Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Seems charity work = 50% reduction in ban. Give me strength.

https://twitter.com/patmccarry/status/1303457754594578433?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Kevski wrote: »

Its more his previous record which is fairly spotless. Just one previous ban i think and it was treated as a high end offence which starts at 10 weeks.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Got to love the citing process. A charity. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's incredible he doesn't have a previous record when you consider all the no arms tackles he's put in down the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Kevski wrote: »

To be fair, thats an extract that doesn't show the full picture. Farrell obviously pled guilty and was remorseful. He showed that at the time as well as at the hearing. And his overall disciplinary record is good, even though in reality we all knew this was coming. In terms of how they can and do adjudicate there were factors for leniency there. We all knew that before the hearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

i’ll take it. given rugby’s citing bodies reluctance to heavily punish high profile players 5 weeks is twice as much as i was expecting. Farrell will have to be much more careful in future now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Farrell has got a previous ban for a dangerous tackle. There's no way he should have gotten the maximum mitigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I wonder if the sentence would have been the same had it overlapped with any Six Nations or other key England games...

Unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

5 weeks is still pretty big for a tackle though?

I wonder if the sentence would have been the same had it overlapped with any Six Nations or other key England games...

Unlikely.

As i said in the GP thread, 5 matches punishes him but leaves him fully available to England. 1 extra week and he misses the Barbarians game (and his only remaining chance for match fitness ahead of the Italy game). 2 extra weeks sees him miss the Italy game entirely. It may be tin foil hat stuff, but a full reduction despite having previous doesnt really make sense.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »

The decision was 10 weeks given the severity of it. The full 50% reduction despite a previous ban for a dangerous challenge doesnt make much sense on the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

AdamD wrote: »
    Not at all. Dangerous tackle can go up to 50 weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Testimonies from the two coaches that would benefit most from him being shown leniency, were taken into account as part of the judgement.

Just about sums up the citing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Leinster should have put Saracens away by HT last year.
    Doris and Kelleher are significant additions this year. JGP off the bench also hopefully

Saracens without Farrell is the ultimate game changer.
    And no Kruis!
    Williams also gone.

If Mako doesn't start I think Leinster will be in a position to win this around the 60 min mark.
    To be able to bring Furlong off the bench would be massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,055 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think calling it a tackle is giving it far too much credibility in the first place.

But anyway, it is what it is, I'd rather have seen us beat their first choice team, but I'll take it, busy period ahead to the Final and all that.

Three Leinster players in the Pro 14 Team of the Season. Doris also won Young Player of the Season.

15. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh)
    14. Monty Ioane (Benetton)
    13. Rey Lee-Lo (Cardiff Blues)
    12. Stuart McCloskey (Ulster)
    11. Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh)
    10. Jaco van der Walt (Edinburgh)
    9. John Cooney (Ulster)
    1. Pierre Schoeman (Edinburgh)
    2. Joseph Dweba (Cheetahs)
    3. Leon Brown (Dragons)
    4. Scott Fardy (Leinster)
    5. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh)
    6. Max Deegan (Leinster)
    7. Will Connors (Leinster)
    8. Bill Mata (Edinburgh)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Welsh rugby Twitter up in arms because Sexton likely to be rested this week.

Maybe if their teams weren't shipping 40 or 50 to Leinster 2nd string things would be different

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Maybe if their teams weren't shipping 40 or 50 to Leinster 2nd string things would be different

Yeah I always laugh at this. Welsh team is offended that Leinster sent their seconds over to Wales. How do we fix the league guys?

The league will fix itself if Leinster's second string can no longer hammer the Welsh teams. Put 30 on Leinster next year and see if they continue to send the kids.

Burkie1203 wrote: »

What does it matter to them. Sure only 1 of their teams came within even an asses roar of a SF spot. Surely they have bigger things to be worrying about!? Bizarre.

I advise muting or blocking people who incessantly moan about the same topic. You'll be much better off for it.

• Advertisement

The Welsh never bought into the Celtic league/Pro 12 in same way the other nations did. There have been mutterings for years about getting their regions to join the Aviva Premiership. Which is funny because I'm pretty sure the English don't want them.

In fairness, it's a fairly dire reflection on the Pro14 and how it is viewed that a team is happy to rest their best player in the final of the competition.

I get why Leinster are doing it but it's just another symptom of how half arsed the competition is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I advise muting or blocking people who incessantly moan about the same topic. You'll be much better off for it.

Good advice.
    awec wrote: »
    In fairness, it's a fairly dire reflection on the Pro14 and how it is viewed that a team is happy to rest their best player in the final of the competition.

I get why Leinster are doing it but it's just another symptom of how half arsed the competition is.

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

John Cooney being dropped this week. Apparently.

I think a lot of it is very disparaging of Byrne tbh. The guy has steered is to victories in league and HEC KO games before, including against Ulster last year. He's more than capable. Its not like they're sticking Harry Byrne out there. Ross deserves this shot. He's been such a huge part of big Leinster days in the last couple of years.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think a lot of it is very disparaging of Byrne tbh. The guy has steered is to victories in league and HEC KO games before, including against Ulster last year. He's more than capable. Its not like they're sticking Harry Byrne out there. Ross deserves this shot. He's been such a huge part of big Leinster days in the last couple of years.

I can see the rugby reasoning for it.

But Leinster are resting their captain and best player in what is supposed to be the biggest game of the league calendar, so that he can play in the quarter final of another competition.

It's really not a good look for the Pro14.

I can see the rugby reasoning for it.

But Leinster are resting their captain and best player in what is supposed to be the biggest game of the league calendar, so that he can play in the quarter final of another competition.

It's really not a good look for the Pro14.

I'm not talking about the rugby reasoning. I'm talking about Byrne being good enough to deserve the call up regardless of Sexton. What should be a thing to applaud Leinster on, ie giving guys the opportunities in the biggest of games, is being used as something to knock them over. I would totally understand it if Byrne hadn't already delivered at every other level on number of occasions. But saying that Leinster are diminishing the competition by playing a guy who has started winning KO games for them numerous times is just strange.

Like, how many other 10s in the league have a record like Byrnes? How many have won SFs in the league let alone QFs and SFs in the HEC? Either hes good enough or he's not. If he is then there should be no issue. And I think he he has shown he is. He is one of the best 10s in the league. Him starting the final is not a bad reflection on the league at all. And I think its a bit of a skewed way of looking at it to suggest that it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm not talking about the rugby reasoning. I'm talking about Byrne being good enough to deserve the call up regardless of Sexton. What should be a thing to applaud Leinster on, ie giving guys the opportunities in the biggest of games, is being used as something to knock them over. I would totally understand it if Byrne hadn't already delivered at every other level on number of occasions. But saying that Leinster are diminishing the competition by playing a guy who has started winning KO games for them numerous times is just strange.

Like, how many other 10s in the league have a record like Byrnes? How many have won SFs in the league let alone QFs and SFs in the HEC? Either hes good enough or he's not. If he is then there should be no issue. And I think he he has shown he is. He is one of the best 10s in the league. Him starting the final is not a bad reflection on the league at all. And I think its a bit of a skewed way of looking at it to suggest that it is.

Yeah, but awec's point, and it is not unreasonable, is that there is no way this would happen in the QF against Sarries.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Yeah, but awec's point, and it is not unreasonable, is that there is no way this would happen in the QF against Sarries.

And it's not the fact that it's Sarries either.

If Leinster were playing Ulster this weekend in a HEC QF then Sexton would be playing.

• Advertisement

Is it understandable by Leinster? Yes.

Is it a bad look for the league? I suppose it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement