Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He'll get 1 - 2 weeks. He will be playing the quarter final.

He's been suspended before for similar.

He's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

There's no way he'll be there for the Leinster game.

Saracens are still one of the best teams in the world even without Farrell though. Ultimately it's their pack that scare me, not Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Who's likely to play 10 instead of him?

I'll still believe he's banned when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

He's gone.

Goode from 15 and Daly at FB? Or young Vunipola.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

He'll get 1 - 2 weeks. He will be playing the quarter final.
    Probably will get 2 weeks reduced from 4.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,471 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Maybe manu vunipola

Probably will get 2 weeks reduced from 4.

Does that leave him eligible? Is it from the time of the offence or the time of citing?

I just don't see him missing this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Does that leave him eligible? Is it from the time of the offence or the time of citing?

No. It would be two weekends. Time of offence is irrelevant. Its two game weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

That's six weeks ban minimum, even with 50% remission he should miss the Leinster game.

Jesus that's a shocking tackle.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,471 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Surely he can't have 50% off due to his red on Dan Robson a couple of years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Contact to the head is automatically a six week entry point. There's no way around it. The maximum mitigation is 50% percent. He has a previous suspension on his record for a dangerous tackle: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/27/owen-farrell-two-game-ban-play-champions-cup-final-saracens

He'll do well to get the ban down to four weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭KH25

That’s dreadful, but it’s been coming for a good while now. He makes some atrocious tackles. That one is reminiscent of Hartley on SOB.

Yeah you are likely spot on about the length of ban, am just somewhat anticipating shenanigans from the authorities. Looks like their hands are tied.

I felt we had enough for Sarries with Farrell - I think they'll struggle against us without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Is Alex Lozowski already gone on loan or is it for next season?

Edit His twitter indicates he's already in France

Lozowski was involved last night in the Top14.

Manu Vunipola is the next man up I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

They certainly still have a formidable XV but their squad really has taken a bit of a hammering.

They certainly still have a formidable XV but their squad really has taken a bit of a hammering.

Aled Davies also went off early today for a HIA and didn't return. Wigglesworth hasn't appeared for a few weeks. Don't know his status.

They could be in some difficulty at scrum half.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

In fairness to Farrell, if refs have been letting you away with no-arms tackles for years, it's hard to adapt your technique to properly use your upper limbs in a new season.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

rdwight wrote: »
    In fairness to Farrell, if refs have been letting you away with no-arms tackles for years, it's hard to adapt your technique to properly use your upper limbs in a new season.

His problem is his League background as a kid. When he learned to tackle first, he learned league style.

Which is just about kinetic energy and not about actual technique.

Same reason SBW got into trouble.. Muscle memory kicks in and they just clatter into people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

either Vunipola or Goode at 10 then. they’ll probably play 10/15 with Goode taking some pressure off the younger player. Vunipola is a good running 10 but there is a massive gulf between him and Farrell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

So, Ulster in the final. Not sure what to think tbh. They've been poor since the restart and probably should've lost this evening too. No fluidity in their play and when they made it to Edinburgh's 22 they kept knocking on.

But it's a final where anything can happen. Ulster were playing great stuff until March so we can't discount them.cominv good again. But if we get one of Ryan it Furlong back we should hopefully have enough to win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Clegg wrote: »
    But it's a final where anything can happen. Ulster were playing great stuff until March so we can't discount them.cominv good again. But if we get one of Ryan it Furlong back we should hopefully have enough to win.

Based on the last 3 weeks I think Leinster could afford to lose several more players and have enough to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Delighted for Madigan. Wish he'd stayed with Leinster. I think he'd be closer to a green shirt, if he had...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

KaneToad wrote: »
    Delighted for Madigan. Wish he'd stayed with Leinster. I think he'd be closer to a green shirt, if he had...

He should have focused on 12. He is not a fly half.

After tonight, I think Ulster will be more tired with a 7 day turnaround than Munster were with a 5 day turnaround. Coetzee and McCloskey got through a savage amount of carrying and contact tonight.

I expect Leinster to make a couple of changes to the team again and freshen things up. I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Furlong and Ryan to be on the bench to get some pitch time ahead of Saracens. VDF could well come back into the back row and I wouldn't be surprised to see Conan drop out after a relatively quiet outing yesterday. I could see Ruddock coming in or even Fardy shifting back.

I wouldn't be shocked to even see a more surprising change like Ed Byrne and Cronin coming in and Healy/Kelleher benching. Leinster are going to have one eye on Saracens even if this is a final.

KaneToad wrote: »

He would have been in backup purgatory had he remained and missed out on paydays at Bordeaux and Bristol.

He would have been in backup purgatory had he remained and missed out on paydays at Bordeaux and Bristol.

Indeed. I doubt the lad is too sad about his time out of Ireland. He has set himself up for life now.

I'm glad to see he's actually trying to deliver though and not just phoning it int though. He's on a 1 year deal I think, so needs to hit the ground running which he has done. His general play hasn't been anything special but if you've a guy who can come into a game late on and deliver clutch moments, he's worth a contract regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Aviva is confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

degsie wrote: »
    Aviva is confirmed?

Yes next Saturday evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Buer wrote: »
    After tonight, I think Ulster will be more tired with a 7 day turnaround than Munster were with a 5 day turnaround. Coetzee and McCloskey got through a savage amount of carrying and contact tonight.

I expect Leinster to make a couple of changes to the team again and freshen things up. I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Furlong and Ryan to be on the bench to get some pitch time ahead of Saracens. VDF could well come back into the back row and I wouldn't be surprised to see Conan drop out after a relatively quiet outing yesterday. I could see Ruddock coming in or even Fardy shifting back.

I wouldn't be shocked to even see a more surprising change like Ed Byrne and Cronin coming in and Healy/Kelleher benching. Leinster are going to have one eye on Saracens even if this is a final.

I would imagine Connors is nailed on the negate Coetzee and McCloskey again. I know VDF is an excellent defender but Connors has the nudge at the moment in terms of impact in the tackle area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement