Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Clegg wrote: »
    It's for a headbutt on Henshaw in the 2nd minute that was missed by the referee and TMO.

https://twitter.com/Saracens/status/1308081051420459014?s=19

This is incredibly frustrating. This was a stonewall red. 78 mins in a game where sarries we’re afraid to use their bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

molloyjh wrote: »
    This post genuinely made me laugh.

So let's get this straight. Saints were able to match Exeter physically (except in the scrum) and so were competitive in their 23 point defeat. Leinster were not able to compete physically and so were not competitive in their 8 point defeat.

Yet Northampton made only 72% of their tackles, missing 31 of them. They only made about 56% of the metres than Exeter made and managed < 120% gain line carries despite > 40% more possession. Their ruck success was 97%.

On the other hand Leinster made 96% of their tackles missing only 3. They made over 220% more metres and almost 350% more gainline carries than Saracens with about 70% more possession. Our ruck success was 98%.

Relatively speaking those stats suggest Leinster were more competitive in every aspect than Northampton, which the scoreline would certainly back up. Billy Vunipola made 22m off 13 carries. Compared to Sam Simmonds 46m off 12 carries. The Saracens back row made a total of 27m off 18 carries compared to 105m off 26 carries for Exeter and 52m off 27 carries for Leinster.

If we really did wilt physically, where exactly has that manifested itself in stats or on the scoreboard?

I recently got a yellow card for very gently pointing out what an imbecile you were, so I have no intention with engaging with you ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

This is incredibly frustrating. This was a stonewall red. 78 mins in a game where sarries we’re afraid to use their bench.

Is there a decent clip of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I recently got a yellow card for very gently pointing out what an imbecile you were, so I have no intention with engaging with you ever again.

Isnt it terrible how a grown up tackled your opinion with a fact & evidence based post. Ya poor divil.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Synode wrote: »
    Is there a decent clip of it?
    Not decent but gives a fairly good idea....

https://twitter.com/Luca15_/status/1308082349356318721?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Leinster's first-choice XXIII next season?

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. James Ryan
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Ryan Baird
    7. Will Connors
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. James Lowe
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. David Kearney
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. Dan Sheehan
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Jack Dunne
    20. Max Deegan
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Jordan Larmour

Don't you guys think it's time to move on from Toner and Sexton? They'll be going on 36 next season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Downlinz wrote: »
    Don't you guys think it's time to move on from Toner and Sexton? They'll be 35 and 36 next season...

Sexton will be kept on as he has ventral contract till end of season but I think it is over for him.

Ross and Harry need to fight it out and Sexton to retire gracefully

Toner I think has maybe another season just to train in the kids who don’t know how to run a line out yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Any love for porter as a loose head?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I'd say the need for that will be greater at international level. Healy's been struggling for a while to make an impact in the really big games and Kilcoyne is Kilcoyne. I always felt that McGrath stepped up his game at international level compared to when he was playing for Leinster. Is he still capable of that? Eric O'Sullivan is the other guy in the equation, I suppose.

We probably will see it for Ireland sooner rather than later, and I guess Leinster will be obliged to follow suit. The question then would be how soon will Clarkson be ready to back up Furlong, and is McBryde's scrum coaching good enough to bring him along quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Lot of love for that idea.

But we've lost 2 tight heads to other provinces and 1 for the foreseeable with a back injury.

Can't see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

What a shíte way for the two lads to go out all the same. I know they got to lift the trophy after the league final, but still, to not even get a final run out and a send off from the fans is an awful shame for two lads with 400 appearances between the two of them.

League fixtures are released tomorrow.

Over the coming weeks and months I hope we see a lot of Frawley at 12 and Harry Byrne at 10. We know that competition in the league isn't the strongest, but we need to get these two up to speed quickly. Both could be key to any potential European success down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Alas, we have only these few Pro12/14 games between now the test season recommencing. I'd expect we'll see a lot of first teamers make an appearance in at least one of the games in October and we'll also be using it as a chance to get some minutes into Furlong.

Ideally, I'd like to see the following pending their fitness:

- Baird start twice
    - Jack Dunne and Charlie Ryan each start a match
    - Frawley start a couple of games at 12
    - Harry Byrne get a start at 10
    - Andrew Smith make his debut
    - Clarkson and Milne get more game time
    - Keenan start 2-3 games at full back
    - Leavy back in the fold and starting (and to remain with Leinster during the test window)
    - Develop TOB or JOB on the wing for depth

Leinster Tribute to Ferg.

He's scored a great few tries in his time.

I'd have loved it to have included some of his bone shuddering hits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

I have a feeling that Thornley and Cumiskey don't necessarily agree on all things rugby:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/gerry-thornley-talk-of-anglo-french-hegemony-is-over-the-top-1.4360850

I would agree with Thornley's view.

hirondelle wrote: »
    I have a feeling that Thornley and Cumiskey don't necessarily agree on all things rugby:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/gerry-thornley-talk-of-anglo-french-hegemony-is-over-the-top-1.4360850

I would disagree with it being kneejerk, if we want to consider ourselves as the best around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Mod tools are currently not operational, but rest assured, when they are you will be getting a red card for this one. Enough of the condescending posts and snide remarks, which have been a feature of your posts. Any more and you'll be getting a lot more than a red card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Niallof9 wrote: »

If they were painful truths why weren’t they presented before the match? Especially when Leinster smashed Northampton twice when they were 2nd in the premiership at the time. You won’t hear a Pepe from these lads about the premiership pro14 comparison next season when we get a minimum of 2 in the semi finals because the exact same thing happened in 2016.

hirondelle wrote: »

Because Thornley writes based on logic and reason, not emotion. Let’s see Cummisky is slamming the premiership next season when the pro14 has far more teams in the KO phase like always.

Leinster A game confirmed for Friday evening. Hopefully it will be streamed like the Connacht/Munster game.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1308395902760112128?s=19

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Because Thornley writes based on logic and reason, not emotion. Let’s see Cummisky is slamming the premiership next season when the pro14 has far more teams in the KO phase like always.

Thornley writes whatever he thinks his mates in the squad and in the IRFU want him to write.

awec wrote: »
    Thornley writes whatever he thinks his mates in the squad and in the IRFU want him to write.

And also that. At least he doesn’t allow his emotion dominate his thinking. If I had a Euro for the amount of times Cummisky jumped from one narrative to another...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    And also that. At least he doesn’t allow his emotion dominate his thinking. If I had a Euro for the amount of times Cummisky jumped from one narrative to another...

Cummiskey increasingly sounds to me as if he is writing after having had a few cans.

Lets not hold Thornley up as any bastion of good sports writing. He's a fan at a keyboard without a bad word to say about anything involving Irish rugby. He has no critical thinking in regards to any aspect. Its not perfect and some things can be questioned.

Wonder what the A team will look like this weekend. A lot of guys needing a run out.

1) Dooley
    2) Sheehan (is he fit again yet?)
    3) Clarkson
    4) C Ryan
    5) Dunne
    6) J Murphy
    7) Penny
    8) ? will they go for someone like Ruddock/ Deegan or Academy
    9) O'Sullivan
    10) Byrne
    11) Smith?
    12) Frawley
    13) TOB
    14) Turner
    15) Silvester

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wonder what the A team will look like this weekend. A lot of guys needing a run out.

1) Dooley
    2) Sheehan (is he fit again yet?)
    3) Clarkson
    4) C Ryan
    5) Dunne
    6) J Murphy
    7) Penny
    8) ? will they go for someone like Ruddock/ Deegan or Academy
    9) O'Sullivan
    10) Byrne
    11) Smith?
    12) Frawley
    13) TOB
    14) Turner
    15) Silvester

I’d say Leavy will start if he’s involved easier to manage time that way

• Advertisement

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Lets not hold Thornley up as any bastion of good sports writing. He's a fan at a keyboard without a bad word to say about anything involving Irish rugby. He has no critical thinking in regards to any aspect. Its not perfect and some things can be questioned.

I’d hold him up as a bastion compared to cumskiy, after that I’m not so sure and tbh I agree he is like fan with a type writer. Wish we had a journalist that was bang in between the two though :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement