Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,675 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm sure if it was a Munster player being accused Erik would be saying "he was just putting the young lad in his place".

I would've thought by now that people wouldn't be jumping at conclusions off of sensationalist headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Yes..the incident sickens me...the very fact that it has happened...if that fact escapes you... that again..says more about you....

An incident, the circumstances you know nothing about, sickens you.

You already did judge jury and executioner on the retired player without knowing a single fact.

Says it all about you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Buer wrote: »
    No, it says a former player who lives overseas. It doesn't say it was a former overseas player. Significantly different and there are a couple of lads who left Ireland after retirement.

With that said, at least one of the NIQ players was in attendance. This incident is being overshadowed by the urination story and is far, far more serious. Those involved should be heavily sanctioned.

Well, they should be investigated. Except IRFU can't investigate a non-employee and they certainly can't sanction him.

While this whole thing is embarrassing and obviously anyone getting knocked out is very serious, it's hard to see what can come of it. Maybe some kid gets thrown out of the academy but is that a proportional punishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well, they should be investigated. Except IRFU can't investigate a non-employee and they certainly can't sanction him.

While this whole thing is embarrassing and obviously anyone getting knocked out is very serious, it's hard to see what can come of it. Maybe some kid gets thrown out of the academy but is that a proportional punishment?

Depending on what happened it could be proportional or it could be way over the top. The ex player can only really be not invited to such things again if he’s at fault. Unless there is a legal case to be taken by someone. Without any details we are sort of wasting our time discussing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Faux outrage without any facts, it’s so Twitter in here today ;)

• Advertisement

The fact it happened is what sickens me ...I'm not the one trying to make up excuses or pardon people...I would expect a grown mature man to have a cooler head in a situation... but obviously you wish to apportion blame ... that's your take from this debacle...I haven't asked for any punishment towards the retired player... but you seem to want us to believe it's the academy players fault.....I wonder why...

Surely if it’s blue tinted as I think your suggesting he would want to blame the ex player not the current one. You don’t know the situation so can’t know if the older man should have had a cooler head. He didn’t apportion any blame in fact the only person that did was you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,563 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I can still see the word "if" in there....

Can anyone else? Or is it just me??

Weren't they ostensibly fired over their WhatsApp messages?

If the whatsapps leaked and there was no wider case to answer then they wouldn't have been fired over them. The messages just allowed the IRFU to open the termination discussions at a slightly more favourable level. The reality is that reputationally the players needed to go, the messages were a convenient excuse for the media but ultimately both players were fully compensated or near enough in respect of their outstanding contract terms.

Buer wrote: »
    No, it says a former player who lives overseas. It doesn't say it was a former overseas player. Significantly different and there are a couple of lads who left Ireland after retirement.

With that said, at least one of the NIQ players was in attendance. This incident is being overshadowed by the urination story and is far, far more serious. Those involved should be heavily sanctioned.

That this has become public means there is a real possibility of a Garda investigation if there isn't one already. That's a serious enough assault, you could get a custodial sentence for that.

It matters if said Academy player was going around picking a fight

This is a quote...and not mine...

The fact this incident happened is what I can't stomach ..is that too hard for some to see...or is it that any comment on the matter is seen to be anti-leinster...

Your looking for something that doesn’t exist. He didn’t say that’s what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Downlinz

scott1974 wrote: »
    I never said it was false, if you read what I said. He's just looking for attention, he doesn't report on rugby for the good of the game.

The job of a journalist is to deal in facts, not to cheerlead the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Downlinz wrote: »
    The job of a journalist is to deal in facts, not to cheerlead the sport.

Read him, dont read him. I just choose not to.

Initially all discussion of the pissartist was shut down here on the basis of association with McKenna.

Which was bs.

glasso wrote: »
    Initially all discussion of the pissartist was shut down here on the basis of association with McKenna.

Which was bs.
    No it was shut down on the basis of being an unsubstantiated rumor. Don’t let the facts get in the way of your narrative though.

salmocab wrote: »
    Your looking for something that doesn’t exist. He didn’t say that’s what happened.

He built his whole ridiculous argument on that very quote...
    Are you willfully ignoring the “if” part of his response because it doesn’t suit your argument or are you just trolling, it’s very hard to tell with you sometimes.

He built his whole ridiculous argument on that very quote...

He was giving a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

All chat for that article to be in here,

This shouldn't need to be said but keep it civil!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

That this has become public means there is a real possibility of a Garda investigation if there isn't one already. That's a serious enough assault, you could get a custodial sentence for that.

Given the person in question lives on the other side of the world, the chances of that happening are beyond miniscule.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Given the person in question lives on the other side of the world, the chances of that happening are beyond miniscule.

We don’t know where he lives, there seems to be an assumption who it is. It could be someone living in England

stephen_n wrote: »
    No it was shut down on the basis of being an unsubstantiated rumor. Don’t let the facts get in the way of your narrative though.

that's not how it reads. your narrative is in your own head.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110290238
    Yeah cause if this actually happened, their first port of call would be a spoofer journalist living in Brazil?

Also given the amount of videos going around of cassidys last night, this wasn't recorded? The only disgrace here is McKenna, as usual.

Moderator shutting down topic
    Let's not give that waste of space the attention he so desperately craves by discussing his nonsense on here.

Enough on this topic.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

stephen_n wrote: »

At the time McKenna tweeted about it it wasn't an 'unsubstantiated' rumour.

Everyone knew it happened, and everyone knew X had a past for pissing on things other than in a toilet bowl or against a wall on the streets when he took to the drink after getting a bad injury.

The other incident does involve a former overseas player, btw. I won't name names because people might jump on me and demand proof because they can't accept that some rugby players are absolute pigs.

Faugheen wrote: »
    they can't accept that some rugby players are absolute pigs.

They're people. You put any group of people in a room, give them enough alcohol and eventually there'll be a fight. That goes for inner city scrotes, private school knobs or Johnny foreigner mercenaries.

I don't really think this is a huge deal tbh.

Some guy pissing on a randomer is a bigger issue imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

It matters if said Academy player was going around picking a fight

This is a quote...and not mine...

The fact this incident happened is what I can't stomach ..is that too hard for some to see...or is it that any comment on the matter is seen to be anti-leinster...

You stated the overseas player settled an argument through violence. We dont know that is what happened.

An altercation is very vague. It could very well have been an act of self defence.

Now go find a dictionary and look up the words IF, MIGHT, POSSIBLE

They're people. You put any group of people in a room, give them enough alcohol and eventually there'll be a fight. That goes for inner city scrotes, private school knobs or Johnny foreigner mercenaries.

I don't really think this is a huge deal tbh.

Some guy pissing on a randomer is a bigger issue imo

I'm talking about the sheer denial that some things can be done by a rugby player.

People were quick to dismiss what Ewan McKenna was saying about X despite it being common knowledge what happened, and now people trying to apportion blame without knowing any of the facts in relation to the other incident.

An academy player ended up in hospital by a former overseas player after a scuffle in public. This isn't normal behaviour. If they weren't rugby players we'd be dismissing them as scumbags.

Also, I've been in numerous situations with large groups of people involving alcohol and I never was in this situation among my own group.

I'm talking about the sheer denial that some things can be done by a rugby player.

People were quick to dismiss what Ewan McKenna was saying about X despite it being common knowledge what happened, and now people trying to apportion blame without knowing any of the facts in relation to the other incident.

An academy player ended up in hospital by a former overseas player after a scuffle in public. This isn't normal behaviour. If they weren't rugby players we'd be dismissing them as scumbags.

Also, I've been in numerous situations with large groups of people involving alcohol and I never was in this situation among my own group.

Only one person tried to apportion any blame without knowing the facts. The lack of any information is why it’s not being discussed much. No it’s not normal behavior but we don’t know what happened so can’t really voice much opinion on it.

You've never seen an alcohol-induced fight? Really?

It's not "normal" behaviour but it's not particularly shocking or unusual. It's great for people who want to make a particular point like your mate Ewan, beyond that not really.

not Elsom in question apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

MOD NOTE

No naming of players that aren't named in any publication for libel reasons

You've never seen an alcohol-induced fight? Really?

It's not "normal" behaviour but it's not particularly shocking or unusual. It's great for people who want to make a particular point like your mate Ewan, beyond that not really.

You need to read my post again, because I did not say that.

Among my peer group, there has never been a fight among us over an alcohol-induced argument. That's the sort of **** scumbags do. Has there been arguments? Of course, never once came close to a scrap because we don't need to resort to that.

It's scummy behaviour, and you can cop on with the 'your mate Ewan' bull****. I think he's a prick as much as anybody else but he was bang on with this incident and people refused to believe him for the simple reason that it was Ewan McKenna.

• Advertisement

You need to read my post again, because I did not say that.

Among my peer group, there has never been a fight among us over an alcohol-induced argument. That's the sort of **** scumbags do. Has there been arguments? Of course, never once came close to a scrap because we don't need to resort to that.

It's scummy behaviour, and you can cop on with the 'your mate Ewan' bull****. I think he's a prick as much as anybody else but he was bang on with this incident and people refused to believe him for the simple reason that it was Ewan McKenna.

An academy player and a retired player living overseas are not in the same peer group. They're total strangers.

I presume you're Irish and an adult. You can't really be surprised at this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement