Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭WhoamI2022

Whooooo that poked a bee's nest. I was responding to a specific poster who I have seen mention a number of times across multiple thread that Healy is sh*t based on one bad day at the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

That’s Irish rugby for you, one bad performance and all hell breaks lose.

Stan27 wrote: »
    Anyone read sean o briens book ?

I'd rather piss my money away at a bar

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    That’s Irish rugby for you, one bad performance and all hell breaks lose.

Sport is supposed to be enjoyed, a lot of people on here seem to lose the run of themselves if a team loses....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

WhoamI2022 wrote: »
    Sport is supposed to be enjoyed, a lot of people on here seem to lose the run of themselves if a team loses....

there are definitely people out there who are delighted when the irish rugby team losses... and then come on here to post.

one guy even revelled in the "great result" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Whooooo that poked a bee's nest. I was responding to a specific poster who I have seen mention a number of times across multiple thread that Healy is sh*t based on one bad day at the office.

That's fine, but you don't need to invent stuff to counter-act that.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    there are definitely people out there who are delighted when the irish rugby team losses... and then come on here to post.

one guy even revelled in the "great result" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Great result that Ireland lost?

aloooof wrote: »
    That's fine, but you don't need to invent stuff to counter-act that.

I wasn't inventing stuff, read my post it is fairly clear.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,466 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Great result that Ireland lost?

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

and it's inaccurate.

Saracens 1st team were barely playing in the prem and the prem competition was a joke in the lead up to the QF finals due to scheduling and volume of games.

• Advertisement

bayern wrote: »
    and it's inaccurate.

Saracens 1st team were barely playing in the prem and the prem competition was a joke in the lead up to the QF finals due to scheduling and volume of games.

This is what you have posted so far?

this is utter bollix, especially last september.

Leinster choked in the 1st half and the scrum was targeted and dismantled by an elite front row.

Now did only scrummaging against Ulster and Munster in the lead up to the QF help, almost certainly not.

It's only leinster's fault, they choked in the biggest game of the season that they were supposedly planning for months for against a severely weakened saracens side.

Maybe it might be time to relax a little? If it was such an awful side then how come Racing didn't steam roll them?

As I already said it was a post to respond to a specific poster. The Sarries match is done and dusted.

It does seem to be a thing of late the last year or so, prior to 2019 if the team lost while we were disappointed it wouldn’t be the end of the world and we would just get up and go again. Now any time we lose a match the complete overreaction is incredible, these same people kick the team when it’s down would be saying “let’s not get ahead of ourselves” if we won in a similar fashion to the team that beat us. I still maintain I think the reason the team is still getting crap is Farrell was part of the previous coaching staff, you can sense the bitterness in all the posts.

I’m at the point of not even looking at this forum if we lose anymore as it’s the most toxic thing imaginable.

and it's inaccurate.

And it must be said, if the premiership was so good at preparing teams for the CC why do they suck so hard in the champions cup with the exception of Saracens?

And it must be said, if the premiership was so good at preparing teams for the CC why do they suck so hard in the champions cup with the exception of Saracens?

The English teams, and then French don't bother in the majority. The excuse is they don't have the squad so one loss and they throw in the towel. Too many games etc. Sarries as we have found out bent the rules a little to make sure they had enought players for both competitions. Exeter seem to be the only club who can actually manage a budget and a club.

It was fairly clear and also fairly inaccurate. Which front rows that Saracens played do you think are so superior to Munster and Ulster?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Or maybe dare I say it Saracens were just the better side on the day? Is that allowed to be the outcome or must it always be something bigger every time an Irish side loses a match?

I can't argue against the observation that Sarries were the better side on the day, but i think there's a bi more to it than that.

I think we have overlooked the fact that the scrum has become a weakness rather than a strength over time. Similarly at Ireland level, when paying top opposition, it's much more likely to give away penalties and go backwards and poor ball than it is to go forward, win penalties and provide good front foot ball.

Furlong's absence is certainly a part of that.

I can't argue against the observation that Sarries were the better side on the day, but i think there's a bi more to it than that.

I think we have overlooked the fact that the scrum has become a weakness rather than a strength over time. Similarly at Ireland level, when paying top opposition, it's much more likely to give away penalties and go backwards and poor ball than it is to go forward, win penalties and provide good front foot ball.

Furlong's absence is certainly a part of that.

There isn’t more to it than that, Leinster never get their scrum mangled that badly before or since which should tell you that this was a one off because Leinster just weren’t at the races.

Has that really become a trend because at the weekend the scrum went no differently than what it would normally do vs France, win our own ball, hold our own on France’s ball for the most part but come unstuck in a-few scrums.

The English teams, and then French don't bother in the majority. The excuse is they don't have the squad so one loss and they throw in the towel. Too many games etc. Sarries as we have found out bent the rules a little to make sure they had enought players for both competitions. Exeter seem to be the only club who can actually manage a budget and a club.

So they lose on purpose? Exeter have been targeting Europe for years and up until this season could never escape the pool stage. If like you said they teams in the premiership were su good it would be reflected in Europe but it’s pretty much always Saracens and only Saracens.

So they lose on purpose? Exeter have been targeting Europe for years and up until this season could never escape the pool stage. If like you said they teams in the premiership were su good it would be reflected in Europe but it’s pretty much always Saracens and only Saracens.

So who said the Premiership was so good? I said it was a better quality to the Pro14 which it is.

It is common knowledge that both English and French teams quickly throw in the towel if they lose a game in Europe. That's why if you have a French team in group everyone wants to play them away at the end of the group when they have lost interest. A few exceptions like Toulouse/Racing/Clermont.

Same in England, Exeter and Sarries tried in Europe. The likes of Wasps/Bath etc, if they lose a game they start rolling out the B team

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

I think comparing the English alongside the French in how they perform away from home is...... to put it mildly incorrect.

• Advertisement

So who said the Premiership was so good? I said it was a better quality to the Pro14 which it is.

It is common knowledge that both English and French teams quickly throw in the towel if they lose a game in Europe. That's why if you have a French team in group everyone wants to play them away at the end of the group when they have lost interest. A few exceptions like Toulouse/Racing/Clermont.

Same in England, Exeter and Sarries tried in Europe. The likes of Wasps/Bath etc, if they lose a game they start rolling out the B team

It’s really not, it’s looks decent because most of the teams are equally mediocre. They just are really good at selling the brand on social media. In Europe we see just where those teams really are. If the premiership was such a high standard the premiership teams would dominate Pro14 teams in Europe regularly, they don’t not because they don’t care but because they aren’t good enough.

Wasps and Bath just aren’t very good. That’s the reality.

It’s known that the French teams do, not the English.

Moving the goalposts here; you didn't offer a straight Premiership vs Pro 14 comparison.

You said the teams Sarries played in the build up (and in particular, the front rows) were better (the implication being substantially better) than the teams Leinster played. I really don't think that to be the case, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

The Irish are soft.

Moving the goalposts here; you didn't offer a straight Premiership vs Pro 14 comparison.

You said the teams Sarries played in the build up (and in particular, the front rows) were better (the implication being substantially better) than the teams Leinster played. I really don't think that to be the case, tbh.

You don't.

You don't.

Correct, and nothing you've posted has come close to changing me mind. Can you name these teams (or front rows) that Saracens played that you think are a different level to Munster and Ulster?

Correct, and nothing you've posted has come close to changing me mind. Can you name these teams (or front rows) that Saracens played that you think are a different level to Munster and Ulster?

It's the Leinster thread. As I already said my post was in response to Healy comments. You seem to want to spend the day going down a rabbit hole because I inadvertently made some reference to Munster, I personally don't.

It's the Leinster thread. As I already said my post was in response to Healy comments. You seem to want to spend the day going down a rabbit hole because I inadvertently made some reference to Munster, I personally don't.

You made a false claim and you've been pulled up on it. If it wasn't, you'd have named the teams that are on "a different level" to Munster and Ulster by name, by now.

EDIT: Apologies if that sounds a bit spiky. All i've asked is for you the name the teams you've referenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Soooooooo, Monday Night Rugby eh!?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Soooooooo, Monday Night Rugby eh!?

Glasgow have gone downhill the last few seasons. I don't expect it will be as big of a challange as it used to be a few seasons back. Good chance to see H Byrne get some more time at 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Glasgow have gone downhill the last few seasons. I don't expect it will be as big of a challange as it used to be a few seasons back. Good chance to see H Byrne get some more time at 10

Glasgow got 7 internationals back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement