Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

KaneToad wrote: »
    To this day it still amazes me that Bent played for Ireland before playing for Leinster.

You forget what happened the previous winter in Twickenham. The Irish scrum was struggling and Ross went off around mid way through the first half (albeit I think he had been in difficulty all game).

Tom Court came into a struggling front row and got folded for 60 minutes. We were actually the better team that day in open play. England struggled to build a score despite winning every scrum dominantly. It was a disaster and the coaches were under serious pressure to avoid a repeat so went looking for tightheads and the result was Bent getting capped immediately.

You'd have thought leinster might have announced some contract news by now.

There isn't a single business in the country that isn't being extremely careful with cash right now. Too much uncertainty for long term planning - It won't be like previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

re-watched Leinster Munster 2009 and Leinster Northampton 2011 at the weekend. RK missed both games.

Great memories.

Yeah I watched that too. I forgot how intense it was. The first twenty minutes were akin to a war. Late hits, early hits, swinging arms, offside hits and all grand from the refs point of view. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago but the game was so much more entertaining back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

There isn't a single business in the country that isn't being extremely careful with cash right now. Too much uncertainty for long term planning - It won't be like previous years.

Ulster, Munster and Connacht have all announced contract extensions and confirmed their academies for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

ThLike you I'm glad to see the move to five years as the likes of the IRFU and SRU had completely broken the spirit of the rule.

I think that is unnecessarily harsh. It is hard to find any Tier 1 team, bar SA, who has not abused this rule. Moving players overseas as schoolkids is no less an abuse than what happened with James Lowe, CJ, Bundee, Payne etc.

I'm delighted to see the increase in residency to 5 years, but the scholarships will continue to be offered and the South Sea islands will continue to lose players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He is going to walk into the starting 15 and I'm personally fine with it. I'm glad the rule has changed to 5 years. I think 5 years is a reasonable period of time and limits future selections to players who have spent a substantial amount of time within the community. He'll be the last player through on the 3 year rule so I hope there isn't a lot of teeth gnashing when he inevitably starts a tier 1 fixture.

I think he's a good shout at walking into the Lions test team too. He's just a cut above any other back 3 player in the home nations imo.

Ulster, Munster and Connacht have all announced contract extensions and confirmed their academies for next season.

Ok so there are three businesses...!

I can't explain why the delay with Leinster so, but again it's not normal rules at the moment so I haven't been expecting much of anything either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

KaneToad wrote: »
    To this day it still amazes me that Bent played for Ireland before playing for Leinster.

It’s a yes and no answer for me, he certainly hadn’t close to earned a cap but that wasn’t his fault, Ireland were stuck for decent TH cover and he came along, I personally think he’s been one of Leinster’s best overseas signings overall but him getting capped then says more about the Irish setup at that stage than anything else.

Leinster's 30's brigade

Scott Fardy(36) - contract was due to end in June 2020.
    Johnny Sexton(35) - centrally contracted until June 2021
    Michael Bent(34) - contract was due to end in June 2020.
    Sean Cronin(34) - contract was due to end in June 2020.
    Devin Toner(34) - central contract was due to end in June 2020.
    Rob Kearney(34) - expected to depart at the end of the season.
    Fergus McFadden(34) - finishing at the end of the season.
    Cian Healy(32) - centrally contracted until June 2021
    Dave Kearney(31) - signed contract last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Unfortunately I think Fardy will be released.
    In any other circumstances he would be signed for one more year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think he's a good shout at walking into the Lions test team too. He's just a cut above any other back 3 player in the home nations imo.

I wouldn't quite go that far, but he does strike me as the kinda player Gatland would like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

salmocab wrote: »
    It’s a yes and no answer for me, he certainly hadn’t close to earned a cap but that wasn’t his fault, Ireland were stuck for decent TH cover and he came along, I personally think he’s been one of Leinster’s best overseas signings overall but him getting capped then says more about the Irish setup at that stage than anything else.

Wasn't that the November internationals? wasnt it the following 6 natiosn we ended up with POM on the wing v Italy? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

ongarite wrote: »

I hope we can come to an arrangement to have him stay until the season is completed. He'll be vital for the Munster double header coming up and a potential league final. But I'd money is as tight as we think then he probably won't be able to stay. Great opportunity for Baird though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,616 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

ongarite wrote: »

It's possible contracts were signed 4 or 5 months ago and just not announced yet too. Leinster losing 5 players as it is. 10 international games next season followed by a Lions tour. Iremand internationals will be playing even less pro14 games

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Iremand internationals

meme_2.jpg

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    It's possible contracts were signed 4 or 5 months ago and just not announced yet too. Leinster losing 5 players as it is. 10 international games next season followed by a Lions tour. Iremand internationals will be playing even less pro14 games

Mick Dawson said contracts for the squad for next season were all sorted pre pandemic. why they haven't announced it yet, well who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The entire squad is in negotiations about a sizeable pay cut. Announcing anything about contracts is probably premature.

The entire squad is in negotiations about a sizeable pay cut. Announcing anything about contracts is probably premature.

hasnt stopped the other provinces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

hasnt stopped the other provinces.

You seem to be taking it very personally. It doesn't really matter that much.

You seem to be taking it very personally. It doesn't really matter that much.

why bother at all with updates for fans and having a social media presence if it all ultimately doesnt really matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Clegg wrote: »
    I hope we can come to an arrangement to have him stay until the season is completed. He'll be vital for the Munster double header coming up and a potential league final. But I'd money is as tight as we think then he probably won't be able to stay. Great opportunity for Baird though.

I saw Fardy out walking on Saturday so he’s still around anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There's pics of Leinster's first training session back. Sexton looks like he's put on a stone in muscle.

Edit. That's the one.

1905417.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Sexton was always deceptively big. He looks lean on the pitch because of his height and a bit of a funny shape but he's a big enough bloke. He doesn't execute all those choke tackles or smash someone like Carl Fearns purely on technique. I remember there were traning photos on the Lions tour where he looked like a tank.

Image halfway down this page: https://www.the42.ie/lions-2017-ireland-984157-Jul2013/

Leinster Senior squad until end of September:

LH Prop(4)

Cian Healy(32)
    Ed Byrne(26)
    Peter Dooley(26)
    Michael Milne(21)

TH Prop(4)
    Michael Bent(34)
    Tadhg Furlong(27)
    Andrew Porter(24)
    Vakh Abdaladze(24)

Hooker(4)
    Sean Cronin(34)
    James Tracy(29)
    Ronan Kelleher(22)
    Dan Sheehan(21)

Lock(6)
    Scott Fardy(36)
    Devin Toner(34)
    Ross Molony(26)
    James Ryan(24)
    Jack Dunne(21)
    Ryan Baird(21)

Backrow(9)
    Rhys Ruddock(29)
    Jack Conan(28)
    Josh Van Der Flier(27)
    Dan Leavy(26)
    Josh Murphy(25)
    Will Connors(24)
    Max Deegan(23)
    Caelan Doris(24)
    Scott Penny(20)

Scrumhalf(4)
    Jamie Gibson Park(28) - currently in NZ
    Luke McGrath(27)
    Rowan Osborne(23)
    Hugh O'Sullivan(22)

Outhalf(4)
    Jonathan Sexton(35)
    Ross Byrne(25)
    Ciaran Frawley(22)
    Harry Byrne(21)

Centre(7)
    Robbie Henshaw(27)
    Rory O'Loughlin(26)
    Garry Ringrose(25)
    Conor O'Brien(24)
    Jimmy O'Brien(23)
    Gavin Mullin(22)
    Tommy O'Brien(22)

Back Three(9)
    Rob Kearney(34)
    Fergus McFadden(34)
    Dave Kearney(31)
    James Lowe(28) - currently in NZ
    Barry Daly(27)
    Adam Byrne(26)
    Cian Kelleher(26)
    Hugo Keenan(24)
    Jordan Larmour(23)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Is that official?

Tomane gone. Sheehan, Dunne, Byrne, Baird, Tommy O'Brien, Mullin, and Milne promoted.

All else the same, I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Buer wrote: »
    Is that official?

I don't think so. They've announced nothing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Buer wrote: »
    Sexton was always deceptively big. He looks lean on the pitch because of his height and a bit of a funny shape but he's a big enough bloke.

yeah Sexton is a lot bigger in real life - some dodgy looking bleached haircuts - cut it Josh !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I remember getting a flight to Paris just after Christmas in 2009 and Healy and his other half were getting the same flight.

And even then he was built like another species! Massive!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement