Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,675 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

salmocab wrote: »
    Adidas have pursued deals with Leinster and Munster if those provinces don’t have any input into the quality of the stuff adidas are putting out then they have made bad deals. I’ve no doubt your right by the way but it doesn’t excuse the slop that is being made and sold.

It's a bidding process. Manufacturer says to the province hey we'll give you X amount per year on top of supplying the gear for the team/staff/academy. And that's pretty much all there is to it, it's purely financial.

Leinster couldn't care less about the quality of the supporters gear, it's not their problem. In fact other than from an overall design perspective there'd be minimal input from them into what the gear actually ends up being produced as, most teams only get a veto sort of situation if anything's seen to be against their brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It's a bidding process. Manufacturer says to the province hey we'll give you X amount per year on top of supplying the gear for the team/staff/academy. And that's pretty much all there is to it, it's purely financial.

Leinster couldn't care less about the quality of the supporters gear, it's not their problem. In fact other than from an overall design perspective there'd be minimal input from them into what the gear actually ends up being produced as, most teams only get a veto sort of situation if anything's seen to be against their brand.

Yes I get that but it still doesn’t excuse poor quality gear. If the provinces haven’t built in any clauses on quality which ultimately reflect on them then it’s a bad contract. They may not see it that way but it will still be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Clegg wrote: »
    Noel McNamara has been confirmed as Leinsters new Academy Manager. He's done brilliant work with the Ireland U20's which he can hopefully replicate with Leinsters young players.

What will his role be as Academy manager? Overseeing the development of the Academy players? What does this entail?

I question the appointment because he comes from environment that doesn't really develop players in the U20's.

I suppose he is in there because of a lack of alternatives but who else was in the frame for this do we know?

• Administrators Posts: 53,795 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

AdamD wrote: »
    Is this so that they're standardised to reduce production costs? Cause there's no way that its too expensive for a design team to work on a Leinster jersey for a bit longer.

The design team doesn’t work on Leinster jerseys. They work on a bunch of Adidas jerseys, and Leinster pick one from a list and their badge is stuck on it.

Leinster pick from the same selection of jerseys as all other Adidas affiliated rugby clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

salmocab wrote: »

Yes I get that but it still doesn’t excuse poor quality gear. If the provinces haven’t built in any clauses on quality which ultimately reflect on them then it’s a bad contract. They may not see it that way but it will still be true.

The thing is that this isn't actually case though. You're measuring the contract on factors that are important to you. But you aren't part of the deal. The only ones who can actually judge whether the deal was a good one or not are Leinster and Adidas. And from Leinsters perspective it's been a good deal. They've maximised their revenue while suffering no drawbacks. Adidas would likely have had a target in terms of profit on the kit. If they've reached or exceeded that target then it's a good deal for them. Anything and everything else is incidental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Heymans wrote: »
    What will his role be as Academy manager? Overseeing the development of the Academy players? What does this entail?

I question the appointment because he comes from environment that doesn't really develop players in the U20's.

I suppose he is in there because of a lack of alternatives but who else was in the frame for this do we know?

I think it's a very good appointment. He is very clued in regarding young players coming out of school etc and first hand knowledge of the talent coming through the 20's system.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    AdamD wrote: »
    Is this so that they're standardised to reduce production costs? Cause there's no way that its too expensive for a design team to work on a Leinster jersey for a bit longer.

The design team doesn’t work on Leinster jerseys. They work on a bunch of Adidas jerseys, and Leinster pick one from a list and their badge is stuck on it.

Leinster pick from the same selection of jerseys as all other Adidas affiliated rugby clubs.

It's not quite that simple. There is still a level of customisation for Leinster. For example the spears in the home jersey or the ogham on last seasons European jersey. So I'd imagine theres the base design with a few options or a sign off on the customisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

PMC83 wrote: »
    Yep, bit of a shame. I will be hanging onto my 14/15 season Jersey and save my cash for the new Ireland WC jersey

Good shout buying both Leinster and Ireland jerseys would be breaking the bank, the blue one is horrific I think. Adidas gear is all near identical particularly the training gear if you look at any of the super rugby teams, leinster, Munster it’s only the colour way that’s different

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Heymans wrote:

He's a development officer for the last 3 years with Leinster as well as having coached Ireland at several underage levels and been a successful schools and club coach.

He's about as good an option as could be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

managing thebacademy players and coaches. Overseeing player development. 20s is about development though and he's done a lot more than 20s as well
    Stainalert wrote: »
    I think it's a very good appointment. He is very clued in regarding young players coming out of school etc and first hand knowledge of the talent coming through the 20's system.
    and comes from non rugby environment so should appreciate the "non traditional" areas as well
    Buer wrote: »
    He's a development officer for the last 3 years with Leinster as well as having coached Ireland at several underage levels and been a successful schools and club coach.

He's about as good an option as could be found.
    yeah. Coached school and club level and done well. Coaches Irish age grade and done well. And as said above is from non rugby background before he started teaching so that will help as well IMO. Good move by leinster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Do you actually question it? Or are you just looking to stir something?

He's replacing Peter Smyth. Strong argument that Noel is more qualified than him

But Smyth has also done a stellar job at managing the academy in his time in charge.

Logic points to McNamara doing a better job

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Do you actually question it? Or are you just looking to stir something?

He's replacing Peter Smyth. Strong argument that Noel is more qualified than him

But Smyth has also done a stellar job at managing the academy in his time in charge.

Logic points to McNamara doing a better job

I'm not looking to stir something. I happen to think there are better alternatives around that haven't been given the same opportunity. Greg McWilliams being one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I'm not looking to stir something. I happen to think there are better alternatives around that haven't been given the same opportunity. Greg McWilliams being one.

Don't think you'd step down from a national job in a country you and your wife have settled down in to take an academy job. He is on a higher trajectory

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

molloyjh wrote: »
    The deal has been signed and Adidas have no interest in changing how they do things to suit a small time outfit like Leinster. How Leinster feel about it at this stage is irrelevant. That's the long and the short of it. As for Leinster, I doubt they really care that much tbh. They're driver for this isn't to keep fans happy, it's to bring in revenue. They've done that with the deals they have with Adidas and Lifestyle. It's up to them then to worry about the sale of the jerseys. Leinster can pretty much wash their hands of it. Which is how all professional clubs are these days.

It's not just how leinster feel about it. I've seen sponsors logos come off during games. I'm sure if they where paying attention to that, they'll be looking for reduction of sponsorship fees from leinster.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,563 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Don't think you'd step down from a national job in a country you and your wife have settled down in to take an academy job. He is on a higher trajectory

Competely...

It would be a massive retrograde step for mcwilliams at this stage of his career...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    FrannoFan wrote: »

Competely...

It would be a massive retrograde step for mcwilliams at this stage of his career...

Look who's making these comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'm surprised reading the comments on here about the quality of the Adidas gear. I've got some ABs and Super Rugby gear and I've had no problems with the quality. Think its very good actually.

As for the Leinster jerseys, I'm disappointed they didn't keep the dark blue pin-stripe one from last year. I thought that one looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I'm surprised reading the comments on here about the quality of the Adidas gear. I've got some ABs and Super Rugby gear and I've had no problems with the quality. Think its very good actually.

As for the Leinster jerseys, I'm disappointed they didn't keep the dark blue pin-stripe one from last year. I thought that one looked great.

The quality debate is subjective. If you're happy with it, then great. Personally, I'm in the shîte quality camp. Compared to the Canterbury gear, I think both design and quality is a massive step down.

It's especially annoying to me because Adidas put the effort in for their football gear (e.g. take a look at a Manchester United jersey next time you're in a sports shop — Adidas is embroidered on and the United logo is nicely embossed onto the kit). I know the market and budgets are bigger, but if Canterbury could do it, Adidas certainly can. Adidas make profits in the billions every year ffs.

I think the whole misaligned star farce of last year was a testament to how little Adidas give a shît about producing Leinster gear. I'd regularly buy Leinster apparel, but I certainly won't be paying for any of this Adidas gear unless there's a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

My biggest issue with the Adidas stuff is the fit.

It just doesn't fit me as well as Canterbury stuff does. Not as comfortable to wear.

It seems that way on the players too. Their stuff seems to just hang off them at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

Personally I find the Adidas training stuff fits so much better than the Canterbury. The Canterbury stuff is too heavy and snug for me. I have several Super Rugby training tops simply because they're the best to train in. But the stuff they're making for the provinces is so much cheaper in quality than the super rugby gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Subscribers Posts: 41,563 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

spaff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

The Adidas tiered system works down from

All Blacks
    Super Rugby
    USA
    Japanese Sides
    Munster/Quins
    Leinster & Brive

We are at the bottom of the tier list due to the time we've been with them The stuff is grand I find, the coats and jackets are class and the track tops etc look really nice. The away jersey is unreal and looks really well on the players I think, European is meh but looks nice. Its expensive but I like the stuff.

They're trying way too hard with that backstory-marketing bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It was very noticeable in Newcastle the lack of Adidas stuff on view compared to the Canterbury gear. Was the same at the Bath and wasps games. Think a lot of people opted not to buy last years. Maybe if that trend continues Adidas might take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

stephen_n wrote: »
    It was very noticeable in Newcastle the lack of Adidas stuff on view compared to the Canterbury gear. Was the same at the Bath and wasps games. Think a lot of people opted not to buy last years. Maybe if that trend continues Adidas might take notice.

For me the problem equally lies with Lifestyle having a monopoly. It's expensive as hell and they were sold out for a large portion of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

errlloyd wrote: »
    For me the problem equally lies with Lifestyle having a monopoly. It's expensive as hell and they were sold out for a large portion of the year.

There’s also a lack of other stuff available, Canterbury had a big range and were releasing new t-shirts during the season. Adidas are very limited

Adidas have actually been doing a lot of leisurewear/training gear for GAA clubs around me and the stuff is actually really good quality, all embroidered logos and crests etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

They're trying way too hard with that backstory-marketing bollox.

I wish the marketing backstory would just say "lads, this combination of colours, lines and contours will hide your belly as much as is humanly possible".

It would work for me anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement