Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I really don't see what the big deal is. Club wins a championship, the players, staff etc go out celebrating. There's a lot of a drinking, a scrap, some urinating, probably some nudity and some puking and no doubt a lot of sore heads and dodgy stomachs the next morning. Sounds fairly normal to me.

The only big deal is pissing on a stranger (allegedly). If whoever it was had pissed on another player you could write it off as end of season bantz but some poor guy minding his own business is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Maybe normal is the wrong word. Unsurprising might be better. I've had a few team mates over the years that were notorious for pissing or getting nude. There was one guy I went to university with who would piss on his friends' legs when he was drunk. Only stopped doing it when one of them retaliated with pooh. It very funny.

The mistake the un-named Leinster player made was doing it to a member of the public. Should have pissed on a team mate.

If drinking leads to pissing or crapping on people, then that person has a serious problem with alcohol as that's not normal behaviour. Being a sportsperson is not a mitigating factor. If other players can go on the tear and have a good time with no antisocial consequences, then others can too.

Sponsors and stakeholders don't want affiliation to people who hospitalise, assault or piss on people or clubs who turn a blind eye to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I would personally prefer to have piss on my leg than be in a hospital with potential brain damage, although of course neither happening is preferable. None of this is surprising to me, you could swap leinster with any other GAA, rugby or soccer team and I would not be surprised and I've heard worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,037 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its two alleged assaults, writing it off as shyts and giggles is not satisfactory.

Young lads arriving in to the sub-academy need to be assured that this is not shrugged off as the norm and so do the supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The only big deal is pissing on a stranger (allegedly). If whoever it was had pissed on another player you could write it off as end of season bantz but some poor guy minding his own business is a different matter.

Well I mean while none of it is really condonable there’s a huge middle ground between a team mate and a stranger minding their own business

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I would personally prefer to have piss on my leg than be in a hospital with potential brain damage, although of course neither happening is preferable. None of this is surprising to me, you could swap leinster with any other GAA, rugby or soccer team and I would not be surprised and I've heard worse.

Without wanting to downplay it, I don't think there was ever any suggestion of brain damage. The guy got a scan before he was discharged.

This is painful stuff.

Folks, no one is condoning stupid activity while drunk. Personally I think if by your 30's you can't handle yourself after a few pints then you either have almost never drank, or you need to accept that it might not be for you.

When sports stars are involved in things like this, it becomes difficult to determine who has an issue with the actions of the player and who is using it as a stick to beat a team they don't like with. In the absence of much concrete evidence at this point, it really says more about the objectivity of many of the commentators than it does about anything else.

I'm inclined to believe some of what I've read about because it fits with things I've reliably heard previously. I don't support Leinster in a drone like fashion, I have standards and I am mindful of those standards when I consider my support for a team. Leinster as a team have largely surpassed those standards with the attitude and actions of the team, coaches and staff both on and off the field.

I've absolutely no doubt that if there are credible accusations they'll be investigated. Until then I think it's good to discuss what we know - but a lot of the last few pages is conjecture, angst and mudslinging which achieves nothing.

To pivot to a more optimistic topic - my Leinster tourists on a Summer 2019 Lions tour:

Cian Healy
    Tadgh Furlong
    James Ryan
    Johnny Sexton
    Garry Ringrose

/discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I would agree with those and would be surprised if one of JvDF and Leavy (if still playing) joins them. Henshaw is possible too, but he doesnt have much Lions credit in the bank.

I would agree with those and would be surprised if one of JvDF and Leavy (if still playing) joins them. Henshaw is possible too, but he doesnt have much Lions credit in the bank.

I could imagine Larmour taking the wildcard spot and carrying the team mascot if the tour was this year (similar to Hogg in Australia).

He had a breathtaking opening year, and whilst he hasn't turned in scores and breaks like he did in 17/18 - his overall game has developed and come on a good deal. He isn't Kearney or Earls just yet, but he is well on his way to being the answer to the question posed by both of their inevitable retirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭PMC83

This is painful stuff.

Folks, no one is condoning stupid activity while drunk. Personally I think if by your 30's you can't handle yourself after a few pints then you either have almost never drank, or you need to accept that it might not be for you.

When sports stars are involved in things like this, it becomes difficult to determine who has an issue with the actions of the player and who is using it as a stick to beat a team they don't like with. In the absence of much concrete evidence at this point, it really says more about the objectivity of many of the commentators than it does about anything else.

I'm inclined to believe some of what I've read about because it fits with things I've reliably heard previously. I don't support Leinster in a drone like fashion, I have standards and I am mindful of those standards when I consider my support for a team. Leinster as a team have largely surpassed those standards with the attitude and actions of the team, coaches and staff both on and off the field.

I've absolutely no doubt that if there are credible accusations they'll be investigated. Until then I think it's good to discuss what we know - but a lot of the last few pages is conjecture, angst and mudslinging which achieves nothing.

To pivot to a more optimistic topic - my Leinster tourists on a Summer 2019 Lions tour:

Cian Healy
    Tadgh Furlong
    James Ryan
    Johnny Sexton
    Garry Ringrose

/discuss

I don't see Sexton there unfortunately. Too many other decent 10s out there these days. Finn Russel playing really well, will be an interesting 2 years for him..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,675 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Cian Healy
    Tadgh Furlong
    James Ryan
    Johnny Sexton
    Garry Ringrose

/discuss

VdF at 7. One of the most relentless opensides in the NH at the moment.

PMC83 wrote: »
    I don't see Sexton there unfortunately. Too many other decent 10s out there these days. Finn Russel playing really well, will be an interesting 2 years for him..

Don't think Finn Russell is remotely close to Sexton.

My optics from the New Zealand tour is that Sexton isn't the easiest to gel with, but when push comes to shove he's the best decision making 10 in the world.

Owen Farrell might have taken that mantle. It's hard to tell because he plays with such an incredibly brutal pack. Some of Sexton's best performances this season came in the early months when he wasn't surrounded by the international group of forwards he's accustomed too. He definitely still has the touch but like everyone else in Ireland seems to be struggling with accuracy and intent.

I think if things level off around him we have a good chance of seeing his best in the next 12 months. If it was the Lions on the horizon and not another world cup I think we'd see it there and he'd be very tight with Farrell for the start.

Farrell really has added significantly to his box of tricks and ingenuity, but Sexton has been doing it better and for longer. Ringrose spots an overlap and Leinster possibly win that Sarries v Leinster final, Sexton is still delivering at the top of his game.

VdF at 7. One of the most relentless opensides in the NH at the moment.

I wanted to put him in, but he has had little game time and there are more consistent options available to selectors.

If VDF had a significant number of caps under his belt then I could appreciate him slotting in, but unlike Sean O'Brien he doesn't have the kind of credit to enjoy automatic selection when fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,675 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I wanted to put him in, but he has had little game time and there are more consistent options available to selectors.

If VDF had a significant number of caps under his belt then I could appreciate him slotting in, but unlike Sean O'Brien he doesn't have the kind of credit to enjoy automatic selection when fit.

I don't think I'd have him in the Test squad, but I think he's almost a lock for the midweek teams.

England are having a blindside crisis, Underhill and Curry are extremely green and probably not at that level.

Tiupuric is the Test starting 7 from Wales, Davies/Jenkins aren't at that level.

Hamish Watson could arguably put his hand up for contention.

Openside across the 4 nations as a whole is a lot weaker than it was 2 years ago.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,563 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jack Conan could have a good shout at travelling.

Apart from Bill V, there hasnt been any stand out 8 in the 6n this year, Moriarity was workmanlike in a good welsh back row...
    Scotland shared the 8 jersey between bradbury, wilson and strauss with none being a stand out.

CJ has been flogged to death in both the irish and munster system, and over the season i dont think it controversial to say conan out shone him in many aspects of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Not sure vdf would be a guarantee to travel, a lot of competition in the 7 shirt, both curry and underhill are quality operators as is tipuric, vanish Watson and not to forget navidi.. it will come down to who’s in the better form when lions squad is being announced all in and around as good as eachother

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Don't think Finn Russell is remotely close to Sexton.

My optics from the New Zealand tour is that Sexton isn't the easiest to gel with, but when push comes to shove he's the best decision making 10 in the world.

Owen Farrell might have taken that mantle. It's hard to tell because he plays with such an incredibly brutal pack. Some of Sexton's best performances this season came in the early months when he wasn't surrounded by the international group of forwards he's accustomed too. He definitely still has the touch but like everyone else in Ireland seems to be struggling with accuracy and intent.

I think if things level off around him we have a good chance of seeing his best in the next 12 months. If it was the Lions on the horizon and not another world cup I think we'd see it there and he'd be very tight with Farrell for the start.

Farrell really has added significantly to his box of tricks and ingenuity, but Sexton has been doing it better and for longer. Ringrose spots an overlap and Leinster possibly win that Sarries v Leinster final, Sexton is still delivering at the top of his game.

I think Farrell has been better than sexton for some time now, the Leinster pack has a lot more caps than the sarries one so it’s not right to say the sarries pack is the reason for Farrell being such a world class operator.

Lucas44 wrote: »
    I think Farrell has been better than sexton for some time now, the Leinster pack has a lot more caps than the sarries one so it’s not right to say the sarries pack is the reason for Farrell being such a world class operator.

Farrell has been better this season but has not yet reached the heights displayed by Sexton last season.

Sarries pack has plenty of firepower, I could increase Leinster caps by switching Bent in for Furlong, it's not a comprehensively relevant metric.

Farrell has always been a good but not great distributing 10, he's closed some of the gap on Sexton in this regards and his kicking is closer.

Still not the full article however.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Sarries pack has plenty of firepower, I could increase Leinster caps by switching Bent in for Furlong, it's not a comprehensively relevant metric.

I'd completely agree with this tbh, evidenced by the fact that 3 or 4 of the Sarries tight 5 would likely be starting for a 2019 Lions team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Jesus people do like putting the boot in when they get a chance on Sexton

Only 6 months ago he collected the World Player of the Year and Farrell wasn't even in the conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭clsmooth

A 36 year old Sexton on the next Lions tour seems a push. He’s still playing some great stuff, but realistically, you’d expect to see a drop off in form over the next 2 years. Remember how ROGs form seemed to drop off the edge of a cliff at the top level around that age? He started losing distance on his kicking game too which was a big problem for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Not sure vdf would be a guarantee to travel, a lot of competition in the 7 shirt, both curry and underhill are quality operators as is tipuric, vanish Watson and not to forget navidi.. it will come down to who’s in the better form when lions squad is being announced all in and around as good as eachother

Curry, The Mish and Josh Navidi are not in the same conversation as Vdf. Tipuric and Underhill are a fair call.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Only 6 months ago he collected the World Player of the Year and Farrell wasn't even in the conversation.

It's hardly like Farrell is a Premiership dirt tracker tho. Both Sexton and Farrell are among the 3 best 10's in the world with Barrett imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

How much value do you put on the WPoTY award in the years when an Irish player doesn't win it?

I'd need to be water boarded for hours before I could name the last five winners before Sexton. I'd have a stab at Richie McCoy, Kieran Reed, Dan Carter but that's it.

How much value do you put on the WPoTY award in the years when an Irish player doesn't win it?

I'd need to be water boarded for hours before I could name the last five winners before Sexton. I'd have a stab at Richie McCoy, Kieran Reed, Dan Carter but that's it.

Sexton won

6 nations, Pro 14, Heineken cup, southern hemp tour and beat NZ that season

He was also one of the best players on the pitch for every game he played

I put a fairly big value on it,

Sexton will never be as good as McCoy,lovely crisps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Curry, The Mish and Josh Navidi are not in the same conversation as Vdf. Tipuric and Underhill are a fair call.

Curry was one of England’s best players this 6N, he’s probably a bit overhyped but he outplayed VDF when they met. He’s only 20 as well absolutely a fair shout for something happening in 2 years.

aloooof wrote: »
    It's hardly like Farrell is a Premiership dirt tracker tho. Both Sexton and Farrell are among the 3 best 10's in the world with Barrett imo.

I didn’t say that he was, but he wasn’t in the running and had a fairly bad season with England. Even the November AI he was hardly lighting up the place, bad tackling is all I can remember him for

So not sure how Farrell has been better than sexton for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Sexton won

6 nations, Pro 14, Heineken cup, southern hemp tour and beat NZ that season

He was also one of the best players on the pitch for every game he played

I put a fairly big value on it,

Sexton will never be as good as McCoy,lovely crisps

I didn't ask you for a Sexton hagiography, I asked you how much you cared about it in the years when Sexton didn't win it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Any update on the pissing incident in Cassidy's pub last week or the young guy being knocked out by x player. Classy sport.

MOD: Banned for trolling. No need to respond to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

TCM wrote: »
    Any update on the pissing incident in Cassidy's pub last week or the young guy being knocked out by x player. Classy sport.

Hi Ewan, we appreciate your poor attempt at trolling, but we're busy at the moment. Please call back later if/when you have something meaningful to say. We won't hold our breath.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement