Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Buer wrote: »
    He's not a grown adult. He's a kid. These lads aren't long out of school and are still developing mentally and physically

This was an altercation between an academy player and a former forward who could flatten other test level forwards with a punch let alone a 20 year old.

This stuff happens at end of season blow outs. It shouldn't though. Hopefully this turns out to be the catalyst for changing that. This crap cannot go on and it's not the first time stupid stuff has happened at an end of season session.

Full investigations should indicate who the culprits and instigators were and they should be significantly sanctioned where possible.

Look he’s not a kid that’s just rubbish, to be absolutely clear I don’t know anything about what happened just like pretty much everyone here, I’m not trying to defend anyone but using the wrong language to describe something just gives a worse impression. I agree that stuff like this shouldn’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

salmocab wrote:
    Look he’s not a kid that’s just rubbish, to be absolutely clear I don’t know anything about what happened just like pretty much everyone here, I’m not trying to defend anyone but using the wrong language to describe something just gives a worse impression. I agree that stuff like this shouldn’t happen.

Nobody is saying it's a child. It's a general term for a guy who isn't an adult in any reality aside the legal sense. We see the word used loads of times to describe youngsters who are over 18. The academy players are often straight out of school (including this guy, supposedly).

Calling him a kid is completely standard vernacular and debating the term is just nit picking.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Who honestly cares.

Everyone in this thread knows when 'kid' is used in this instance that it's about someone in the 19-22 age range who is still in the Academy. For anyone to argue the semantics and definitions and slang and vernacular is just a load of time-wasting nonsense which moves away from the actual story here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I've just got my head around what a goat is and now we're talking about kids, jeez rugby can be confusing at times

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I've just got my head around what a goat is and now we're talking about kids, jeez rugby can be confusing at times

:pac:

Ewe would say that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ewe would say that

Baaad pun.:D

glasso wrote: »
    Lots of denials here on the basis that McKenna mentioned it.

Watergate is real.

I never doubted that drunkenly pissed on some lad after a billion pints. MacKenna is an odious, contrarian troll regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

salmocab wrote: »

Look he’s not a kid that’s just rubbish, to be absolutely clear I don’t know anything about what happened just like pretty much everyone here, I’m not trying to defend anyone but using the wrong language to describe something just gives a worse impression.

“You can’t win anything with kids.”

Alan Hansen’s infamous assertion came 20 years ago, after Manchester United’s youngsters were beaten 3-1 at Aston Villa.

Sir Alex Ferguson’s side went on to claim the Premier League crown that season, condemning the former Liverpool defender to a lifetime of reminders about his disregard for a team featuring Gary Neville (aged 20), Paul Scholes (20), Ryan Giggs (21), Phil Neville (18), Nicky Butt (20), and substitute appearances from David Beckham (20) and John O'Kane (20).

From what has been reported, it appears that a former Leinster rugby player punched a kid on the head for an as yet unknown reason in a bar. The punch was so violent as to have KO'd the kid and send him to hospital in an ambulance for a brain scan.

As much fun as reading what Alan Hansen said 20 years ago whilst trying to be derogatory about a football team is, it’s actually quite relevant he used that term to try to make Alex Ferguson sound foolish and was wrong, you’ve used kid twice above to make the assault sound worse. It didn’t need that it’s a horrible thing for someone to do but doesn’t need people using emotive language describing it to make it sound even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭crybaby

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish post, only in your own mind is that acceptable..jog on

How exactly is defending yourself unacceptable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I'm amazed that the guy managed to have a slash without getting injured to be honest.

salmocab wrote: »
    As much fun as reading what Alan Hansen said 20 years ago whilst trying to be derogatory about a football team is, it’s actually quite relevant he used that term to try to make Alex Ferguson sound foolish and was wrong, you’ve used kid twice above to make the assault sound worse. It didn’t need that it’s a horrible thing for someone to do but doesn’t need people using emotive language describing it to make it sound even worse.

Is there any chance that you'd stop making a fool of yourself?

Or, in the immortal words of Plato, "grow up and stop being a tool".

Thanks.

Is there any chance that you'd stop making a fool of yourself?

Or, in the immortal words of Plato, "grow up and stop being a tool".

Thanks.

Ah insulting people, I can see your a master of debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I'm amazed that the guy managed to have a slash without getting injured to be honest.

Yes, he could easily have pulled a muscle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

"Kid" is fine to use, I don't think anyone associates that term exclusively with minors. Heck, in the States you're a kid until your mid thirties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Personally, I think you're all kids and I would gotten away with it if it wasnt for your meddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,037 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Given the dimensions of the young man in question, 'kid' is not appropriate in the slightest!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Given the dimensions of the young man in question, 'kid' is not appropriate in the slightest!

I agree I wish I was 6’7 110kg and lean when I was a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What does his size have to do with it? Plenty of kids a lot bigger than that coming out of college into the NFL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Neil3030 wrote: »
    What does his size have to do with it? Plenty of kids a lot bigger than that coming out of college into the NFL.

Because a 6’7 110kg young adult who is a professionally trained athlete, isn’t exactly a vulnerable target. Which is what the use of the word kid suggests I suppose. It hardly matters given the outcome, but if for instance it was ISA knocking out Doris. The fact it was a man and a “kid” wouldn’t seem as relevant maybe if it was Elsom doing it.

Larbre34 wrote: »

You appear to be seriously mensurationally challenged!

You see, "kid" isn't a unit of size, rather it's a term that describes the area on the chronological scale that comes somewhere between "teenager" and "middle-aged."!

But fair dues to you and your fellow philologists for caring more about the terminology than the violence!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

We're still talking about this? It could be a long few weeks....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,563 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You see, "kid" isn't a unit of size, rather it's a term that describes the area on the chronological scale that comes somewhere between "teenager" and "middle-aged."!

thats quite a loose understanding of the common use of the term "kid".....

the common use would be to describe a child or young person.

sydthebeat wrote: »

thats quite a loose understanding of the common use of the term "kid".....

the common use would be to describe a child or young person.

That's the first time that I, a lifelong Leinster supporter, have ever been accused of being common. :mad:

If I was aware of your true identity, I'd have you horsewhipped for your insolence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I really don't see what the big deal is. Club wins a championship, the players, staff etc go out celebrating. There's a lot of a drinking, a scrap, some urinating, probably some nudity and some puking and no doubt a lot of sore heads and dodgy stomachs the next morning. Sounds fairly normal to me.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I really don't see what the big deal is. Club wins a championship, the players, staff etc go out celebrating. There's a lot of a drinking, a scrap, some urinating, probably some nudity and some puking and no doubt a lot of sore heads and dodgy stomachs the next morning. Sounds fairly normal to me.
    Ah in fairness the urinating is a scummy thing to do no matter what. The fight thing whilst also not on, we would need to know a lot more about before apportioning out blame. Fights amongst large groups of males drinking too much is not exactly a shock but doesn’t excuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Urinating on someone........... normal?

I am living in a different world than others

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The bigger you are, the bigger target you are and the bigger deal it is.

If a local football team does it, it's not really news. If it happens at a team with large stakeholders, sponsors and an image to maintain, it is news.

That the above should be 'fairly normal' in any sense is an awful indictment of any organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Urinating on someone........... normal?

I am living in a different world than others

Maybe normal is the wrong word. Unsurprising might be better. I've had a few team mates over the years that were notorious for pissing or getting nude. There was one guy I went to university with who would piss on his friends' legs when he was drunk. Only stopped doing it when one of them retaliated with pooh. It very funny.

The mistake the un-named Leinster player made was doing it to a member of the public. Should have pissed on a team mate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement