Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

stephen_n wrote: »
    So Richie was right and Connors starts ahead of VDF. Interesting to see Keenan get the nod ahead of O’loughlin too.

Don't think ROL has had a start on the wing for a couple seasons now has he? Surprised Kelleher didn't get the nod over Keenan to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Someone comes across poorly out of this story but hard to know who.

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It seems clear to me that Nucifora needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

awec wrote: »

Why? Because he has the best interests of all four provinces in mind instead of just the Blue East?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

awec wrote: »

Ulster wouldn't have a team without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Can we just admit that letting go of Pienaar was the right move? The Cooney of the last few seasons is better than Pienaar is his final years at Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Why? Because he has the best interests of all four provinces in mind instead of just the Blue East?

You phrase it like players don't have a say. If young players are being essentially forced towards clubs they don't want to go, there's something slightly uneasy about that. Players have family, friends and a life and if they're being leaned on to go elsewhere when they don't really want to, it's not a great look.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

You phrase it like players don't have a say. If young players are being essentially forced towards clubs they don't want to go, there's something slightly uneasy about that. Players have family, friends and a life and if they're being leaned on to go elsewhere when they don't really want to, it's not a great look.
    And people are talking as if they have to move halfway across the world and not 2/3 hours drive away.

And people are talking as if they have to move halfway across the world and not 2/3 hours drive away.

That's irrelevant. Sure, it's better than halfway across the world but most people wouldn't commute across the country (2/3 hours or otherwise) so it still requires significant relocation so that argument doesn't hold for 21/22 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Exactly. It cracks me up. Some of these lads need to cut the apron strings and move away from mummy and daddy. Thousands of people do it every year for university and work yet some people seem to think it is cruel and usual punishment for a professional rugby player.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Exactly. It cracks me up. Some of these lads need to cut the apron strings and move away from mummy and daddy. Thousands of people do it every year for university and work yet some people seem to think it is cruel and usual punishment for a professional rugby player.

This guy already relocated from Hawaii four years ago (ya know, half way across the world) when he was 18 to Dublin, has settled over four years and is being shuttled off somewhere else now when he apparently didn't want to. He's not livestock that can be shifted around at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

KH25 wrote: »

Wonder was this before or after he supposedly turned down a move to Connacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

This guy already relocated from Hawaii four years ago (ya know, half way across the world) when he was 18 to Dublin, has settled over four years and is being shuttled off somewhere else now when he apparently didn't want to. He's not livestock that can be shifted around at will.

Sorry just no.

Professional sports is cruel. If you want to make it you need to be willing to play where you can.

If your partner plays professional sports you need to be willing to relocate or do it long distance.

In Ireland it happens to be the case that a lot of people can play close to home. This is pretty unique.

Don't cry beal bocht for a player who gets to play sport for a living because they need to relocate. These are the sacrifices. One of the many required to succeed in any sport at the highest level.

Using Salanoa as an example. His goal before picking up rugby would have been college football. He would have taken any offer he can get. It might have been some random school in the middle of mississippi.

And then possibly he succeeds and goes to the NFL. Where he get's drafted with absolutely no say where he ends up. But with the chance to live out his dream.

And you think moving to Limerick is hard?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Players having a say works both ways.

Sorry just no.

Professional sports is cruel. If you want to make it you need to be willing to play where you can.

If your partner plays professional sports you need to be willing to relocate or do it long distance.

In Ireland it happens to be the case that a lot of people can play close to home. This is pretty unique.

Don't cry beal bocht for a player who gets to play sport for a living because they need to relocate. These are the sacrifices. One of the many required to succeed in any sport at the highest level.

That's a lovely little speech that would sound great in a film.

Doesn't change my opinion that forcing younger players around the country against their will and their clubs will is not a good look. Particularly when they've already moved half way across the world when still a teenager. I didn't say it was outrageous or should never happen, just that it's not a good look.

Its not one extreme or the other and nobody is crying but utter indifference to what he wants is pathetic and shouldn't be encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Using Salanoa as an example. His goal before picking up rugby would have been college football. He would have taken any offer he can get. It might have been some random school in the middle of mississippi.

He did relocate - to Ireland.
    He fought his way up with Leinster and seemingly they wanted to keep him. He had done the sacrifice bit and gotten what he wanted.

Nobody is crying for him, but if this account is true, we can certainly question moving him to a different team and different professional environment if he wanted to stay and Leinster wanted to keep him

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

None of us know how any of that played out. We dont know whether he felt like he was being pushed south. I dont think Leos language is particularly appropriate there. He can answer that without really brining the issue into the public sphere. Losing Salanoa did leave us stuck, do saying that is fine. But leave it at that.

All that said, I totally get the frustration. Putting that time and effort into a guy from half way around the world, understanding that he was staying put and then having the rug pulled out from under you at the 11th hour is bound to cause that. The IRFU orchestrating that move, that late in the day, and leaving the province that they rely on the most stuck is itself poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

That's a lovely little speech that would sound great in a film.

Doesn't change my opinion that forcing younger players around the country against their will and their clubs will is not a good look. Particularly when they've already moved half way across the world when still a teenager. I didn't say it was outrageous or should never happen, just that it's not a good look.

Its not one extreme or the other and nobody is crying but utter indifference to what he wants is pathetic and shouldn't be encouraged.

Who forced him against his will?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

yerrahbah wrote: »

To quote Leo: "I can’t say what sort of pressure he was being put under in the background. You’d want to ask him himself”

• Advertisement

To quote Leo: "I can’t say what sort of pressure he was being put under in the background. You’d want to ask him himself”

So nobody is saying it. Leo is suggesting it. Which he should not be doing as it isnt his place to talk on Salanoas behalf. None of us can verify in any way whether Leo is talking from a position of knowledge on this or just stirring it.

Awec won’t be happy til we got full Leinster dominance for a decade. It’s sickening.

molloyjh wrote: »
    So nobody is saying it. Leo is suggesting it. Which he should not be doing as it isnt his place to talk on Salanoas behalf. None of us can verify in any way whether Leo is talking from a position of knowledge on this or just stirring it.

It's probably as far as Leo can go without saying it in fairness. I don't see what Leo would get from stirring it without some truth behind it and he could be very quickly found out.

But it is fair that without a direct account from Salanoa, it's hearsay and rumour.

yerrahbah wrote: »

There is discussions about what’s best for the player and there is undue pressure. Ultimately none of us will ever know where it really landed.

I Would take exception to the idea that everyone is moving entirely out of “free will” though. There is a difference between an opportunity elsewhere and feeling like you are being forced somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

Roman mentions being forced here. Forced to grow because he’s from the countryside and Dublin was a big change that is. Also, Limerick confirmed as being more like Hawaii than Dublin. Not really a surprise, the surf in Clare is much better than that in Louth.

https://youtu.be/XqisZyOn1g0

Also, wasn’t Leo putting pressure on Casey by offering him a senior contract to move?? Pressure on Munster to offer the same contract, but also on the player to make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's probably as far as Leo can go without saying it in fairness. I don't see what Leo would get from stirring it without some truth behind it and he could be very quickly found out.

But it is fair that without a direct account from Salanoa, it's hearsay and rumour.

You can’t see what Leo, the head coach of Leinster, would get from putting players who leave Leinster under a little pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not the first time Leo's made comments either. Said Munster were promising more than they could deliver to Nick McCarthy - he was right too, he's never made it above 3rd choice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I like how the fact that the IRFU were keen for him to move to Connacht, but he didnt fancy it and he choose to stay in Leinster, is being skipped over. He clearly wasn't being forced to go anywhere.

Then the Munster opportunity arose (perhaps at the suggestion of the IRFU) and he liked that prospect so choose to go to Munster.

Some people really need to just get it through their heads that heaven forbid a player wouldnt want to sit in the stands of the RDS and be grateful to just get to watch Leinster compete in the big games.

Just like Carbery made a choice.
    Just Like Henshaw made a choice.

Solonoa made a choice. He's a big boy. Get over it.

A comment that leads me to suspect that you very seldom manage to complete the Crosaire!

Oh that really hurt SS. I dont know how I'm going to sleep tonight.

Maybe reign in the petty abuse of people there. You won't last long here otherwise. Most of us are grown ups, and act like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

If he wants a job as a pro rugby player in Ireland, he goes where his employers need him. If he was playing American football he could have gone to somewhere else in the States for 4 years of college and then been drafted to another part of the country and then traded half a dozen times. Moving for college and then moving after college for work is actually quite common.

FFS he is in his early 20s. He will adapt. There are guys moving their wives and kids around the world in the pursuit of their rugby career. Moving a few hours down the road is no biggie.

Edit: I see arsebiscuits beat me to the NFL comparison.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement