Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    heaven forbid a player wouldnt want to sit in the stands of the RDS and be grateful to just get to watch Leinster compete in the big games.

Yeah but those navy jumpers and Blueshirts look so smart, nobody would willingly give those up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

You can’t see what Leo, the head coach of Leinster, would get from putting players who leave Leinster under a little pressure?

Sorry I meant more so what he would get from it personally within the IRFU rather than on players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I would be surprised if there was any pressure on Salanoa to move to Munster. They already have Ryan, Archer and Knox so it's not like they needed cover urgently and it's not like it impacts the national team either.

So why would IRFU really be bothered?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

molloyjh wrote: »
    Oh that really hurt SS. I dont know how I'm going to sleep tonight.

Maybe reign in the petty abuse of people there. You won't last long here otherwise. Most of us are grown ups, and act like it.

I totally can’t do the Crosaire though.

I would be surprised if there was any pressure on Salanoa to move to Munster. They already have Ryan, Archer and Knox so it's not like they needed cover urgently and it's not like it impacts the national team either.

So why would IRFU really be bothered?

Yeah seems below their level of interest really. More likely a solely Munster move and a better offer.

Ultimately people will always just get annoyed because having produced 3 of the last THs to really make an impression at international level, Leinster are now struggling to field a decent complement of them.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Yeah seems below their level of interest really. More likely a solely Munster move and a better offer.

Ultimately people will always just get annoyed because having produced 3 of the last THs to really make an impression at international level, Leinster are now struggling to field a decent complement of them.

3?

Are you trying to claim Mike Ross, who signed for Leinster when he was 29?

awec wrote: »
    3?

Are you trying to claim Mike Ross, who signed for Leinster when he was 29?

Porter
    Furlong
    Bent

Your move.

I was claiming Moore. He was on the bench for 2 6N championship wins after all...

Maybe a bit of a stretch.

Porter
    Furlong
    Bent

Your move.

Bent! :D

When did he make an impression for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Bent! :D

When did he make an impression for Ireland?

First scrum he packed down in

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I was claiming Moore. He was on the bench for 2 6N championship wins after all...

Maybe a bit of a stretch.

I'd say be careful you don't pull something Podge.

I'd say be careful you don't pull something Podge.

10 caps. 8 wins. 2 championships. Quite the impression :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Eir Sport have announced the semi final will be streamed live on their Facebook page for free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Sorry I meant more so what he would get from it personally within the IRFU rather than on players.

Your stance that Salanoa was pressured to move is, as someone else pointed out, kind of debunked by the fact that the IRFU wanted him to move to Connacht but he decided against it, and then later decided that he wanted to move to Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

b.gud wrote: »
    Your stance that Salanoa was pressured to move is, as someone else pointed out, kind of debunked by the fact that the IRFU wanted him to move to Connacht but he decided against it, and then later decided that he wanted to move to Munster.

I think its fairly well accepted that the IRFU encouraged Salanoa to move. The discussion is over whether he was pressurised to or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭PMC83

Eir saying they will be streaming the game live tomorrow on their facebook page. Bit of decency from them there tbf.

Salanoa has a great story. He doesn't really owe Leinster anything, we took a chance on him and it's worked out and I'm largely happy once he stays within the provincial system. He's quite an athlete and I think the IRFU put pressure on him based more on his potential talent cap than any specific need in Munster. The IRFU clearly felt he'd get more exposure to test level rugby with the move so they recommended and promoted that move which it is within their remit to do.

Leo has a point too - but I think his comments could be seen to question Salanoa's integrity and for that reason alone I think he should have tapered back a bit. Salanoa is young and inexperienced and there is no way he fully understands the nuance of inter provincial Irish rugby, especially when the main body for the sport is pushing him.

Not ideal that we're having to recruit a tighthead, but this looks like a signing that is going to have it's main impact in scrum training. Salanoa could be a serious international option and a place in the first choice Munster front row is much more accessible for him.

There are plenty of reasons why it's a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

This is gas. Images of Nucifora driving around Dublin in a nondescript van throwing a bag over lad's heads and firing them in the back spring to mind.

The IRFU should simultaneously take more and less involvement in player movement depending on whether it suits or not apparently :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Not ideal that we're having to recruit a tighthead, but this looks like a signing that is going to have it's main impact in scrum training. Salanoa could be a serious international option and a place in the first choice Munster front row is much more accessible for him.

There are plenty of reasons why it's a good move.

To be fair. Leinster have been good at getting props in from the AIL on a temporary basis over the past few years. We got in Adam Coyle recently enough and Royce Burke Flynn a few years before that.

With respect to Parker, it is a road Leinster probably would have explored if the AIL lads hadn't been a bit undercooked with the lack of competitive rugby and training the last few months

Bazzo wrote: »
    This is gas. Images of Nucifora driving around Dublin in a nondescript van throwing a bag over lad's heads and firing them in the back spring to mind.

The IRFU should simultaneously take more and less involvement in player movement depending on whether it suits or not apparently :D

These are the images that the IRFU and the media don't want you to see.

Wake up Bazzo.

Nucifora out.

• Advertisement

I've no issue with Leinster players going to other provinces.

What annoys me is when they don't come running straight back whenever Leinster click their fingers. What's that about?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The crocodile tears from Leinster fans when they lose a player they developed to another province. Tastes of, what's what word? Oh yeah. Schadenfreude...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

I think its fairly well accepted that the IRFU encouraged Salanoa to move. The discussion is over whether he was pressurised to or not.

I get that the point I'm trying to make is that if the IRFU wanted him to go to Connacht but he said no and confirmed, even if he went back on it later, that he was going to stay with Leinster, then he obviously didn't feel too much pressure from them and was happy to say no to what they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Zzippy wrote: »
    The crocodile tears from Leinster fans when they lose a player they developed to another province. Tastes of, what's what word? Oh yeah. Schadenfreude...

There is so much wrong with this sentence but I guess the main thing is that you're enjoying yourself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Zzippy wrote: »

I have absolutely no idea what you mean Zzippy. None. Nope. None at all. :D

I have absolutely no idea what you mean Zzippy. None. Nope. None at all. :D

Sorry molloy. I promise not to use big foreign words again. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Whatever about turning down a move to Galway, I can't imagine anyone voluntarily moving from Dublin to Limerick without being forced. Completely incomprehensible.

Whatever about turning down a move to Galway, I can't imagine anyone voluntarily moving from Dublin to Limerick without being forced. Completely incomprehensible.

Leinster should just have Angela's Ashes playing on repeat in the academy gym. "See that lads, that's where Munster play, and don't let David Nucifora tell you it's not that wet!"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bit of a wobbly performance but much better second half in terms of keeping Munster at bay, with a lot more defensive pressure.

Doris was unreal though, thought Conan was a bit quiet though. Wouldn't be surprised to see Doris in the 8 shirt with Leavy at 6 and VdF at 7 when all are fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Strange old game. At times it seemed almost like a training run for our defence. We kept kicking the ball back to Munster. Our attack was pretty shaky in that second half as well. Had lots of possession and territory in the opening 20, but couldn't score.

Overall, I'm happy that we rectified our problems at the lineout and fielding box kicks. We're yet to get out of second gear and a much better performance will be required to beat Ulster or Edinburgh. Wouldn't like to face the latter if we performance to the same level as this evening. Their backs would capitalise on any loose kicking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement