Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

No, that's not the case. I'm making no absolute statements. I'm purely talking about probabilities. With Fardy on board you're looking at (I personally would have Murphy ahead of Ruddock and Connors ahead of van der Flier, but we'll leave that argument aside for now):

1st choice:
    4. Ryan, 5. Toner, 6. Ruddock, 7. Leavy, 8. Doris; 19. Fardy, 20. Deegan

2nd choice:
    4. Baird, 5. Molony, 6. Murphy, 7. van der Flier, 8. Conan; 19. Dunne, 20. Connors

3rd choice:
    4. Charlie Ryan, 5. Oisin Dowling/Brian Deeny, 6. Martin Moloney/Oisin Dowling, 7. Penny, 8. Sean O'Brien?: 19. Brian Deeny/Alex Soroka, 20. Martin Moloney/Mark Hernan?

In the scenario Fardy left, you're looking at:

1st choice:
    4. Ryan, 5. Toner, 6. Ruddock, 7. Leavy, 8. Doris; 19. Baird, 20. Deegan

2nd choice:
    4. Dunne, 5. Molony, 6. Murphy, 7. van der Flier, 8. Conan; 19. Dowling, 20. Connors

3rd choice:
    4. Charlie Ryan, 5. Brian Deeny, 6. Martin Moloney, 7. Penny, 8. Sean O'Brien: 19. Alex Soroka, 20. Mark Hernan?

i.e. Dowling moves up the pecking order and into the 2nd choice XXIII. He'd have been a good fit for the bench role with his versatility. If you don't think a player being higher up the packing order improves his chances of being kept on then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Possibly. But Murphy will also be needed at blindside quite a lot.

They wouldn't all start ahead of him. He replaced the injured Murphy away to Glasgow when Penny was also on the bench and could have been brought on instead. And has van der Flier ever played blindside? Don't think so. Why am I lamenting it? Because he's a 22-23 year old player with a long term future rather than a 36 yo with one year left who isn't even really needed. Giving him a one-year dev deal and more gametime would have allowed a proper decision be made about his potential.

But what about T’eo?

Looks like James Lowe had signed for another 3 years according to his instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I am ok with this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,616 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

https://twitter.com/JamesLowe_03/status/1277495654562947072?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That’s great news altogether. 3 years sounds like the World Cup cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Fantastic player,

Great news for Leinster and Ireland.

Luke Fitz is going to lose his mind though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'm delighted it's 3 years and also a bit surprised.

His original 3 year deal brought him to the stage of him being IQ which makes sense.

Have we issued any 3 years deals to IQ players before? I know it's the standard length of a central but.

Absolutely no complaints from me and it's probably geared towards stability for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

I'm delighted it's 3 years and also a bit surprised.

His original 3 year deal brought him to the stage of him being IQ which makes sense.

Have we issued any 3 years deals to IQ players before? I know it's the standard length of a central but.

Absolutely no complaints from me and it's probably geared towards stability for him

James Ryan signed a 3 year deal out of academy.

I'd say Lowe got a pretty good deal out of Leinster and I wouldn't be surprised if he moves onto a central before that 3 years is up.

I was getting a bit nervous with the rumours of him not returning to Ireland, delighted he's staying - total game changer for Leinster and no doubt will be for Ireland as well. We have no other back three player with his skill set.

I'd say Lowe got a pretty good deal out of Leinster and I wouldn't be surprised if he moves onto a central before that 3 years is up.

I was getting a bit nervous with the rumours of him not returning to Ireland, delighted he's staying - total game changer for Leinster and no doubt will be for Ireland as well. We have no other back three player with his skill set.

I would, he will be 30 then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Fantastic player,

Great news for Leinster and Ireland.

The icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Will lowe be irish qualified for the away 6n game against France? Be a great asset to have. In the unlikely case we got 4 tries we'd just need to stuff the Italians as per usual and we'd win the trophy on points.

Will lowe be irish qualified for the away 6n game against France? Be a great asset to have. In the unlikely case we got 4 tries we'd just need to stuff the Italians as per usual and we'd win the trophy on points.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It depends on when the match is but it's unlikely. He arrived in Dublin in mid-November 2017. The likelihood is that the match is in early November (if it takes place).

Depending on what games are arranged this November, he could make his Irish debut that month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

yerrahbah wrote: »

James Lowe going ahead of Luke Fitz's try tally for Ireland in just his second match is what will really make his head explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    James Lowe going ahead of Luke Fitz's try tally for Ireland in just his second match is what will really make his head explode.
    Most players get ahead of Luke' try tally........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,676 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Not a big fan of the Residency rule - I know everyone else is doing it, doesnt make it right to me - but Lowe is a super footballer and a perfect if not better replacement for a great Irish servant Keith Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Those rumours were always a load of nonsense. They were based purely off him being in New Zealand, he goes back fairly often anyway nevermind during a global pandemic where his home country is also the safest place in the world. I'm surprised we didn't have rumours of Joe and Isa leaving every 6 months if that's all it takes.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Those rumours were always a load of nonsense. They were based purely off him being in New Zealand, he goes back fairly often anyway nevermind during a global pandemic where his home country is also the safest place in the world. I'm surprised we didn't have rumours of Joe and Isa leaving every 6 months if that's all it takes.

He seems to be very close to his dad. His family seem to come over to Ireland a lot as well

It just showed how slow sport was when BS stories like this started to do the rounds. He was clear a few times that when he signed for Leinster it was to play for Ireland and to make money to make sure he was sorted long term

5 questions facing Leinster rugby going forward:

Do Leinster need to sign a NIQ LH Prop to replace Healy?
    Do Leinster need to sign a NIQ TH Lock to give more power in the pack?
    How do Leinster keep Deegan, Doris and Conan happy?
    Is this Sextons final season in blue?
    How do Leinster get a 2nd playmaker into the backline? Who is that player?

• Advertisement

Leinster could possibly do with a lock and maybe a hooker. I'm less concerned with hooker as Kelleher looks top drawer but I don't see a natural replacement for Healy at the moment.

We don't need to sign anyone at tight head.

The 8 situation is going to come down to injury a lot of the time and I could see Deegan shifting to 6 or even the second row from time to time. We may lose one of the three to another province in the near future.

Sexton is shifting to the back row via the 12 jersey so a few more years yet.

Ringrose is our second play maker and after that Larmour. Both are good instinctive distributors - Larmour in particular has plenty of try assists the last few seasons.

Do Leinster need to sign a NIQ LH Prop to replace Healy? Maybe
    Do Leinster need to sign a NIQ TH Lock to give more power in the pack? No
    How do Leinster keep Deegan, Doris and Conan happy? Give them sweeties
    Is this Sextons final season in blue? Yes
    How do Leinster get a 2nd playmaker into the backline? Who is that player? Joey Carbery

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

1. We don't know yet but hopefully not.
    2. No.
    3. They can't. Someone is going to leave eventually.
    4. I suspect not but they should make the decision for him.
    5. Do they need one? Henshaw and Ringrose aren't going anywhere. Lowe and Larmour's creativity nullifies the requirement somewhat.

1) The depth at loosehead is a small bit concerning. We really were blessed to have 2 test Lion quality players there with such a great age profile for as long as we did.

Ed Byrne and Pete Dooley have both shown themselves to be excellent players with a very good age profile but ultimately it's unknown whether they will ever be top European standard

Suggestions of moving Porter back across are good fun but ultimately I don't think it will happen. Would Tom Clarkson look to make the switch I wonder?

There does seem to be a promising stock at age grade but they'll need a few years.

2) With Dev given a one year we are presumably looking to wind him down. Start of 2021 would be a great time to look at a beefy NIQ to fill that 5 shirt. Most of our younger guys except Dunne are more suited to the looseside IMO.

3) Regarding the backrow, thankfully that is 2 years from now's problem as we locked them all in ha. But the sad fact is - we simply can't keep them happy.

They're all international standard players. They will all have European starts as a bare minimum target for their season. The other person I can see losing out on a situation like this is Rhys Ruddock but that does a disservice to him because he himself is an excellent international standard player who I think offers more than any of our other backrows for pure graft which is vital, especially on those tough winter away days.

4) I don't think this is Johnnys last season in blue (or green) I think this 6 month hiatus has been the best thing for him. When has he ever gotten a chance to get his body right over this long?

I know one picture with no context doesn't tell you everything, but look at the shape he put himself in. Doesn't speak to me of a man whose willing to finish up just yet.

5) I was encouraged to see the calibre of our younger players regarding their play making ability. The likes of Frawley, Jimmy O'Brien, Hugo Keenan are all players who offer an excellent second option outside of 10. To be honest, I can see Jimmy O'Brien becoming a much more important player in blue this season.

Obviously Ringrose offers that playmaking ability which I think is an under utilised skill of his.

Personally I don't really rate Larmour for similar. The man has many qualities. But I don't see one of them as being a play maker

Leinster could possibly do with a lock and maybe a hooker. I'm less concerned with hooker as Kelleher looks top drawer but I don't see a natural replacement for Healy at the moment.

We don't need to sign anyone at tight head.

The 8 situation is going to come down to injury a lot of the time and I could see Deegan shifting to 6 or even the second row from time to time. We may lose one of the three to another province in the near future.

Sexton is shifting to the back row via the 12 jersey so a few more years yet.

Ringrose is our second play maker and after that Larmour. Both are good instinctive distributors - Larmour in particular has plenty of try assists the last few seasons.

Sheehan appears to be very highly thought of also. Can't see hooker happening.

Deegan in the 2nd row, can't see that myself.

Not sure about Larmour as a natural distributor either.

Buer wrote: »
    1. We don't know yet but hopefully not.
    2. No.
    3. They can't. Someone is going to leave eventually.
    4. I suspect not but they should make the decision for him.
    5. Do they need one? Henshaw and Ringrose aren't going anywhere. Lowe and Larmour's creativity nullifies the requirement somewhat.

Is it necessarily one of them? Conan and Deegan look like they'll be out of contract in June 2021.

1) The depth at loosehead is a small bit concerning. We really were blessed to have 2 test Lion quality players there with such a great age profile for as long as we did.

Ed Byrne and Pete Dooley have both shown themselves to be excellent players with a very good age profile but ultimately it's unknown whether they will ever be top European standard

Suggestions of moving Porter back across are good fun but ultimately I don't think it will happen. Would Tom Clarkson look to make the switch I wonder?

There does seem to be a promising stock at age grade but they'll need a few years.

I guess it comes down to how long you think Healy has left? 2 years? More.. Clarkson is an interesting one, but given the depth we lost at TH and Bent's age.. he may be needed on that side.. though he is light for a TH prop at pro level.

2) With Dev given a one year we are presumably looking to wind him down. Start of 2021 would be a great time to look at a beefy NIQ to fill that 5 shirt. Most of our younger guys except Dunne are more suited to the looseside IMO.

Well Ryan has been playing 5 all this time, you'd assume he will put on a few more kgs as he ages.
    3) Regarding the backrow, thankfully that is 2 years from now's problem as we locked them all in ha. But the sad fact is - we simply can't keep them happy.

They're all international standard players. They will all have European starts as a bare minimum target for their season. The other person I can see losing out on a situation like this is Rhys Ruddock but that does a disservice to him because he himself is an excellent international standard player who I think offers more than any of our other backrows for pure graft which is vital, especially on those tough winter away days.

Ruddock probably is the most at risk in terms of his spot in europe.

4) I don't think this is Johnnys last season in blue (or green) I think this 6 month hiatus has been the best thing for him. When has he ever gotten a chance to get his body right over this long?

I know one picture with no context doesn't tell you everything, but look at the shape he put himself in. Doesn't speak to me of a man whose willing to finish up just yet.

He may not be willing, more neither is RK. Time waits for no man. Certainly will be an interesting negotiation to come.

5) I was encouraged to see the calibre of our younger players regarding their play making ability. The likes of Frawley, Jimmy O'Brien, Hugo Keenan are all players who offer an excellent second option outside of 10. To be honest, I can see Jimmy O'Brien becoming a much more important player in blue this season.

Obviously Ringrose offers that playmaking ability which I think is an under utilised skill of his.

Personally I don't really rate Larmour for similar. The man has many qualities. But I don't see one of them as being a play maker

replies bolded.

replies bolded.

Oh with regards to Ryan he was a given at tightside and rightly so.

I was more referring to the players we wouldn't be losing to international duty which are the windows where a good NIQ is most valuable

Oh with regards to Ryan he was a given at tightside and rightly so.

I was more referring to the players we wouldn't be losing to international duty which are the windows where a good NIQ is most valuable

Ah yes, I think they'll give Dunne and CRyan every chance to fill that position along with Toner probably sticking around beyond this upcoming season.

Dunne is at 115kg as a 21 year old and CRyan doesn't look far behind him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I admit that I was spreading those rumours with absolutely no evidence to back them up. It was to punish you for being mean to Thomond 😆

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement