Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options
1328329330331332334»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Nearing closing this thread. Get your title suggestions in for the new thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

AdamD wrote: »
    I think if you went back to when it was announced, plenty of people were pretty baffled as to why he was moving from 3rd choice in Leinster to 3rd choice in Munster. Leo Cullen made some comments about it too, inferring Munster were making him promises they couldn't keep.

Trying to remember but I was sure most people thought it was puzzling. Too long ago now to remember exactly but I was sure Casey was already well on the radar as well

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sebdavis wrote: »
    I was talking about keeping the NZ lad, not about Casey.
    Casey played in the Pro14 in April 2019 so not sure how you could say he was unknown.

McCarthy was announced six months before April 2019.
    Unfortunately at his first season at Munster he was behind Mathewson and then Craig Casey once it was clear that Casey had potential.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

AdamD wrote: »
    I think if you went back to when it was announced, plenty of people were pretty baffled as to why he was moving from 3rd choice in Leinster to 3rd choice in Munster. Leo Cullen made some comments about it too, inferring Munster were making him promises they couldn't keep.

I don't think that's exactly the case, tbh. Matthewson left at the end of November, after which time, McCarthy may have expected to be 2nd choice 9 for the Dec-May of 19/20 season and all of 20/21 season.

Casey has emerged since and overtaken him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Finally got to watch the Ulster game back last night.

Given this was a game I never thought we would win, the fact we put such a score on them is extremely pleasing.

While refereeing decisions dominated this game, I think both sides definitely benefitted from some interpretations. Although Ulster were saved from a few clear cut yellows. One being Tom O'Tooles head clash with ROL and the other being a very cynical Ian Madigan ruck entry on the line. Had Leinster not scored directly after Ian would have been binned and Ulster down to 12 (!) and Frank warned him as such.

Without wanting to twist the knife to our provincial brethren, if I were an Ulster fan I'd be disappointed and concerned with that performance. Ulster were incredibly soft, devoid of any noticeable leadership and their body language ranged from bad to petulant from a number of players.

Leinster pack carried 110 times for 207 meters. Only 2 Leinster forwards managed less than 1m per carry and that was Dev who I don't think has ever averaged more than 1m in his career lol and Peter Dooley from 2 carries.

A team will never win when up against those sort of gain line successes. The flip side of it was only 2 Ulster forwards managed more than 1m per carry in EOS and the impressive Timoney.

In a full strength pack only shorn of Henderson and Herring, those stats are extremely concerning from an Ulster POV, man down or not.

Credit where it is due. They tackled their limbs off. EOS, TOT, O'Connor and Timoney all making well over 20 tackles each, Andrew and McBurney making 16 and 13 each despite only playing a half.

Another massive concern was their scrum - The trade-offs Ulster have to make between mobility and scrummaging are significant and not really helping them. It seem they either have a solid scrum or they have props contributing a high number of tackles/carries etc. round the field - They don't seem to have the ability to have both at the same time.

EOS and TOT are clearly the future and very good players , but their scrummaging needs serious work for Ulster to be truly competitive at the top-end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Dev confirms he wants to play at least 1 more season on Luke's podcast.
    Also notably said that Leo has taken a step back from forwards coach and that Robin McBryde has taken over there.

Says he is currently in negotiations with Leinster about extending his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,675 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

aloooof wrote: »
    I don't think that's exactly the case, tbh. Matthewson left at the end of November, after which time, McCarthy may have expected to be 2nd choice 9 for the Dec-May of 19/20 season and all of 20/21 season.

Mathewson hadn't renewed his contract until February 2019 as well, so it was looking like it was going to be McCarthy vs Cronin for the starting spot while Murray was gone for the RWC if Mathewson didn't renew.

It just worked out in that Mathewson renewed, Cronin stayed healthy for the majority of it and then Casey came to forefront.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Mathewson hadn't renewed his contract until February 2019 as well, so it was looking like it was going to be McCarthy vs Cronin for the starting spot while Murray was gone for the RWC if Mathewson didn't renew.

It just worked out in that Mathewson renewed, Cronin stayed healthy for the majority of it and then Casey came to forefront.

wasn't Mathewson's extension unexpected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

aloooof wrote: »

McCarthy was signed and I think everyone would agree he expected to play or get a chance during the WC. Then after signing Munster went and resigned Matthewson for that period

bayern wrote: »
    wasn't Mathewson's extension unexpected?

Yeah was a bit of a head scratcher at the time and a lot of people weren't too happy because Munster had two Irish scrumhalves in the senior squad and Casey was getting some serious hype after the performance against England in the U20 6N

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Mathewson earned the extension he got. He was an excellent addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

bayern wrote: »
    Dev confirms he wants to play 1 more season on Luke's podcast.
    Also notably said that Leo has taken a step back from forwards coach and that Robin McBryde has taken over there.

That would explain the shift we've seen in Leinsters pack this season. Adopting a much more forward centric tactic this season - although to be fair the backline injuries have probably necessitated this.

Credit to McBryde so far though. The pack has been consistently excellent regardless of who plays against who this season.

Might give the left wing a rare listen if Dev is on it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

sebdavis wrote: »
    McCarthy was signed and I think everyone would agree he expected to play or get a chance during the WC. Then after signing Munster went and resigned Matthewson for that period

During the RWC period, both McCarthy and Matthewson started 2 games. He did get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Another massive concern was their scrum - The trade-offs Ulster have to make between mobility and scrummaging are significant and not really helping them. It seem they either have a solid scrum or they have props contributing a high number of tackles/carries etc. round the field - They don't seem to have the ability to have both at the same time.

EOS and TOT are clearly the future and very good players , but their scrummaging needs serious work for Ulster to be truly competitive at the top-end.

Absolutely. Both are poor scrummagers and frequently dominated.

There's a reason TOT hasn't been capped yet despite being in the camps.

But they're both powerful, athletic units, I'd hope that with intense coaching, they can turn it around.

Bent was a poor scrummager when he first arrived but improved. Porter learned the tighthead ropes from scratch and is now a standout tighthead globally.

Mathewson earned the extension he got. He was an excellent addition.

Not disputing that, think he had blown everyone's expectations out of the water considering when the original cover deal was signed people were questioning if he was just a washed up journeyman etc.

But it definitely raised a few eyebrows in terms of the extension being allowed considering it was originally just an emergency cover deal and Cronin had extended his contract for 2 years and McCarthy had a 2 year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Closing thread due to 10K+ Posts

Continued here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement