Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

interested to see who will be 3rd scrumhalf next season, most would assume Hugh O'Sullivan but think Paddy Patterson was more impressive than him last season and looks to be a more natural 9 and a better/quicker decision maker.

Given leinster approached Craig Casey, they clearly aren't happy with the 9 position... behind JGP/Luke.

Not too much between HOS and Patterson. Neither have impressed me much but neither have gotten much time.

It was an odd one about Leo approaching Casey alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

AdamD wrote: »
    Its all terrible, terrible stuff. But does anyone actually care? I'll hardly be losing sleep over it

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN

No, no one really cares. It's mildly embarrassing for Leinster but once the Joe Duffy brigade find something else to be absolutely shocked and appalled by, that will be an end to it.

• Site Banned Posts: 25 worldcupfever

Not too much between HOS and Patterson. Neither have impressed me much but neither have gotten much time.

not odd at all from my point of view, best underage 9 this decade plus it keeps munster honest.

Patterson looks to get the ball away faster from the breakdown to me when compared to Hughie who seems to be more ponderous and slower at making decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

The other question is, it's been reported that Wright knocked Dunne out. That doesn't necessarily mean Wright assaulted him.

Wright gazed longingly across the bar at Dunne. Their eyes met and pulses started racing. So much so that Dunne went into ventricular fibrillation, collapsed, hit his head on the bar stool and was knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not sure about that, Casey looks a serious talent, some speed on his passing. No harm in sounding him out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Going from the character of the victim (and that would be taken into account in any court proceedings) we can safely say that this was an unprovoked assault. I don't think Jack Dunne is known for kicking off on the field or off it and his character attests to this. It would lack foresight for the Branch to have brought the assailant up on stage the day after the event occurred. It would be sending the message that violence is acceptable to all Leinster players past, present and future and that what you have achieved on the pitch trumps liability off it. It is irrelevant that he is not in the coutnry any more - the message is loud and clear for all to see and hear.

It is so often the case that in these events the victim is too quick to shrug off the attack and forgive the assailant. It's a kind of Stockholm sydrome where the attacked accepts any injury inflicted for the good of the organization. But he doesn't, in this instance, have the foresight to see the knock on effects of not pursuing the perpetrator for his crime. This wasn't an act of self defence and witnesses have attested to that fact. We have heard from some that his name was asked and by others that he skipped him in the queue and by others that it was completely unprovoked.

When you are becoming a professional player you make a name for yourself and being a walkover doesn't bode well for further attacks that might take place against the victim on the pitch or off it. As a second row you often have to be an enforcer and I hope this isn't held against the victim in future selections in big games. As we know rugby is a rough sport and no quarters are given by opposition if they spot weakness or what might be seen to be weakness. As we know Jack is an affable lad and from his actions after the event we can see clearly he doesn't seek conflict by pursuing the assailant.

I hope for the good of the game and the organization that some sort of sanction is put on Stan Wright for what is a an act of thuggery. It wasn't ana act of self defence and no attempt has been made to pursue a case against him. Leinster Rugby have fallen well short in this event if they haven't sought to inflict some sort of sanction against the thug Wright. If it was my son I would be seeking a criminal case against Wright and damages from Leinster to ensure this doesn't happen again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Granny15 wrote: »
    Going from the character of the victim (and that would be taken into account in any court proceedings) we can safely say that this was an unprovoked assault. I don't think Jack Dunne is known for kicking off on the field or off it and his character attests to this. It would lack foresight for the Branch to have brought the assailant up on stage the day after the event occurred. It would be sending the message that violence is acceptable to all Leinster players past, present and future and that what you have achieved on the pitch trumps liability off it. It is irrelevant that he is not in the coutnry any more - the message is loud and clear for all to see and hear.

It is so often the case that in these events the victim is too quick to shrug off the attack and forgive the assailant. It's a kind of Stockholm sydrome where the attacked accepts any injury inflicted for the good of the organization. But he doesn't, in this instance, have the foresight to see the knock on effects of not pursuing the perpetrator for his crime. This wasn't an act of self defence and witnesses have attested to that fact. We have heard from some that his name was asked and by others that he skipped him in the queue and by others that it was completely unprovoked.

When you are becoming a professional player you make a name for yourself and being a walkover doesn't bode well for further attacks that might take place against the victim on the pitch or off it. As a second row you often have to be an enforcer and I hope this isn't held against the victim in future selections in big games. As we know rugby is a rough sport and no quarters are given by opposition if they spot weakness or what might be seen to be weakness. As we know Jack is an affable lad and from his actions after the event we can see clearly he doesn't seek conflict by pursuing the assailant.

I hope for the good of the game and the organization that some sort of sanction is put on Stan Wright for what is a an act of thuggery. It wasn't ana act of self defence and no attempt has been made to pursue a case against him. Leinster Rugby have fallen well short in this event if they haven't sought to inflict some sort of sanction against the thug Wright. If it was my son I would be seeking a criminal case against Wright and damages from Leinster to ensure this doesn't happen again in the future.

I've never heard so much ****e in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've asked this already in this thread - what possible sanction do you think Leinster could impose on Wright, given he hasn't played for them in eight years lives on literally the other side of the world???

FWIW, I think they made a huge mistake in still allowing him to attend the Champion's Dinner after what happened and their mealy-mouth dodging of the question of why they allowed it is actually embarrassing from a PR perspective. They would have come out of this a lot better if they'd quietly cancelled his attendance at the function and then been able to point to the fact that they did in their later statement. Tbh, even taking the assault out of the equation, he should never have been let near the stage on the night, he was absolutely incoherent. It was actually uncomfortable to watch.

speaking of Jack Dunne, i'm looking forward to seeing his progression next season was very impressive for a 20 year old lock last season and given his size/athleticism he has a lot of potential going forward.

combined with Ryan Baird and Charlie Ryan, there is a lot of young talent at the position going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Wright gazed longingly across the bar at Dunne. Their eyes met and pulses started racing. So much so that Dunne went into ventricular fibrillation, collapsed, hit his head on the bar stool and was knocked out.

It could have been worse.

Wright could have hit Dunne with a handbag.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've asked this already in this thread - what possible sanction do you think Leinster could impose on Wright, given he hasn't played for them in eight years lives on literally the other side of the world???

FWIW, I think they made a huge mistake in still allowing him to attend the Champion's Dinner after what happened and their mealy-mouth dodging of the question of why they allowed it is actually embarrassing from a PR perspective. They would have come out of this a lot better if they'd quietly cancelled his attendance at the function and then been able to point to the fact that they did in their later statement. Tbh, even taking the assault out of the equation, he should never have been let near the stage on the night, he was absolutely incoherent. It was actually uncomfortable to watch.

They can assist with a criminal investigation and ensure this thug never enters the country again without getting locked up. It has been swept under the carpet so as not to cause any negative press against the club without regard for what the victim might think and feel. True it might have been JAcks idea not to pursue it any further but I wonder what advice he has been receiving and if any influence was put on him by Leo Mick and the rest of them. It appears that it has been dealt with quietly and no assistance has been given to the victim in seeking justice for this.....and I wonder what message this sends to the youth of this country.

You should write a screenplay.

Paragraph 1: Introduction. Outline the plot.

Paragraph 2: Conspiracy theory

Paragraph 3: Complete and utter insane plot twist and speculation

Paragraph 4: Playing to the personal side of it

GET JERRY BRUCKHEIMER ON THE PHONE IMMEDIATELY!!

You should write a screenplay.

Paragraph 1: Introduction. Outline the plot.

Paragraph 2: Conspiracy theory

Paragraph 3: Complete and utter insane plot twist and speculation

Paragraph 4: Playing to the personal side of it

GET JERRY BRUCKHEIMER ON THE PHONE IMMEDIATELY!!

Let me ask you this - if it was you would you honestly allow it to slide? Honestly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

troyzer wrote: »
    I've never heard so much ****e in my life.

You summed that up quite nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Let me ask you this - if it was you would you honestly allow it to slide? Honestly?

Did you witness the incident? If you didn't, I don't understand how you (or anyone) can make an assessment on the reaction of Leinster to the incident.

I have had the misfortune of being on the receiving end of some unacceptable drunken antics of a team mate of mine.

I wont get into details of it but suffice to say I was extremely unhappy and when the dust settled said person apologised unreservedly to me and I chose to interpret it as them being completely sincere and chose to forgive them... not really an unheard of concept.

The person in question got a dressing down but it was decided the apology and my subsequent desire to move on was enough.

The person had some reputational damage but we moved on and they learned a harsh lesson.

I can say that my incident was less severe than getting knocked unconscious but still relatable and quite unpleasant

colster wrote: »
    Did you witness the incident? If you didn't, I don't understand how you (or anyone) can make an assessment on the reaction of Leinster to the incident.

I can attest to the character of the victim and he isn't the violent sort. That doesn't mean he should be a target for violent thugs. Leinsters reaction although I know little about it appears to have been to cause the least upset to Leinster Rugby rather than the welfare of the victim.

Can people please stop engaging with this crap?

I can attest to the character of the victim and he isn't the violent sort. That doesn't mean he should be a target for violent thugs. Leinsters reaction although I know little about it appears to have been to cause the least upset to Leinster Rugby rather than the welfare of the victim.

what utter crap

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Probably yes.

I don't know much about the 2 lads involved apart from the fact Dunne is very bright and Wright enjoys a drink. They play (or did play) an aggressive macho sport and are probably alpha-males. I don't know what happened that night as I wasn't there and I have heard no first hand accounts of it. Maybe Dunne said something condescending or rude or even just cheeky to Wright. Wright took offense and over-reacted. Seen it happen in rugby clubs and at team parties dozens of times especially between a young buck and an old silver-back. Its really no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,675 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I said this when it first came out, and got lambasted for it, but I'll say it again.

There's a lot of people jumping to conclusions and making up 'facts' and putting a narrative around things that there's no stated evidence around, all in the cause of making this a big deal to be outraged about.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,563 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

whilst i am loathe to gossip, but ive heard different versions of the same event, and in no version is either party blameless.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Probably yes.

I don't know much about the 2 lads involved apart from the fact Dunne is very bright and Wright enjoys a drink. They play (or did play) an aggressive macho sport and are probably alpha-males. I don't know what happened that night as I wasn't there and I have heard no first hand accounts of it. Maybe Dunne said something condescending or rude or even just cheeky to Wright. Wright took offense and over-reacted. Seen it happen in rugby clubs and at team parties dozens of times especially between a young buck and an old silver-back. Its really no big deal.

I'm all for keeping the camaraderie and traditions of the sport which involve lots of drink and antics post match but sometimes getting assaulted isn't some sort of slapstick joke gone too far it is an altogether sinister act which is born out in bad blood.

Your attitude to it speaks volumes about the sport and its regard for the law of the land. Assault is not acceptable and there are laws in this country to ensure it doesn't happen. To write it off as some sort of commonplace doesn't make it acceptable.

It reflects poorly on Leinster that they have not helped Jack pursue this further. That is all I will say on this matter. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

So you don't know what actually happened then. People have been known to act out of character with a few drinks on them.
    You are calling someone a violent thug yet know nothing about what actually happened.
    As to the welfare of the victim, Leinster's statement says that he has made a full recovery.

I said this when it first came out, and got lambasted for it, but I'll say it again.

There's a lot of people jumping to conclusions and making up 'facts' and putting a narrative around things that there's no stated evidence around, all in the cause of making this a big deal to be outraged about.

There's no stated evidence because there is no legal case. Would you be for pursuing a legal action in this instance.

colster wrote: »
    So you don't know what actually happened then. People have been known to act out of character with a few drinks on them.
    You are calling someone a violent thug yet know nothing about what actually happened.
    As to the welfare of the victim, Leinster's statement says that he has made a full recovery.

A full recovery isn't the welfare of the victim. its partially in the welfare of the victim but not wholly. What about justice for this event if it was unprovoked. Even if it was provoked it isnt acceptable that the perpetrator walks away scott free.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,675 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There's no stated evidence because there is no legal case. Would you be for pursuing a legal action in this instance.

If the victim feels like he has grounds to pursue legal action, and it's a one sided case like people are making it out to be, then by all means yes he'd be more than entitled to and I don't think anyone would begrudge him for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭KaneToad

l hope for the good of the game and the organization that some sort of sanction is put on Stan Wright for what is a an act of thuggery. It wasn't ana act of self defence and no attempt has been made to pursue a case against him. Leinster Rugby have fallen well short in this event if they haven't sought to inflict some sort of sanction against the thug Wright. If it was my son I would be seeking a criminal case against Wright and damages from Leinster to ensure this doesn't happen again in the future.

What has this got to do with Leinster rugby???

If a retired postman punched a current postman, would there be role for An Post to "pursue" the aggressor? This incident is between Wright & Dunne. The event wasn't a Leinster event, seems to be just a piss up in a bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

Stan Wright ate his own dog

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/stan-cooks-dog--26696906.html

Jack Dunne got off lightly ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement