Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Cronin starts. No Furlong or Fardy in the squad.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1306910843200733186?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RedRaider0

1st european appearances for Will Connors, Hugo Keenan and Ryan Baird.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Saracens close to as predicted:

MakoV George Koch
    Itoje Swinson
    Rhodes BillyV Wray

Wigglesworth Goode
    Barritt Taylor
    Maitland Daly Lewington

Woolstencroft, Barrington, Clarey, Hunter-Hill, Clarke, Davies, Vunipola, Morris

That's still a very good Saracens starting 15. Bench lacks a bit of impact though.

Think if we can keep our noses in front after 60 minutes our own subs can win the game for us.

Clegg wrote: »
    That's still a very good Saracens starting 15. Bench lacks a bit of impact though.

Think if we can keep our noses in front after 60 minutes our own subs can win the game for us.

pray to god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Don't really rate Goode at 10.

Nice linespeed from the likes of Cronin, Connors and Doris can keep the pressure on him and force him back in.

While he's far from your average loosehead I can't see Mako being overly destructive having been so long out. I'd love to see Porter muller him in a few scrums.

Time to see really what Connors is made of. If he can get the making of Billy V then he puts himself in the prime position for the green 7 shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Another week to soon for Furlong.
    Wonder will he be out until the Autumn internationals now.

Saracens have become less likeable since we last played them so I hope we turn them over, but there really is no way to predict this game given the limited pool of teams each side has faced since lockdown. With that in mind Leinster 42 - 16 Saracens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

been out of the rugby loop, but why is Connors starting ahead of VanderFlier, loss of form or is Connors really come on ?

Why is Baird not starting , loss of form ?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Guinness RFC

I think Leinster will and the game will be won because of Henshaw and Ringrose defending out wide. They certainly won’t dwarf us like they did in the euro final. Leinster by 14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

thebaz wrote: »
    been out of the rugby loop, but why is Connors starting ahead of VanderFlier, loss of form or is Connors really come on ?

Connors has proven himself to be a literal chop tackling machine.

Baird has never been first choice for Leinster. He will be. But not yet

He and VDF are playing exceptionally well right now. The latter won MOTM in the Pro 14 final. I think Connors is in because he's a more powerful tackler which is needed against Billy Vunipola. Murray Kinsella did a bit of analysis on the two and found that Connors is more likely to make a dominant hit whilst VDF is more likely to slow down ruck ball.

Connors appears to be the stronger tackler of the two in terms of his size and technique. VDF was excellent against Ulster, but the sentiment appears to be that if facing a big ball carrying 8 - Connors is now the preferred openside.

Toner = Lineout
    Ryan = God

That's the rational behind the pecking order at lock currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Clegg wrote: »
    He and VDF are playing exceptionally well right now. The latter won MOTM in the Pro 14 final. I think Connors is in because he's a more powerful tackler which is needed against Billy Vunipola.

Thanks - havnt watch a game of rugby since March - thought VanderFlier was playing well , but makes sense , havnt seen much of Connors , he must be playing great, I would assume Baird is pushing Dev very close for the starting jersey.

Thanks - havnt watch a game of rugby since March - thought VanderFlier was playing well , but makes sense , havnt seen much of Connors , he must be playing great, I would assume Baird is pushing Dev very close for the starting jersey.

not given the lineout issues

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It's nothing to do with VdF losing form, Connors will have one job and that's stop their big carriers. If the next game was against someone who play more fast and loose I reckon VdF would be in line to start. I think it's one of those cases where horses for courses actually applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Thats still a strong Saracens side. Although the bench is a bit meh.

Wigglesworth loves a box kick, if the Leinster back 3 can deal with those then I think it will go a long way to winning the game.

This game reminds me of the Ireland Japan game in the RWC,

Where Leinster would have had to plan for the Pro14 SF, Final, and then Saracens.

Whereas Saracens would have been planning for this game for months.

Leinster by 10

Connors and Keenan starting such a huge game is a big big fillip for the 7's programme. Obviously they started off as 15's players, but both developed their games further on the 7's circuit.

Larmour could have done with a year playing 7's at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭crisco10

100% IQ 23 which is nice.

And Lowe, Henshaw, JGP, Cronin and Bent the only non-Academy graduates. So just the 18 Leinster products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Guinness RFC

I think Baird needs to develop a hard edge and learn how to disrupt team a la Fardy. No better game for him to cut his teeth in. Against an oversized pack of sledgers and cheaters. Looks like Cullen doesn’t go for that type of player but there is a time and place for it. If he can come on and get stuck into rucks and mauls and slow some ball down he will be putting his hand up for selection in the semi. Big game for the young learning tyro.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Is anyone other than Eir showing the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

chancer12 wrote: »
    Is anyone other than Eir showing the match?

Eir don't have it. Only BT do.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

bummer, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭OldRio

17 euro a month on Now TV. Sports extra.
    Or alternative means.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Would love to see a Ruddock or Fardy on the bench. What is the story with Ruddock haven’t seen him since we started back in league. To good a player not to be even making a pro 14 squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

crisco10 wrote: »
    100% IQ 23 which is nice.

And Lowe, Henshaw, JGP, Cronin and Bent the only non-Academy graduates. So just the 18 Leinster products.

Lowe is NIQ until late October/early November.

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Would love to see a Ruddock or Fardy on the bench. What is the story with Ruddock haven’t seen him since we started back in league. To good a player not to be even making a pro 14 squad.

was injured in preseason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

OldRio wrote: »
    17 euro a month on Now TV. Sports extra.
    Or alternative means.

If you also like PL and European football, this is a great deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Where is Max Deegan these days?

Injured...or house hunting in Belfast?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement