Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Baird has been very impressive at the lineout today. Carried very well too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ClanofLams wrote: »
    True but it’s partly their fault too. They’re providing enough funding to keep them alive but not much more ala Connacht ten years ago. IRFU did review that showed national team needs four provincial teams to be competitive so decided to properly support Connacht. WRU should decide what they want, keeping them in existence but with a budget which means they are miles off serves little purpose.

According to Jackman last year they had a couple of goals. The u20 to senior conversion is low, so they wanted Dragons to pick up young players who got dropped by the other regions

Try and find some players who had moved to lower English divisions and bring them back.

More or less become a feeder club.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Poor Jackman's trying his absolute hardest to make it out that the Dragons aren't absolutely brutal. It's like spraying an air freshener into a blocked toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I know some people wont like it but based on the preseason games and the games so far in Pro14 Dave Kearney has to be in the mix for a starting spot for Ireland

Pre-season games and a romp against the Dragons? I thought the yardstick was performing in the Champions Cup...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Lowe is a sh1t stirrer, he's great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Harry Byrne MOTM. You'd wonder what the family dynamic would be like if he starts to push Ross for the backup spot to Sexton over the next year.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Pre-season games and a romp against the Dragons? I thought the yardstick was performing in the Champions Cup...

Hence why I posted " based on the preseason games and the games so far in Pro14"

Maybe you missed that part of the post....not exactly sure how seeing it was nearly the whole sentence

Harry Byrne MOTM. You'd wonder what the family dynamic would be like if he starts to push Ross for the backup spot to Sexton over the next year.

If they bring in rule about the kicking into touch and getting the throw in then you might see both of them on the pitch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

That’s one of the most facile wins I’ve ever seen in the RDS

Hence why I posted " based on the preseason games and the games so far in Pro14"

Maybe you missed that part of the post....not exactly sure how seeing it was nearly the whole sentence

No I didn't miss it, in fact I pretty much quoted that part of your post. Maybe you missed that.

Just strange how your previous yardstick for players being selected for Ireland ahead of Leinster players was playing in Champions Cup, that Pro14 form didn't count, but DK is touted for a spot on the Ireland team based on Pro14 games . Not like you would have double standards or anything...

• Advertisement

No I didn't miss it, in fact I pretty much quoted that part of your post. Maybe you missed that.

Just strange how your previous yardstick for players being selected for Ireland ahead of Leinster players was playing in Champions Cup, that Pro14 form didn't count, but DK is touted for a spot on the Ireland team based on Pro14 games . Not like you would have double standards or anything...

Twisting my post a small bit? Seriously grow up!!!!

As I posted before the form in Europe will decide the ireland team

As per my post if you just took into consideration the preseason and pro 14 form so far D Kearney would be in running

Two different statements but you know that, no idea who your trying to impress

Twisting my post a small bit? Seriously grow up!!!!

As I posted before the form in Europe will decide the ireland team

As per my post if you just took into consideration the preseason and pro 14 form so far D Kearney would be in running

Two different statements but you know that, no idea who your trying to impress

Nice ninja edit. Good choice. As you're clearly very sensitive to any criticism of your opinions I will leave this one here. Careful what you call other posters in future.

Nice ninja edit. Good choice. As you're clearly very sensitive to any criticism of your opinions I will leave this one here. Careful what you call other posters in future.

Twisting posts is different to criticism....

You are well aware the conversations are different but try to start some petty argument?

What exactly did you expect to gain from posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

Clegg wrote: »
    Baird has been very impressive at the lineout today. Carried very well too.

Also it's like having an extra back-row, he defends well at ruck time. disrupted a couple of the Dragons line-outs as well. very promising first full senior cap

Twisting posts is different to criticism....

You are well aware the conversations are different but try to start some petty argument?

What exactly did you expect to gain from posting?

I thought about replying with a snide gif but that's more your style. They might be different conversations in your head, if you engage in cognitive dissonance, but I simply made an observation based on previous posts of yours that were contradictory to the point you made tonight. You are clearly hyper sensitive to any criticism of your inconsistency, so I'm not going to pour any more petrol on your fire tonight. Have a beer and calm down.

I thought about replying with a snide gif but that's more your style. They might be different conversations in your head, if you engage in cognitive dissonance, but I simply made an observation based on previous posts of yours that were contradictory to the point you made tonight. You are clearly hyper sensitive to any criticism of your inconsistency, so I'm not going to pour any more petrol on your fire tonight. Have a beer and calm down.

The GIF was the perfect response.....touched a nerve?

Small bit condescending with your “have a beer”....If anything I think based on the responses I think you may need to calm down

If you want to twist people posts, off you go...next time maybe choose another of my posts because you made a real mess with the last two

Poor all the petrol you want....hasn’t worked for you so far but I’m sure you will keep trying

Cheerio

PS your making a real mess of this thread which was a decent discussion about the game....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Not to detract from the spat, but I have to say......

....I f-ing love this team. That was a callow XV to put out and not only did they score a half century, but the fight at the end not to concede when there was absolutely nothing on the line was great to see (I realise they did eventually concede). Thought Baird was great. MOTM contender. Really impressive stuff against a Dragons team that wasnt as bad as some of the performances we've seen from them previously. That Kearney try in those conditions was superb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The GIF was the perfect response.....touched a nerve?

Small bit condescending with your “have a beer”....If anything I think based on the responses I think you may need to calm down

If you want to twist people posts, off you go...next time maybe choose another of my posts because you made a real mess with the last two

Poor all the petrol you want....hasn’t worked for you so far but I’m sure you will keep trying

Cheerio

PS your making a real mess of this thread which was a decent discussion about the game....

Lads, get a room.

Seriously. :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Moving on, I can't understand how HB got MOTM with 2 missed kicks. I really thought JL deserved it, smug as he was, he put in a great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Steve wrote: »
    Moving on, I can't understand how HB got MOTM with 2 missed kicks. I really thought JL deserved it, smug as he was, he put in a great performance.

I think he got it because he’s a young lad playing well in his first start, there were no stand out performances tonight, thought we were almost a bit flat despite it being a romp in an odd way. Weather certainly didn’t help and I realise scoring 50 and the result never been in doubt goes against that but we never seemed to be in a high gear. That all said I enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Steve wrote: »

Amongst other stats, 14 metres gained, 24 passes, 63% kick success, one try, missed two of seven tackles. You're not wrong, it's a bit average for MOTM.

Meanwhile JL beat four defenders, made 125 metres (50 more than anyone else) scored two tries and made 3/3 tackles. One solitary pass in the game too!

James Lowe certainly had the stats to back up being MOTM but likely a reward for youth and a great first start at ten I'd say. Plus his cross kicks were generally very good including the one for Kearneys unreal try.

Amongst other stats, 14 metres gained, 24 passes, 63% kick success, one try, missed two of seven tackles. You're not wrong, it's a bit average for MOTM.

Meanwhile JL beat four defenders, made 125 metres (50 more than anyone else) scored two tries and made 3/3 tackles. One solitary pass in the game too!

James Lowe certainly had the stats to back up being MOTM but likely a reward for youth and a great first start at ten I'd say. Plus his cross kicks were generally very good including the one for Kearneys unreal try.

It’s good to give the young players a boost like that. He did play well and for the cross field kick to Kearney it was best passage of play in game

Anyone see at the start the Dragons player have 3-4 “late” tackles on him as he released. He said nothing for a few and then had a right go ala Sexton and it stopped....

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He’s performed in the Champions Cup as well.

Faugheen wrote: »
    He’s performed in the Champions Cup as well.

Don’t bite

I think D Kearney played well in the limited time he got in Ireland warm up matchs and has continued that run of form. The fact he has got a decent run of games without an injury has helped

Could we see him and Lowe start on wings in Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You'd imagine Lowe and Larmour will be the first choice wings this season, but DK is way ahead of everyone else.

For Ireland, again he probably needs an injury or two but can't be far away. Hard to tell with a new coach coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Don’t bite

I think D Kearney played well in the limited time he got in Ireland warm up matchs and has continued that run of form. The fact he has got a decent run of games without an injury has helped

Could we see him and Lowe start on wings in Europe?

Larmour is going to start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's time Larmour was made starting full back. Judging by his world cup performances he's improved a lot as a 15. This is Kearney's last season afaik and by his WC performances he's definitely on the way down

Larmour is 15 and I thought that was the plan. According to Lancaster he is 15....for the big games he needs to start 15. Yes we have Rob this year but really we need to have Larmour starting as many games as possible......

We should not be in the position next year that Rob needs to be signed for another year, unless as a coach

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I’m not sure Larmour is the best option. I think I’d prefer him on the right wing. Would like to see Lowe there a little at a decent level

• Advertisement

I’m not sure Larmour is the best option. I think I’d prefer him on the right wing. Would like to see Lowe there a little at a decent level

He hasn't played 15 for Leinster? I can't remember seeing him play 15? could be wrong of course. Did he play 15 in NZ?

Lancaster has mentioned a few times Larmour is a quality 15, when he got his chance during WC he was very good. He has never got a run of games at 15 for Leinster. Give him 10 starts in a row and see how he goes. He had some decent games last season, just everyone remembers the Toulouse game when he was out of position but that was his ?? start at 15?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement