Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Becomig a 6'5 prop would be equally as daft a conversion attempt imo

Andrew Sheridan seemed to do alright.

That being said, these conversions never seem to work out no matter the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

bayern wrote: »
    plenty history of tall props in the game and currently:

Ofa Tu'ungafasi
    Tyrel Lomax
    Alex Hodgman
    Dan Brennan
    Angus Bell
    Pone Fa'amausili
    Georges-Henri Colombe
    Jean-Baptiste Gros
    Joe Heyes

How did you manage to list Joe Heyes and not John Hayes:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Sangre wrote: »
    How did you manage to list Joe Heyes and not John Hayes:confused:

wasn't listing historical players but current.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

And how can we forget the prime example of tall props.........

Tony Buckley :pac::pac::pac:

It's a shame Buckley never managed to learn how to use his body effectively. In the loose he could destructive. Tossing players out of rucks and putting Richie McCaw on his backside with a tackle. And then there were other times when he's slide off easy to make tackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,256 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ben Murphy has joined Munster on short term contract.

Hopefully gets an appearance or two in next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Buer wrote: »
    Ben Murphy has joined Munster on short term contract.

Hopefully gets an appearance or two in next month.

I think you'd get pretty good odds on it.

They only have Casey and McCarthy for this whole block.

Good on the lad. Hopefully can rack up some senior minutes. He wont be playing AIL for the foreseeable

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sangre wrote: »
    Andrew Sheridan seemed to do alright.

That being said, these conversions never seem to work out no matter the position.

Uini Antonio - the only player I've seen play in the first and second rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Clegg wrote: »
    It's a shame Buckley never managed to learn how to use his body effectively. In the loose he could destructive. Tossing players out of rucks and putting Richie McCaw on his backside with a tackle. And then there were other times when he's slide off easy to make tackles.

He was a ruck inspector, he’d stand beside the ruck with one hand on it taking a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,256 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Uini Antonio - the only player I've seen play in the first and second rows.

That waster from Bruff did the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

I still can't get past the mental image of (IIRC) at one point Buckley used to pick up Hayes for training, but he only had some beaten-up little Audi hatchback. I'd say the front springs were bet up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Hawkshaw out with an Abductor strain picked up in captains run.

Silvester on the bench now

• Subscribers Posts: 41,560 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

feck

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah that's really crap for the guy. Comes back after a long period out and now could be back on the sidelines for a few weeks when he could be getting some game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

plenty history of tall props in the game and currently:

Ofa Tu'ungafasi
    Tyrel Lomax
    Alex Hodgman
    Dan Brennan
    Angus Bell
    Pone Fa'amausili
    Georges-Henri Colombe
    Jean-Baptiste Gros
    Joe Heyes

Joe heyes - 6'2
    Ofa Tu'ungafasi - 6'4
    Tyrel Lomax - 6'3
    Alex Hodgman 6'4
    Dan Brennan 6'3
    Angus Bell 6'3
    Pone Fa'amausili 6'4
    Georges-Henri Colombe 6'3
    Jean-Baptiste Gros 6'0

None of those guys are 6'5, also to be succesful as a player at 6'5 prop is by far the exeption to the rule and not the norm, I could list examples of 6'5 winger or 6'4 scrumhalfs also to prove a point but my comment remains the same, it would be pretty ludicrous to switch to a prop over a 6 at 6'5

Joe heyes - 6'2
    Ofa Tu'ungafasi - 6'4
    Tyrel Lomax - 6'3
    Alex Hodgman 6'4
    Dan Brennan 6'3
    Angus Bell 6'3
    Pone Fa'amausili 6'4
    Georges-Henri Colombe 6'3
    Jean-Baptiste Gros 6'0

None of those guys are 6'5, also to be succesful as a player at 6'5 prop is by far the exeption to the rule and not the norm, I could list examples of 6'5 winger or 6'4 scrumhalfs also to prove a point but my comment remains the same, it would be pretty ludicrous to switch to a prop over a 6 at 6'5

he isn't a good enough athlete to be a pro backrow.

Alex Hodgman is listed at 6'5 as is Ofa Tu'ungafasi and Pone Fa'amausili

he isn't a good enough athlete to be a pro backrow.

Alex Hodgman is listed at 6'5 as is Ofa Tu'ungafasi and Pone Fa'amausili

How bad an athlete could you be where becoming a 6'5 prop would give you a better chance of a career opportunity then improving your athleticism with conditioning and s&C etc

Wikipedia listed them as 6'4 so thats what i grabbed, still....barely any, how many averagely athletic 6's do you see compared to 6'5 props...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    That waster from Bruff did the same.

#BeKind

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

How bad an athlete could you be where becoming a 6'5 prop would give you a better chance of a career opportunity then improving your athleticism with conditioning and s&C etc

Wikipedia listed them as 6'4 so thats what i grabbed, still....barely any, how many averagely athletic 6's do you see compared to 6'5 props...

Ask Andrew Sheridan and Carl Hayman. There are plenty of backrows who couldn't scrummage at the top level too.

if he was athletic enough to be a backrow he'd have played there when he was younger.. it's not difficult, not everyone is a pro level backrow regardless of height.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think its more the case that pro-level backrows are athletic freaks, difficult to compete with..

• Advertisement

hahashake wrote: »
    Ask Andrew Sheridan and Carl Hayman. There are plenty of backrows who couldn't scrummage at the top level too.

Yep your right this guy is likely to be the next Andrew Sheridan or Carl Heyman

AdamD wrote: »
    I think its more the case that pro-level backrows are athletic freaks, difficult to compete with..

The best are athletic freaks, plenty arent, more averagely athletic blindside lumps then there are Carl Heymans or Andrew Sheridans and its not even close lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Ben Betts is off to Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Ben Betts is off to Munster

Murphy* , sorry, force of habit

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Yep your right this guy is likely to be the next Andrew Sheridan or Carl Heyman

Honestly have no clue and maybe you know the player's strengths. But I do know that Conor Murray is taller than CJ Stander. A literal 1-dimensional evaluation of a player's best position pointless. There are different body types and skillsets/strengths. Cheslin Kolbe may have been told he was too small for a modern day wing and to move in to 9 but now he's the best in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

LFG Leavy!!!

Playing ok. But coughing up the ball at the worst possible moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Playing ok. But coughing up the ball at the worst possible moment.

Yeah, some of these guys have barely played in months though so to be expected. If it sticks we'll see scores as we're making metres for fun.

• Advertisement

Toner and Josh Murphy are putting in huge hits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement