Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

I absolutely can't wait to get back into a crowded RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Anyone else a bit burnt out of Rugby right now. I'm not very excited about the upcoming match

ireland yes.. leinster no.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anyone else a bit burnt out of Rugby right now. I'm not very excited about the upcoming match

Prior to COVID-19 I was burned out, certainly. Right now I consume as much sport as I can.

Having said that, when it comes to the Pro14 I'll only watch Munster religiously. Years ago I would have watched all the provinces. Watching Leinster in particular is a waste of time, like watching a movie when you know the spoilers. Seeing the likes of JOB coming through is still interesting (like Casey, Healy or Ahern for ourselves) but you'd prefer them to play in games that are semi-competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Not terribly excited about the match because I suspect we're going to lose, given the injuries, the flogging of key players by Ireland and lack of time together as a squad.

But no rugby burnout, bring it on says I

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not terribly excited about the match because I suspect we're going to lose, given the injuries, the flogging of key players by Ireland and lack of time together as a squad.

I think Ireland getting a win last weekend was critical to give a little confidence to the set up before this weekend.

Despite all the results in the Pro14 and the unbeaten run, I agree that a win this weekend is far from assured. Montpellier are still a very solid side with a very big pack. The pack that won in Clermont last weekend was ridiculously big even by T14 standards.

The one area where they're in difficulty is at outhalf. They had an 18 year old starting there at the weekend (who kicked 21 points!) so it's not ideal for them. They have Lozowski available but the kid appears to have got the nod ahead of him.

I can see us going with a balance of power and mobility up front to try and limit their own power whilst running moving them around as much as possible. I think Connors is a certainty to start most likely alongside Ruddock and Doris. That will give us a nice balance in the back row and let Connors put as much pressure on their outhalf as possible.

I'd expect McGrath to retain his starting spot for this one too. Grim match in the south of France is suited to his style.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's Deegan's injury status? And Conan?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Deegan did his ACL I think

Conan has a neck injury

LBP this weekend would be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Deegan won't be seen this season id say unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Deegan did his ACL I think

Conan has a neck injury

LBP this weekend would be ok

Feck, when did that happen? Knew he was out injured but didn't know it was that serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

you need big men in the pack, that's why in the backrow I'd go with Murphy, Ruddock and Doris.

any of the Pro14 games i've watched recently Murphy has done a lot of unseen work, he rarely takes a step backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Feck, when did that happen? Knew he was out injured but didn't know it was that serious.

Was game 1 v dragons I think

Possible A side for game against Connacht on saturday:

1. Marcus Hanan(20/Clane)
    2. Dan Sheehan(22/Clongowes)
    3. Tom Clarkson(20/Blackrock)
    4. Charlie Ryan(21/Blackrock)
    5. Jack Dunne(22/Michaels)
    6. Alex Soroka(19/Belvedere)
    7. Martin Moloney(21/Athy)
    8. Sean O'Brien(20/Blackrock)
    9. Paddy Patterson(22/Blackrock)
    10. David Hawkshaw(21/Belvedere)
    11. Andrew Smith(20/Michaels)
    12. Liam Turner(21/Blackrock)
    13. Jamie Osborne(19/Naas)
    14. Niall Comerford(20/Blackrock)
    15. Michael Silvester(22/Clongowes)
    16. Lee Barron(19/Michaels)
    17. Jack Boyle(18/Michaels)
    18. Bobby Sheehan(20/Clongowes) or Ben Griffin(19/Castleknock)
    19. Joe McCarthy(19/Blackrock)
    20. Mark Hernan(20/Michaels) or Will Hickey(19/Michaels)
    21. Cormac Foley(21/St. Gerards)
    22. Tim Corkery(18/Kilkenny) or Charlie Tector(18/Kilkenny)
    23. Aaron O'Sullivan(20/Exile) or Max O'Reilly(20/St. Gerards)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

typhoony wrote: »
    you need big men in the pack, that's why in the backrow I'd go with Murphy, Ruddock and Doris.

any of the Pro14 games i've watched recently Murphy has done a lot of unseen work, he rarely takes a step backwards.

There's no real 7 there, I'd be inclined to go with Ruddock 6, Connors if fit at 7 and Doris at 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Irish Beef wrote: »
    There's no real 7 there, I'd be inclined to go with Ruddock 6, Connors if fit at 7 and Doris at 8.

I'd be very surprised if it isn't that selection. Possibly VDF if they've any concerns over Connors still.

If Montpellier are going with a kid at 10 or someone who doesn't feature there regularly, they'll want to put pressure on the quality of ball going out to their back line. They'll also want someone who can do a hatchet job on their pack's carriers. Connors fits the bill perfectly.

degsie wrote: »

Feel his pain there. Lads training incredibly hard, showing up for every game and absolutely hammering opposition.

"So ye are only in third gear".

There isn't a mean sentiment there, but it's disrespectful and dismissive of the efforts going on behind the scenes.

We're just spoilt to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

Bit of topic so apologies, but has anyone read Sean O'Brien's autobiography and if so is it any good?

Some rugby / sports autobiographies are terrible bland stuff altogether but O'Brien has always been a bit of a character so thought it may be worth reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

kennedmc wrote: »
    Bit of topic so apologies, but has anyone read Sean O'Brien's autobiography and if so is it any good?

Some rugby / sports autobiographies are terrible bland stuff altogether but O'Brien has always been a bit of a character so thought it may be worth reading!

I have no plans to read it but listened to a podcast where they talked about it and wasn't exactly glowing praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There was a review on it in the IT that made it sound a bit meh (like most sports autobiographies), consensus was that there's a few good stories but an awful lot of padding by basically going play for play in certain matches just to fill the pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

kennedmc wrote: »

The excerpt I read (chosen deliberately by the paper I imagine) was actually a very interesting description of the difficulties in his relationship with his parents, and striking because it wasn't about a happy resolution to these issues. Quite difficult stuff to bring into the public domain.

I would say from that excerpt, that it at least isn't going to be just autobiog by numbers. I will buy it at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

Cheers all - mixed reviews at best. Will get it as a Chrimbo present for my Munster supporting brother in law and borrow it when he's finished :D

Cian Tracey says no Sexton or Ryan for Leinster this weekend, no ringrose either. Seems to suggest Porter/Healy will be on bench.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/champions-cup/sexton-to-miss-european-opener-against-montpellier-39850457.html

bayern wrote: »
    Cian Tracey says no Sexton or Ryan for Leinster this weekend, no ringrose either. Seems to suggest Porter/Healy will be on bench.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/champions-cup/sexton-to-miss-european-opener-against-montpellier-39850457.html

so possibly this?

1. Dooley
    2. Tracey
    3. Bent
    4. Fardy
    5. Toner
    6. Ruddock
    7. Connors
    8. Doris
    9. McGrath
    10. Byrne
    11. Kearney
    12. Frawley
    13. Henshaw
    14. Keenan
    15. JOB
    16. Kelleher
    17. Healy
    18. Porter
    19. Baird
    20. JVDF
    21. JGP
    22. Byrne
    23. Kelleher

• Subscribers Posts: 41,578 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No reason for kelleher not starting imo.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    No reason for kelleher not starting imo.

think they'll want to keep the trio of Tracey, Dooley and Bent together after playing/training so much together.. then apply same logic to the bench front row.. but I could be wrong..

plus would bring a lot of power on in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

How is Dan Leavys recovery coming along and would he be in contention to play this weekend?

Wegians89 wrote: »
    How is Dan Leavys recovery coming along and would he be in contention to play this weekend?

he's back playing... not sure his form warrants selection tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He's played a couple of games now and hasn't had an adverse reaction (I think), so it's really about whether the coaches think his performances so far merit it. Ruddock and Doris are shoe-ins I reckon so you'd have Connors, Leavy and VdF all going for one starting and one bench spot, if I had to guess I'd say Leavy will miss out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hes been back playing a few weeks now. Seems to be finding his feet again. He'll be in the 23, but whether they start him against that monster pack is possibly another matter. But he'll have to get back to that level at some stage and I haven't seen any reason yet why that shouldn't be this weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement