Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

What is he doing there? Straight leg hop?

Measuring the power/explosiveness off of the leg he injured using one of the tracker apps it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

He's doing vertical jumps. They're the best way of measuring explosive strength.

They're also by far the hardest to improve with training from a normal level.

A non athletic person can go from a 20kg bench press to 150kg bench press with enough practice.

But you can never gain anywhere close to those kinds of gains in the vertical jump. It's a really interesting metric. You either have it or you don't.

So it's a really useful one to use for tracking your recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Looked like he turned away in pain after landing......

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Looked like he turned away in pain after landing......

It didn't look great. Hopefully all was good

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

George Kruis to Japan confirmed. Wonder if he'll still be around for the Euro cup knockouts if they ever happen. Dunno if the dates will move but the Top League tends to start in August.

• Advertisement

George Kruis to Japan confirmed. Wonder if he'll still be around for the Euro cup knockouts if they ever happen. Dunno if the dates will move but the Top League tends to start in August.

Huge amount of players have left Sarries. None of them will be sticking around because they have to reduce wages. If they keep on paying them they will just be in more trouble

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    It didn't look great. Hopefully all was good

To be honest if he never plays again but leads a normal life that is all I would be concerned about. Anything after that is a bonus.

If he does come back I will be sure to be at that game to cheer him on

Huge amount of players have left Sarries. None of them will be sticking around because they have to reduce wages. If they keep on paying them they will just be in more trouble

Not really, Earls, Malins, and Singleton left on season-long loans, the only actual confirmed permanent departures so far have been Williams, Gallagher, Kruis, Lamositeli, Skelton and Gray (who was on loan anyways).

It's mostly just been rumours floating around about players but there hasn't been many confirmed departures. Especially given the current climate when clubs won't exactly be splashing out as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They really haven't. They've lost a few important players and have 2 guys yet to confirm (Itoje and Mako Vunipola).

Of those that have left, 4 have done so on loan and will rejoin when Saracens come back to the Premiership. The only guys who have officially departed and will no longer be associated with Saracens are Liam Williams, Joe Gray, Skelton, Lamositele, Gallagher and Kruis.

So they've lost 5 guys from the 23 who started last season's European final. Of those, Singleton (gone on loan) has overtaken Gray this season, Kruis has gone to Japan only on a 1 year deal and Liam Williams hasn't played for Saracens this season anyway.

When they come back up to the Premiership, their 23 is going to be arguably the strongest in Europe still if they have MV and Itoje available. The departure of the likes of Williams, Lamositele and Skelton will have brought them in line with the cap.

Not really, Earls, Malins, and Singleton left on season-long loans, the only actual confirmed permanent departures so far have been Williams, Gallagher, Kruis, Lamositeli, Skelton and Gray (who was on loan anyways).

It's mostly just been rumours floating around about players but there hasn't been many confirmed departures. Especially given the current climate when clubs won't exactly be splashing out as much.

That's 10 players, sorry I would say that is fairly huge for a club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

It kind of is, but at the same time, their squad hasn't been gutted of the really high profile stars. E.g. Owen Farrell, the Vunipolas, Itoje etc.

Again, 3 gone on loan, one gone who was on loan since 2018.

They had 18 players leave/retire at the end of the 18/19 season. Something tells me they'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

crisco10 wrote: »
    It kind of is, but at the same time, their squad hasn't been gutted of the really high profile stars. E.g. Owen Farrell, the Vunipolas, Itoje etc.

They're going to be fine and I'd guess they'll possibly be favourites to win the Premiership their first season back.

At the moment, they'll be able to put out this team for the 2021/22 season:

Vunipola, George, Koch, Isiekwe, Itoje, Wray, Earl, Vunipola, Spencer, Farrell, Daly, Barritt, Lozowski, Maitland, Goode.

That's assuming they don't lose or sign anyone else as well as assuming that Kruis doesn't come back after his year in Japan which I'd say is a strong possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

From Leinster Rugby;

Leinster Rugby season tickets sale for season 2020/21 to be cancelled.

Current season ticket holders will retain the right to purchase their current seat through to season 2021/22.

Current season ticket holders to receive credit for the three remaining games of the 2019/20 season on pro rata basis.

Supporters who bought single match tickets to any of the Saracens, Munster Rugby, Zebre or Cardiff Blues games will be refunded automatically.

Leinster Rugby to launch Official Membership offering for current season ticket holders for 2020/21 on Monday 8th June.

Leinster Rugby has this afternoon confirmed that Season Tickets for next season will not now go on sale and instead that supporters will have the opportunity to avail of any match tickets that do become available for next season through a new Official Membership open exclusively, in the first instance, to current season ticket holders.

Season Tickets for 2020/21 were due to go on sale to current season ticket holders in late March but given the sporting and financial uncertainty surrounding the Covid-19 crisis, the renewal window was postponed.

With social distancing now likely to remain a part of sporting and other spectator events for some time to come, that renewal has now been formally cancelled by Leinster Rugby as it was not feasible to accommodate over 12,800 season ticket holders for next season in the RDS Arena.

“Cancelling our Season Ticket offering is an unprecedented step” explained Dawson, “and one that will have a significant financial impact on our organisation but we feel it is the right decision to make.

“It has been a very difficult time for everyone and nobody knows what the future will look like but as a business we have to make decisions now based on the best information available to us.

“The priority now is to finish the 2019/20 season, look after those that have tickets outstanding and then hopefully start the 2020/21 season.

“Our supporters have been a crucial part of our success over the years and it is also vital that when we all come back from this, and we will come back, that we have a vibrant supporter base to welcome to the RDS Arena. We feel that by securing their right to purchase their seat for 2021/22, that our supporters will take some comfort from the steps we have taken.”

Leinster Rugby confirmed that the new Official Membership will launch on Monday, 8th June with the initial offer open exclusively to current season ticket holders only.

The Official Membership will provide priority access to any match day tickets that become available during the 2020/21 season as well as other exclusive benefits. Leinster Rugby season ticket holders will be contacted by email in the coming days with full details on the Official Membership and how to avail of same.

Credit for the remaining three games of the 2019/20 season will be applied to season ticket accounts in the coming weeks, while refunds for match day tickets for any one of the Saracens, Munster Rugby, Zebre or Cardiff Blues games will be processed automatically through Ticketmaster or at the point of purchase.

Just got that email as well.

The membership thing sounds an awful lot like a solidarity/bailout kind of thing. There's not much they can offer the punter.

crisco10 wrote: »

Those players are not going to leave. They will be sorted out in back ground to stay. Unless a Gatland or Jones comes out and says they wont play them they will stay at Sarries.....

Like Leinster one of Sarries strenghts was it squad. Look at their record during England games, they didn't lose. They will have to cut this squad depth. No way they can continue as it.

This is only the start of summer, will be interesting to see what it is like come end of season. Who else will leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Would games be able to be moved from RDS to Aviva, if socially distanced games are possible next season? Looks like Saracens game will be behind closed doors so?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Would games be able to be moved from RDS to Aviva, if socially distanced games are possible next season? Looks like Saracens game will be behind closed doors so?

I think it's safe to say that if we're lucky, crowds might be allowed back by this time next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

troyzer wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say that if we're lucky, crowds might be allowed back by this time next year.

madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Don't think that could happen. Leinster are contractually obligated to play a certain number of games in the RDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

colster wrote: »
    Don't think that could happen. Leinster are contractually obligated to play a certain number of games in the RDS.

I think the RDS will be happy enough to not host games. I think I'm right in saying they retain all matchday revenues at the ground, but with no fans in the ground that's zero. If they host behind closed doors they will have to incur costs with no revenues coming in.

That contract will contain a force majeure clause so nothing will be enforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

troyzer wrote: »

Do you think that's earliest they could be held? Not sure will things drastically change between now and then in terms of cases but maybe will take a while. Would think socially distanced games are part of plan but guess issue is when they will be possible

Do you think that's earliest they could be held? Not sure will things drastically change between now and then in terms of cases but maybe will take a while. Would think socially distanced games are part of plan but guess issue is when they will be possible

No, I mean back to normal.

We'll be lucky if they can pack out the stadiums for next year's Heineken cup knockouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,616 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

colster wrote: »

RDS would also have to fork out for considerable cleaning efforts between games/events

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I was saying to mates a few weeks ago a membership subscription for this season would be a great idea. Pay a few bills a month and get live streaming of games included and a bunch of behind the scenes ****e too. I would happily pay for a service like that. All clubs could do it or you could get the Irish Rugby pack etc.

BUT none of it is possible because of broadcasters :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They used to have a membership type system in the past. It was like 40 quid a year or something and you got priority access to tickets (after STH). Was mostly aimed at people living abroad. I had it when I was living in England anyway. THink it just disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

ktulu123 wrote: »
    I was saying to mates a few weeks ago a membership subscription for this season would be a great idea. Pay a few bills a month and get live streaming of games included and a bunch of behind the scenes ****e too. I would happily pay for a service like that. All clubs could do it or you could get the Irish Rugby pack etc.

BUT none of it is possible because of broadcasters :(

If pro rugby is to have any chance of surviving, we need to keep the broadcasters on side. What you're suggesting would bankrupt us very, very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If pro rugby is to have any chance of surviving, we need to keep the broadcasters on side. What you're suggesting would bankrupt us very, very quickly.

If the broadcasters were smarter they'd be developing those options themselves

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

These kind of suggestions always fail because, as great as they would for the supporters of the biggest clubs, they are awful for the small clubs who don’t have a supporter base to sustain such a service. Look at the struggle to even get a broadcaster to show the league in football-mad Italy and then think of how such a service would be sustained by revenues from Zebre supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Since the mail from Leinster says tickets for that match will be refunded, I assume that means they've given up on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement