Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Sometimes we can read too much into jersey numbers. Maybe Henshaw lines up outside when Leinster don't have the ball. We'll see.

Could just play with 2 10s and one midfielder, let them each take a phase off and walk around having the chats for half the match

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There is absolutely no way in hell Ross Byrne can defend at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Obviously could be a master stroke, but if we were really in straits this dire I think I'd have gone with a backrow at 12 and Henshaw at 13 rather than a slow at 13...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So Larmour and JOB are both fit (supposedly) and we still go with Ross at 13!? I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

errlloyd wrote: »
    Obviously could be a master stroke, but if we were really in straits this dire I think I'd have gone with a backrow at 12 and Henshaw at 13 rather than a slow at 13...

I know Deegan probably fancies himself as a center. But he's injured :D

• Advertisement

Well. That's a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I wonder is there a GAA style starting XV announcement at play with a late change planned

• Registered Users Posts: 21,675 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Missed opportunity to fulfill everyone's dreams of Cronin at 12 to be honest.

Sefton to play the first 15 minutes and then come off once the bonus point is wrapped up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Honestly that's a very strong side other than Ross Byrne at outside centre which is just baffling. From 1-8 that's a test quality pack. Halfbacks and back three is strong too. But centres are so strange. Larmour has played 13 at test level even. Throw him in there if required.

We have three 10's in the squad for tomorrow. Really scaping the barrel for for backs.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,795 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is no way Byrne is actually going to play 13.

salmocab wrote: »
    I wonder is there a GAA style starting XV announcement at play with a late change planned

mosdef

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

awec wrote: »
    There is no way Byrne is actually going to play 13.

Yea 12.
    Great that Larmour is back but also disappointed to see he’s not at FB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What's the deal with Ringrose? I thought he was back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Dubinusa wrote: »

"Boken Daw"
    He's probably only able to start eating steak at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,675 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Dubinusa wrote: »

He was, then he got another knock to the jaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭KH25

Is O’Loughlin injured? Surprised to not see him in at centre with all the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

KH25 wrote: »
    Is O’Loughlin injured? Surprised to not see him in at centre with all the injuries.

Yep, came off with an arm injury of some sort last week.

You'd have to think we'll be kicking the ball a lot. Losing a midfielder also affects our breakdown etc

If we're going to be spending more time out of possession, then JVDF is going to be crucial in the defensive line, setting the line speed. Good line speed to stop Ulster making progress with the ball should hopefully reduce their options a lot and we should back ourselves to come out on top in a territory battle.

Scrum also becomes more important. Hopefully we should be able to make some gains there.

Then there's the lineout...

If we see a good defensive performance, accurate kicking game and at least decent set piece performance, we should win. Hopefully can deny a losing bonus point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Ross Byrne will play 12, Henshaw will play 13. I've no idea why they have the numbers the other way around. Ross Byrne has come on at 10 and sexton has moved to 12 in the past.

It is a surprising call considering Jimmy and Larmour can both play 13. And Hawkshaw has played a lot of rugby at 12. Also, Max O'Reilly has been tearing it up at 13 for the As (different level altogether I know but still)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

TRC10 wrote: »
    Ross Byrne will play 12, Henshaw will play 13. I've no idea why they have the numbers the other way around. Ross Byrne has come on at 10 and sexton has moved to 12 in the past.

It is a surprising call considering Jimmy and Larmour can both play 13. And Hawkshaw has played a lot of rugby at 12. Also, Max O'Reilly has been tearing it up at 13 for the As (different level altogether I know but still)

Would you prefer Byrne or Henshaw tackling Mccloskey?

I didn't think McCloskey would be so kind as to offer us a choice! Fair play to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

I didn't think McCloskey would be so kind as to offer us a choice! Fair play to him

Ulster offering all the help we can get after last week's toppling of the Empire at Connacht's hands.

That's not really how it works. The 12 doesn't man mark the other 12 and the 13 man mark the 13 for the entire game. Apart from at set pieces, you aren't man marking your opposite number. It's not football.

Besides, Ross Byrne is a strong defender. I'd be more worried about Hume doing him on the outside than Mccloskey running straight down his channel.

• Administrators Posts: 53,795 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Byrne would be destroyed at 13, he's slower than a wet week. I refuse to believe he'll be anywhere near that channel, in attack or defence.

That's not really how it works. The 12 doesn't man mark the other 12 and the 13 man mark the 13 for the entire game. Apart from at set pieces, you aren't man marking your opposite number. It's not football.

Besides, Ross Byrne is a strong defender. I'd be more worried about Hume doing him on the outside than Mccloskey running straight down his channel.

Thanks for the tactical synopsis.

Any attempt to answer the question ?

Thanks for the tactical synopsis.

Any attempt to answer the question ?

Your question is a pointless question, hes gonna have to tackle Mccloskey no matter what position he plays. Hell have to tackle hume too. I'd much rather him defending at 12 because hes too slow to defend at 13. I dont care who is playing 12 for Ulster.

Your question is a pointless question, hes gonna have to tackle Mccloskey no matter what position he plays. Hell have to tackle hume too. I'd much rather him defending at 12 because hes too slow to defend at 13. I dont care who is playing 12 for Ulster.

Hes also going to have to tackle Coetzee if needs be during open play, but not all play is open.

Hes also going to have to tackle Coetzee if needs be during open play, but not all play is open.

I agree. Not sure what your point is.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,563 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Cullen saying how Sexton, Ross and Henshaw will line up is not divulged yet... To keep them guessing.

Maybe we're actually looking at a 10. Byrne 12. Sexton 13. Henshaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement