Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I’d worry about Porter and Healy. He’ll get Christmas off but it’s the long term fatigue that I’d worry about (a gradual drop off in performance). I think furlong looked tired before lockdown. I think Ryan looks tired now.

Not all I’d say play the strongest team but I think if RT we can rest some players then they should do it. Porter and Ryan would be the main ones I’m thinking of.

I do agree with your points about Porter and by extension Furlong.

Unfortunately we're kinda stuck with 2 of our Tightheads sidelined with long term injuries and losing 2 over the summer.

We're essentially near worst case scenario regarding tighthead and the crux of that is we get a medical joker on loan or Porter and Bent need to take the lions share of the minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

ROC says HB to start for Leinster
    Meanwhile, Harry Byrne is in line for his first European start for Leinster against Northampton on Saturday. The promising 21-year-old replaced his brother Ross in last week's win over Montpellier and looks set to wear the No 10 jersey at the RDS.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/champions-cup/chaos-looming-in-champions-cup-as-covid-committee-to-decide-results-39873011.html

I do agree with your points about Porter and by extension Furlong.

Unfortunately we're kinda stuck with 2 of our Tightheads sidelined with long term injuries and losing 2 over the summer.

We're essentially near worst case scenario regarding tighthead and the crux of that is we get a medical joker on loan or Porter and Bent need to take the lions share of the minutes.

I'd be interested to see if they invest in Greg McGrath going forward.

bayern wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see if they invest in Greg McGrath going forward.

Obviously I saw no scrums in the A highlights but McAllister is a decent loosehead. If Greg could cope against him it's a hopeful sign.

I'd back Harry for this fixture even if Northampton brought a similar team to the one they brought last season for the pool stage.

Probably quite harsh on Ross but Leinster have looked very one dimensional against a rush D at times. A good way to counteract that is a running threat at 10

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,572 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i dont know if that reduces or increases the -42 spread :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Great news on HB. The more proper gametime he gets the better.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i dont know if that reduces or increases the -42 spread :D:D

I thought this comment was tongue in cheek until I went and checked.

Leinster are literally 42 point favourites. That is insane ha

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It would be great for Harry to get a European start and all, but if Northampton are sending their kids then will it really be any more beneficial for him than any of the P14 games so far this season? Are any of the coaches in Leinster or Ireland really going to reevaluate his position off the back of a good performance in this game? Surely they'll all know the quality of the opposition. It's not like he's starting at home to a full strength Lyon or Harlequins, nevermind a Toulouse or an Exeter.

This is a game we just need to get out of the way. Saints aren't bothered. We should win comfortably and move on to the inter-pros, which will likely be far more meaningful games.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's still value in it for Byrne even if it's the rout we expect. It's a game alongside the majority of Leinster's starting XV, whereas his starts to date have been with mostly other young/squad players.

• Advertisement

So starting 10 for interpros:

Munster away: Sexton/Harry
    Connacht home: Ross/Sexton
    Ulster Home: Harry/Ross

Hopefully A team will be announced today for tomorrows game away to Munster... now will Munster provide a stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

molloyjh wrote: »
    It would be great for Harry to get a European start and all, but if Northampton are sending their kids then will it really be any more beneficial for him than any of the P14 games so far this season? Are any of the coaches in Leinster or Ireland really going to reevaluate his position off the back of a good performance in this game? Surely they'll all know the quality of the opposition. It's not like he's starting at home to a full strength Lyon or Harlequins, nevermind a Toulouse or an Exeter.

This is a game we just need to get out of the way. Saints aren't bothered. We should win comfortably and move on to the inter-pros, which will likely be far more meaningful games.

It's not just about the quality of the opposition, he'll hopefully also be playing with as much of our first string as possible.

I'd doubt a performance against a 2nd string Northampton team would turn him into a starting international overnight, but playing in that side will be a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

So starting 10 for interpros:

Munster away: Sexton/Harry
    Connacht home: Ross/Sexton
    Ulster Home: Harry/Ross

I believe Munster have kindly ruled Ben Healy out of the inter-pros so he won't humiliate Grumpy Grandpa Sexton in his final start against Munster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I believe Munster have kindly ruled Ben Healy out of the inter-pros so he won't humiliate Grumpy Grandpa Sexton in his final start against Munster.

With that kind of spineless attitude he'll never make it at Test level. He needs to be more competitive, more combative and more ruthless. He's clearly just too nice a guy for professional rugby. He'll never make it. :D:D:D

Leinster Rugby ‘A’ v Munster Rugby ‘A’

(Leinster senior caps in brackets)

15. Andrew Smith(Michaels-Clontarf)(u21)
    14. Aaron O’Sullivan(Exile-Blackrock)(u22)
    13. Max O’Reilly(Gerards-DUFC)(u21)
    12. Jamie Osborne(Naas)(u20)
    11. Niall Comerford(Blackrock-UCD)(u21)
    10. David Hawkshaw(Belvedere-Clontarf)(u22) (3)
    9. Cormac Foley(Gerards-Lansdowne)(u22)
    1. Marcus Hanan(Clane-Old Belvedere)(u21)
    2. Dan Sheehan(Clongowes-Lansdowne)(u23) (5)
    3. Greg McGrath(Wexford-Lansdowne)(u24)
    4. Charlie Ryan(Blackrock-UCD)(u22)
    5. Jack Dunne(Michaels-DUFC)(u23) (10) CAPTAIN
    6. Will Hickey(Michaels-UCD)(u20)
    7. Seán O’Brien(Blackrock-UCD)(u21)
    8. Alex Soroka(Belvedere-Clontarf)(u20)

Replacements from:

Lee Barron(Michaels-DUFC)(u20)
    Jack Boyle(Michaels-UCD)(u19)
    Thomas Connolly(DUFC)(u21)
    Joe McCarthy(Blackrock-DUFC)(u20)
    Mark Morrissey(Blackrock-UCD)(u19) - lock
    Scott Penny(Michaels-UCD)(u22)(19)
    Rowan Osborne(Clongowes-DUFC)(u25) (6)
    Marcus Kiely(Newbridge-Naas)(u20)- centre
    Karl Martin(Boyne RFC-Old Belvedere)(u19) - centre
    Shane Mallon(Longford RFC/Roscrea-UCD)(u19) - wing
    Chris Cosgrave(Michaels-UCD)(u20) - back three

• Registered Users Posts: 20,223 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

molloyjh wrote: »

Yes. People place value on things which are really only rhetoric. The fact that he hadn’t started a European game was a disqualification from Playing for Ireland, in some people’s view.

He played 20 mins in a game that was already won last week, but that magically makes him a valid option for a start this week. I guarantee you that if he hadn’t played those 20mins last week, the reaction to him starting on Saturday would be different. In fact, he almost certainly wouldn’t be starting if he hadn’t played a pretty irrelevant 20 mins last week.

It definitely matters even if it shouldn’t.

The Munster A v Leinster A Interpro game this Friday (December 18) at Thomond Park will be live-streamed on the Munster Rugby Youtube channel.

The game was initially scheduled for 5.30pm but will now kick-off at 5pm and will be played behind closed doors.

The Munster A side for the clash will be named on Friday afternoon.

Team is up, Baird and HB both starting. Scoreline could be nasty.

Really feel for Frawley who is out of the 23.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jimmy O’Brien (25)
    14. Hugo Keenan (21)
    13. Garry Ringrose (78)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (50)
    11. Dave Kearney (155)
    10. Harry Byrne (17)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (96)
    1. Cian Healy (223)
    2. Rónan Kelleher (17)
    3. Andrew Porter (68)
    4. Ryan Baird (15)
    5. James Ryan (42)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (181) CAPTAIN
    7. Josh van der Flier (86)
    8. Caelan Doris (35)

16. James Tracy (117)
    17. Peter Dooley (82)
    18. Michael Bent (148)
    19. Ross Molony (102)
    20. Josh Murphy (38)
    21. Luke McGrath (135)
    22. Ross Byrne (92)
    23. Dan Leavy (69)

• Advertisement

Feel for Dooley, Tracy and Bent who did nothing to warrant getting dropped but them is the breaks sometimes

Delighted to see Molony and Murphy get some more European exposure.

Return of Ringrose is always a positive. Great to see him back.

And up you step there Harry, there's a good lad

LEINSTER vs NORTHAMPTON SAINTS
    Heineken Champions Cup, Round 2 (Pool A)
    Saturday 19 December 2020
    RDS Arena
    Kick-off: 1pm

15 Tom Collins
    14 Ryan Olowofela
    13 Fraser Dingwall
    12 Rory Hutchinson
    11 Taqele Naiyaravoro
    10 George Furbank
    9 Tom James

1 Alex Waller (c)
    2 Sam Matavesi
    3 Paul Hill
    4 Alex Moon
    5 Api Ratuniyarawa
    6 Nick Isiekwe
    7 Tom Wood
    8 Shaun Adendorff

Replacements:
    16 Mikey Haywood
    17 Francois van Wyk
    18 Owen Franks
    19 Alex Coles
    20 Teimana Harrison
    21 Henry Taylor
    22 Piers Francis
    23 Matt Proctor

8 changes for Saints. They haven't won yet this season even when they're trying so you'd have to think Leinster should be targeting a dominant win here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Feel for Dooley, Tracy and Bent who did nothing to warrant getting dropped but them is the breaks sometimes

Delighted to see Bent get a break. That horse has been flogged badly. You get the sense that the guys on the bench will all start against Munster.

Dooley should be going up against Owen Franks when he comes on, so still a serious job to do! Would be a great experience for him (and he'd probably be fairly happy to have Tracy come on beside him for that)

Split has gone from 42 to 36 since the teams were announced.

Big test for Keenan. Against the tectonic plate that is Naiyaravoro. I think Keenans 1v1 tackling ability is one of the best in the squad. He rarely gets evaded by quicker opponents and is able to keep his feet that big longer and stay in the hunt to chop someone down.

The issue for him now is Naiyaravoro is not an evasive player haha. He is a connoisseur of the Maori step.

Split has gone from 42 to 36 since the teams were announced.

Big test for Keenan. Against the tectonic plate that is Naiyaravoro. I think Keenans 1v1 tackling ability is one of the best in the squad. He rarely gets evaded by quicker opponents and is able to keep his feet that big longer and stay in the hunt to chop someone down.

The issue for him now is Naiyaravoro is not an evasive player haha. He is a connoisseur of the Maori step.

I just do not get it with Naiyaravoro, he's massive but he's not particularly quick and I've never really seen him do proper damage tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No Fardy or Toner in the squad there’s a real changing of the guard happening at the moment, I think there’s going to be some interesting selections for the interpros.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No Fardy or Toner in the squad there’s a real changing of the guard happening at the moment, I think there’s going to be some interesting selections for the interpros.

The two Ryans in the engine room.

• Advertisement

I just do not get it with Naiyaravoro, he's massive but he's not particularly quick and I've never really seen him do proper damage tbh.

He's a real tackle buster. He went through Luke last year like he wasn't even there.

I said it after the game last year that I wouldn't have him near my team. He offers a bit going forward but the rest of his game is just not anything I'd have an interest in.

Defending or chasing back are mere concepts to him. He's poor under the high ball.

Barely a one dimensional player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement