Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Buer wrote: »
    Au contraire. I don't see him being a No. 8 ultimately. I'm not convinced he has the size to play 8 at the top level, like Hodnett.

He's still not 22 so he has time to bulk up but, if the Munster site is to be believed, he's only 100kg. Even allowing for that being out of date, I'd be surprised if he was much more than 104kg which would put him 10kg lighter than someone like Stander who is around the same height.

Jack O'Sullivan will be a main man for Munster going forward definitely. 8 is his position, Hodnett a 7 out and out.

I've seen JOS play a good few times and he skittles people in contact, not sure size is his issue. At top level he will obviously take a few years to grow into his frame but Munster will persevere with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

aloooof wrote: »
    Is it that surprising that the province with the most resources produces the most players?

And if these players are to leave, would you rather see them remain in Ireland or move abroad?

Is it surprising that Munster have to rely on South africans and leinster players to remain competitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is it surprising that Munster have to rely on South africans and leinster players to remain competitive?

The mask slips eventually again.

The mask slips eventually again.

I'll take that as a no then.

I'll take that as a no then.

You can take it as my bemusement at anyone who is a fan of an incredibly successful team being this consistently miserable.

If you want to watch a sport of fully indigenous players in teams, I urge you to try GAA.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

He is but Deegan featuring in the 6N already brings him strongly into focus too.

His international ambitions will be more relevant and he'll also be on the IRFU radar for redeployment to benefit another province now similar to Jordi Murphy. If he's 3rd choice No. 8 at Leinster, a move will be raised as an option. It might not come to pass but it there's a very strong logic to it.

I see Penny as almost certain to move eventually unless he moves up the pecking order in the next year.

Penny is a 7, so he is in with JVDF and Leavy. If Leavy comes back and is close to the player he was then I woudl expect Penny to leave. Unfortuneatly at the moment its hard to call what Leavy will be like. So I suggest Penny waits and see....

People seem to be in huge rush to move players out of Leinster. Then Leinster always seem to get caught out. THe backrow has highest injury rate, just look at the amount of time JVDF and Leavy played together.

Leinster play on average 50 games per season and supply the bulk of the Ireland squad. Plenty of games to go around.

Penny leaves, Leavy comes back and struggles and JVDF get injured. A bit light then

50 games? In 2018/19 they played 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jack O'Sullivan will be a main man for Munster going forward definitely. 8 is his position, Hodnett a 7 out and out.

I've seen JOS play a good few times and he skittles people in contact, not sure size is his issue. At top level he will obviously take a few years to grow into his frame but Munster will persevere with him.

We'll see. Skittling people at underage/AIL is very different to doing it at full pro level. A lot of guys start out as a No. 8 and then wind up elsewhere when they get to senior level after opposition sides figure them out.

When players become a known quantity, they're shackled a lot more easily. I can see JOS becoming a flanker who gets around the park and hits soft shoulders in wider channels. I think that will suit his game far more in time to come than being hammered in contact over and over. If he does reach the levels that he could/should, I don't see Stander being moved to flanker to accommodate him at 8; far more likely the other way around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Penny is a 7, so he is in with JVDF and Leavy. If Leavy comes back and is close to the player he was then I woudl expect Penny to leave. Unfortuneatly at the moment its hard to call what Leavy will be like. So I suggest Penny waits and see....

People seem to be in huge rush to move players out of Leinster. Then Leinster always seem to get caught out. THe backrow has highest injury rate, just look at the amount of time JVDF and Leavy played together.

Leinster play on average 50 games per season and supply the bulk of the Ireland squad. Plenty of games to go around.

Penny leaves, Leavy comes back and struggles and JVDF get injured. A bit light then

50? Leister played 32 games last season and that's with getting to both finals. If you want to add in pre-season friendlies, it's up to 34 and that's the max they can have played.

You're also forgetting Will Connors is in the frame here too.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »

You're forgetting Will Connors who was ahead of Penny all season too. With Leavy missing for the entire season and VDF gone with Ireland (in a RWC season too) he has had 7 appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

You're forgetting Will Connors who was ahead of Penny all season too. With Leavy missing for the entire season and VDF gone with Ireland (in a RWC season too) he has had 7 appearances.

Funnily I actually think vdf could be the one who ends up leaving.
    All depends on leavy coming back the player he was but if he does vdf looses out for Leinster and Ireland.

Same way Jordi and Jack McGrath couldn't go back to being a sub vdf might be similar. Connors/penny probably will be patient

All conjecture

I'd be surprised. VDF is first choice for Ireland and Leinster. He also turns 28 next season. He signed a contract in 2018 so he's either signed a new one in the last couple of months or is starting to renegotiate at the end of this year. I don't see him signing for someone else in that period meaning that, unless he breaks contract (not unheard of), he'll be pushing 30 next time he sits down to sign a deal.

I'm not sure how eager other provinces will be at that point to chase him. I think they'd much rather focus on younger prospects or guys who will definitely have a few peak years directly in front of them e.g. Jordi Murphy making his Ulster debut at 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Dowling leaving probably increases the likelihood of Fardy being at Leinster next season.

I have to say Fardy being retained wouldn't sit right with me in the context of Dowling having to leave to get more gametime. Dowling looked pretty good in his 67 minutes or whatever it was replacing Murphy away to Glasgow. But he hasn't really got much of a shot - 1 start and 189 total minutes. They'd be getting one more season out of a 36-year old NIQ who isn't first choice instead of giving Dowling every opportunity to potentially have a whole career with Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

VDF is better than Leavy.

Nope.

At least prior injury.

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not really no.

Leinster would be in the same boat if it weren't for the money floating about Leinster schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s an odd one I think, despite both playing the same position they are very different players. VDF is an excellent 7 but I think Leavy is the better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

VDF and Leavy have been on the scene for years now yet we've barely seen them.ever play together. Hopefully they'll both remain injury free for a whike. Pair the two on the flanks alongside a big ball carrier like Conan or Doris and they could wreak havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The propping up of the other provinces can't continue long term, some joke.

I agree. Leinster should keep all the players who come in to their academy forever. They can keep filling it until they have several thousand players on the pay roll but who of course can never actually get a game. They can only leave when they die of old age.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

jacothelad wrote: »
    I agree. Leinster should keep all the players who come in to their academy forever. They can keep filling it until they have several thousand players on the pay roll but who of course can never actually get a game. They can only leave when they die of old age.

Sounds like a plan. But there can be no corresponding budget increases, can't just keep sinking money into Leinster.

Every time a new player is produced, all other players must take a pay cut in order to free up the cash for the extra salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

awec wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan. But there can be no corresponding budget increases, can't just keep sinking money into Leinster.

Every time a new player is produced, all other players must take a pay cut in order to free up the cash for the extra salary.

Actually of course it is the other provinces that prop up Leinster by relieving them of dead wood thus making openings for fresh players.....:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Clegg wrote: »
    VDF and Leavy have been on the scene for years now yet we've barely seen them.ever play together. Hopefully they'll both remain injury free for a whike. Pair the two on the flanks alongside a big ball carrier like Conan or Doris and they could wreak havoc.

A large part of that is obviously down to injury, but isn't it also because they both play the same position? (Obviously Leavy well capable of filling in at 6).

jacothelad wrote: »

You say this like it's a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Question about our new player Dowling

n°5 or 6? Too light to play lock? (1,96m 106 kg)

And more important, does he jump well in the lineout? Connacht's not the most immaculate, and with McCartney our thrower gone, a new lineout jumper would help...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

aloooof wrote: »
    A large part of that is obviously down to injury, but isn't it also because they both play the same position? (Obviously Leavy well capable of filling in at 6).

Tbh I can't recall a time in the last two or three years when one has been benched for the other either. Injuries have taken their toll on both players. They started in the same backrow against Bath in December 2018 and that's one of the few times I can remember them appearing in the same squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I’d pick Leavy against England, I’d pick VDF against New Zealand

Leinster are more likely to play an england style team than a NZ style team. therefore gimme leavy every time.

and this time next season I could see Connors being a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Ugo Monye was on OTB wit Keith Wood and was talking about "Bloodgate", and basically it was not a once off incident.
    As he says you make sure you have "your boots, ball, blood capsules..."
    He also inferred they weren't the only ones in the Premiership doing it at the time.... he makes reference to the 2009 Semi-final (Cardif v Leicester)!!

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    Question about our new player Dowling

n°5 or 6? Too light to play lock? (1,96m 106 kg)

And more important, does he jump well in the lineout? Connacht's not the most immaculate, and with McCartney our thrower gone, a new lineout jumper would help...

He is a 6 who can cover lock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement