Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I assume that Charlie Ryan will move into the Leinster academy for next season. His showing last night was excellent. A real nuts and bolts display with big plays at important times. The blockdown and subsequent line out steal that led to our first try was huge.

It's a curious situation though in so far that we finally have real potential at lock already in Baird, Dunne and, to a lesser extent, Dowlng. James Ryan is also only a kid still in the grand scheme of things. With that in mind, I wonder if Leinster will have to mull it over before bringing Ryan into the fold. But I don't think we can afford to pass up on a 6'7" talented lock. He's 21 next February which would mean he would be moving towards 24 by the time he finished his full academy rotation; if brought in, I'm not sure he'd do the full three years.

I was a little surprised that they chose to leave Dowling in the academy squad for a final year after giving him several senior appearances over the course of the season whilst they promoted someone like Kelleher with less game time.

From the existing U20 bunch I would imagine we'll look at Clarkson, Ryan, Moloney, Watters and Turner? Watters was quite impressive when he came on last night and will benefit from the fact that there are no back row players in the academy now with Penny promoted.

Could Turner potentially be another victim of an overstock of centres with Hawkshaw, Mullin and Tommy O'Brien in the academy along with COB and JOB having been promoted this summer to the senior panel? I would imagine there's probably the one or two lads who will come straight in from school also. Wasn't Cosgrave the star of the show for Michaels and a centre also?

• Site Banned Posts: 25 worldcupfever

Buer wrote: »
    I assume that Charlie Ryan will move into the Leinster academy for next season. His showing last night was excellent. A real nuts and bolts display with big plays at important times. The blockdown and subsequent line out steal that led to our first try was huge.

It's a curious situation though in so far that we finally have real potential at lock already in Baird, Dunne and, to a lesser extent, Dowlng. James Ryan is also only a kid still in the grand scheme of things. With that in mind, I wonder if Leinster will have to mull it over before bringing Ryan into the fold. But I don't think we can afford to pass up on a 6'7" talented lock. He's 21 next February which would mean he would be moving towards 24 by the time he finished his full academy rotation; if brought in, I'm not sure he'd do the full three years.

I was a little surprised that they chose to leave Dowling in the academy squad for a final year after giving him several senior appearances over the course of the season whilst they promoted someone like Kelleher with less game time.

From the existing U20 bunch I would imagine we'll look at Clarkson, Ryan, Moloney, Watters and Turner? Watters was quite impressive when he came on last night and will benefit from the fact that there are no back row players in the academy now with Penny promoted.

Could Turner potentially be another victim of an overstock of centres with Hawkshaw, Mullin and Tommy O'Brien in the academy along with COB and JOB having been promoted this summer to the senior panel? I would imagine there's probably the one or two lads who will come straight in from school also. Wasn't Cosgrave the star of the show for Michaels and a centre also?

incoming class afaik:

Tom Clarkson(TH Prop) - u19
    John McKee(Hooker) - u19
    Charlie Ryan(Lock) - u20
    Martin Moloney(Backrow) - u20
    Cormac Foley(Scrumhalf) - u20
    Liam Turner(Centre-Wing) - u20

Ronan Watters needs to have a big JWC, didn't have an offer heading to WC afaik.

Cosgrave is still in school next season and long term he is being looked at as a fullback.

Top 5 players leaving school are:

Alex Soroka(Lock/U18/Belvedere College)
    Mark Hernan(Openside/U19/St. Michaels College)
    Ben Murphy(Scrumhalf/U18/Pres Bray)
    Mick O'Gara(Centre/U19/Pres Bray)
    Andrew Smith(Back Three/U19/St. Michaels College)

none have offers to join academy at the moment afaik but could join after preseason like Hawkshaw did last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

James Ryan is also only a kid still in the grand scheme of things.

Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Nice!

Ryan is more of a goat than a kid :D

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It's mad that Ryan would have only been graduating from the Academy now had he completed his full term.

Absolute monster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Could you define kid. Thanks.

In terms of recent leinster 2nd row talent at under-20 level:

James Ryan
    Ryan Baird
    Jack Dunne
    Charles Ryan
    Oisin Dowling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

"Sorry I hit you mate"

"No problem. Please don't do it again"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

"Sorry I hit you mate"

"No problem. Please don't do it again"

If even that. They can't do much about the former employee, only the Academy lad. So they are obviously happy that his behaviour was acceptable. Anything beyond that is between the 2 men themselves. Obviously the other incident is an IRFU one rather than a Leinster one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

molloyjh wrote: »
    If even that. They can't do much about the former employee, only the Academy lad. So they are obviously happy that his behaviour was acceptable. Anything beyond that is between the 2 men themselves. Obviously the other incident is an IRFU one rather than a Leinster one.

Well, I'm not sure we can say that. He might have been warned as to his future conduct, fined, suspended or some other sort of internal measure.

Well, I'm not sure we can say that. He might have been warned as to his future conduct, fined, suspended or some other sort of internal measure.

He wasnt, player wasnt at fault and is not that type of character.

He wasnt, player wasnt at fault and is not that type of character.

Surely he's a bit miffed that his assailant got clean away with what seems to have been a pretty scummy act?

As for the other incident:

"the Irish Rugby Football Union [is liaising] with Leinster about another incident involving a current Leinster player, who is an IRFU employee."

So when does a current Leinster player magically become a former Leinster player?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Surely he's a bit miffed that his assailant got clean away with what seems to have been a pretty scummy act?

As for the other incident:

"the Irish Rugby Football Union [is liaising] with Leinster about another incident involving a current Leinster player, who is an IRFU employee."

So when does a current Leinster player magically become a former Leinster player?

When his contract expires after the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,675 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The Cookie Monster becomes the Hook-ie Monster.

I'll see myself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Faugheen wrote: »

In the library with the candlestick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

There was only a couple of possibilities.
    I’d love to know how this is resolved to Jack Dunne’s satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

The whole thing leaves a bit of a sour taste. Ex-player assaults an academy lad then Leinster HQ do their best to sweep it under the carpet. Two wrongs don’t make a right but they do seem to make a wright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

swiwi_ wrote: »
    The whole thing leaves a bit of a sour taste. Ex-player assaults an academy lad then Leinster HQ do their best to sweep it under the carpet. Two wrongs don’t make a right but they do seem to make a wright.

Its a storm in a tea cup. Hardly even worth making the papers but sure its a slow week.

Maybe if it was current players you might have a story but the guy has left 8 years now....

I remember a number of podcast with BOD, Ferg, etc having a laugh about different times when they knocked each other out....didn't see that making the papers!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

durkadurka wrote: »
    I’d love to know how this is resolved to Jack Dunne’s satisfaction.

Well, he had three options;
    1. Sue Leinster for injury sustained at a work function, and end his career before it even starts.
    2. Insist that Leinster launch a covert op to the Cook Islands and perform an extraordinary rendition on Wright.
    3. Just forget the whole thing and move on.

Realistically, what else was going to happen only the matter would be closed and everyone moves on?

The other question is, it's been reported that Wright knocked Dunne out. That doesn't necessarily mean Wright assaulted him.

It's going to be a long summer if this is the crap people are going to talk about every day.

Move on, Jack Dunne has.

The other question is, it's been reported that Wright knocked Dunne out. That doesn't necessarily mean Wright assaulted him.

You seem very keen to downplay this. It's clear as day what happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Is it? Do you have access to any more facts than anyone else? You seem more than happy to assume that you know what happened. Maybe you're right, but then maybe you're not. We have no idea what happened in reality. We already saw 2 very different supposedly factual accounts on this thread alone. It certainly looks and sounds bad. But unless Dunne wants to press formal charges against a guy who lives on the other side of the world there really isn't any more left in this. This isn't something worth spending time on really. It's a one off incident that isn't the norm with the organisation. And given that the alleged assailant has no ties to Leinster any more then there really isn't anything they can do other than make sure their own house is in order on this case.

The other incident deserves a bit more attention as it isn't the first time this has been alleged. But again, this is a singular individual and isn't representative of the organisation or the sport. There have been a few people who seem to want to make more of it than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Regardless of the details, it shouldn't have happened and some sort of sanctions should be implemented against the culprits. These situations don't "just happen". They happen because someone is completely out of order. If Dunne instigated it, he should be reprimanded/fined.

I appreciate there's f*ck all that could be done in relation to Wright given he lives abroad and Dunne was never going to take legal action. But the optics of Leinster bringing him up on stage the next night at the function are poor. A little bit more PR savvy wouldn't have gone amiss.

Leinster were put in an awkward position over the whole thing but undoubtedly could have handled it a little more smartly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its all terrible, terrible stuff. But does anyone actually care? I'll hardly be losing sleep over it

AdamD wrote: »
    Its all terrible, terrible stuff. But does anyone actually care? I'll hardly be losing sleep over it

I think some people are determined to be outraged over this as we are conditioned to react to everything nowadays.

Ultimately this was an unacceptable act that happened in a private setting and was dealt with in a private setting

Maybe he's angling for a job as Maria Bailey's new PR person. Tough challenge, but the money will be good!

Maybe he's angling for a job as Maria Bailey's new PR person. Tough challenge, but the money will be good!

Jesus she'd has had some fall from grace.... tried to sue them too!

• Advertisement

interested to see who will be 3rd scrumhalf next season, most would assume Hugh O'Sullivan but think Paddy Patterson was more impressive than him last season and looks to be a more natural 9 and a better/quicker decision maker.

Given leinster approached Craig Casey, they clearly aren't happy with the 9 position... behind JGP/Luke.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement