Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Overall, this is a disappointing showing from Leinster thus far. The players started at 100mph so clearly wanted to put down a marker. The attack has looked fairly one dimensional though.

If the Dragons could hold onto the ball, they'd be in this game.

We'll probably win by 30+ but it hasn't really clicked tonight.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Tadgh van der flier???

Best mash up ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Spectacular finish

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hamstring injury for Deegan?

Huge blow for him if that's the case. Had a chance to re-establish himself in the side after missing out on the league and Champions Cup run in.

Shame Ryan didn't get that try. Was an excellent steal from him initially.

• Advertisement

But Baird scores instead from his own steal.

Mad game.

How the WRU haven't called it quits on the Dragons yet is beyond me. They started well but have just completely crumbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭theVersatile

That's a great ankle tap

Followed by some absolutely piss poor tackling on Baird

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Guinness RFC

Byrne kicks far too much. It annoys me

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Guinness RFC

Dragons have been poor defensively but in fairness to Leinster and Lowe in particular - we have been clinical

• Advertisement

Looks like the witcher has been eating too many pies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Such a good defensive read by Keenan there and then a great tackle.

Been very impressed by Keenan.

Haps stroked in as a first receiver and strike runner. Also tackled well.

How the WRU haven't called it quits on the Dragons yet is beyond me. They started well but have just completely crumbled.

They absolutely have not. This is close to the first choice Leinster 23 and they've put in a great showing.

Leinster should be more worried on the basis of this game than the Dragons given their respective reputations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Turnovers are a worry too

Buer wrote: »
    They absolutely have not. This is close to the first choice Leinster 23 and they've put in a great showing.

Leinster should be more worried on the basis of this game than the Dragons given their respective reputations.

Think that's overegging it a bit. Leinster haven't left second gear the entire night and have been comfortably better.

There's definitely an argument to be made that we still haven't gotten to grips with the new interpretations of the laws however.

Ah Buer they've completely shít the bed here given how they started, how many lineouts have they lost within Leinster's 22 and truly threatened to score outside of the one break where they tripped and the try they scored. And another chance blown there.

We haven't been great, and after Sexton went off our attack slowed down considerably, but they've been poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Clegg wrote: »
    Think that's overegging it a bit. Leinster haven't left second gear the entire night and have been comfortably better.

There's definitely an argument to be made that we still haven't gotten to grips with the new interpretations of the laws however.

Or just waiting for them to turn back!

Hope that's given.

Keenan deserves a try for his efforts tonight.

Think that'll be disallowed.

Shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Thought Ross Byrne single handedly kept that scorline below 50, kicked the ball away inside their half when we had them underpressure at least 5 times - terrible decision making when youve such gainline dominance.

Healy seems to get absolutley smashed everytime he carries the ball these days - still our best scrummager at 1 though

JGP should be first choice our attack is far more fluid with him at 9

Keenan pushing for Ireland squad - hes rock solid

VDF hungry and everywhere

Baird an absolute freak that try was outrageous - has to be involved with Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Dragons were excellent in defense but their attack and phase play was very very poor. I think Leinster will be happy enough. They tried to play at a very high tempo and if not for a few last ditch tackles and a few individual mistakes by Leinster and the score would have been over 50.

Dragons were disappointing tonight, as I think they played better than the scoreline suggests. I counted five line out fcuk ups within 10 meters of the leinster line, Davies fell over his shoelaces running it in.... And they could have had a pen try in the last few phases as leinster were very cynical.

Dragons will cause other teams more problems, but they need to sort their set piece out first.

Leinster were OK. Their defense was good, not many line breaks from dragons even though it was a loose game.

JGP was very good and I think it's the clear first nine currently. Larmour, even though he scored, was disappointing. Keenan was good and unlucky with that last play. Ringrose again was top class.

Upfront I think baird again shone when he came on, the guy has a very high ceiling. Ryan motoring nicely.

Ah, job done, good but not perfect.

Knee injury for Deegan. Hope it's not a serious one. Something bad would be devastating for a forward that relies heavily on his athleticiism.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1312142155209555968?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Bit of a disjointed display but some pretty good positives to take away.

If we're looking at 15s to blood in green id be backing Keenan over Shane Daly. Very assured player. Natural full back.

Tommy O'Brien was excellent. Didn't always make the best decision but had some really assured involvements. Lovely poach. Some proper impact tackles. Lovely catch pass under pressure to release a player. Hard carrying where required. So far has the makings of the real deal.

Ringrose maintains his 100% record of professional place kicks (total of 2) but an absolute peach. Just strikes it so naturally. He made some excellent decisions tonight. Just such a good rugby brain.

I haven't seen a pass as good as Johnny's to Larmour for the try in ages. At pace. Huge distance. Right into the bread basket without Larmour checking his run. Unreal.

Ryan had about 6 impact tackles where the Dragons lost the meter. Amazingly efficient. And a few lineout steals to boot. He's such a good player.

JGP was excellent again. Linked up well with Sexton and was really in sync with his forwards. Will be starting ahead of McGrath until Luke has a big showing.

Baird brought huge energy when he came on. I'd love to see him not taking it to contact so high. But his high upright running style contributes to his pace and tackle breaking ability. I think he just needs to be smarter about when to literally put the head down. He's an excellent option in the air too. But that 4 shirt is his to take for the big games and probably soon. He will hit new highs this season.

Thought Ross Byrne single handedly kept that scorline below 50, kicked the ball away inside their half when we had them underpressure at least 5 times - terrible decision making when youve such gainline dominance.

Healy seems to get absolutley smashed everytime he carries the ball these days - still our best scrummager at 1 though

JGP should be first choice our attack is far more fluid with him at 9

Keenan pushing for Ireland squad - hes rock solid

There have been a few false dawns for Healy's demise but I think we're nearing the end now. He has completely lost any dynamism he had and really doesn't contribute anything close to the other props around the park. The pick and go down the blindside after coming on was criminally dense.

Fardy was solid but similarly I think time is catching up and he's not the player he was 2 years ago.

We still have some lineout wobbles which is a continuing concern. We were more competitive on opposition ball which was nice but we need to be rock solid on our own.

Ross Byrne was disappointing. Very wasteful of attacking ball by repeatedly looking for the cross kick when it wasn't the right option.

On the positive side, Keenan and JGP were both excellent. It's hard to believe that it's the same player kicking from the base that arrived 4 years ago and couldn't kick snow off a rope. Keenan just looks extremely comfortable and assured which is exactly what's needed.

Good to see Ruddock back again and demonstrating his power in contact repeatedly. We could have done with that a fortnight ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Why are Leinster paying for the RDS and not using Donnybrook for these games. Are they tied in to a contract?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

roadmaster wrote: »
    Why are Leinster paying for the RDS and not using Donnybrook for these games. Are they tied in to a contract?

Yes they have to play so many games in the RDS per year, think it's 12...

Irish Times quoting an interview with Micky D saying nearly 6,000 supporters signed up to the 'official membership'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Ringrose maintains his 100% record of professional place kicks (total of 2) but an absolute peach. Just strikes it so naturally. He made some excellent decisions tonight. Just such a good rugby brain.

I'm sure I've seen him taking more than 2 in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

roadmaster wrote: »

Leinster haven't played in Donnybrook for over a decade. Why would they be played there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement