot of these guys are real prospects. But Leinster are producing so many talented players that some wing get a look in. Dowling isn't behind just Toner, Fardy and Ryan. He's behind Baird, Josh Murphy and even Jack Dunne. Eventuality you have to start considering your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,233 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Clegg wrote: »
    A lot of these guys are real prospects. But Leinster are producing so many talented players that some wing get a look in. Dowling isn't behind just Toner, Fardy and Ryan. He's behind Baird, Josh Murphy and even Jack Dunne. Eventuality you have to start considering your position.

Should there at least be compensation to the leinster academy for developing these guys for the benefit of other provinces and Irish rugby?

We can't hoard players. If we're losing them, it's because we cannot give them game time. There will be more to leave in the future and they're going to be of a higher profile too. I'd be surprised if we don't lose a senior squad back row player in the next 12 months most likely Deegan or Penny.

I can certainly see Deegan being approached by the IRFU with Munster in mind. JOD appears to be a flanker now (he has one start at 8 in the last two seasons) and, with Gavin Coombes being very much on the periphery still, I can see there being a gap at 8 in the next year or so. Deegan would have the potential to be the first choice 8 there for a sustained period given the age profile of their current options. With Botha leaving, I would imagine they're going to try to invest time in Coombes. If Coombes doesn't look capable of starting European rugby in the next 9 months or so, I can see the move on the cards.

Penny will just be too far down the pecking order, I suspect and will be forced to look elsewhere for game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »

I can certainly see Deegan being approached by the IRFU with Munster in mind. JOD appears to be a flanker now (he has one start at 8 in the last two seasons) and, with Gavin Coombes being very much on the periphery still, I can see there being a gap at 8 in the next year or so. Deegan would have the potential to be the first choice 8 there for a sustained period given the age profile of their current options. With Botha leaving, I would imagine they're going to try to invest time in Coombes. If Coombes doesn't look capable of starting European rugby in the next 9 months or so, I can see the move on the cards.

You're forgetting Jack O'Sullivan. He's next in line at 8 at Munster with three starts last season. He was just re-signed for three years out of the academy which rarely happens.

You're forgetting Jack O'Sullivan. He's next in line at 8 at Munster with three starts last season. He was just re-signed for three years out of the academy which rarely happens.

Au contraire. I don't see him being a No. 8 ultimately. I'm not convinced he has the size to play 8 at the top level, like Hodnett.

He's still not 22 so he has time to bulk up but, if the Munster site is to be believed, he's only 100kg. Even allowing for that being out of date, I'd be surprised if he was much more than 104kg which would put him 10kg lighter than someone like Stander who is around the same height.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

leinster are not being didlled or anything else. Leinster being province with most club players, most schools players. Have far more schools with very big budgets to spend in the sport. It's not surprising that they are producing an excess of players and that players are being kept in the Irish system rather than being let go or going abroad.
    Irfu wouldnt really agree to long term loan deals and players are perfectly entitled to look to rejoin leinster in a few years time as many have done over the years.
    Leinster is being diddled because they don't have spots for everyone. They can always attempt to re-sign once the players are out of contract.
    Dowling was behind three other academy locks from what I hear and had to be either promoted or let walk.
    but leinster aren't being didlled. They're losing guys they dont need to keep but guys it would be nice to have as extra squad players
    Should there at least be compensation to the leinster academy for developing these guys for the benefit of other provinces and Irish rugby?
    no. There is already major differences between finance of provinces and you would be going down route of providing compensation to the schools and clubs etc who did work up to 18 and do we really need that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ya, I'd have thought Penny would be much more likely than Deegan.

aloooof wrote: »
    Ya, I'd have thought Penny would be much more likely than Deegan.

He is but Deegan featuring in the 6N already brings him strongly into focus too.

His international ambitions will be more relevant and he'll also be on the IRFU radar for redeployment to benefit another province now similar to Jordi Murphy. If he's 3rd choice No. 8 at Leinster, a move will be raised as an option. It might not come to pass but it there's a very strong logic to it.

I see Penny as almost certain to move eventually unless he moves up the pecking order in the next year.

The propping up of the other provinces can't continue long term, some joke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The propping up of the other provinces can't continue long term, some joke.

Is it that surprising that the province with the most resources produces the most players?

And if these players are to leave, would you rather see them remain in Ireland or move abroad?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement