Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

€120 for the membership.

What is the new Official Membership scheme?

Leinster Rugby has launched a new Official Membership scheme exclusively in the first instance to existing season ticket holders
    There are a host of exclusive member-only benefits included
    Only members of the Official Membership will have access to any match day tickets that become available in the 2020/21 season
    What are the benefits?

The Official Membership will secure for its members access to the following benefits:

Welcome pack (membership card and gift)
    Priority ticket access to tickets that do become available for next season’s matches including,
    Games in the Guinness PRO14 and the Heineken Champions Cup
    Leinster Women’s home games played in the Interprovincial Championship
    Leinster ‘A’ home games played in the Celtic Cup
    Exclusive opportunity to enter lottery to purchase home Guinness 6 Nations tickets
    Money can’t buy promotions (signed jerseys etc.)
    Invitation only events (coaches Q&A etc.)
    Priority access to tickets for knock-out games
    Digital magazine
    10% discount at Life Style Sports instore and online
    Other partner and supplier discounts

Isn't this just the €50 (long-distance) membership they've done for a few years plus some gimmicks?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Think it’s a stretch to say only members will have access to tickets for the season, if they get to a quarter final and restrictions are lifted I’m sure they’ll sell the tickets for the Aviva to anyone with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Isn't this just the €50 (long-distance) membership they've done for a few years plus some gimmicks?

The affiliate membership? Yeah they ended last year ironically. I guess it is the same but with better seat selection in theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

As a value for money proposition, it's rubbish, but I don't think anyone is really looking at this as anything other than a way to avoid a big cash drain out of the province.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

I don't think I'll bother. Way, way, way too expensive for almost nothing in return.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

troyzer wrote: »
    I don't think I'll bother. Way, way, way too expensive for almost nothing in return.

the province needs financial support given covid, think thats the plea here.

understandable if someone doesn't want to do it, but that is the situation, the professional game is under severe pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

troyzer wrote: »

understandable if someone doesn't want to do it, but that is the situation, the professional game is under severe pressure.

I agree with Troyzer. I see your point Scottmactom, but I think they are taking the piss a bit. Why would I pay 40% of my normal season ticket for a scarf and pin? If they had provided a bit more incentive to join, (one of the Adidas polo shirts for example) I bet they would get more people who would be interested. If they had a lower price point, again, they would have gotten more interest. Myself and three friends who have had season tickets for the last 10 years aren't renewing as it's too steep for what it is.

They also haven't even given supporters an option of paying for it in installments like normal season tickets. It's like they forgot that their supporters have also been impacted financially by the pandemic

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Delusional stuff IMO.

Have to say, I'm not particularly wild about the "give us 120 euro or you'll not be allowed to buy tickets" messaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

Happily paid for two in the hope that the great team we saw playing pre Covid can be kept together for post Covid.

awec wrote: »
    Delusional stuff IMO.

Have to say, I'm not particularly wild about the "give us 120 euro or you'll not be allowed to buy tickets" messaging.

I’m okay with the idea that members get first shot but they seem to be over egging it. If restrictions are lifted after Christmas which isn’t beyond the realms then of course they’ll sell you a ticket. NZ is having games with crowds this week we’re way behind them but not sure it’s 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

As a value for money proposition, it's rubbish, but I don't think anyone is really looking at this as anything other than a way to avoid a big cash drain out of the province.

Assume they will be hoping people forego their credit from the year (money already spent), topped up by a bit more to get to the €120

Out of the 2 STs in this house we'll buy one of these 'official memberships' as with kids, in reality only one of would make any game (should those happen and we get a ticket).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I bet they’ll sell a rake of these to people who see that as a fairly insignificant sum. It’s a “nah” from me but I could see all my STH neighbours taking it up.

Fair play to them. They should take money off anyone willing to be parted from it, as should everyone else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A ticket for 1 match is gonna cost admission plus 120. That's me not going to a game for a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

Do we know if 1 membership = 1 potential ticket for a game? We have 2 season tickets and it doesn't seem to tell you if you can buy multiple tickets with one membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

There's no gurantee that even after parting with the 120 that you'll get a ticket.
    Social distance rules at 2M won't have very many people in the RDS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

circos wrote: »
    Do we know if 1 membership = 1 potential ticket for a game? We have 2 season tickets and it doesn't seem to tell you if you can buy multiple tickets with one membership.

You pay the fee for the opportunity to get a ticket. And oddly it goes for A games also. I wouldnt be happy with it. The stuff it's mostly covering where just "nice to have" incentives to being a season ticket holder. If you spend 120 for it. Are you really gonna spend over 1k in lifestyle sports to start making a return on the discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It is a lot for what you get back, but these are extraordinary times. Leinster have given me some really great days out over the years & has become a pretty big part of my social life too! Our gang on the terrace is around 20 strong so games at the RDS are more than just going to a match. Given all of that, if I cant find my way to giving them a few quid now to help them out then what sort of gratitude is that.

Yes I know I didnt get any of that stuff over the years for free, but I'm fortunate to still have my job plus a big reduction in outgoings. So like supporting local businesses (restaurants doing take aways etc) I still think that its the least I can do. None of those other businesses gave up their product for free either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If you chose Option A or B, the credit is in your account and you can choose to use that credit against the purchase of an Official Membership or can leave it in your account and use it towards next season’s Season Tickets

If you chose Option C, to leave your credit with Leinster Rugby as a contribution, we are very grateful for the gesture and that credit will not appear in your account

So the "questionnaire" was actually binding.

Where does one actually see the credit in the account?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

im a bit confused by this.

are they trying to say that if all covid restrictions are lifted in , lets say, october..... that Leinster rugby will only provide tickets to STH for home games for all the rest of the reason???

what if only say, the whole of last years 12,000 people take up this "limited" model.... do they really expect people to believe are they going to go into games in a 'post restriction' with 6,500 empty seats???

sydthebeat wrote: »
    im a bit confused by this.

are they trying to say that if all covid restrictions are lifted in , lets say, october..... that Leinster rugby will only provide tickets to STH for home games for all the rest of the reason???

what if only say, the whole of last years 12,000 people take up this "limited" model.... do they really expect people to believe are they going to go into games in a 'post restriction' with 6,500 empty seats???

That’s what it says but it’s obviously nonsense if the ground is fully open they will want to sell as many tickets as they can. I’d be happy to take up my ticket later in the season if it was pro rata for games left once restrictions are lifted.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »

Yes I know I didnt get any of that stuff over the years for free, but I'm fortunate to still have my job plus a big reduction in outgoings. So like supporting local businesses (restaurants doing take aways etc) I still think that its the least I can do. None of those other businesses gave up their product for free either.

Although to be fair your local businesses haven’t asked for money for nothing presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I haven’t been asked to donate anything by a local business. The closest thing to a business ive donated to is my own rugby club and it is infinitely more likely to face closure than Leinster rugby, which is in absolutely zero danger of being let go by the IRFU. What they’re selling is a product, and they’re relying on fans to view it as a charitable act which is completely up to them as individuals.

Describing Leinster rugby as a “local business” is certainly stretching it, as if they’re like your local family run cafe.

In reality it’s a multi million euro highly profitable business with a wage bill that likely runs into tens of millions for a relatively low number of employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

For starters, I never called Leinster a local business. I likened my ability to support Leinster to my ability to support local businesses. And secondly, they are offering something. It is overpriced, but its not money for nothing. I've gotten great value out of my season ticket over the years, between senior games and A games. Given the value of the previous offering plus the fact that restricted attendances could well happen, I'm essentially donating in or around €50 to an organisation that I definitely feel is worth it. Just like I have spent more than I normally would on other things lately to support businesses that I want to see survive this thing.

EDIT: Bear in mind also, I'd probably also spend a few quid on pre-season games too, so this really isnt that big a deal compared to previous seasons.

I really do think Leinster need to come out and address the issue of their ongoing costs.

The salary deferrals for senior players need to be written off. I rarely get bothered by these things but honestly it's fairly grotesque to have the begging bowls out asking for funds when the current plan of record is for players on absolutely astronomical salaries relative to normal people to have their full wages reinstated and backdated once the money is available.

There are not many businesses that would get away with asking for charity while paying the sort of salaries that rugby provinces do. Most of them would be absolutely slated for it, and rightly so.

I saw Ulster gave season ticket holders the option of donating the outstanding season ticket balance for unplayed games. I hope absolutely nobody does it, just before anyone thinks I'm unfairly targeting Leinster here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,616 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

awec wrote: »
    I really do think Leinster need to come out and address the issue of their ongoing costs.

The salary deferrals for senior players need to be written off. I rarely get bothered by these things but honestly it's fairly grotesque to have the begging bowls out asking for funds when the current plan of record is for players on absolutely astronomical salaries relative to normal people to have their full wages reinstated and backdated once the money is available.

There are not many businesses that would get away with asking for charity while paying the sort of salaries that rugby provinces do. Most of them would be absolutely slated for it, and rightly so.

I saw Ulster gave season ticket holders the option of donating the outstanding season ticket balance for unplayed games. I hope absolutely nobody does it, just before anyone thinks I'm unfairly targeting Leinster here.

The salary deferrals were across the board for the IRFU and Philip Browne addressed that a few weeks back. The likelihood is the deferrals will become full on pay cuts.

Ulster furloughed all players and staff. Is that not the same as Leinster with the begging bowl out?

If people want to not take the option for the ticket balance then thats upto them individually and people may feel that it's a small contribution to their club side which has become a big part of their social activity

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The salary deferrals were across the board for the IRFU and Philip Browne addressed that a few weeks back. The likelihood is the deferrals will become full on pay cuts.

Ulster furloughed all players and staff. Is that not the same as Leinster with the begging bowl out?

If people want to not take the option for the ticket balance then thats upto them individually and people may feel that it's a small contribution to their club side which has become a big part of their social activity

Be better giving money directly to their club so. At least you can be sure that your money is being used for an appropriate cause.

On the other bolded bit, I hope this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think the fans need to stick together on this one. Its not only the province/union that are in trouble as a result of this crisis, not all 13,000 odd ST holders are well to do.

I would have accepted a proposal of 50 or 60 quid to show solidarity and keep access to a ticket lottery, nothing guaranteed. But 120 is a piss take for, as has been said, basically nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No way I 'm signing up for that, same with my long time group of STH's

If I lose my seat in the RDS that I've paid for year on year then their loss. If they had actually said they need charity and please send us a few quid then yeah, I would have. This is just ridiculous,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Steve wrote: »
    No way I 'm signing up for that, same with my long time group of STH's

If I lose my seat in the RDS that I've paid for year on year then their loss. If they had actually said they need charity and please send us a few quid then yeah, I would have. This is just ridiculous,

You won't lose your seat if you don't buy one of these memberships - the note from Micky D said that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement