Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Scott Fardy is way more valuable to the team than Barry Daly is.

whilst i am a fan and im sorry to see him go, he is readily replaceable. Fardy, for everything he brings, is absolutely not.

and at 36 when the next game starts, theres no way on earth hes reaping in a half a million in salary from leinster for a one year extension

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

You'd question Adam Byrne staying. Shafted this season really, would be better off moving on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Daly's no real loss at all. A solid player, 27.

You'd question Adam Byrne staying as well. Shafted this season really, would be better off moving on.

Not sure how he was shafted, he got starts in the team and wasn't performing aswell as his competition.

Has backed himself by staying at Leinster that he can return to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Interested to see if TOB focuses on wing more this upcoming season.

In the limited games this season I was very pleased to see how physical Tommy was willing to be. Obviously not in the same calibre of COB or Tomane but was more than happy to truck it into heavy traffic and prospered considering his relatively diminutive size compared to the 12's we've tended to line out recently.

I'd like to see more of him at centre.

Given we will be without our first choice pairing for the usual chunk of the season I think there is a good few more minutes available for him there

In the limited games this season I was very pleased to see how physical Tommy was willing to be. Obviously not in the same calibre of COB or Tomane but was more than happy to truck it into heavy traffic and prospered considering his relatively diminutive size compared to the 12's we've tended to line out recently.

Given we will be without our first choice pairing for the usual chunk of the season I think there is a good few more minutes available for him there

Think he is too lightweight for centre at the highest level personally.

• Advertisement

You'd question Adam Byrne staying. Shafted this season really, would be better off moving on.

If he thought that wouldn't he have gone? Free will does exist you know.

Maybe he wanted to but had no offers tabled because of the current climate?

Maybe he had no offers elsewhere any way?

Maybe he - like many high performance athletes - fully backs himself to prove himself next season?

Despite your insinuation that he's out of favour by the coaches, he will get picked if he shows he's the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Dowling signed for Connacht, it was announced about a month ago. We knew he was leaving.

He definitely is on the lighter side. It's why I was surprised at how physical he could be at 12.

Time will tell. He has great pace and seems to have the adequate top 2"

Might well prosper on the wing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

If he thought that wouldn't he have gone? Free will does exist you know.

Maybe he wanted to but had no offers tabled because of the current climate?

Maybe he had no offers elsewhere?

Maybe he - like many high performance athletes - fully backs himself to prove himself next season?

Despite your insinuation that he's out of favour by the coaches, he will get picked if he shows he's the best option

its pretty clear he's out of favour, he played what eight pro 14 games, even went to the A's and played AIL for UCD.

Yeah fair play to him like, I suppose with the players leaving he'll have more gametime.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Has he really been shafted? It's not like Leinster have been performing poorly...

• Advertisement

By the looks of things Sexton is moving to 12 this season so will be grand!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone seen a link to the virtual town hall at 5.30pm with Micky D ? Registered but no email yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Anyone seen a link to the virtual town hall at 5.30pm with Micky D ? Registered but no email yet.

Yeah, an email went out earlier today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Fardy has only missed games when his child was born. I can't recall him being out injured at all

There is ( potentially) 10 internationals between 2020 6n, Autumn Internationals and the 2021 6n. There is also the tail end of last season to finish and an entire new season. Leinster will need every player they can get because there will be no signings by the looks of it and a long list leaving ahead of what will be a 10 month season with very few breaks in there.

Daly has decided to pursue other non rugby opportunities in America by all accounts. Although why he wants to go to that cesspit is beyond me.

Given the unprecedented fixture situation I wouldn't have been against a temporary deal for Fardy like McFadden and Kearney got. It's possibly likely that Dowling would have been retained if Fardy hadn't, so it's not a case of there not being enough bodies.

Ryan, Toner and Baird to me is a triumvirate that's more than good enough for the European XXIII, and Molony and Baird, with Dunne benching is excellent quality for the league. Even if all three of Ryan, Toner and Baird were away with Ireland it'd still leave Molony and Dunne as starting locks for Leinster, with Dowling (if he'd been retained) or Charlie Ryan on the bench.

I think the Fardy extension is unnecessary and potentially harmful. There's a very Munster-y feel to it. I don't think the IRFU should have greenlit it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

its pretty clear he's out of favour, he played what eight pro 14 games, even went to the A's and played AIL for UCD.

Yeah fair play to him like, I suppose with the players leaving he'll have more gametime.

Robert Baloucoune played AIL for Hinch this year as well and he got right back into the Ulster team. Doesn’t mean you’ll stay out of favour.

I honestly was surprised with Byrne falling down the pecking order. I thought he played well when called upon and seemed to have a bit of spark back.

Problem for him is that his defence is far too inconsistent, more often poor than good.

Given the unprecedented fixture situation I wouldn't have been against a temporary deal for Fardy like McFadden and Kearney got. It's possibly likely that Dowling would have been retained if Fardy hadn't, so it's not a case of there not being enough bodies.

Ryan, Toner and Baird to me is a triumvirate that's more than good enough for the European XXIII, and Molony and Baird, with Dunne benching is excellent quality for the league. Even if all three of Ryan, Toner and Baird were away with Ireland it'd still leave Molony and Dunne as starting locks for Leinster, with Dowling (if he'd been retained) or Charlie Ryan on the bench.

I think the Fardy extension is unnecessary and potentially harmful. There's a very Munster-y feel to it. I don't think the IRFU should have greenlit it.

Mate. There is absolutely no way Dowling going and Fardy staying are related lol.

I know you like reaching but that's a bit much. Dowling in his 3 years showed he is an honest player but nowhere near the level that Leinster need.

Once Charlie Ryan gets some size on him he will be showing much more than Dowling.

This is one of the stranger reaches you've had on your xenophobic crusade.

Dowling was going whether or not Fardy was staying.

FWIW. Josh Murphy is a better second row than him and a better blindside than him.

Rhys Ruddock also probably would offer more in the row. You don't need to like "dem foreigners" but they don't block as many opportunities as you seem to think

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yeah, an email went out earlier today

Got it now, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,616 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

5 internationals in autumn
    5 in spring

That's about 14-16 weeks where Ryan and possibly toner won't be around. Coupled with potentially 3 or 4 backrows also likely to be away And then throw in an injury or 2.

Just because you think a player is good enough now for the highest level of club rugby doesnt mean multiple title winning coaches do

Mate. There is absolutely no way Dowling going and Fardy staying are related lol.

I know you like reaching but that's a bit much. Dowling in his 3 years showed he is an honest player but nowhere near the level that Leinster need.

Once Charlie Ryan gets some size on him he will be showing much more than Dowling.

This is one of the stranger reaches you've had on your xenophobic crusade.

Dowling was going whether or not Fardy was staying.

FWIW. Josh Murphy is a better second row than him and a better blindside than him.

Rhys Ruddock also probably would offer more in the row. You don't need to like "dem foreigners" but they don't block as many opportunities as you seem to think

Leinster have six senior second rows signed up for next season - Ryan, Toner, Fardy, Baird, Molony and Dunne. Take one of them away and of course keeping Dowling on becomes a more attractive option.

I agree that Charlie Ryan is likely to ultimately become a better lock (Dowling might be more suited to blindside in the long run) but Leinster still would need a certain number of options for the here and now.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    5 internationals in autumn
    5 in spring

That's about 14-16 weeks where Ryan and possibly toner won't be around. Coupled with potentially 3 or 4 backrows also likely to be away And then throw in an injury or 2.

Just because you think a player is good enough now for the highest level of club rugby doesnt mean multiple title winning coaches do

The Fardy deal was likely done before this fixture backlog was known about, so that didn't come into the thinking at all when they decided to extend his contract.

As I said, I think Molony, Dunne, Dowling, Charlie Ryan and Brian Deeny would have been a good enough group for when internationals are away - I think Baird might actually be away to some extent as well as Ryan and Toner. Leinster have been running away with their conference and hammering teams in the league, let's not forget. They weren't just squeaking home in games. So, in that context, it doesn't look as if they'd suddenly start losing games if they had to rely on the non-internationals for a bit.

Baird was in the last Ireland squad as a full member (rather than just the apprentice player he'd been when he was initially called up). Do you think provinces should see Ireland squad players as not good enough for their top XXIII? Because I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

And what about Chris Cosgrave? You rate him and he’s a little whippet

There were stars coming out of school in the 90’s not rated as highly as you rate Cosgrave but at least they had a bit of bite about their game and put their head where it hurts like Gordon Darcy did.

He didn’t let the hype affect his game and put Himself in injury threatening Positions and tackles in Leinster games when he was 19. Any sign of a big unit coming down his channel and Cosgrave does his best impression of a turnstile or sidesteps the contact.

There’s more to hyping up players - they need a bit of bottle as well as skill

Not so sure about Cosgrave being shy of contact but yes, I think Cosgrave will end up in the back three as a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Not so sure about Cosgrave being shy of contact but yes, I think Cosgrave will end up in the back three as a professional.

And his size?

Work rate???? If he’s not willing to do the weights at school will he cut it in pro rugby?

Granny15 wrote: »
    And his size?

Work rate???? If he’s not willing to do the weights at school will he cut it in pro rugby?

Well he is around 6ft so his height won't be an issue, absolutely no indication that he is unwilling to put the work in required in the gym to be a professional rugby player.

Like many current backs in the leinster squad coming out of school he needs to a few years of academy level S & C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Anyone know what happened to Paterson? Is he still contracted? Liked the look of him.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to Paterson? Is he still contracted? Liked the look of him.

was in Y2 of the academy, so presumably being retained in academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

was in Y2 of the academy, so presumably being retained in academy.

Cheers. Thought he was full contract. That explains it. Like the look of him.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Cheers. Thought he was full contract. That explains it. Like the look of him.

i'd say he is under pressure to get a senior contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Granny15 wrote: »
    And what about Chris Cosgrave? You rate him and he’s a little whippet

There were stars coming out of school in the 90’s not rated as highly as you rate Cosgrave but at least they had a bit of bite about their game and put their head where it hurts like Gordon Darcy did.

He didn’t let the hype affect his game and put Himself in injury threatening Positions and tackles in Leinster games when he was 19. Any sign of a big unit coming down his channel and Cosgrave does his best impression of a turnstile or sidesteps the contact.

There’s more to hyping up players - they need a bit of bottle as well as skill

What a sad post in many ways

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The Fardy deal was likely done before this fixture backlog was known about, so that didn't come into the thinking at all when they decided to extend his contract.

As I said, I think Molony, Dunne, Dowling, Charlie Ryan and Brian Deeny would have been a good enough group for when internationals are away - I think Baird might actually be away to some extent as well as Ryan and Toner. Leinster have been running away with their conference and hammering teams in the league, let's not forget. They weren't just squeaking home in games. So, in that context, it doesn't look as if they'd suddenly start losing games if they had to rely on the non-internationals for a bit.

Baird was in the last Ireland squad as a full member (rather than just the apprentice player he'd been when he was initially called up). Do you think provinces should see Ireland squad players as not good enough for their top XXIII? Because I don't.

That’s your opinion and your entitled to it

But you did post recently saying to drop henshaw out of the Leinster team and match day squad didn’t you? In favour of COB who hasnt got near international squad?

So which is it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement