Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

bayern wrote: »

Great to hear. Hopefully he can put these concussion issues behind him.

The article also states that Dan Sheehan has scored 7 tries in 15 appearances for Leinster despite only featuring in 8 games scoring 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Great to hear. Hopefully he can put these concussion issues behind him.

The article also states that Dan Sheehan has scored 7 tries in 15 appearances for Leinster despite only featuring in 8 games scoring 4.

It's RTE. If they got it right would be more shocking than getting it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

sebdavis wrote: »
    It's RTE. If they got it right would be more shocking than getting it wrong.

That stat is indeed wrong but it is pulled from the Leinster website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

dregin wrote: »
    Leinster starting a 15 of second choice players would beat Munster's strongest 15. Discuss.

1. Michael Bent
    2. James Tracy
    3. Tadgh Furlong
    4. Ryan Baird
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh Van Der Flier
    8. Jack Conan
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. Dave Kearney
    12. Rory O'Laughlin
    13. Jimmy O'Brien
    14. Cian Kelleher
    15. Max O'Reilly

</****_stirring>

No, and that sort of hubris would absolutely bite us in the a**.
    Only reason Leinster won last two encounters is because JJ missed kicks. They are closer than the record suggests.

We will need healy, a tight head, ryan, henshaw, ringrose and probably two of the back 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

While a Pro 14 final loss to Munster in the RDS would be a sickener, home advantage is null and void and leinster have won the pro 14 three years in a row. European success is surely the priority for many in the province these days given the sour taste last seasons loss to saracens left.

Munster surely will be going all out for a trophy win, as they haven't won a trophy in almost 10 years, JVG needs to get a trophy to show progress and they aren't going to get a better chance against a Leinster side focused on progressing on europe not to mention missing several top line internationals.

Makes for a very interesting showdown, for example who will Munster start at 10?
    Joey didn't do much to suggest he is ready for a final last week against Connacht IMO.

Whereas I'd have no issue with either Byrne brother starting at 10. Lancaster seemed to indicate the the Pro 14 squad who have gotten the team to the final will not be discarded for the final.

• Advertisement

While a Pro 14 final loss to Munster in the RDS would be a sickener, home advantage is null and void and leinster have won the pro 14 three years in a row. European success is surely the priority for many in the province these days given the sour taste last seasons loss to saracens left.

Munster surely will be going all out for a trophy win, as they haven't won a trophy in almost 10 years, JVG needs to get a trophy to show progress and they aren't going to get a better chance against a Leinster side focused on progressing on europe not to mention missing several top line internationals.

Makes for a very interesting showdown, for example who will Munster start at 10?
    Joey didn't do much to suggest he is ready for a final last week against Connacht IMO.

Whereas I'd have no issue with either Byrne brother starting at 10. Lancaster seemed to indicate the the Pro 14 squad who have gotten the team to the final will not be discarded for the final.

Munster surely are the hungrier team at this point. They are reaching Leinster 2009 levels of sick of losing to their rival.

Definitely their best chance with the way the games are sequenced.

Didn't see the lancaster quote about sticking to the team that got them there. Be surprised not to see a lot of the backs utilized. We have had a couple of very callow backlines out lately

Who we get in europe draw today could influence thinking too

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Munster surely are the hungrier team at this point. They are reaching Leinster 2009 levels of sick of losing to their rival.

Definitely their best chance with the way the games are sequenced.

Didn't see the lancaster quote about sticking to the team that got them there. Be surprised not to see a lot of the backs utilized. We have had a couple of very callow backlines out lately

Who we get in europe draw today could influence thinking too

agreed, I think european draw could be a big factor.

Realistically Leinster should let Munster win the final just to make the build up threads interesting again.

Is it to early for a build up thread now?

Is it to early for a build up thread now?

Do you mean the Peter O'Mahony v Leinster at Wrestlemania 37 cage match spectacular build up thread ?

No, I don't think it is too early.

• Advertisement

Do you mean the Peter O'Mahony v Leinster at Wrestlemania 37 cage match spectacular build up thread ?

POM so determined to win some silverware he made sure he had a months rest and no 6 nations distraction in the build up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Will all the internationals be available for selection for the final, coming off the back of the 6 nations. The minutes will have to be managed someway with the European game coming up too.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Will all the internationals be available for selection for the final, coming off the back of the 6 nations. The minutes will have to be managed someway with the European game coming up too.

it would appear not, i'd say rule anyone who starts vs England out.

Work your magic. :D

Whatever about what international/ first team players are available etc for the Pro14 final, I would be extremely disappointed for Dooley, Bent, Josh Murphy, Luke, Kearney and possibly Kelleher to miss out

They've not only been brilliant in the league this season, but consistently fit and available when we've really needed them. Other players have been in and out with injury and international call ups and these lads have been churning out 80 minutes (or well over 60) week in week out. Dave has played 80 minutes in all 11 of his Pro14 games (and 2 European games) and Luke has played in literally every game (Pro14 or otherwise this year)

These are the lads that got us to the final

Whatever about what international/ first team players are available etc for the Pro14 final, I would be extremely disappointed for Dooley, Bent, Josh Murphy, Luke, Kearney and possibly Kelleher to miss out

They've not only been brilliant in the league this season, but consistently fit and available when we've really needed them. Other players have been in and out with injury and international call ups and these lads have been churning out 80 minutes (or well over 60) week in week out. Dave has played 80 minutes in all 11 of his Pro14 games (and 2 European games) and Luke has played in literally every game (Pro14 or otherwise this year)

It doesn't matter. I remember BOD talking a few years ago after a final. Can't remember if they won/lost but he made the point it was for the players who had won the games week in/week out.

Leinster should try to win the game. Players in the jersey should not matter if they have played 1 or 15 games this season. Just pick the best player for that game

stephen_n wrote: »

They players are down minutes because of the cancellation of the European games. They "could" play all these games and still not hit the max games per season if you know what I mean

Yea. But rugby isn't sentimental. Coaches will pick the best team to win the game with a european cup game the following week in mind. I'd expect a mix and match

Healy
    Tracy
    Furlong
    Toner/fardy
    Ryan
    Ruddock
    Vdf
    Conan
    Luke
    Ross byrne
    Dave k
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Lowe/larmour
    Keenan/jimmy o'brien

Which is something of a mix of those with ireland and those who have played pro14 pretty regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Leinster v Toulon in the Round of 16 of the Champions Cup.

Looking forward to that one.

Home to Toulon. Bring it on!!

Few scores to settle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

If we beat Toulon, its a quarter final away to either Exeter or Lyon.

Tasty. Will be a challenge if its Exeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Coaches will pick the best team to win the game with a european cup game the following week in mind. I'd expect a mix and match

Not picking on you Franno but this is exactly why the Pro14 is a crap league. The fact that your suggestion to rest people for a final to potentially win a quarter final in another competition is seen as entirely sensible by most (myself included) is fairly damning.

Sangre wrote: »
    Not picking on you Franno but this is exactly why the Pro14 is a crap league. The fact that your suggestion to rest people for a final to potentially win a quarter final in another competition is seen as entirely sensible by most (myself included) is fairly damning.

Not really, this is a very abnormal season. Standardly that would never happen.

Sangre wrote: »

Leinster have won the pro 14 three times in a row.. it's hardly going to have the same value as Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I really don't want us to rest any players for the Pro 14 final. A trophy is important and signifies progress and the maintaining of high standards throughout the set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I would fully support using the Pro14 final to give minutes to guys who need them and a rest to the guys who need it, Europe has to be the focus.

Clegg wrote: »
    I really don't want us to rest any players for the Pro 14 final. A trophy is important and signifies progress and the maintaining of high standards throughout the set up.

winning the pro 14 signifies progress for Leinster? I disagree.

Progress would be getting to a semi final in europe.

so Leinster's intl's have potentially the following next 5 games with no rest weeks:

Scotland
    England
    Munster
    Toulon
    Exeter

so Leinster's intl's have potentially the following next 5 games with no rest weeks:

Scotland
    England
    Munster
    Toulon
    Exeter

Coming through the next 2 international weekends unscathed will be a big ask too if you ask me.

The final against Munster we see us shorn of players managing niggles more than anything else. More likely injury enforced absences than resting as such.

It would be great to get Doris back for any of these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It's been a difficult, disjointed and messy season for us. Any silverware would be great, but we've been topping the league because of a lack of credible op

Not to be too cheesy about it, but we'll gain far more than silverware this year, our 2nd/3rd string players have been getting great experience.

28 players not available in what was essentially a semi final against Ulster and to pull through that is fantastic.

This season will stand to us.

On less positive note, I don't see us beating Exeter unless Toulon can give us a good warm up to it... Probably doing a bit of a disservice to Toulon but we should be beating them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement