Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Just at a glance,
    Leinster could release, Cian Healy, Seán Cronin, Michael Bent, Scott Fardy, Devin Toner, Rhys Ruddock, Josh Van der Flier and Jack Conan without much affect to their starting pack and the strength of their bench next season.
    1. Byrne, Dooley,
    2. Kelleher, Tracy,
    3. Furlong, Porter,
    4. Ryan, Moloney,
    5. Baird, Dunne,
    6. Leavy, Murphy,
    7. Connors, Penny,
    8. Doris, Deegan

The IRFU must be looking at that with a view to making way for some talented academy players coming through, and considering that Connacht or Ulster could benefit from those back rows.
    Certainly a wealth of talent and could afford to lose some of the older players without much of an impact.

Healy? Are you mad? Playing super and more important than ever for Ireland and Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Healy? Are you mad? Playing super and more important than ever for Ireland and Leinster.

I'm sorry but Healy is not playing super. Yes hes scoring a few tries from pick and goes but in Leinsters last 2 games he's carried 8 times and made 1 metre in total. To put that in context, Pete Dooley made 8 metres from 5 carries in 24 minutes against Northampton. I dont like using stats to analyse performance, but it's clear that what was the strongest part of his game just isnt there anymore.

Against Scotland he was also frighteningly off the pace. Also his handling (which was never very good) has been abysmal of late.

I think Ed Byrne is going to seriously push him once hes back. Theres no chance of him getting his central contract renewed. It's not surprising given the amount of punishment his body has taken over the last 15 years. It was amazing that he returned to form the way he did in 2018. But now I dont see what he offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Healy is an Irish legend but he has been very average of late. if Kilcoyne was fit there’s every chance Healy would have been benching this autumn. hard to see him getting a CC, but Leinster would probably keep him on reduced money if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Healy is an Irish legend but he has been very average of late. if Kilcoyne was fit there’s every chance Healy would have been benching this autumn. hard to see him getting a CC, but Leinster would probably keep him on reduced money if possible.

I think there is 7/8 CC up next summer.

One of Stander/POM won't get one IMO
    Henderson and Furlong are the other two likely to be renewed.

The rest probably won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Leinster assisting two players with positive cases

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,795 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What's the story with the game this weekend then, do they postpone again?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    What's the story with the game this weekend then, do they postpone again?

Unless there's more positives later in the week, they'll play. They've isolated the two cases and are back in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Just as well they didn't postpone the Munster game by only a day or two so.

Sure look, it was only a matter of time before this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Might be a bit of a sting in the tail of Connacht after that loss to Ulster.

Will we have many internationals available? Would they count last week as a rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Might be a bit of a sting in the tail of Connacht after that loss to Ulster.

Will we have many internationals available? Would they count last week as a rest?

Oh enough with the sandbagging! Every year Leinster put out the B team for the game in the RDS and every year Connacht fail to turn up, or when they do the internationals come off the bench to put us in our place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Problem being the drop off after that is fairly steep. Healy is still going to be needed for the time being.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Problem being the drop off after that is fairly steep. Healy is still going to be needed for the time being.

Dont think it is. 2 years ago maybe but the gap between Healy and Killer/O'Sullivan/Byrne isnt a substantial one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

TRC10 wrote: »
    Dont think it is. 2 years ago maybe but the gap between Healy and Killer/O'Sullivan/Byrne isnt a substantial one.

The selections for the recent games don't really back this up.

The selections for the recent games don't really back this up.

Hows that. Byrne and Killer have been injured and O'Sullivan has been outperforming Healy for a while now.

TRC10 wrote: »
    Hows that. Byrne and Killer have been injured and O'Sullivan has been outperforming Healy for a while now.

We played a tighthead at loosehead and used another as cover rather than play O’Sullivan. The Irish coaching team clearly don’t share your view.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,563 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stephen_n wrote: »
    We played a tighthead at loosehead and used another as cover rather than play O’Sullivan. The Irish coaching team clearly don’t share your view.

I think that's more a result of Byrne getting injured and o sullivan not being in camp long enough to be honest.

If O'Sullivan was there a week earlier I'd imagine he would have started against Georgia.

But nonetheless, healy is still our best LG, though he's in the twilight of his career and I'd imagine he'll be used more as the impact sub during the coming 6Ns, injury depending

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Leinsters postponed game to Scarlets has been rescheduled to 30 January. Pro14 have announced rescheduled games up to 13 February so Munster game could be a while away yet.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I think that's more a result of Byrne getting injured and o sullivan not being in camp long enough to be honest.

If O'Sullivan was there a week earlier I'd imagine he would have started against Georgia.

But nonetheless, healy is still our best LG, though he's in the twilight of his career and I'd imagine he'll be used more as the impact sub during the coming 6Ns, injury depending

I think the fact we went into the games with only two looseheads in the squad suggests the coaches don’t see O’Sullivan as ready though. It seemed to always be the intention to use Porter at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Was anyone else excited by Josh Wycherley’s performance against Clermont. I know he’s young, it was one game and he didn’t even seem to be going that well at the start but still..wow... so impressed with his second half performance, if we was to put a few more games like together I wouldn’t have a problem with him being fast tracked into the international setup.

Anyway probably wishful thinking.

Was anyone else excited by Josh Wycherley’s performance against Clermont. I know he’s young, it was one game and he didn’t even seem to be going that well at the start but still..wow... so impressed with his second half performance, if we was to put a few more games like together I wouldn’t have a problem with him being fast tracked into the international setup.

Anyway probably wishful thinking.

Yeah he was very good, but.....

Leinster thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Not a bad looking squad.

Excellent pack to be able to call on. Extremely exciting backrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm guessing that Sexton is our only available ten, which if true is quite unfortunate.

Who's the sub 10?

Who's the sub 10?

Jimmy o brien can fill in

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Jimmy o brien can fill in

Jimmy hasn't put a foot wrong all year that I'd fully back him to have a stormer at 10 if needs be.

Luke has been pictured practising goal kicking before. I wonder if he's the backup kicker.

Or can O'Rielly or Smith kick?

The two byrnes being missing makes sense now

I'm too hungover to read let alone think but I imagine that's the first time a bunch of these lads have started in the same team as Sexton?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

I'm too hungover to read let alone think but I imagine that's the first time a bunch of these lads have started in the same team as Sexton?

EVERYONE IS OUT TO GET YOU

• Advertisement

Leinster on insta saying Frawley was due to start and picked up an injury late in the week.

Luke was always due to be captain so will continue in this role for the game despite Sexton playing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement