Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Assuming Fannings report is accurate and Hawkshaw has backed Leinster, does that mean he's graduating a year early?

Presumably Connacht were not offering him an academy place. And I'd be surprised if Leinster didn't at least match what another province were offering.

I wouldn't have had him down as an early graduate from the academy.

No he is in Year 3, along with Milne, Patterson, Silvester & O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

bayern wrote: »
    No he is in Year 3, along with Milne, Patterson, Silvester & O'Sullivan.

Could have sworn he was year 2. In that case yes I'd be expecting him to graduate from the academy this year.

Silvester is in a bit of trouble. As is O'Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 21,675 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

stephen_n wrote: »
    I would have thought not making the Bench against Connacht. With a half fit Sexton starting, was a very firm indication of how Leinster rate him. He might really struggle for game time going forward.

Ah I'd probably call that a bit premature for someone to make a career decision off of one game, especially since we don't know what conversations were had behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I've liked everything ive seen from Hawkshaw since his return from injury.I was very much hoping we would be after him. In Leinster I think he risks being another utility player moving between 10/12/13 and maybe 15, like madigan and Frawley before him. Makes him a useful player from a squad perspective but probably stunts his upper potential. I have been hopeful that we would be in for him and think a move to Connacht would have him straight in as 2nd choice 10 with significant game time.

From a Connacht perspective we have 5 contracted centres Bundi Daly Farrell Arnold and Robb and Toh at 15 with Porch and SFitzgerald up for renewal so unless there's some move of players in contract between the provinces he was wanted as a 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

Could have sworn he was year 2. In that case yes I'd be expecting him to graduate from the academy this year.

Silvester is in a bit of trouble. As is O'Sullivan

Hawkshaw was offered an academy contract straight from school that’s why he’s in year 3 in the academy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Nah he is obviously just another mama's boy afraid to cut the apron strings and get out of his comfort zone. This is what is holding Irish rugby back. :D

Nah I heard he told connacht he would rather go to hell

• Subscribers Posts: 41,563 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Nah I heard he told connacht he would rather go to hell

ooooooooooohhhh :D:D

i doubt YR will get that :P

• Administrators Posts: 53,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sexton will be like Best was at the end of his career, he’ll hardly ever play for Leinster. Mysterious injuries will sideline him for weeks on end only for him to suddenly recover when Ireland are due to play.

So Hawkshaw will get more chances. Hard to see him being anything more than a squad player though. He’ll win medals as a squad player which is probably helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

He was on the bench against Connacht?

Only after Josh Murphy pulled out in the warm up. He wasn’t brought on when Sexton went off either. JOB was played in the 10 position rather than bring him on. If he had come on for Sexton, we might possibly have had a different result that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Buer wrote: »
    If it was anyone else who said this, I'd criticise them. But given that you left the outback years ago and said goodbye to Oz to make a life in Ireland, you're coming from a place of experience.

And for the first time this year, I say Shut up Buer.

How did I get to February without telling you to shut up?? I must be mellowing in my old age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

sydthebeat wrote: »
    ooooooooooohhhh :D:D

i doubt YR will get that :P

Is it something to do with a Cromwell quote after he came over and civilised you Paddies 😆
    Or was that Robbie Henshaw?

Unfortunately, the news was not as positive today on Dan Leavy who has had a procedure to repair cartilage in his knee and will be out of action for the rest of the season.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/cullen-injury-update-ahead-dragons/

Unfortunately, the news was not as positive today on Dan Leavy who has had a procedure to repair cartilage in his knee and will be out of action for the rest of the season.

****ing nightmare for Dan. Absolutely devastated for him.

Given the complexity of the issue a setback like this was always a possiblility.

Wonder where that leaves us on our options at 7. Not sure Penny will be involved this week.

New SOB might be in line yet for a debut with Fardy and Murphy rounding out the backrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Noooooooooooo. He was going along nicely. Fingers crossed he can bounce back

sounds very precautionary which is a small silver lining hopefully.

Balls.

I thought his form had been very good, but he was asked recently about an Ireland call up and he pretty much summarily dismissed the idea and my sense after he said it was that he was still having to mind himself a bit.

Hopfully he will be back for pre season and can get back playing. I have no doubt in my mind that he would be starting for Ireland if fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well this is a kick in the nuts. He’d be going great.

• Administrators Posts: 53,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sydthebeat wrote: »
    sounds very precautionary which is a small silver lining hopefully.

I'm not sure there's such a thing as precautionary knee surgery.

awec wrote: »
    I'm not sure there's such a thing as precautionary knee surgery.

often cartilage scraping is required to prevent future more serious issues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"Repair cartilage" is not a good thing to hear about a player who is only back from a massive leg injury.

Hopefully it's not the end for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

Tommy O'Brien back and available for selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Gutted for Dan. Hoping he can come back better than ever next season

Possible team for weekend:

Dooley Tracy Clarkson
    Molony Toner
    Baird Murphy SOBóg
    McGrath H Byrne
    TOB ROL
    Kearney Frawley Kelleher
    Cronin, Milne (?), G McGrath, Dunne, Fardy, O'Sullivan, Hawkshaw, Osborne

Good lord we are stretched thin across the board. Is Milne fit again? Hanan next up? Can't imagine we will see Bent

Is there any other back rows we can play?

Dooley Tracy Clarkson
    Molony Toner
    Baird Murphy SOBóg
    McGrath H Byrne
    TOB ROL
    Kearney Frawley Kelleher

Good lord we are stretched thin across the board. Is Milne fit again? Hanan next up? Can't imagine we will see Bent

Conan is training.

No sign of Milne.

Dooley Tracy Clarkson
    Molony Toner
    Baird Murphy SOBóg
    McGrath H Byrne
    TOB ROL
    Kearney Frawley Kelleher

Alex Soroka or Martin Moloney, both started in the last A game, not sure if either are injured though, and SOB is the only openside we have I think, which is wild considering he's probably 5th choice (or even 6th behind Ruddock potentially).

Alex Soroka or Martin Moloney, both started in the last A game, not sure if either are injured though, and SOB is the only openside we have I think, which is wild considering he's probably 5th choice (or even 6th behind Ruddock potentially).

Moloneys injured, again.

Soroka and SOB are fit and available.

It’s amazing how many posts I’ve seen about Leinster having too many back rows and some need to move. There is always a couple out injured long term.

salmocab wrote: »
    It’s amazing how many posts I’ve seen about Leinster having too many back rows and some need to move. There is always a couple out injured long term.

It's a funny one. If you were looking at it from the outside, you'd easily say Leinster are overstocked. Yet look at the last 3 or 4 years, VdF and Leavy broke through despite having Jordi Murphy, SOB, Ruddock and Dom Ryan in the team. Then you have Connors who broke through despite an ACL injury himself, Murphy getting plenty of game time, and Penny is start to pick up a fair few minutes too.

It's a funny one. If you were looking at it from the outside, you'd easily say Leinster are overstocked. Yet look at the last 3 or 4 years, VdF and Leavy broke through despite having Jordi Murphy, SOB, Ruddock and Dom Ryan in the team. Then you have Connors who broke through despite an ACL injury himself, Murphy getting plenty of game time, and Penny is start to pick up a fair few minutes too.

Leavy and Conan were out long term they are just coming back and Deegan goes with Penny out a while too and now Leavy gone again too. The conveyor belt of back row talent is only keeping pace with the injury conveyor belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Dooley Tracy Clarkson
    Molony Toner
    Baird Murphy SOBóg
    McGrath H Byrne
    TOB ROL
    Kearney Frawley Kelleher

I don't really see the point in including Vardy against the Dagrons. I think I would go with:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Dan Sheehan
    3. Thomas Clarkson
    4. Ryan Baird
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Sean O'Brien
    8. Jack Conan
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Ciarán Frawley