Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I would say Leinster’s preference would be to let Conan go with Deegan’s ability to cover both 8 & 6 plus his age and potential ceiling. But yeah, looks pretty ominous that someone will go North now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I reckon it will be Deegan. A fresh start and plenty of opportunity to play.
    I hate to lose anyone and looking at the squad atm, its quite threadbare.
    This covid has really hurt the IRFU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Both Deegan and Penny out of contact for us at the end of this season. Deegan will go north, Penny will go south imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Serbian wrote: »
    Both Deegan and Penny out of contact for us at the end of this season. Deegan will go north, Penny will go south imo

Why would penny go south? They’ve got Hodnett, Coombes and O Sullivan coming through in the back row?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Be tough for Deegan to try make a move off the back of an ACL injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Serbian wrote: »

Munster don't need a backrow player unless there are some surprising departures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Why would penny go south? They’ve got Hodnett, Coombes and O Sullivan coming through in the back row?

While I think he'd benefit more from developing here over the next few seasons I'm sure the lure of first team rugby consistently would be strong for him.

Penny would go down to Munster as first choice 7 realistically. He's a better option there than Hodnett or POM who've performed well there recently but are not open sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

POM would be comfortably ahead of Penny at 7 if Munster want to get their best back row onto the field.

I'd be shocked if JVG selected Penny at 7 whilst leaving one of Beirne (or Kleyn if he plays lock), POM or Coombes out of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Buer wrote: »
    POM would be comfortably ahead of Penny at 7 if Munster want to get their best back row onto the field.

I'd be shocked if JVG selected Penny at 7 whilst leaving one of Beirne (or Kleyn if he plays lock), POM or Coombes out of the team.

Thats Assuming players actually are all still in Ireland next September.

That's a fair opinion. Penny would certainly have a battle to get into the first team (much less so than here) which is why he might be tempted.

But if we're to believe that Giteau is bringing in an expansive ball playing game plan someone like Penny would thrive.

Either way it's moot hopefully. I'd be keen for him to stay and so far the grass hasn't proven to be greener more often than not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

That's a fair opinion. Penny would certainly have a battle to get into the first team (much less so than here) which is why he might be tempted.

But if we're to believe that Giteau is bringing in an expansive ball playing game plan someone like Penny would thrive.

Either way it's moot hopefully. I'd be keen for him to stay and so far the grass hasn't proven to be greener more often than not

What’s this about Giteau?

What’s this about Giteau?

Wrong aussie legend haha.

I did mean Larkham

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Which backrow do we reckon the IRFU will pressure to move to Ulster?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Clegg wrote: »
    Which backrow do we reckon the IRFU will pressure.ro move to Ulster?
    Deegan. Some of the backrows do need to move and its not exactly like there is no backrows in academy/coming through in Leinster.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,563 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Surely butler wants to play at a higher level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

POM will be off to la Rochelle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Have any of the players out of contact this year put pen to paper yet? Getting a bit concerning at this point.

Have any of the players out of contact this year put pen to paper yet? Getting a bit concerning at this point.

Irfu already said talks are off until January/February

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Irfu already said talks are off until January/February

Hopefully something comes of it the last couple of weeks have shown some teams are still willing to put there hands in the pocket even with the uncertain future. No doubt some of those players will have other offers to use as leverage if talks are continuing much longer.

Hopefully something comes of it the last couple of weeks have shown some teams are still willing to put there hands in the pocket even with the uncertain future. No doubt some of those players will have other offers to use as leverage if talks are continuing much longer.

Expect some high profile departures or retirements.

We are facing another 6n in empty stadium's. IRFU are going to be fairly ruthless here I suspect.

• Advertisement

How many leinster players are going to be negotiating in the new year?

How many leinster players are going to be negotiating in the new year?

Sexton Furlong Toner are the high profile ones IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Approx half of the squad comes up for renewal every year.

Healy's central contract expires this year too IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just at a glance,
    Leinster could release, Cian Healy, Seán Cronin, Michael Bent, Scott Fardy, Devin Toner, Rhys Ruddock, Josh Van der Flier and Jack Conan without much affect to their starting pack and the strength of their bench next season.
    1. Byrne, Dooley,
    2. Kelleher, Tracy,
    3. Furlong, Porter,
    4. Ryan, Moloney,
    5. Baird, Dunne,
    6. Leavy, Murphy,
    7. Connors, Penny,
    8. Doris, Deegan

The IRFU must be looking at that with a view to making way for some talented academy players coming through, and considering that Connacht or Ulster could benefit from those back rows.
    Certainly a wealth of talent and could afford to lose some of the older players without much of an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Just at a glance,
    Leinster could release, Cian Healy, Seán Cronin, Michael Bent, Scott Fardy, Devin Toner, Rhys Ruddock, Josh Van der Flier and Jack Conan without much affect to their starting pack and the strength of their bench next season.
    1. Byrne, Dooley,
    2. Kelleher, Tracy,
    3. Furlong, Porter,
    4. Ryan, Moloney,
    5. Baird, Dunne,
    6. Leavy, Murphy,
    7. Connors, Penny,
    8. Doris, Deegan

The IRFU must be looking at that with a view to making way for some talented academy players coming through, and considering that Connacht or Ulster could benefit from those back rows.
    Certainly a wealth of talent and could afford to lose some of the older players without much of an impact.

Aside from the craziness of releasing so many players at least half of the 16 you’re keeping would be with Ireland quite a lot. Players like Bent are the most important to a squad.

Just at a glance,
    1. Byrne, Dooley,
    2. Kelleher, Tracy,
    3. Furlong, Porter,
    4. Ryan, Moloney,
    5. Baird, Dunne,
    6. Leavy, Murphy,
    7. Connors, Penny,
    8. Doris, Deegan.

Cronin Fardy I expect will not be offered a new deal
    Healy and Toner a provincial one altho I suspect Toner might retire.

Furlong and Porter are away half the season. Bent will probably be offered a 1 year extension.

Ruddock has been the best player in the country since rugby resumed in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

not a chance Ruddock is released.

salmocab wrote: »
    Aside from the craziness of releasing so many players at least half of the 16 you’re keeping would be with Ireland quite a lot. Players like Bent are the most important to a squad.

Not when there are so many other players there also.

I only named the first two in each position,
    There is another player for each position that could fill in, admittedly a lot are academy, but still capable to fill the bench, and probably need the game time to develop.
    For example,

1. Byrne, Dooley, Milne,
    2. Kelleher, Tracy, Sheehan,
    3. Furlong, Porter, Abdaladze,
    4. Ryan, Moloney, Ryan,
    5. Baird, Dunne, Deeny,
    6. Leavy, Murphy, Soroka,
    7. Connors, Penny, Moloney,
    8. Doris, Deegan, O’Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Not when there are so many other players there also.

I only named the first two in each position,
    There is another player for each position that could fill in, admittedly a lot are academy, but still capable to fill the bench, and probably need the game time to develop.
    For example,

1. Byrne, Dooley, Milne,
    2. Kelleher, Tracy, Sheehan,
    3. Furlong, Porter, Abdaladze,
    4. Ryan, Moloney, Ryan,
    5. Baird, Dunne, Deeny,
    6. Leavy, Murphy, Soroka,
    7. Connors, Penny, Moloney,
    8. Doris, Deegan, O’Brien.

That leaves no wiggle room for the inevitable injuries. Leavy comes back and Deegan goes. Furlong out for months these are going to keep happening.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    That leaves no wiggle room for the inevitable injuries. Leavy comes back and Deegan goes. Furlong out for months these are going to keep happening.

Yeah, point was these are a list of players that in an extreme view if IRFU were completely strapped for funds they could survive like that,
    But I don’t expect it to happen at all.
    Merely a commentary on how well stocked Leinster are in the forwards.
    I could see an argument for losing at least one player from each row however.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement