Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Stan27 wrote: »
    Anyone think Baird would make a decent 6??

There's a few people who think that should be his primary position going forward.

I've seen concerns about his size - which I don't share. I think he's plenty tall enough to be a top level lock.

People also voicing reservations that his speed will be wasted in the row. This one I slightly agree with. His biggest point of difference over his peers would be his speed. I saw him hunt down a back 3 player over 60 meters to make the tackle. I'd say he's easily the quickest forward in Leinster and truthfully I don't know what other forward in the other 3 provinces who could take him in a foot race.

I think it's wiser to have him stick to a position while he develops and let him branch out when he's settled. I think for now 2nd row is the best place for him for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

There's a few people who think that should be his primary position going forward.

I've seen concerns about his size - which I don't share. I think he's plenty tall enough to be a top level lock.

People also voicing reservations that his speed will be wasted in the row. This one I slightly agree with. His biggest point of difference over his peers would be his speed. I saw him hunt down a back 3 player over 60 meters to make the tackle. I'd say he's easily the quickest forward in Leinster and truthfully I don't know what other forward in the other 3 provinces who could take him in a foot race.

I think it's wiser to have him stick to a position while he develops and let him branch out when he's settled. I think for now 2nd row is the best place for him for the moment.

He should fill a Steph Du Toit type roll with leinster and Ireland where he covers both, so it depends who the weaker option is at 6 and second row as to what position he covers.

E.g if our only other second row is out of form and our backrow options are very good then he'll fill in at second row, and if Ian henderson is playing very well then he fills in at 6. Steph Du toit plays at second row regularly for the Stormers then at 7 for SA internationally because theyve such good options for second row already in Etzebeth, Snyman and De Jager

Is there anywhere to get or download a replay of the Leinster Dragons game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Is there anywhere to get or download a replay of the Leinster Dragons game?

messaged you

messaged you

Legend , thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭eire4

Clegg wrote: »

Sounds like Porter will be out for a while reading between the lines there but maybe only 2-3 weeks for Sexton hopefully at least.

good chance for H byrne and maybe Clarkson to get some mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Treviso looked excellent against Ulster. They've been good for quite a while now. Bizarrely, you had some Irish people attributing their improvement to Conor O'Shea's work with their national team. But it's really down to Crowley. He's a good coach. They're playing very enterprising rugby under him. This upcoming game looks very losable. I liked the look of their young outhalf last weekend. Garbisi or something - is that his name?

Think I'd like to see a team something like:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Michael Bent
    4. Ryan Baird
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Will Connors
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. Jimmy O'Brien
    14. Tommy O'Brien
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. James Tracy
    17. Edward Byrne
    18. Thomas Clarkson
    19. Jack Dunne
    20. Rhys Ruddock
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Jordan Larmour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I'd say he's easily the quickest forward in Leinster and truthfully I don't know what other forward in the other 3 provinces who could take him in a foot race.

Id like to see himself and Tom Ahern in a footrace. be an entertaining sight if nothing else.

• Advertisement

With Furlong out and now Porter injured potentially for a few weeks we'll feel the loss of Salanoa.

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Id like to see himself and Tom Ahern in a footrace. be an entertaining sight if nothing else.

wouldnt mind seeing that either, hes already got some ridiculous highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr4tERgd4y8

A lot of the really quick forwards out there tend to be explosive but can't sustain the pace. Baird is probably not the quickest over 10m but I'd say he has little competition in Ireland over 40 - 60m (amongst forwards). A few teams got caught out last season because they didn't realise he would keep accelerating until he was away.

His athleticism helps the rest of his game too - big engine and covers plenty of ground. I think when Leinster get the lineout sorted we'll see a lot more of him.

wouldnt mind seeing that either, hes already got some ridiculous highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr4tERgd4y8

I still think about that break against Ospreys sometimes. What a try that could have been if he got it

I still think about that break against Ospreys sometimes. What a try that could have been if he got it

I know it pains me watching the replay of how close he got

I've heard from people inside Leinster that the most impressive thing about him is the numbers he puts up on the gps tracking in games/trainning, apparently they are outrageous in terms of work rate etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

With Furlong out and now Porter injured potentially for a few weeks we'll feel the loss of Salanoa.

Are we down to Bent and Parker now? Abdaladze is still out.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Are we down to Bent and Parker now? Abdaladze is still out.

And Clarkson

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

And Clarkson

I knew I was forgetting someone.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I knew I was forgetting someone.

Thin enough on cover alright

But given it's international season we were going to be without Porter and Furlong for a lot of this window anyway.

Huge chance for Parker to show if he is up to it.

And a real chance for McBride to display his coaching chops. He's got a very promising young tighthead in Clarkson and a still young Parker whose career has stalled a bit and raring to prove himself.

Let's see if he can develop these guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Have to feel for Jack Aungier, three tighthead's out of his way for the moment and he not here to take advantage.

antietam1 wrote: »
    Have to feel for Jack Aungier, three tighthead's out of his way for the moment and he not here to take advantage.

He made his bed. He will have to lie in it now.

Can't depend on injuries to get game time if you have aspirations of high level minutes.

There's potential european game time for him at Connacht in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Aungier has had two very impressive showings off the bench for Connacht already against Ulster and Glasgow including a try. If he was still in Leinster, he would probably have a sub appearance against Ulster in place of Clarkson.

At this point, I would think he's very comfortable with his decision. He's going to get to play Champions Cup rugby this season and will probably start 6-10 matches. Not a chance he'd be getting that if he had stuck around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Aungier made the right call. It's Salanoa leaving straight after that is annoying in this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

He made his bed. He will have to lie in it now.

Can't depend on injuries to get game time if you have aspirations of high level minutes.

There's potential european game time for him at Connacht in fairness

bit harsh. He moved to connacht after a conversation with Cullen where Cullen had a verbal assurance Salanoa was staying.

IRFU meddling backfiring for everyone involved.
    Aungier moved on
    Salanoa forced to move to a provinc where the head coach is reluctant to use unproven players
    Leinster have to go out and make an emergency signing of Parker

I hope it works out well for him and it looks like it is so far.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    bit harsh. He moved to connacht after a conversation with Cullen where Cullen had a verbal assurance Salanoa was staying.

IRFU meddling backfiring for everyone involved.
    Aungier moved on
    Salanoa forced to move to a provinc where the head coach is reluctant to use unproven players
    Leinster have to go out and make an emergency signing of Parker

I hope it works out well for him and it looks like it is so far.

Wasn't meant to come across as harsh. Not going to begrudge a young player actively trying to make the best decision for their career progression

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Got to rewatch last weekends game. On second view I thought Ruddock was excellent. Looks like he's lost a few pounds as he was zipping around the pitch. Carried well in the tight as always, but he popped up near the wing on a few occasions for some big carries. Played like he had a point to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Unreal how much hate Zebo gets. I find it distasteful and strange to be honest. He'll never go to Leinster but to imply Keenan is the better player is just nonsense. For me its part of why Irish rugby above provincial has turned a bit ****, we love to knock players who do something different either in size, or temperament or whatever. We much prefer the steady eddies and that's turned out so well at times. I often wonder would some of the old brigade make it these days with these standards.

Anyway he's not going to Leinster and yeah he wouldn't fit into the culture they've built. But he's one of the most talented/skillful back three players Ireland has produced for a while. He's fat, not as fast as made out and seems to be out of step with the monotone, monosyllabic, robotic culture of Irish rugby, but the day there's no place for a player like that in the game is the day its over. We are seeing similar now with Larmour and it feels like he's losing a bit of zip and focusing on the mundane.
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    Aungier made the right call. It's Salanoa leaving straight after that is annoying in this scenario.

Exactly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Aungier made the right call and Salanoa is just hype at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

with covid restrictions will players be released back to the provinces i wonder?
    The irish squad and injuries leaves leinster looking pretty thin

dooley(injured)/milne
    cronin/ sheehan(injured)
    Bent/Clarkson/parker
    toner
    fardy
    rudock
    penny
    8?

luke
    10 ?

tommy obrien