Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

O'Malley and Ringer could have been pretty special. Not least because the nickname would have gone

O'Malrose
    Malrose
    Malrose Place
    Heather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Henshaw probably doesn't come to Leinster if he stayed

Henshaw was always coming to Leinster

Rob would havemoved on and henshaw would be 15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

He's only just turned 31 so he'd still be around, but realistically he'd be behind Ringrose for both province and country, equally would he have kept Payne out of the national side when BOD shuffled off? Probably not imo.

Payne probably a better 13 but let's not forget we had to play Earls at 13 in 2015.

Of all the 13s we played between BOD and Ringrose, Chubbo was better than the likes of Olding (did he play any 13?), Marshall, Earls, Cave, Fitzgerald

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Leo updated the press on team injuries ahead of the friendly games on Saturday. It's a bit out from the season but good to hear some are progressing.
    There is positive news regarding both Barry Daly (collarbone) and Adam Byrne (quad) who both picked up injuries in April, ruling them out of the end of season run-in.

Daly has trained fully with the team throughout pre-season and completed a full return to contact while Byrne has returned to full team training.

James Lowe (shoulder), Scott Penny (shoulder), Jamison Gibson-Park (hamstring), Hugo Keenan (knee) and Dan Leavy are all unavailable.

Lowe and Penny both underwent shoulder reconstruction at the end of the 2018/19 season and are progressing well since then.

Gibson-Park is returning to training following a period of rehabilitation for his hamstring injury.

Keenan sustained a knee ligament injury on international sevens duty and is currently in the final stages of his rehabilitation while Leavy had his ACL and MCL repaired in July and is undergoing rehab.

Good to see Daly and Byrne coming back to fitness and hopefully JGP and Lowes recovery times aren't too extended.

Will be great go see Fardy, Lowe and JGP in the same squads this year.

It’s a pity Penny is out at start of season...could do with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Connors should be fit so at least we have 1 open side....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

molloyjh wrote: »
    Connors should be fit so at least we have 1 open side....

Kinda forgotten about him. I wonder when we will hear any real news on Leavy.

salmocab wrote: »
    Kinda forgotten about him. I wonder when we will hear any real news on Leavy.

Not till next year

Yeah, I'd expect it to hear a huge amount for another 6 months. If he does make it back this season that would be a bonus.

So as it stands our strongest team is probably something like:

Byrne Tracy Bent
    Molony Fardy
    Deegan Doris Connors

HOS Frawley
    COB ROL
    Byrne Daly McFadden

Byrne, Dooley, Abdaladze, Dowling, Murphy, Paterson, Harry Byrne, Tomane

We can probably expect the following back by the start of the season:

Ruddock, Luke McGrath, JGP, Ross Byrne, Dave Kearney & Keenan.

Possibly Lowe and Penny too depending on their rehab. So best case would be something like:

Byrne Tracy Bent
    Molony Fardy
    Ruddock Deegan Connors

McGrath Byrne
    COB ROL
    Lowe Kearney Byrne

Byrne, Dooley, Abdaladze, Murphy, Doris, JGP, Frawley, Tomane

Mad to think that even with all the RWC absentees it's hard to find a place for Ferg or Daly. I wonder has Ferg been looking at moving back to inside centre?

• Advertisement

Ferg with the injuries will have lost a bit of speed, I can see him trying to make himself a 12 again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ferg with the injuries will have lost a bit of speed, I can see him trying to make himself a 12 again

If he's good enough to get picked there power to him.

But I want to see much more of COB there this season for the big games we don't have Henshaw for.

Really impressed me last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Mad to think that even with all the RWC absentees it's hard to find a place for Ferg or Daly. I wonder has Ferg been looking at moving back to inside centre?

I think that pecking order is still very unclear tbh. The doubts about Byrne's defence have not gone away, I'd say Daly fancies his chances. You've forgotten Kelleher too.

I think that pecking order is still very unclear tbh. The doubts about Byrne's defence have not gone away, I'd say Daly fancies his chances. You've forgotten Kelleher too.

Yeah it is unclear. And there may well be a horses for courses type selection to look at. I think Byrnes defence has improved hugely. His reading of when to push up and/or in vs not has definitely gotten better. Hopefully with a good run this season he can push on a bit more there.

I haven't forgotten Kelleher, I just dont see where he fits in tbh. Sure he could play left wing in Lowes absence, but he'll be up against Daly too and with Byrne and Ferg both fit I'd be selecting them ahead of him too, albeit they play on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah it is unclear. And there may well be a horses for courses type selection to look at. I think Byrnes defence has improved hugely. His reading of when to push up and/or in vs not has definitely gotten better. Hopefully with a good run this season he can push on a bit more there.

I haven't forgotten Kelleher, I just dont see where he fits in tbh. Sure he could play left wing in Lowes absence, but he'll be up against Daly too and with Byrne and Ferg both fit I'd be selecting them ahead of him too, albeit they play on the right.

Would he play right wing with Larmour moving back to full back on a longer term basis given that Kearney has a year left?

Would he play right wing with Larmour moving back to full back on a longer term basis given that Kearney has a year left?

Leinster see Larmour as a full back, He will have to play a more prominent role at 15 this season

Gorgeous rob can not continue for ever

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Leinster see Larmour as a full back, He will have to play a more prominent role at 15 this season

Gorgeous rob can not continue for ever

We sort of have to see him as a 15. Lowe, Daly, DK, Frawley have all got a run there too, but we haven't got an out and out 15 because Kelly, Dardis and Kelleher didn't work out.

Kelleher? No, he wouldn't be big enough for the right wing I wouldn't have thought. Hes a left wing and that's it. His only chance at game time really is if we Dave travels to the RWC and Lowe doesn't return from his shoulder reconstruction for the start of the season. If Dave is released then I'd say he plays FB with Daly/Lowe at 11. If he goes to Japan and Lowe comes back then Daly will play FB with Lowe at 11. When we're back to a full squad his chances all but disappear.

I just don't understand why he came back. I can't see where he gets much in the way of game time tbh. He'll almost certainly get a run out during the RWC as the squad is rotated a bit, but unless we've a bunch of injuries I don't see him featuring a whole lot.

errlloyd wrote: »
    We sort of have to see him as a 15. Lowe, Daly, DK, Frawley have all got a run there too, but we haven't got an out and out 15 because Kelly, Dardis and Kelleher didn't work out.

Lancaster has come out at least once saying he is a 15....he is still very young and really is a season or two in front of normal progress.....this should be his big season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Any idea if the Canada vs Leinster match is being shown on TV at all next weekend?

• Advertisement

Serbian wrote: »
    Any idea if the Canada vs Leinster match is being shown on TV at all next weekend?

Some of these games before they done via periscope or something like that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

pre season games are virtually never shown on TV. Best you will get is highlights or someonencovering game on periscope unless canadians have something covering the game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

pre season games are virtually never shown on TV. Best you will get is highlights or someonencovering game on periscope unless canadians have something covering the game

Yeah, fair. Thought that it might be different with this one since it’s an international teams World Cup warm up effectively.

Yeah, fair. Thought that it might be different with this one since it’s an international teams World Cup warm up effectively.

Leinster play better teams in the Heineken cup than anything Canada will throw at them

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leinster play better teams in the Heineken cup than anything Canada will throw at them

Sadly, given Canadas slide in recent years , I think that the comparison is more 6N's window Pro14 level..

They have fallen back dramatically in the last few years.

I thought that myself but rugby gets little coverage in Canada and even if it was televised there the chances of a steam would be slim.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Sadly, given Canadas slide in recent years , I think that the comparison is more 6N's window Pro14 level..

They have fallen back dramatically in the last few years.

This essentially. Very poor side

• Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

In the Pro 14 too. Pity, Canada were on a serious upward trajectory for a while. Shame.

Anybody down at the Coventry match today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Edmc123

For the people who went to the Coventry match on Saturday did any of the young Leinster players stand out?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement