Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Julien Bonnaire (428), Morgan Parra (440) - they make them to last in Clermont.

Simon Shaw (420), Martin Johnson (455)

Can't think of many SH players off the top of my head

McCaw had about 330 provincial and international caps. There's no doubt a SH player with more, but I don't think anyone will get close to the NH numbers.

So as to keep the thread on track, I've no doubt that McCaw was a Leinster fan :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Brad Thorn probably beats everyone if you include rugby league. Think he debuted for the Broncos at 18 and played till he was 40.
    Edit: just checked wikipedia, 452 caps across both codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Brad Thorn probably beats everyone if you include rugby league. Think he debuted for the Broncos at 18 and played till he was 40.
    Edit: just checked wikipedia, 452 caps across both codes.

Brought it right back to Leinster flawlessly.

Nicely done :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

When I grow up I want to be like Brad Thorn

With neither Josh nor Ruddock in the 23 hopefully we get one of them back.

I assume at least 1 (likely Josh as 7 cover) will still travel to Italy.

But it's in Farrells best interest to keep his players match fit so hopefully we will get Ruddock back.

That would be huge given we're without Conan and Baird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

With neither Josh nor Ruddock in the 23 hopefully we get one of them back.

I assume at least 1 (likely Josh as 7 cover) will still travel to Italy.

But it's in Farrells best interest to keep his players match fit so hopefully we will get Ruddock back.

That would be huge given we're without Conan and Baird

I wonder will Glasgow get some of their internationals back too given their game has been postponed? We'll be missing about 30 players in total. Them having players back from Scotland could make this a very tricky encounter. And if we lose it then its advantage Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

molloyjh wrote: »
    I wonder will Glasgow get some of their internationals back too given their game has been postponed? We'll be missing about 30 players in total. Them having players back from Scotland could make this a very tricky encounter. And if we lose it then its advantage Ulster.

Ah **** I hadn’t though of that!

Could be a massive task if they have their internationals. And you’d think they’d want those guys to get game time now

Ah **** I hadn’t though of that!

Could be a massive task if they have their internationals. And you’d think they’d want those guys to get game time now

Especially as the clubs may well be asked to do without next week. I've gotten very nervous about our league prospects as of this morning.

Ooof it will be a test of the squad depth if Glasgow find themselves fully locked and loaded.

From a Scotland pov it's a no brainer to release the players are keep them match fit.

Ooof it will be a test of the squad depth if Glasgow find themselves fully locked and loaded.

From a Scotland pov it's a no brainer to release the players are keep them match fit.

Personally I think they should be very careful just due to general health and safety

• Advertisement

Yeah, and I think if we lose this then the conference is Ulster's to lose. We'll still be missing a lot of guys for our trip to Belfast. It's a crucial game and it's utterly awful luck if we end up facing a strong Glasgow side when we're so stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Personally I think they should be very careful just due to general health and safety

I too think they shouldn't do this, absolutely for health and safety reasons and not at all due to not wanting to play a full strength Glasgow side. Yes, sir. Would be disgraceful if they endangered their team by releasing the players. Disgraceful, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I hope they come fully stacked. Be a far more beneficial scenario for our fringe/young players to face some proper opposition than a second string. We should still have more than enough.

We should still be in a position to put out a team along the lines of Dooley, Cronin, Bent, Toner, Molony, Murphy, Penny, Ruddock (if available), McGrath, Byrne, DK, Frawley/Byrne, ROL, Kelleher, JOB/MOR.

On another note, I see Doris was training with Leinster this week which is good to see even if he is in a non-contact scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

All joking aside, it would make a mockery of Covid bubbles (as does Aki and Daly turning out this weekend).

All joking aside, it would make a mockery of Covid bubbles (as does Aki and Daly turning out this weekend).

Bubbles in place at professional sports teams around the world currently are a joke in many many cases. Wild how casually it’s taken even in sports which are financially many times more valuable than rugby.

I think unless there’s a case at Glasgow or Scotland they’ll be released to play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Buer wrote: »
    I hope they come fully stacked. Be a far more beneficial scenario for our fringe/young players to face some proper opposition than a second string. We should still have more than enough.

We should still be in a position to put out a team along the lines of Dooley, Cronin, Bent, Toner, Molony, Murphy, Penny, Ruddock (if available), McGrath, Byrne, DK, Frawley/Byrne, ROL, Kelleher, JOB/MOR.

On another note, I see Doris was training with Leinster this week which is good to see even if he is in a non-contact scenario.

Surely Ross Byrne will travel with Ireland to cover the possibility of Sexton or Burns having to cry off?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,675 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bubbles in place at professional sports teams around the world currently are a joke in many many cases. Wild how casually it’s taken even in sports which are financially many times more valuable than rugby.

I think unless there’s a case at Glasgow or Scotland they’ll be released to play

Sure look at Harry Byrne, called up into the Irish training squad less than two weeks after playing the Scarlets, then back with Leinster to play less than 5 days after the French match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Surely Ross Byrne will travel with Ireland to cover the possibility of Sexton or Burns having to cry off?

And who is covering the 9's? Cooney is named for ulster. Hardly mcgrath this time..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Doris's initial diagnosis was worrying so it's great to see him back so soon. Hopefully he won't go on to experience more concussion issues.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1364973932932046849?s=09

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

And who is covering the 9's? Cooney is named for ulster. Hardly mcgrath this time..

Madigan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah, and I think if we lose this then the conference is Ulster's to lose. We'll still be missing a lot of guys for our trip to Belfast. It's a crucial game and it's utterly awful luck if we end up facing a strong Glasgow side when we're so stretched.

Glasgow are playing like drains even with their internationals in the side. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Madigan

Court?

jacothelad wrote: »
    Glasgow are playing like drains even with their internationals in the side. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Here's hoping anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

People keep saying this but that’s a complete misconception of what the bubbles mean. Players in the international squads are in bubbles from their families. Interacting with tested provincial squads does not change that. Same way playing against Ulster didn’t affect the bubble. Aki and probably Daly will not be interacting with family while out of camp and are probably staying in hotels while playing for their provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Glasgow Warriors team to face Leinster in the Guinness PRO14, Sunday 28 February, kick-off 5.30pm, live on Premier Sports 1. You can follow the action in our Live Match Centre at glasgowwarriors.org.

1. Oli Kebble (53)
    2. Grant Stewart (40)
    3. Enrique Pieretto (10)
    4. Richie Gray (54)
    5. Leone Nakarawa (74)
    6. Rob Harley (242)
    7. Thomas Gordon (28)
    8. Ryan Wilson (C) (182)

9. Jamie Dobie (15)
    10. Adam Hastings (47)
    11. Cole Forbes (0)
    12. Sam Johnson (67)
    13. Huw Jones (46)
    14. Rufus McLean (2)
    15. Ollie Smith (1)

16. Johnny Matthews (8)
    17. Aki Seiuli (23)
    18. D’arcy Rae (79)
    19. Gregor Brown (0)
    20. TJ Ioane (9)
    21. Sean Kennedy (13)
    22. Ross Thompson (3)
    23. Robbie Fergusson (8)

Unavailable for selection: Alex Allan, Fraser Brown, Zander Fagerson, Chris Fusaro, George Horne, Pete Horne, Paddy Kelly, Kiran McDonald, Niko Matawalu, Tommy Seymour, Kyle Steyn

International duty: Scott Cummings, Matt Fagerson, Ali Price, George Turner.

EvJVUkmWYAc7kjh?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Grand team, extremely raw bench. Interesting to see VDF there. Some real ball playing ability in the back line.

Penny at 8 is curious. I'd have thought Josh Murphy at 8 would have made more sense but he probably doesn't have the ball skills.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jimmy O’Brien (29)
    14. Cian Kelleher (22)
    13. Rory O’Loughlin (75)
    12. Ciarán Frawley (33)
    11. Dave Kearney (160)
    10. Harry Byrne (19)
    9. Luke McGrath (141) CAPTAIN
    1. Peter Dooley (86)
    2. Seán Cronin (191)
    3. Michael Bent (151)
    4. Devin Toner (257)
    5. Scott Fardy (71)
    6. Josh Murphy (41)
    7. Josh van der Flier (89)
    8. Scott Penny (21)

16. Dan Sheehan (6)
    17. Greg McGrath (2)
    18. Tom Clarkson (6)
    19. Jack Dunne (11)
    20. Alex Soroka (0)
    21. Rowan Osborne (7)
    22. David Hawkshaw (6)
    23. Jamie Osborne (2)

The disparity between the average age of the starting front 5 is quite funny compared to the bench.

Front 5 average age - 33.2 (and Dooley brings it down from 35!)

Bench average age - 21.5

Bench has a combined total of 40 caps - Josh Murphy has more

• Advertisement

Last time that 2-5 start a game together for leinster?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement