Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

stephen_n wrote: »
    I would imagine Connors is nailed on the negate Coetzee and McCloskey again. I know VDF is an excellent defender but Connors has the nudge at the moment in terms of impact in the tackle area.

If VdF is going to start against Sarries I suspect he'll start next week.

Also, is Ruddock fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If VdF is going to start against Sarries I suspect he'll start next week.

Also, is Ruddock fit?

Had an issue with his quad after the Ulster game but was deemed fit for yesterday's game. But with Doris playing out if his skin at 6 I can't see him getting back into the fold over Conan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So for next week I'd like to see:

Byrne Cronin Porter
    Baird Fardy
    Ruddock Doris VDF

JGP Byrne
    ROL Ringrose
    Lowe Kearney Keenan

Kelleher, Healy, Furlong, Ryan, Deegan, McGrath, Sexton, Henshaw

If the starting XV isn't getting the job done theres more than enough on the bench to rescue it, and we're giving guys time without overplaying them. Other guys are getting opportunities to play and make a statement ahead of further KO games. I do think that XV will be enough. Ulster are 3 games in a row ahead of the final with 1 less days recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭Buer

stephen_n wrote: »
    I would imagine Connors is nailed on the negate Coetzee and McCloskey again. I know VDF is an excellent defender but Connors has the nudge at the moment in terms of impact in the tackle area.

It's not a criticism of Connors who was very solid last night. Leinster have a history of bringing in a couple of guys in the semi final and then reverting to the first choice in the final. Carbery, Ross Byrne, Dave Kearney, Jordi Murphy, Jack McGrath etc. all have started the semi finals in the last couple of seasons when not first choice in their position and been replaced for the final. It allowed us give guys a rest and freshen the team up.

VDF literally got about 90 seconds of pitch time last night. I think that was a planned call to give Connors a lengthy run out at this point and he's unlikely to see a huge amount more time on the pitch this season.

VDF is well able to bring extreme line speed and a man marking job on those two guys and, after tonight, I think those lads are going to be a little heavy legged next week. I could well be wrong though.

Had an issue with his quad after the Ulster game but was deemed fit for yesterday's game. But with Doris playing out if his skin at 6 I can't see him getting back into the fold over Conan.

Mad not to have a player of his quality in the 23, but Doris has to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Ulster were blessed to win that, delighted, much prefer them as opposition than Embra.

• Administrators Posts: 53,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ulster were blessed to win that, delighted, much prefer them as opposition than Embra.

You're on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Guinness RFC

I’d be wary of Ulster in this final. It certainly won’t be a game like the semi against Munster where the games was played at 2miles per hour and they don’t turn up. I expect Ulster to turn up and do everything to disrupt us and niggle us.

Front row, I’m a huge Ed Byrne fan and think he’s hugely underrated. Himself and Dooley are great servants and underappreciated so I’d start Ed. I’d like to see Kelleher play. He needs minutes to build confidence and he needs to play in pressure games. Then make a decision on him or Cronin against Sarries depending on whether he performs and hits his line outs or not. Obviously could equally go with Tracy and see how he performs but I think he’s a bit lightweight for Sarries and we learn nothing by starting him and benching Kelleher.

I’d be wary of starting Baird with Fardy per Molloy above. That combination didn’t work under the pressure Munster put on them in the first game this mini season. Backrow, I would be more inclined to start Murphy at blind side and put Doris in at 8. Murphy did well first game and I think offers more than Ruddock. Depending on whether Connors starts vs. Sarries play himself or VDF. To be honest I see it as 50-50 . I think Josh shades it giving you more up to the 80th minute whereas Connors fitness isn’t as great.

Would rest most of our starting back line. Ulster don’t have the creativity to outperform our seconds players. Having Henshaw and Gary being pummelled all night by a barrelling mccloskey is pointless before sarries. Likewise I’d rest Johnny as having Coetzee pummelling him is pointless.

Kearney starting is a good call. Lowe and Keenan also. McGraths form is such that I’d drop him completely. Can’t have a passenger in a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭jacothelad

awec wrote: »
    You're on the list.

Don't give him your name Pike......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lobber

Might be discussed already! Any indication of when new Leinster training gear, tops, hoodies etc will be available. Expected to see some new stuff along with the recent jersey launch but nothing since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ryan is available. But that's probably a no on Larmour, Leavy and Furlong. Can't see the latter two being available for Saracens either.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1302937112292077568?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I'm ok with Larmour getting a rest. He will have recovered his confidence from his Munster performance. This allows RK to get a game to finish his career. Injury aside Rob wont be used in the Champions Cup run in.

Great to have Ryan back as an option. I would have him on the bench though and ease him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I'm ok with Larmour getting a rest. He will have recovered his confidence from his Munster performance. This allows RK to get a game to finish his career. Injury aside Rob wont be used in the Champions Cup run in.

Great to have Ryan back as an option. I would have him on the bench though and ease him back.

Ryan might be better for having an hour of rugby going into the Sarries match. This match is a tough one for selection as important as winning the league winning europe is far more important. It will never be said but there must be one eye firmly on Sarries

Losing Larnour is a major blow. Not only because he's a better player than Kearney at this stage, but also we'll now have to make our second change to the back three. Keenan was quite good last weekend, but Lowe, Keenan and Kearney is not an ideal back three to be fielding in a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Think I'd go for something along the lines of the following against Ulster:

1. Edward Byrne
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Andrew Porter
    4. James Ryan
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. James Lowe
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Rory O'Loughlin
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Tadhg Furlong
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Caelan Doris
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Ciarán Frawley

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭crisco10

The worst thing about Furlong's prolonged absence is Porter is being used relentlessly.

Be nice for him to get a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

crisco10 wrote: »
    The worst thing about Furlong's prolonged absence is Porter is being used relentlessly.

Be nice for him to get a break!

The coaches can pull him off at half time maybe.

Bent seems to be playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Guinness RFC

salmocab wrote: »
    Ryan might be better for having an hour of rugby going into the Sarries match. This match is a tough one for selection as important as winning the league winning europe is far more important. It will never be said but there must be one eye firmly on Sarries

I know it’s a bad time to bring it up but I foresee more shoulder issues for Ryan. He’s back too soon from dislocating it for it to be right IMO. Usually takes 4 months and he had a procedure and is back within 2 months. Seems a bit too soon in my eyes. After the first dislocation it seems fine until there is stress placed on it. We’ll see that come in the Sarries match and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him pop it then. Hope it doesn’t tho.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

*Shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Messy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,215 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Zzippy wrote: »
    *Shudder*

What? You didn't go to a CBS?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Thats not even remotely funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Think I'd go for something along the lines of the following against Ulster:

1. Edward Byrne
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Andrew Porter
    4. James Ryan
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. James Lowe
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Rory O'Loughlin
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Tadhg Furlong
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Caelan Doris
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Ciarán Frawley

It's a bit much to throw Ryan straight back in.
    Dev has played in all the games back but i would give him another spin beside Baird and start Cronin.
    Bring Ryan & Kelleher off the bench.

Hope Furlong will get a run before Saracens.

Where's this story of Frawley to Munster originated from? If it's a Facebook rumour we can discard it I suppose.

That move wouldn't make sense for either party. He's barely any more experience at 10 than any of their young flyhalfs. They've three if them in the system now. Time.to actually use them.

Clegg wrote: »
    He's barely any more experience at 10 than any of their young flyhalfs

1) So what?
    2) What young OHs? Ben Healy has 1+2 apps. JJ and Carbery are the only senior OHs in their squad

With the uncertainty around Carbery it would make complete sense for both parties, as sickening as it would be to see another talented young Leinster player down in Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I know it’s a bad time to bring it up but I foresee more shoulder issues for Ryan. He’s back too soon from dislocating it for it to be right IMO. Usually takes 4 months and he had a procedure and is back within 2 months. Seems a bit too soon in my eyes. After the first dislocation it seems fine until there is stress placed on it. We’ll see that come in the Sarries match and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him pop it then. Hope it doesn’t tho.

He's not back too soon.

Source: Henshaw semi final v Scarlet's 2018 having dislocated his against Italy with no issues since.

Other source: medical professionals with personal information on James Ryan well capable of making the decision of declaring him fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Clegg wrote: »
    Where's this story of Frawley to Munster originated from? If it's a Facebook rumour we can discard it I suppose.

That move wouldn't make sense for either party. He's barely any more experience at 10 than any of their young flyhalfs. They've three if them in the system now. Time.to actually use them.

When Carberry injured again and Blyenhal retired it's been mooted for a few months as no cover for Munster. Sexton going nowhere and it seems Byrne Snr didn't want to move so perhaps people presume his brother wouldn't either. Frawley has family from Munster.

Looks like he's been used more at 12 (based on 100% of his appearances this year) and coaches talk. But for his career moving to Munster be a good option? He's working and learning in one of the best clubs in the world and getting game time. But working under Larkham could be a draw?

In a few weeks Leinster will lose Sexton, Larmour, Kearney, Henshaw and Ringrose so he'll get plenty of opportunities you'd think and get to work with Cotemponi and Lancaster. He's still only 22 and in college I think.

Or as you say could just be a FB rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

shaungil wrote: »
    When Carberry injured again and Blyenhal retired it's been mooted for a few months as no cover for Munster. Sexton going nowhere and it seems Byrne Snr didn't want to move so perhaps people presume his brother wouldn't either. Frawley has family from Munster.

Looks like he's been used more at 12 (based on 100% of his appearances this year) and coaches talk. But for his career moving to Munster be a good option? He's working and learning in one of the best clubs in the world and getting game time. But working under Larkham could be a draw?

In a few weeks Leinster will lose Sexton, Larmour, Kearney, Henshaw and Ringrose so he'll get plenty of opportunities you'd think and get to work with Cotemponi and Lancaster. He's still only 22 and in college I think.

Or as you say could just be a FB rumour

McFadden going too. Permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

1) So what?
    2) What young OHs? Ben Healy has 1+2 apps. JJ and Carbery are the only senior OHs in their squad

With the uncertainty around Carbery it would make complete sense for both parties, as sickening as it would be to see another talented young Leinster player down in Munster

Not really sure it does make complete sense for both parties at all, considering it looks like he's shown himself to be a decent option at 12, a position we're short in ourselves, and Munster have 3 out halves in the academy.

• Advertisement

Not really sure it does make complete sense for both parties at all, considering it looks like he's shown himself to be a decent option at 12, a position we're short in ourselves, and Munster have 3 out halves in the academy.

He could be first choice 10 there next season, he is not going to be first choice 10 at Leinster next season. I don't see how their academy players are relevant, do you think Munster wouldn't want him on that basis? I would absolutely hate to see him move but it seems 100% feasible to me for the reason of him getting more rugby at 10 and them getting a better 10 than JJ or the academy players they have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement